Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Narcissistic rant against narcissism.
Narcissistic rant against narcissism.
2003-12-12, 5:19 AM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Gris, your missing one very important point: Everything that can be said, has already been said. Therefore, no matter what you say, you werent the first to say it....

</font>

Only if you're a dimwitted hack...
Those bees all have paws!
2003-12-12, 11:07 AM #42
All your radical ideas about dimwitted hacks have already occurred to others.
I just bought real estate in your mind.
2003-12-12, 12:54 PM #43
I think there is still plenty of room for things for new things to be said. Not fundamental ideas, but the world is always evolving, and people are seeing more and more of it. When you talk influences and merge them together, you get completely new ideas.

Take music for example. You can look at some bands which are truely new and fresh, but you can also see exactly what their influences were.

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2003-12-12, 1:17 PM #44
I'd like to reply to this thread in full, but to do so properly would require the effort needed to write a philosophical book. What I will say is "go TLTE!" That, and I have a particular point I want to address:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whelly:
Anyone read the book Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury? In the book, it shows a world where the government censors everything and basically brainwashes the nation into not thinking. Books are banned, because they make the people think for themselves, so they are replaced by televisions. The problem with televisions is that there is no time to digest the information, to think about what is happening. Everything goes by so fast... you can never think for yourselves.

Real revolution starts at learning. If you're not angry, then you are not paying attention.
</font>

I've read that book, and I agree with everything but the last statement. I know the point you wish to make, but the focus on the feeling is too much. That, and I don't feel TV, the media, government, organized religions, and anything refered to as "the system" is responsible for any negatively perceived state of humanity, nor are they autonomous mechanisms we have no control over. But if I get anymore into that, I'll have to start writing on that phlosophy book...

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Dead
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2003-12-12, 2:34 PM #45
You sunk my battleship
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2003-12-12, 3:15 PM #46
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Korin:
All your radical ideas about dimwitted hacks have already occurred to others.</font>

Clever, but predictable. I suppose you'll do it again. Whatever.
2003-12-12, 3:24 PM #47
That's the beauty of it, Yoss.

I can't take credit, though: it's a meme I picked up at E2.
2003-12-12, 6:12 PM #48
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Eversor: By the way, you used "narcissism" improperly.</font>

I'm afraid that you're mistaken. I admitted that my rant was narcissistic manifestation, and that it pertained to the fact that many "bestow social honours upon one another for better mastery over identifying these pointless and utterly meaningless shadows", which, unless I am mistaken, does constitute as narcissism.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Go ahead, cover it up with some big words, throw in some Greek philosophy, and what? Suddenly people on an internet forum are confused because you have a thesaurus.</font>

I'm deeply sorry if I think with a large vocabulary, and more so if that gravely offends you. Had I used something more vernacular, I'd imagine you'd be calling me an idiot right now anyway.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2003-12-12, 6:24 PM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Eversor: In reality, what your saying is not at all 'new' or 'witty'. People have always thought that TV is mindwashing.</font>

My rant did not have that large of a scope. I was not preaching on social liberation. Of course I know that others have thought the same as I, and that my rant was not the first written on TV in such a manner. I hope that I did not adopt so wide a view as to have stated that one should never draw on the works of others, or rely solely upon themselves. I merely was complaining about television as a reflection of mental over-dependence.

And my apologies for having put your name in front of Kieran's quotation, Ictus.

[This message has been edited by Lord_Grismath (edited December 12, 2003).]
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2003-12-12, 8:20 PM #50
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
I'm deeply sorry if I think with a large vocabulary, and more so if that gravely offends you. Had I used something more vernacular, I'd imagine you'd be calling me an idiot right now anyway.</font>

For some reason, I have trouble swallowing that

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-12, 10:18 PM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm deeply sorry if I think with a large vocabulary</font>

When you use "big" words for no apparent reason, you just end up looking arrogant.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2003-12-13, 4:29 AM #52
and yet to do so, you must use examples such as the "Allegory of the Cave"? You go out of your way to be 'less coherent?' why? There's no reason for you to behave that way; you're on a Star Wars gaming site. I've read what you said, and you bloody well did say that you think quoting from television is a sign of a lack of intelligence and wit.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why is it that these zombies of the spoonfed television 'culture' go about regurgitating lines etched into their subconscious to one another, recounting in minute and fastidious detail specific scenes that all members of the conversation already have memorised?</font>

I'm sorry, if that isn't condesending, I don't know what is.

Ontop of it, you're very specific about quotations. I use quotes from TVs and Movies all the time, and yes, so do many of my friends. To be honest, some of the funniest situations that have ever occured I have witnessed, I swear! And many of them have been quotes used in context that you wouldn't expect.

------------------

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2003-12-13, 4:50 AM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When you use "big" words for no apparent reason, you just end up looking arrogant.</font>

There is an apparent reason, though, which I stated. I think in those terms, and the 'rant' was exactly what I was thinking as I typed. I included a 'translation' afterwards. Why couldn't I have just written it that way to begin with? Those had not been my original thoughts.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You go out of your way to be 'less coherent?' why? There's no reason for you to behave that way; you're on a Star Wars gaming site. I've read what you said, and you bloody well did say that you think quoting from television is a sign of a lack of intelligence and wit.</font>

It wasn't a conscious effort to do so, it was an observation made afterwards. I typed the content, and then put that little introduction on top. I'm sorry for not conforming to the 'norms of a Star Wars gaming site', I'll try to behave in a less sophisticated manner next time. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

And I do think that quoting like that is a lack of intelligence and wit. You don't have to agree, but why are you criticizing the way I think? Wouldn't you say that that's a little arrogant?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2003-12-13, 4:58 AM #54
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
I'm sorry for not conforming to the 'norms of a Star Wars gaming site', I'll try to behave in a less sophisticated manner next time. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]</font>

Oh Christ...

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2003-12-13, 5:28 AM #55
Is this slowly becoming a flame?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
---@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-12-13, 5:40 AM #56
[Edit: I apologize. I've been far too agressive on this thread, and I don't really have anything to prove by calling you arrogant. Sometimes these threads... Usually these threads get way too out of hand, and an argument builds up that simply cannot be stopped. I'll go ahead and compromise before that point. We're all better off that way.]

------------------

Eddie Vedder

[This message has been edited by Eversor (edited December 13, 2003).]
former entrepreneur
2003-12-13, 7:43 AM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think in those terms</font>

Right. Sorry if I don't buy that...

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2003-12-13, 7:47 AM #58
Understood and accepted, Eversor.

Tracer, there's no way that I can make you believe it, so I won't try.

This is the way all good discussions should end, everyone leaves with their friendships, egos, and self-esteems intact. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2003-12-13, 9:23 AM #59
Gris: I used to write just like you do. Then I realized that the purpose of writing in a public forum is to communicate, not to engage in mental self-gratification. Forcing vocabulary results in a stilted and pretentious product ("something more vernacular", "others have thought the same as I"). It doesn't matter that you know what the word means (or don't know - narcissism is an excessive love of self): if it doesn't contribute to the reader's understanding of your idea, it's not worth including.
I just bought real estate in your mind.
2003-12-13, 9:28 AM #60
God forbid forcing others out of their own intellectual bubbles- THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY LEARN SOMETHING.
2003-12-13, 11:12 AM #61
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">(or don't know - narcissism is an excessive love of self)</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I'm afraid that you're mistaken. I admitted that my rant was narcissistic manifestation, and that it pertained to the fact that many "bestow social honours upon one another for better mastery over identifying these pointless and utterly meaningless shadows", which, unless I am mistaken, does constitute as narcissism.
</font>

And by narcissistic manifestation, I meant that it was the result of my inflated admiration of myself. -_-

I agree that one should consider his audience when writing, but when I philosophize, I philosophize. And it came straight from my mind to the keyboard. Contrary to the incredulities of some of you, I do think that way. That doesn't mean I walk around like some sort of bygone professor, I just write like one from time to time.

[This message has been edited by Lord_Grismath (edited December 13, 2003).]
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2003-12-13, 1:32 PM #62
Gris: The first use of narcissism in the title is correct. The second is not. Additionally, "incredulities" is not a word.

When you're writing for your own amusement, don't publish it. Other people's pretentious philosophizing is like painfully poor poetry. As is their ego stroking, actually.

↑ Up to the top!