Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Child suspended for bringing a knife to school
Child suspended for bringing a knife to school
2004-10-15, 7:23 AM #41
Quote:
Originally posted by dry gear the frog
Not that I'd think this was any better, but sometimes a butter knife means a little sharp knife, not the dull plastic or metal kind.
Example: http://www.reillyandjenks.com/silver/si012.html

(BTW, until I did a google image search for "butter knife", I didn't know how beautiful they could be. There's some pictures of nice looking butter knives;) )

You have a slight error there; that isn't actualyl sharp. I happen to have one of those at home (and they are fairly common at restaurants), and are made purely for being more elegant and effective at spreading things like butter.

Coincidentially, the list of objects marked as "weapons" (and thus possession is grounds for expulsion) in my old high school's rule handbook includes:
  • Any blade 3 inches or longer
  • Any firearms
  • Any double-edged blade (hence banning throwing stars)
  • Any club, heavy metal bar, or anything that could be improvised as a club
  • Pencils, pens, markers, presuming they are held in a threatening manner
  • clipboards
  • chairs
  • scisors

Coincidentially, I don't see any energy-based weapons included on that list, so it is perfectly okay to bring a Blastech E-11 to school.:D

...Or a Taser, or even hand grenades.

...Anyway, nobody has been expelled from the school in the past year or so, and they still have the scoll supplies list above as "wepaons" (BTW, the rule book was made by the school board. The school's staff all thought it to be rather humorous)
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-15, 7:41 AM #42
Quote:
Originally posted by nottheking
  • Any club, heavy metal bar, or anything that could be improvised as a club
[/B]

..."improvised as a club" includes a lot of things -- chairs, table legs, freshmen...
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-15, 7:47 AM #43
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
..."improvised as a club" includes a lot of things -- chairs, table legs, freshmen...

Exactly. My brother noted that he could, very easily, use a CRT computer monitor as a club.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-15, 12:36 PM #44
Heh, you know, you got a point. Last year this kid nailed a pencil in my knee and another poked someone's eye out. Sheesh, they should ban them as well.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2004-10-15, 12:45 PM #45
Quote:
Originally posted by dry gear the frog
I think a statistical comparison between how often this happens to black kids and how often it happens to white kids would be interesting.

Well, depending on the results it COULD be interesting. Or not.

Anyways, I agree. Zero-tolerance policies do NO good when they don't bother to properly define to the parents what the policies apply to! (Not to mention that the parents should have some say.)

Or even define it period.

2004-10-15, 2:53 PM #46
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Mega_ZZTer
Well, depending on the results it COULD be interesting. Or not.

Anyways, I agree. Zero-tolerance policies do NO good when they don't bother to properly define to the parents what the policies apply to! (Not to mention that the parents should have some say.)

Or even define it period.

If it was not interesting I would still find it interesting. And it would make me happy.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-10-15, 5:20 PM #47
Staplers are also quite dangerous, why don't they ban them as well?
2004-10-15, 5:43 PM #48
Rulers can be dangerous if metal and swung hard, and compases (the metal kind), and paper(cuts), and stairs, and broken foldy chairs, and lockers, and other schools breaking your school's windows w/bricks, and the shards from the broken windows, and parents who don't know how to drive but still come to give their children a ride home, and principals who condemn you to hell...

Heck, ban school altogether!
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-10-15, 5:53 PM #49
I accidently brought my swiss army knife to school today. Oh darn.
2004-10-16, 3:09 AM #50
Two words. Hockey stick.

Those things are very easily lethal... although I'm talking about the ones composed of wood and fibreglass which are used on grass, astro or concrete to whack small and very hard balls at other people, while wearing limited protection.

By limited, I mean shin pads. The only git that getts any kind of protection is the goalie, who can't do much apart from kick aimlessly.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-10-16, 6:26 AM #51
Listing other things that might be used as weapons is ignoring the point.

More and more children are carrying knives, and more and more of them are using them. Making sure children don't carry knives is the obvious way the cut down on knife crime.

Yes, yes, you're all going to say "but they could use a spatula! are you going to ban spatulas?!", but that's completely beside the point. If a child gets angry at someone else, he can whip out a knife and stab him. If the child doesn't have that knife, he'll still be angry, and he will indeed resort to using a stapler, ruler, pencil, etc. But a knife is far more likely to kill than any of the above.

Knives can kill or seriously maim, and there's no reason why you should be carrying one in the first place. Banning knives cuts down knife crime and has pretty much no downside whatsoever. I'm sure someone'll say "oh but this one time I had to open this box and I had a knife and I opened the box!". Any of the highly unlikely events that would result in needing a knife can easily be solved by borrowing a knife from a teacher. There's no reason whatsoever why any child should bring a knife to school.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-16, 9:51 AM #52
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
Knives can kill or seriously maim...

So can sciccors, pencils, pens, compasses, 3-ring binders, forks...
Schools are full of weapons if you just look. Every place is. The school is run by people, not some machine. If some kid brings a stilletto or some kinda pigsticker, he should be expelled. But if some grade school kid brings a butter knife to spread peanut butter, There should be some leniency. A butterknife is just as dangerous as any other random object.
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-10-16, 11:27 AM #53
maybe we shouldn't bring pencils to school anymore. I accidently cut open my friends arm with one of those...and it IS pretty much a stabbing utensil. And if you kick it up their nose, it could get into their brain.......and paper. Paper cuts.....deadly....especially if you get real good and they get cut on the throats.....backpacks could be filled with bricks and used to beat people with. especially with turning momentum if it was on ur back......

Overall deduction: School is dangerous, so we shouldn't go.
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-10-17, 9:20 AM #54
Hockey Sticks:

Right, I was playing hockey in the 2nd grade, some fool wacked me in the eye with his, and they didn't even call his attention!
Nothing to see here, move along.
2004-10-17, 9:29 AM #55
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
There's no reason whatsoever why any child should bring a knife to school.

TO SPREAD PEANUT BUTTER.

A pen is far more dangerous than a butter knife, suspension for lunch-related items is ridiculous. I don't know what you're defending Mort-Hog, this is the stupidest thing since that GI Joe gun incident
2004-10-17, 9:39 AM #56
o.O

How do you kick a pencil up someone's nose?
2004-10-17, 9:44 AM #57
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn42689
How do you kick a pencil up someone's nose?

With a lot of practice and aim.
2004-10-17, 10:11 AM #58
Quote:
Originally posted by Septic Yogurt
stupid....

too stupid.

yeah.
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-10-17, 10:44 AM #59
Well, it happend to me too. Acidantly...REALLY!!!...i gotted a sharp knife (the one you cut meat with but then in a smaller version), while i thought i got a butter knife. It was for a dinner at school. When I found it out. I grabbed my knife at the sharp side so i wont hurt anybody, a put it down on the teachers desk and i said: "Sorry, but i toke a other knife with me". Then she said, *some words i wont even type down* you can kill somebody with a knife like that. Then she suspended me for 5 days...:( crazy teachers
2004-10-17, 11:03 AM #60
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn42689
How do you kick a pencil up someone's nose? /B]

Now that would be a cool martial arts type scene.
Seriously though, a butter-knife?
By all means stop the child from coming in with a gun or a steak knife or things of such nature, but a butter-knife?
Time for a reality check people, things have gotten way out of hand.
You can't judge a book by it's file size

↑ Up to the top!