Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → banning pit bulls in ontario
banning pit bulls in ontario
2004-10-16, 2:30 PM #41
Quote:
Originally posted by Temperamental
When was the last time you ever heard on the news, that a lab or golden retriever, or husky attacked someone? Sure as hell not as often as a pitbull.

Other breeds attack their owners more often, I believe the german shepard is the most likely of all.

And to be honest, I'm having a hard time believing you were bitten. Pitbulls don't just bite, they bite, lock their jaw, and begin shaking to tear away muscle, and will usually bite again.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-10-16, 9:07 PM #42
Quote:
And to be honest, I'm having a hard time believing you were bitten. Pitbulls don't just bite, they bite, lock their jaw, and begin shaking to tear away muscle, and will usually bite again.

That's ok, I don't really need you to believe me for me to know that it happened. But, I'd just like to point out, that not always do pitbulls lock their jaw, they have the ability to, but just because they attack someone doesn't mean they're going to lock their jaw 100% of the time.

Quote:
But why ban them completely? If you put somesort of restriction on who buys them, there shouldn't be a problem. "Banning" the breed means that whenever new puppies are born, they have to gas them. That's just not right.

I agree with that, if they're gasing them. I don't think they will because they're forcing everyone that has a pitbull to spade or neuter their dog, which they should do anyways, but a lot of people don't. Particularily pitbulls. They'll be keeping their eyes on which dogs have been spade and which dog's haven't. I think if it came down to it instead of killing a bunch of puppies they would at least try to give them away to places they weren't banned.. But I'm not too sure.
2004-10-16, 9:17 PM #43
Quote:
Originally posted by Roach
I believe the german shepard is the most likely of all.

Not that I'm aware of. My family has always had German Shepards and we know people with Shepards and it's never been an issue. I could be wrong, of course. I know Shepards can have a tendancy to snap at people they don't know when they are around their family. That has to do with the protecting the herd mentality they have. Still, it doesn't happen often.
Pissed Off?
2004-10-17, 12:00 PM #44
German Shepherds are guard dogs and are more protective of things than they are out right aggressive and ticking time bombs like a pitbul is. A german shepherd will attack somoene, but only if they are in danger or their owner is in danger, or someone's trespassing, something to that degree. They don't have the ability to simply snap at any time and just go off attacking things like a pitbull does. Pitbull's were BRED to kill. They were bred to be attacking dogs and aggressive dogs. One of their primary "uses" as you will, was to fight to the death with other pitbull's.
2004-10-17, 12:03 PM #45
Yeah...I've never heard of a Shepherd snapping on its owner. Not unless its owners were cruel to it, but that can happen with any even mildly aggressive dog.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-10-17, 12:07 PM #46
A lot of this bears on the owner. If your a ******* to your dog, it's gonna be hateful and snappy.
I myself own 3 chihuahaus, dogs known for the annoying yippiness, and yet my dogs are the only ones who don't get into regular barking maches with the nieghbours.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-10-17, 4:13 PM #47
I haven't read the whole thread, but I think some people are getting off track here. I live in Ontario, and the main problem isn't pitbulls per se, it's Pitbulls that have been raised for dogfighting which end up in the hands of unwary owners.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY

↑ Up to the top!