Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Bottled water vs. tap water
Bottled water vs. tap water
2004-10-15, 6:57 PM #1
I have been asking some people I know this simple question (because I have nothing else to talk about...): If you had to drink a cup of water, would it be from the tap or from a bottled water product (like Poland Spring, Dasani, Aquafina)?

Well, it seems that drinking water from plastic bottle seems slightly more preferable instead from the sink. But why? Taste? I know water systems around the globe are probably handle water abit differently, but it really doesn't taste offending or anything. Water (if stated "just water") should taste like water. Purity? While there is always a contamination problem here and there in some water system time to time, how does it compare to the purity of bottle water? Do we know that some bottle water are really pure? Also, tap water is easily accessable and doesn't require throwing away plastic containers...
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-10-15, 7:03 PM #2
Tap water usually has added Flourine, so it's better for you.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-15, 7:04 PM #3
Depends on what tap it is coming from
2004-10-15, 7:19 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog

you mean floride, right?

I would hope they don't add flourine, b/c florine in its elemental form is poisonous much like chlorine is.
2004-10-15, 7:20 PM #5
Tap, brita filtered.
2004-10-15, 7:23 PM #6
I really have no problem with tap water whatsoever.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2004-10-15, 7:36 PM #7
Tap water. Fluoride, test in my city at least every 4 hours, so unless you have problems in your pipes, it's crystal clean. Also, there are no regulations on bottled water, so it is not necessarily being tested.

And you're already paying for tap water.
2004-10-15, 7:39 PM #8
Tap water. Bottled water is less regulated--all sorts of nasty stuff gets in there.
2004-10-15, 7:39 PM #9
Tap water and bottled water is the same thing. You know theres some old couple in Ohio thats filling those things in their bathtub...
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-10-15, 7:47 PM #10
Tap. Bottled water tastes like plastic.
2004-10-15, 8:36 PM #11
The tap water here is some of the best you'll find, anywhere.

Just a note, some bottled water is nothing more than filtered tap water.
Pissed Off?
2004-10-15, 8:41 PM #12
Bottled water is the biggest scam I've ever seen. They're charging for something that any moron can get for free.. like.. anywhere.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-15, 8:50 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
Just a note, some bottled water is nothing more than filtered tap water.

With bottle pictures of nature and placid rivers and mountains too. ;)
2004-10-15, 8:57 PM #14
Doesn't really matter to me, though the water around here is kind of meh tasting so I buy 24 packs of Dasani.

In some areas though...I've gotten warnings to not drink the water straight from the tap. So...yeah. Not comforting. :p
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-10-15, 8:57 PM #15
I hear in Europe beer is cheaper than bottled water.
2004-10-15, 9:04 PM #16
A friend of mine was in Paris over the summer and he said beer was cheaper than soda
Pissed Off?
2004-10-15, 9:55 PM #17
I buy bottled water for my dorm room, mainly because it's easier than getting up and standing over a water fountain for five minutes trying to quench my thirst.

In addition, it's much more convenient when I wake up at 3 A.M. parched dry, to reach out to my TV tray, open a bottle of water, and chug it, than to get up, wake up my roommate (damn hallway lights are so bright), make my way to the fountain, stand over it for five minutes, then walk back down the hallway, wake up my roommate again as I enter, and climb back into bed, only to realize that I'm still thirsty and I need another drink.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-15, 9:58 PM #18
I prefer bottled water here (particularly Evian or Deer Park) because I like their taste and because the water from my sinks tastes strange.
2004-10-15, 10:19 PM #19
I would much rather just buy a bottle and fill it from my sink at home.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-10-15, 10:39 PM #20
bottled water is much safer. cause u never know when someone's going to rig the sink.
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2004-10-15, 11:10 PM #21
tap water is like oxygen. You can drink it your whole life and you think it's fine... But once you taste the pure stuff, you don't wanna go back.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-10-16, 12:34 AM #22
I've always been against bottled water.

It's water, the most abundant resource on the planet, and you're paying to get it in a bottle? It's a total scam. Offer to sell people what they can get for free, and they'll come running.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-10-16, 12:52 AM #23
I usually like tap water more, unless I'm in Florida (or any other place that has high amounts of sulfur in their water) or Salt Lake City (which has some weird tasting water too).
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-10-16, 1:05 AM #24
what deters me from tapwater the most is the fact that it's the same exact stuff that's in the toilet, minus the pee and poop.
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2004-10-16, 1:20 AM #25
Water is constantly recycled. Yeah, what I get from tap was once toilet water, and what's in your bottle was also once toilet water.

What do you think fish do in the water? Every body of water is a toilet and an orgy for them. Tap or bottle, that water has been to the darkest of places. Drink up.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-10-16, 3:39 AM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
I hear in Europe beer is cheaper than bottled water.

In central Europe, that's VERY true.

And tap water > bottled water.

Exept carbonated water.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-10-16, 4:14 AM #27
I prefer rain-water myself.
I don't care what you say about all water tasting the same, it doesn't.
Tap water tastes different to rain water. The tap water in my torn (ie, lakewater) tastes different to tap water in the city.
Bottle water tastes different, even if its only because its been sitting in a plastic bottle for ages.
It's like Coke, I prefer Coke from a can then coke from a bottle.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-10-16, 4:47 AM #28
Filtered tap water > *

I can't stand the taste of most bottled water. I especially hate it when someone else takes a swig from my bottle. I swear it accquires a new taste if someone else drinks from it. Some brands are better than others too. I hate Dasani. It always tastes bad.

I like to fill old water bottles up with filtered tap water. That way you get the convinience (sp?) of the bottle and the good taste of tap water.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-10-16, 5:30 AM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Simbachu
In central Europe, that's VERY true.

When i went to belgium you could buy the best beer ever from vending machines in the street and it only cost around 50p.

Anyone from the UK remember the Dasani stuff a few moths back that everyone bought, then it turned out that it was just tap water from London in a bottle, with nothing changed at all
nope.
2004-10-16, 5:33 AM #30
Gently carbonated natural mineral water from the Gerolsteiner spring here.
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-10-16, 5:45 AM #31
Tap water's nice.
/fluffle
2004-10-16, 5:49 AM #32
I keep bottles of water in the fridge (store bought, then refilled from the tap) so that I don't have to run the tap for ten minutes to get a cold drink.
2004-10-16, 6:19 AM #33
tap water + brita filter = > bottled water
2004-10-16, 6:25 AM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Hebedee
I prefer bottled water here (particularly Evian or Deer Park) because I like their taste and because the water from my sinks tastes strange.
'

Heh, what do you get when you read Evian backwards?
2004-10-16, 7:03 AM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Lost_One
what deters me from tapwater the most is the fact that it's the same exact stuff that's in the toilet, minus the pee and poop.

And the water used by bottled companies are somehow "cleaner?"....
2004-10-16, 7:10 AM #36
Good one, Mikus!
2004-10-16, 8:02 AM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog

In small quantities it's mildly good for you, there's actually too much in the British water supply these days and it's causing fluorosis which results in a permanent staining of the teeth that can't be treated with whitening methods (you have to get porcelain plates or something to hide it).
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-10-16, 9:44 AM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
Heh, what do you get when you read Evian backwards?

Pipes can make a huge difference to the taste of tap water. Our neighbour had new water pipes put in a few months ago after some tree roots cracked them. Their water tastes completely different to what comes out of our taps.

So if the water tastes weird to you, you drink bottled water. What's wrong with that? Did the same thing myself when I went to Adelaide. Urgh, now there's a place you'd be better of carrying a straw and drinking puddles on the street than stomaching what comes out of the tap.

Usually though I'll buy a bottle of water then fill it up with tap water once I've drunk that. No need to buy more drinks when you get thirsty later on that way.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-16, 4:25 PM #39
We only have well water at my house, and it has a very high sulfur content. It smells like eggs, and tastes like...something dead? We buy bottled water, mainly because we have to.

http://www.betterwayhealth.com/bottled-water.asp (truth about bottled water)
2004-10-16, 4:44 PM #40
I don't really care what kind it is, as long is it's not cloudy, clear, tastes good, and no disturbing particles are in it, considering only 2% of the earths water is freshwater, and most of that makes up glaciers... :S

↑ Up to the top!