Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do any of you own swords?
Do any of you own swords?
2004-10-13, 12:50 PM #1
I'm thinking of starting a katana collection. Authentic swords are well out of my budget ( US $1500 and up each) so I'll have to settle for reproductions that are a bit more affordable. I could always get originals later when I'm old and rich.

I have a question, though... Do you have to have some sort of license to have such weapons in your possession? I know ninja stars are illegal so those are out of the question, but what about katanas and other asian weapons?

Anyway, if you have a sword (any type) post it!
2004-10-13, 12:52 PM #2
Somewhere hidden at the back of a garage is a claymore that a friends dad made 10 years ago that is falling apart...
nope.
2004-10-13, 12:55 PM #3
Brought it home from a holiday in Spain :D Pictures not so good, I know, I'll probably try and get a better one sometime. I also know that there'll be a sword expert here who'll tell me it really sucks or whatever, but it's a nice decoration so...

Link
2004-10-13, 1:01 PM #4
nice. how much did it cost you?
2004-10-13, 1:02 PM #5
I used to own a katana.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-10-13, 1:05 PM #6
Let's see...it was 48.50 Euros, so that's about $60 (US) I think?
2004-10-13, 1:07 PM #7
Some guy paid £1.500 to have the Master Sword actually forged. I want that sword.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-10-13, 1:12 PM #8
[http://homepage.ntlworld.com/n.albring/mortswords/swordsbotha.jpg]
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-13, 1:19 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf
Some guy paid £1.500 to have the Master Sword a ctually forged. I want that sword.

that is awsome, i want one
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-10-13, 1:22 PM #10
A friend of mine is an avid sword collector, and another person I know owns a few Katanas, cool stuff :cool:
2004-10-13, 1:22 PM #11
Oh, it's one of those. Haha :) They peddle them to tourists in every single tourist knick-knack shop in Spain in every town that's vaguely medieval. I have several Portuguese friends who bought some and when they got back they went into a field and went slicing flowers :p

At least those claim to be made out of "Real Toledo Steel", but y'know, they still aren't "real". They seem to be stamped metal, instead of the layered folding process that the real ones should have.

Good page on a very informative FAQ, if you're serious

You just can't get a genuine one if you aren't willing to spend some cash.

If you're just looking for a stamped metal replica that looks like a katana so that you can run around in your backyard and chop branches with, or play "showdown at the house of blue leaves" with 88 friends, I guess any old one'll do. There are plenty of FranklinMint-type websites and catalogues that sell stuff like that. Do a google and take your pick. Just try not to cry to hard once you scratch it or dent it or if it suddenly snaps.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-10-13, 1:47 PM #12
My friend Eddie is quite the martial artist, he's all sorts of high-end in senjiuru, so he's got sais and bokken and a daisho [actually my friend Dave who lives there has another daisho as well] and a bo and [*love*] a naginata. It really is a beautiful thing to see.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-10-13, 2:07 PM #13
I only have an axe. :/
2004-10-13, 2:56 PM #14
I have a pair of sai and nunchukas that I've used, as well as a bo staff. Fun stuff, teh martial arts is. Although, I think the chucks are worthless weapon vs. weapon.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-10-13, 3:13 PM #15
What use is a weapon if you don't know how to use it.
2004-10-13, 3:59 PM #16
I have a wooden broadsword that I used to kill tresspassing snakes with. After watching The Crocodile Hunter for so many years though, I've learn to catch them with my bare hands and release them back into the wild. :]
2004-10-13, 4:34 PM #17
I've got quite a few actually. Where I'm at, you can even own shuriekens (sp?).. Never heard that they were illegal anywhere until now. :p
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-10-13, 5:44 PM #18
Friend of hte famliy gave it to my dad...
This is obviously not "the" sword used in the movie, but it's an exact replica.

[http://www.battleorders.co.uk/acatalog/UC1298instand.jpg]
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2004-10-13, 5:57 PM #19
I have a sword. It is quite long. I usually have it between my legs.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-10-13, 6:01 PM #20
im GETTING a set of kama... but i want a freakin Dai-Katana... or even a replica of Sephrioths Murasame... or the Buster Sword... or even a freakin Bayonet (Wild arms series) it looks like a gunblade... but it's a rifle
please... NO MORE OATMEAL COOKIES THE PAIN!!!!
2004-10-13, 6:17 PM #21
You have my sword...
...and you have my bow...
Quote:
Originally posted by gothicX
I only have an axe. :/
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-10-13, 6:24 PM #22
That reminds me of this.
2004-10-13, 6:36 PM #23
No swords, but very many knives.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-13, 7:02 PM #24
Sephiroth's Masamune = 6 feet.
Buster sword = Several butter knives taped together.
2004-10-13, 7:17 PM #25
I want a Gladius
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-10-13, 7:24 PM #26
We own a real samurai sword my grandfather brought back from WWII. Me and my dad showed it to some samurai guy we met at a gun show and he said that it was over 500 years old. I still don't know the details, but some day I'll get it checked out. I could post a pic if you want.
2004-10-13, 7:24 PM #27
My friend, Will, has 3 or 4 swords, a battle axe, something that looks like a klingon weapon but isn't, and 4 throwing knifes shaped like cards (Gambit). He also wants a war hammer, but he wants to find out if he can legally walk around with it first. Some cops have said yes, while others have said no.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-10-13, 7:44 PM #28
I have a ninja bokken, I'm looking into getting a katana and a wakizashi bokken next week.

My brother-in-law gave me two swords before I left for college, didn't bring them with me. I think one was one of those psuedo-ninja kens that's just a blade with a cord wrapped around the tang. the other has a viking sword type hilt, and a blade that was kind of wavy, where the waves ended in a point. Kinda hard to explain.

My other brother-in-law's father has a 12th century katana blade, it's gorgeous. If you want to see some really nice katanas, wakizashis, tachis, etc. try nihonto.com. They have some great auctions on real blades, way out of most of our price ranges, but truly beautiful.

I want to get one of those celtic-sword reproductions. I think it looks cooler than a gladius. (It's kinda sad that, with gladiuses (gladii?) and celtic swords, etc., the 440 stainless is a much stronger metal than the original swords were cast in).
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-10-13, 7:47 PM #29
For Pagewizard

On that note, I love swords, but a bo-staff is far more cool.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-13, 7:49 PM #30
I keep my sword in my pants.

HAH!LOL
2004-10-13, 7:53 PM #31
That's your sword. It's just so dirty when you brought it in here, you just don't recognize it.
2004-10-13, 8:08 PM #32
I just want Blade's sword and glaives.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-10-14, 3:23 AM #33
I would have had a sword of my own design, made by an expert blacksmith, but unfortunately the old man was having problems with his heart, as he had earlier suffered an infarct, and as the work of a blacksmith isn't a light one, he had to cancel the process.

So, now I'm stuck only with a souvenir machete of questionable quality...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-10-14, 11:48 AM #34
I was gonna buy a katana but was then adviced not to on account of mental instability.

Nuff said.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-10-14, 12:07 PM #35
I don't..but I'll have a fencing foil as soon as I get around (or can afford) to order/ing one..
woot!
2004-10-14, 3:47 PM #36
I have several.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-10-14, 4:28 PM #37
I have a gun...?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-10-14, 5:32 PM #38
I don't have a camera on me right now but I have a set like this except the handles are carved into the shape of a dragon head and it has scenery engraved in it.
No sig.
2004-10-17, 1:25 PM #39
I've been meaning to reply to this for awhile.

I've been into swords for awhile. I only own a couple. One a terribly overpriced version of a ninja-to by the Franklin Mint that I bought over a decade ago. The other is a decent quality version of the Highlander sword used by Adrian Paul in the Highlander TV series. That is my favorite of the two.

I would like to buy the Arwen sword from FotR just for looks, of course. It's pretty cheap. I will eventually buy some high quality swords made by Cold Steel. I own several of their knives already. Their prices our extremely high but a little searching on google will result in some much lower priced vendors.

Page, request one of their DVDs. It might take abit but some cool, if not corny, demonstrations on there.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-10-17, 2:14 PM #40
two words: Paul Chen
"...Those living for death will die by their own hand, Life's no ordeal if you come to terms, Reject the system dictating the norms..."

↑ Up to the top!