Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'll be the bad guy.
I'll be the bad guy.
2004-10-12, 1:27 AM #1
Okay, probably a lot of you will hate me for this, but we'll see how it goes for a few days. I turned vbcode OFF for signatures, because quite a few people are making annoying things in their sigs - like tons of colors. Signature length is also an issue, please keep your signature 3 lines or less.

Feel free to leave feedback but there will be no immediate action on said feedback at least for a few days while we see how things go.
2004-10-12, 1:29 AM #2
I can't believe "OWNED" with a "p" is censored. That's just messed up.
2004-10-12, 1:33 AM #3
Good idea. Some of the sigs were really starting to bug me.
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-10-12, 1:36 AM #4
But now even links won't work, and they've always been allowed.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-10-12, 1:39 AM #5
I liked my sig small. :(
2004-10-12, 2:17 AM #6
I don't know what's worse... the sigs then or the sigs now.
2004-10-12, 2:53 AM #7
There was some debate in the admin forum about whether link/url tags would work with vbcode off - will someone please confirm that it doesn't work? If this is the case I may have to change it back :( Maybe I can filter out color/sizes ... *sigh* another programming task.
2004-10-12, 2:58 AM #8
Colours and increasing size were annoying to me in signatures,

Although now, there are loads of tags in the signatures. Hopefully people will spot them and take them out. Overall, I prefer vB [oops - nearly wrote UBB!] off for signatures.
2004-10-12, 3:10 AM #9
Eh heh... If you thought signatures with active vbcode look bad, you might be surprised that signatures with inactive vbcode look 500% worse. When I look at all that messed vbcode mumbo jumbo with bits and pieces of intelligent text mixed inside, it makes me sick.

This deactivation only succeeds in cleaning the forums if all the people edit the inactive vbcode out of their signatures. It wasn't such a big deal for me: just one pair of italic tags away...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-10-12, 3:15 AM #10
I've removed the code from my sig. Hell, I removed the whole sig. I am quite happy with this, because yes there were many annoying sigs. I'm looking at you, Elana.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-10-12, 3:22 AM #11
Had a bit of a browse around the forums, and some people's sigs are now wider than the width of any reasonable person's screen, because the extra tags don't have spaces to line break on.

Would it be possible to just make the boards silently ignore these tags? (i.e. parses for them, but just doesn't add in the HTML formatting that they would normally trigger)
2004-10-12, 3:30 AM #12
I've been sad at most of the other nerfs, but this one I don't mind. Ban signatures totally, I say.

On a separate note, I never really understood the point of vB code at all. Why not just let us HTML, all Livejournal style? As long as you put the same limits on what tags and attributes can be used, it'd be exactly the same. Instead of having to remember HTML code and vB code, and then remembering where to use what and how, we can just use HTML code everywhere. vB code really isn't any 'simpler' than HTML.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-12, 3:37 AM #13
Well, I guess I have to fix my sig. :(
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-10-12, 3:49 AM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
I've been sad at most of the other nerfs, but this one I don't mind. Ban signatures totally, I say.

On a separate note, I never really understood the point of vB code at all. Why not just let us HTML, all Livejournal style? As long as you put the same limits on what tags and attributes can be used, it'd be exactly the same. Instead of having to remember HTML code and vB code, and then remembering where to use what and how, we can just use HTML code everywhere. vB code really isn't any 'simpler' than HTML.

We'd have to be very careful about this to prevent someone from posting potentially malicious code. I remember there was a problem with the Trillian forums a while back, someone made a post that caused people to automatically get banned without doing anything wrong.
2004-10-12, 3:59 AM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
There was some debate in the admin forum about whether link/url tags would work with vbcode off - will someone please confirm that it doesn't work? If this is the case I may have to change it back :( Maybe I can filter out color/sizes ... *sigh* another programming task.

Oh yeah, links DEFINATELY don't work.

The colors really didn't bother me, as long as it wasn't like 20 lines of sig. But either way, I just want my links back.
2004-10-12, 4:09 AM #16
disable colors altogheter and the problem will be solved. some people just can't figure out how to use them moderatly.

and now my sig is bigger :(
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-10-12, 4:09 AM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
Eh heh... If you thought signatures with active vbcode look bad, you might be surprised that signatures with inactive vbcode look 500% worse.

Word
But I do like the idea of making people keep their signatures simple
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-10-12, 4:32 AM #18
Ooooh.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-10-12, 5:22 AM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Acharjay
I've removed the code from my sig. Hell, I removed the whole sig. I am quite happy with this, because yes there were many annoying sigs. I'm looking at you, Elana.

what is the point of haveing cool stuff if you cant even use it?, why did we even switch forums if no one wants anything to change? and if you really are bothered by sigs that much, you can personally go turn it off though your 'user controll panel', that is what that switch is for.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-10-12, 5:27 AM #20
I like the quote in your sig, I still find it funny even though it's an old old joke.
I don't remember seeing it before the vbcode was turned off, but it looks to me like you've merely turned it orange, no big deal there... right?
2004-10-12, 5:39 AM #21
KIll the vbcode, sure, but allow links......please? :o
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-10-12, 5:43 AM #22
but links show up as green; the only color the people on this webcite arnt afraid of.

people have this much problem with formattting text and you were going to turn on Avatar's? there will be riots.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-10-12, 5:48 AM #23
hater.
2004-10-12, 6:03 AM #24
Elana, Green is much different than orange. First of all, green matches this webSites colors. Orange is bright and annoying.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-10-12, 6:06 AM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by LightStaff
hater.
2004-10-12, 6:08 AM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Elana14
what is the point of haveing cool stuff if you cant even use it?, why did we even switch forums if no one wants anything to change? and if you really are bothered by sigs that much, you can personally go turn it off though your 'user controll panel', that is what that switch is for.

Because these forums are far easier to administrate than the old ones. The db search routines on the old forums were so inefficient that it took 5 minutes to wait for a single page to load on the Admin cp.
2004-10-12, 6:38 AM #27
Anyone else reminded of that Simpsons episode where everyone in Springfield Elementary has to wear the same dull drab grey uniform? :(

Guess I just like things which add a little personality to the forums...
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-12, 6:56 AM #28
Hmm, I must say you have a point Spork.
I don't actually remember seeing anthing that really annoyed me, but then, I've only just come back, so I may easily have miseed things.
2004-10-12, 7:06 AM #29
:(
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-12, 7:29 AM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
Anyone else reminded of that Simpsons episode where everyone in Springfield Elementary has to wear the same dull drab grey uniform? :(

massassi green >>>>>>>>>>>>>> drab grey

sigs were annoying. people who do silly things (like having 15 lines sigs - aaaaaaarg!) should be shot, then banned, then shot again.

ok, I don't feel that strongly, but some people were being a tad silly.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-10-12, 7:43 AM #31
The option to not even show signatures is easily my favorite feature of the new boards.

Regardless of colors, font size and even length, everything in a signature, without exception, is complete worthless trash. I don't care about your chat logs, the "funny" thing you said in an IM or whether some forum member is > satan, hitler or god. Worst of all are the people who just write their damn NAME there, as if it didn't already appear right next to their two sentence long post. I guarantee you, I will not forget your name in the time it takes to read twenty three words.

I'm getting worked up over nothing. :P Anyway, uh, good luck with your rainbow text with varying font size. If what you have to say isn't interesting, at least the method in which you say it might be.
2004-10-12, 7:59 AM #32
Not all sigs are bad, sometimes they have interesting links or what not. All I know is that jeeze, I like the old forums better now.

And besides, couldn't you have given a warning then take everything away if no one listened? This was rather unprecedented.
2004-10-12, 8:01 AM #33
Well... My sig is now a billion times longer than it was before. I know it was a bit long before, which is exactly why I sized it down to what appeared to be standard sig size.

Well, everyone enjoy my annoyingly oversized sig now.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-10-12, 8:07 AM #34
IF sigs bother you so much, Brian, why the hell don't you just go into your user CP and turn them off? Why alienate us all over again? This is ****.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-12, 8:14 AM #35
I think the only decent use of color and size formatting in any sig was SavageX's.

That said, I don't really care about sigs. Hell, look at my own. I just care about sig LENGTHS D:<

WTF?! How did that happen to my sig o_O

Oh, right, you admins played a trick on me.

Tricksie tricksie
D E A T H
2004-10-12, 8:29 AM #36
Mine's simple, and it serves a purpose of promoting my previous works. What's so inherently wrong with that?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-12, 8:38 AM #37
Instead of complaining so much about the length of your sigs, you could try taking out all the crap that doesn't work and shorten it to the 3 lines as required.
That is the point of this, to see how we go in a world without vbcode, and in a world without it you wouldn't be using those commands.
I'd reccomend keeping a backup of the old one in a text file or something if you don't wanna type it all back in when (no wait, if) vbcode gets turned back on
2004-10-12, 8:43 AM #38
Can you atleast bring the url code back?
2004-10-12, 8:55 AM #39
I think we should just add some ground rules regarding signatures to the rules page and re-enable it.....because having no urls in signatures really really bites.

Hell I'd rather put up with the odd ugly vbcode sig than lose all the links.
2004-10-12, 8:58 AM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by maevie
massassi green >>>>>>>>>>>>>> drab grey

sigs were annoying. people who do silly things (like having 15 lines sigs - aaaaaaarg!) should be shot, then banned, then shot again.

ok, I don't feel that strongly, but some people were being a tad silly.

I agree fully with the 15 lines thing. 3 is heaps, norma font size or smaller.

But I got nothing against a little c o l o u r .
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

↑ Up to the top!