Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → banning pit bulls in ontario
banning pit bulls in ontario
2004-10-15, 10:37 AM #1
i tell you one thing is for certain. if any dog were to attack one of my kids, i would do everything in my power to kill that dog as soon as humanly possible. then i would go after the owner of the dog with a vengence not seen since luke cut off vaders hand.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/10/15/pitbulls_ontario041015.html
2004-10-15, 10:58 AM #2
If they ban pitbulls....Then they sure as hell better legalize Marijuana.

I've been attacked by a Pitbull before, for no reason. It was just playing, then suddenly got serious. It latched onto my right forearm, and I literally lifted the dog into the air while still attached to my forearm, and it didn't let go. I had to beat it in the head a few times with a metal object just to get it to unlock it's jaw and let go. The dog calmed down after that. If it hadn't have let go then, I probably would have had to break it's jaw or something. And that wouldn't have been pretty.
2004-10-15, 11:00 AM #3
Golden Retrievers > Pitbulls
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-10-15, 11:02 AM #4
Golden Retrievers and Lab's are the best dog's you can get. They're the most loyal and the best family dog's. They're incredibly kind. I've got 2 of them.
2004-10-15, 11:06 AM #5
Pit bulls can certainly be dangerous, especially since many pet owners are too lazy to properly train their pets.

Quote:
Originally posted by Temperamental
If they ban pitbulls....Then they sure as hell better legalize Marijuana.

I'm not sure how to interpret that...
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-15, 11:09 AM #6
Because if they're finally looking at the dangers of certain thing's, they should finally look at the benefits of other certain things. That and the decriminalization of it has been on the government's agenda since last year.
2004-10-15, 12:01 PM #7
pit bulls are quite dangerous b/c like temp said, they can turn on you for no reason and are unpredictable. there is no reason why anyone needs a dog like that.
2004-10-15, 12:33 PM #8
so what about all the pitbulls currently in the area?

MORTAL KOMBAT
2004-10-15, 12:40 PM #9
What? I had a pitbull / boxer. They had BETTER NOT ban half breeds of them or whatever, because that dog was the best thing ever. Never bit anyone. The worst it did, is when someone new came in the door, she peed everywhere.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-10-15, 12:43 PM #10
Those things are ugly:
[http://www.prairienet.org/bark/Carmella1.jpg]
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-15, 12:46 PM #11
Quote:
Golden Retrievers and Lab's are the best dog's you can get. They're the most loyal and the best family dog's. They're incredibly kind. I've got 2 of them.

I agree 110%.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-10-15, 1:08 PM #12
That and they've got to be one of the cutest breed's for puppies. Lab or Retriever puppies are incredibly adorable. Especially when they're all fat and pudgy from the fluff of hair :p
2004-10-15, 1:14 PM #13
Cocker spaniels > *
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-15, 1:27 PM #14
That's crazy. Banning a certain breed of dogs.. There are more than just one breed that can be considered unstable or "time bombs" I'm sure.

I'm way over on the other side of the country so it doesn't affect me at all. Besides I'm a German Shepard fan all the way.
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2004-10-15, 1:37 PM #15
pincers, shepherds and rotweilers (sp?) were also considered for banning.
2004-10-15, 2:14 PM #16
I'm not sure how I feel about this. However, in case someone was wondering about statistics concerning fatal dog attacks I found this report from the CDC:
Link (in .pdf format)
2004-10-15, 2:17 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Evad
pincers, shepherds and rotweilers (sp?) were also considered for banning.

Good, I hope it happens too. Shepherds aren't as bad, but each of those dogs have huge instincts to kill.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-10-15, 2:37 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewoklover
Those things are ugly:
[http://www.prairienet.org/bark/Carmella1.jpg]

That dog is in horrible shape and is not even on par for what a normal pitbull would look like
Pissed Off?
2004-10-15, 3:05 PM #19
German Shepherds are wonderful, especially mixes of Shepherd and Labradors, that's one of the best combinations.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-15, 3:17 PM #20
I'm surprised Akitas and Chow Chows aren't on the list.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-10-15, 3:39 PM #21
I've always liked Britney Spaniels myself.

[http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PPT1187]
Life is beautiful.
2004-10-15, 4:22 PM #22
Shepherds would have to be trained to damage like that. They are usually obedient and loyal...Very defensive, but obedient. So don't jump their fence and you're fine.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-15, 4:43 PM #23
German Shepards thend to be very protective of their herd, which tends to be the people who own them these days
Pissed Off?
2004-10-15, 5:18 PM #24
Corgis > *

[http://www.rit.edu/~bjj4494/brendantoby.jpg]

Also:

http://notenboom.org/archives/000053.html

[http://www.rit.edu/~bjj4494/corgipics/chaos.jpg]

[http://www.rit.edu/~bjj4494/corgipics/crunchin.jpg]

[http://www.rit.edu/~bjj4494/corgipics/leo.jpg]

[http://www.rit.edu/~bjj4494/corgipics/leo2.jpg]

[http://www.rit.edu/~bjj4494/corgipics/puppygroup.jpg]
2004-10-15, 5:20 PM #25
Jesus christ, that's overwhelming...
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-15, 5:22 PM #26
I have two Golden Labs.

My dogs > your dogs

(unless you have golden labs too, of course)
Stuff
2004-10-15, 5:28 PM #27
Makes perfect sense, this.

You're not allowed to keep lions or tigers or crocodiles or elephants (without a load of paperwork or something, I imagine) because they're dangerous, and pitbulls are in exactly the same catagory.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-15, 6:40 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
Good, I hope it happens too. Shepherds aren't as bad, but each of those dogs have huge instincts to kill.

More instinct to kill than any other dog? I thought dogs are dogs when they are born. *shrug*
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-10-15, 8:04 PM #29
Different breeds have different instinct and personality traits.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-10-15, 9:06 PM #30
Isn't that like...blaming kids when something is the parent's fault?...
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-10-16, 7:37 AM #31
Apparently the UK Police are having trouble finding mean enough German Shepards/Alsatians. People these days are breeding the more docile ones.
2004-10-16, 7:38 AM #32
Apparently the UK Police are having trouble finding mean enough German Shepards/Alsatians. People these days are breeding the more docile ones. Looking at my mate's useless sop "Taffy", I can see where they're coming from.
2004-10-16, 9:04 AM #33
holy crap DS...
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-10-16, 9:26 AM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Jedigreedo
Isn't that like...blaming kids when something is the parent's fault?...

Precisely. I know a bunch of pitbulls and they're quite well behaved. Dogs can be dangerous when they're not raised properly (like by lazy owners), but otherwise they shouldn't attack people. That's like banning all haitian immigrants because a few douzen murders and robberies were commited by haitians this year.

What they do here is that when you buy a new dog, you have to spend some time alone with the dog, while psychologists observe you and decide if you're fit to train the dog, and if you get along well... but mostly they do that when you have small children, because they're rather unpredictable. That's the sort of thing they should do with everyone. If they stop selling dogs to morons who don't take care of them, I guarantee you, dog attacks will be reduced by at least 99.9%.

The same concept applies to lions or tigers. They're very aggressive animals, but if they're raised by an expert, they can be quite civil. Seigfried and roy, anyone?
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-10-16, 9:54 AM #35
Flexor, the reason that they are dangerous is that they have it in their blood. It's part of their instinct. They still have the major potential to be dangerous and snap on anyone at any time. I've experienced it. The pitbull that attacked me was my friend's dog. Only 2 weeks after it attacked me, it almost ripped apart his other dog for no reason. When my friend tried to break up the fight, the pitbull turned on him as well. He still has the scar in his leg from the tooth that punctured his skin. That's not dangerous?

Quote:
The same concept applies to lions or tigers. They're very aggressive animals, but if they're raised by an expert, they can be quite civil. Seigfried and roy, anyone?

Um...Didn't the tiger only recently attack one of those guys, almost killing him?
2004-10-16, 10:02 AM #36
Quote:
Flexor, the reason that they are dangerous is that they have it in their blood. It's part of their instinct. They still have the major potential to be dangerous and snap on anyone at any time. I've experienced it. The pitbull that attacked me was my friend's dog. Only 2 weeks after it attacked me, it almost ripped apart his other dog for no reason. When my friend tried to break up the fight, the pitbull turned on him as well. He still has the scar in his leg from the tooth that punctured his skin. That's not dangerous?

They don't "have it in their blood" any more than a child with agressive tendencies. Or are you saying we should start giving the death penalty for unarmed assault? :rolleyes:

Dogs won't attack unless they're hunting or they feel that they or their master is in danger. If he attacked your friend, that means the dog was considering himself above him in the pact's hierachy. As I was saying, people who don't know how to raise these dogs shouldn't be allowed to have them - that's a perfect example of this.

Quote:

Um...Didn't the tiger only recently attack one of those guys, almost killing him?

He had a heart attack, but the tiger thought he was in danger, so he tried to protect him by dragging him away to safety. In doing so, he accidently punctured his artery with his teeth, which redirected blood flow and ended up saving his life.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-10-16, 10:11 AM #37
Quote:
They don't "have it in their blood" any more than a child with agressive tendencies. Or are you saying we should start giving the death penalty for unarmed assault?

They do have it in their blood. You can't supress natural instinct. DIDNT YOU WATCH JURASSIC PARK?!?!?!?!? :D

Quote:
Dogs won't attack unless they're hunting or they feel that they or their master is in danger. If he attacked your friend, that means the dog was considering himself above him in the pact's hierachy.

That would explain why the dog attacked me.... In the middle of a park, while I was just standing there.

Quote:
. As I was saying, people who don't know how to raise these dogs shouldn't be allowed to have them - that's a perfect example of this.

This is what makes them different from other dogs. They have to be raised differently than other dogs... You don't simply just go out and buy them at the store, bring them home, awe at their cuteness and then everything's good. And a lot of people don't know how to raise them right, which is why they turn on people. Which is why they want them banned. The statistics speak for themselve's. Pitbulls were bred back in the day to be fighting/guard dogs. They were even forced to fight eachother. Even dog book guide's say this, and they even say it's in their blood to be agressive. When was the last time you ever heard on the news, that a lab or golden retriever, or husky attacked someone? Sure as hell not as often as a pitbull. If at all.

Quote:
He had a heart attack, but the tiger thought he was in danger, so he tried to protect him by dragging him away to safety. In doing so, he accidently punctured his artery with his teeth, which redirected blood flow and ended up saving his life.

Still....DID YOU WATCH JURASSIC PARK?!?!

:D
2004-10-16, 10:18 AM #38
Aw those puppies up there are so cute.
2004-10-16, 11:17 AM #39
Quote:

This is what makes them different from other dogs. They have to be raised differently than other dogs... You don't simply just go out and buy them at the store, bring them home, awe at their cuteness and then everything's good. And a lot of people don't know how to raise them right, which is why they turn on people. Which is why they want them banned. The statistics speak for themselve's. Pitbulls were bred back in the day to be fighting/guard dogs. They were even forced to fight eachother. Even dog book guide's say this, and they even say it's in their blood to be agressive. When was the last time you ever heard on the news, that a lab or golden retriever, or husky attacked someone? Sure as hell not as often as a pitbull. If at all.

But why ban them completely? If you put somesort of restriction on who buys them, there shouldn't be a problem. "Banning" the breed means that whenever new puppies are born, they have to gas them. That's just not right.
2004-10-16, 1:41 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor

I hadn't heard of that. Thats increadible that such a coincidence could occur...
Life is beautiful.

↑ Up to the top!