Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Poor mice :(
Poor mice :(
2004-10-14, 3:34 PM #1
A few months ago there was a mouse in my house. My mom got freaked out by hearing it running across the celing in my cellar everytime she was watching TV. I tried thinking of a way to get the mouse out of our house without killing it. I just couldnt capture it. It was really small and fast. It ran UNDER THE CRACK IN MY DOOR one day when I saw it running around on my floor. So my mom tries mouse traps, they don't work because the mouse was too small to make the trap go off. So she gets some of these weird sticky traps, and within a day she catches the mouse (I didn't see it).

Come to find out she was pregnant...this mouse left us with a few MORE mice...One of the baby mice got captured on a sticky trap, and I saw it...sitting there dead. I didn't really think much of it. But I noticed these mice were so cute and tiny. Small grey, about as small as a quarter. Then the next day we found one of the mice in a sink, just sitting there...so we pick it up and place it outside.

A month or two has passed and we havent heard any noises or signs of mice, the traps were empty. Just 20 mins or so ago I walked downstairs and heard a squeek...then I heard it again...and again. I check the room where I hear the noise, and I see two suffering baby mice...so small and so cute...they are stuck to the sticky mouse trap squeeking and crying their little hearts out. One was curled up in a ball, I think it's face was stuck to the trap because I thought it was dead, but on further inspection it was shivering with fear. The other mouse is all mangled struggling very hard to free itself. It tried so hard I noticed it ripped one of it's own legs off about 85% off it's body.

Just seeing these mice are making me very very sad. I feel like I just lost a life long pet or something. I don't like to see dead animals, but I don't cry over it...I just can't stand seeing an animal suffer. I stood there, petting the mice and trying to calm them down for about 10 mins, I knew I couldn't unstick them, they are too small, I'd rip them apart and they would suffer even more. I am so confused and depressed over this. I remember hearing my Biology teacher talking about Lab rats and how they instantly killed them by hammering a screwdriver to the back of the neck...but I just can't bring myself to do it. I know it would stop their suffering and just let them die, but I don't feel right killing something.

I'm confused and sad...and even worse I can hear more mice crawling around in my celing...and I am worried they too will suffer on the sticky traps, is there another way I can capture these mice without killing them? If you know please tell me, I don't want to see any more of these baby mice suffer.
Think while it's still legal.
2004-10-14, 3:38 PM #2
my biology teacher figured out a way to kill mice by throwing them at the floor at the right angle.. quite disturbing
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-10-14, 3:40 PM #3
There are traps you can buy that don't harm the mice... They're rectangular boxes. You put food inside, and when they go in, the door closes.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-10-14, 3:41 PM #4
What the hell is wrong with you people? :(
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-10-14, 3:47 PM #5
:( too freaking sad... visual image of doom. this sucks. your mom sucks.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-10-14, 3:47 PM #6
We had non-lethal traps (would snap on the mouse's tail, simply trapping it). We put peanut butter on it. What a mistake.

We had a few set in my dad's office (works from the house) and my dog went in there. I'm sitting there watching TV, and suddenly I hear a "*snap!*"

Suddenly, my dog comes rushing out of the office with a very panicked look on his face. One of the funniest things I've seen a dog do.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-14, 4:10 PM #7
those sticky traps are worse that the original traps, it just makes the animal suffer before it dies....:(
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-10-14, 4:14 PM #8
Yea, there are traps that close the rodent in the cage, and not kill it.
2004-10-14, 4:46 PM #9
Get a cat or two.

The mice will be gone soon.

or, try poison. Certain poisons will kill them quickly.
2004-10-14, 5:00 PM #10
There's certain "traps" you can buy that plug in to wall sockets and emit frequencies which irritate rodents and some insects until they go away. I don't know how well they work, but maybe you should look into it
Moo.
2004-10-14, 5:01 PM #11
I can really relate about the sadness of those types of traps. :/ we used to have some, and what really killed me about it was just the way it happens...this continuous struggle...then, one day, my parakeet got caught in one. >.< we managed to get it off after a bit of work, but after that we always used the 'friendly traps'.

I'm not sure where we got them...but like a lot of people said above this post, there are traps out there that really work that don't harm them....you can just let them loose in a field or something. Shop around, you'll find one that works.
People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only
if there is a light from within.
-Elizabeth Kübler-Ross
2004-10-14, 5:15 PM #12
Hit it with a 2by4.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-14, 5:16 PM #13
Mice are wild animals and won't care for you petting them, most likely it just scares them more. If I were you, I wouldn't touch them with bare hands, for they will try to bite you if possible, since they don't have the option of running away. The whole sticky trap idea sounds somewhat twisted, but if I had to use such, I would kill the trapped mice every morning.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-10-14, 5:43 PM #14
Give the non-lethal traps a try
Pissed Off?
2004-10-14, 6:28 PM #15
Poison.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2004-10-14, 6:30 PM #16
I do NOT want to kill the mice.
2004-10-14, 7:04 PM #17
You can borrow my cats. They never really kill the mice, just play with'em...it's not humane with how they play with'em, but they're still alive. Anyways when they find a mouse they usually corner it and you can put it outside.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-10-14, 7:10 PM #18
My cat has killed dozens of mice, birds, chipmunks etc...Shes crazy....but she has never scratched or biten me ever. Sweet KITTY! She's my cute attention whore. She crys at the door till we let her in, then she goes on her back to get her belly rubber! OMGTEHKITTYLOL -=^_^=-
2004-10-14, 9:52 PM #19
Reminds me of a beautiful house I went in on the marshes in Charleston, SC that had been recently reposessed. Before the owners left it for good they trashed the place (broken ceiling fans, stair railings, mirrors, jacuzzis, cabinets, paint thrown everywhere, busted out the elevator, razor blade slashes all over the walls). The lasting image I have of the house was where the couple had poured glue all over the carpet and then poured rice in the glue. Mice came out to get the rice and got stuck in the glue, and some of them were still alive like yours. :( We got the mice out of the puddle, but they still had a bit of glue on them. We didn't stay long enough to do anything else.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-10-14, 10:08 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbert006
Reminds me of a beautiful house I went in on the marshes in Charleston, SC that had been recently reposessed. Before the owners left it for good they trashed the place (broken ceiling fans, stair railings, mirrors, jacuzzis, cabinets, paint thrown everywhere, busted out the elevator, razor blade slashes all over the walls). The lasting image I have of the house was where the couple had poured glue all over the carpet and then poured rice in the glue. Mice came out to get the rice and got stuck in the glue, and some of them were still alive like yours. :( We got the mice out of the puddle, but they still had a bit of glue on them. We didn't stay long enough to do anything else.

That sucks. People that would trash a house like that are the solid waste that comes out of the a**hole of society.
2004-10-15, 8:37 AM #21
o.0

that's affel, i hope you didnet know thoes people
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-10-15, 9:12 AM #22
Oh well, at least they have a bad credit rating now.

I hope they were made to pay for the damage they did.

2004-10-15, 9:27 AM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Mega_ZZTer
Oh well, at least they have a bad credit rating now.

I hope they were made to pay for the damage they did.

Well, if it was actually repossessed, then what they did might have been vandalism, presuming that ownership had already been taken. If so, then there are chances they're in prison right now, or have gotten out of prison within the past coupld of years.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-15, 9:52 AM #24
Grow some balls and deal with it like a man. They're just mice. Also, all this OMGKITTY -=^_^=- stuff is freaking me out as well.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-15, 11:47 AM #25
[edit:]
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-10-15, 11:51 AM #26
I really should grow some balls and learn to watch baby mice only a few weeks old suffer and die...what is wrong with me? :rolleyes
2004-10-15, 12:09 PM #27
Hey, I'm with you, man. We don't have mice, but whenever I see an ant in a place it might get hurt (like a sink) I always coax it onto my finger and put it on the nearest counter.

And even though I really don't like spiders, I try to get whoever I convince to deal with the problem to put it outside rather than kill it.

Hey, we're all descended from the same bacteria. They're family.
2004-10-15, 1:05 PM #28
I once found a decapitated mouse in my back yard, everything in tact but no blood and head.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-15, 2:22 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Elana14
that's affel, i hope you didnet know thoes people

God woman, go back to 3rd grade!

I wish I had pet mice. Or a ferret.
2004-10-15, 2:55 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
I really should grow some balls and learn to watch baby mice only a few weeks old suffer and die...what is wrong with me? :rolleyes

If you don't want to watch them suffer, then put them out of their misery. Don't come ***** to us because you didn't have the balls to kill them.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-15, 7:06 PM #31
No offense, you're being a jerk.
2004-10-15, 7:11 PM #32
Well if there gonna die anyway might as well give them a quick death. I had to drop a cinderblock on a mouse my cat caught, then the dog touched it, and neither of them wanted it, and it was dieing. So it had to be put out of its misery:(
2004-10-15, 9:16 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewoklover
I once found a decapitated mouse in my back yard, everything in tact but no blood and head.

O_o :eek: :eek: o_O
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-10-16, 2:33 AM #34
Generally speaking, unless the mice aren't somebody's pets, they should be killed. They are vermin and cause only troubles to your household. And it's not like killing some mice in your house will endanger the species. In that sense Freelancer is absolutely right. The mice fear death as much as any sane beings, but they knew the risks when they invaded your home. That's why they try to run away every time they see you.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-10-16, 2:46 AM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine
God woman, go back to 3rd grade!

If I remember correctly, she can't help it. Think about it. With all the times she's been yelled at for her spelling, don't you think she would have learnt by now?

She made a post about it a while ago, I think. I couldn't find it though.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-10-16, 3:07 AM #36
The none-leathal mouse traps work as long as you remember to check them :o.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-10-16, 4:33 AM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Flirbnic
There are traps you can buy that don't harm the mice... They're rectangular boxes. You put food inside, and when they go in, the door closes.

That's right; we have these traps where I work. They even have little windows on them so you can see inside. I've also even caught one in the very box I was using. I just let him go back outside.

Did you know that mice can climb windows?
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-10-16, 6:29 AM #38
I have a soft spot for animals. I don't like to see them needlessly die or suffer. I can remember probably every wild animal killed as a result of something I may have done. Don't worry there's not that many! Once I found a quail chick all by itself in the road. I found a soft little patch of grass to put it in in my yard. Got distracted for a moment and then realized my dog thought it was a chew toy! I put it out of its misery by drowning it in a stream in the backyard. Surely not the quickest way but I was young and didn't feel like using a quicker, more destructive, means. Other than that it's animals that I've hit with a car. Mostly birds but one rabbit and the one that really bothered me was a fox. It was dark and I was going pretty fast down a four lane road in the mountains. Damn thing ran out in front of me. Never had a chance.

I have a cat that proved its worth by killing four mice in our house in two days. Funny thing is my parents had lived with us previously and had two cats that only ever bothered to find critters outside and bring them in. Never actually get ones that made it inside on their own.

I certainly don't like the method your mom has chosen to kill those mice. I understand that you don't want them dead but putting them outside won't solve the problem either. Sucks that your cat can't handle the problem. I believe that is at least the most natural way to solve the problem.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-10-16, 7:48 AM #39
A 12 guage wouldn't cause suffering... :cool:
2004-10-16, 10:16 AM #40
.. Though it would blow a substantial chunk out of your floor. Great idea!

↑ Up to the top!