Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Are you voting in the US presidential election?
Are you voting in the US presidential election?
2004-10-19, 12:44 PM #1
Well?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-10-19, 12:48 PM #2
Sorry, not in the US
nope.
2004-10-19, 12:50 PM #3
too young
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2004-10-19, 12:56 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
Sorry, not in the US
2004-10-19, 12:57 PM #5
I cannot wait for Nov. 2
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-10-19, 1:02 PM #6
The Repubs dont want me to vote.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-10-19, 1:36 PM #7
Voted yesterday for Kerry.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-10-19, 1:44 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewoklover
too young
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-10-19, 1:45 PM #9
I'm voting
Pissed Off?
2004-10-19, 1:47 PM #10
Yep
2004-10-19, 1:51 PM #11
Voted absentee. Vote went for Bush.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-10-19, 1:57 PM #12
How do you vote illegally?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-10-19, 1:58 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
How do you vote illegally?

Vote more than once, vote when not registered, vote when not a citizen, vote when a fellon ... (off the top of my head)
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-10-19, 1:59 PM #14
Not easily, if it's even possible. You'd have to register to vote, which requires multiple forms of identification, if I recall.

They'd know that you're not eligible when you seek to register. You'd have to really pull a number on the registrar. I seriously doubt it's possible, and worth the risk of what I believe is multiple felony convictions waiting to happen.

I have late birthday (November 13) so I couldn't register. I can't say I'm all that disappointed.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-10-19, 2:11 PM #15
Timetable prevented me from registering in my current place of residence, and was unable to get off an absentee ballot (due to "I didn't know people like me qualified for that"), and I'll be out-o-town of where I'm registered when November 2nd rolls around.

So...

...no.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-19, 3:02 PM #16
Well, I would vote if I were a US citizen. Seeing how I always vote here where I live, I doubt it would be any different for me over there. In fact I just voted last friday in local elections...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-10-19, 3:27 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter 4 hire
Not easily, if it's even possible...

You would be surprised. Depending on the state you can register with minimal documents and vote without presenting any identification. Many states are trying to enact laws to further prevent the type of voting fraud I cited but representatives from a certain political party generally oppose them on the grounds that it discourages voting. :rolleyes:

2004-10-19, 3:35 PM #18
Voting.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-10-19, 3:56 PM #19
Your voting Outlaw? I thought you weren't registered and were against the whole voting thing. Wouldn't this be your first time voting?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-10-19, 4:00 PM #20
I plan to vote for Ralph Nader.
2004-10-19, 5:14 PM #21
Sorry too young...
2004-10-19, 5:14 PM #22
I plan on voting.

Even though I'm only 16..

I still have more than 2 weeks to get a fake ID!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-10-19, 5:55 PM #23
I didn't know 'illegally' was an option, but in that case count me in!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-10-19, 8:29 PM #24
Damn, your poll doesn't have near enough options. You forgot the "No, because the electorate college arbitrarily grants my state 4 out of 4 votes for the candidate I'm opposed to, and it's corrupt in general" option. Have you forgotten about me? It's not nice to assume that everyone who votes "no" either doesn't care or is too young! :mad: (Because as you know, I am vehemently opposed to Bush and would do anything to oust him from office, but I can't because of the state I live in).
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-19, 8:34 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Damn, your poll doesn't have near enough options. You forgot the "No, because the electorate college arbitrarily grants my state 4 out of 4 votes for the candidate I'm opposed to, and it's corrupt in general" option. Have you forgotten about me? It's not nice to assume that everyone who votes "no" either doesn't care or is too young! :mad: (Because as you know, I am vehemently opposed to Bush and would do anything to oust him from office, but I can't because of the state I live in).

It's the thought that counts Freelance. :)
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-10-19, 8:36 PM #26
Well, there is the matter of satisfying your conscience and voicing your opinion on the other umpteen things on the ballot.

Jumpstarting me on a minor rant here, our political environment is completely backwards. We, as voters, should be far more concerned with the lower level elections but, because of our shift towards federal dependence, we get all wrapped up in the presidency. If our country was more like it was intended to be in it's founding, the federal government should play so much more minimal role in our life.

END MINOR RANT

2004-10-19, 8:48 PM #27
Not a US citizen.
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-10-19, 9:01 PM #28
am i the only one who can vote but is not goin to?
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-10-19, 9:03 PM #29
Now we know who it is!

;)

2004-10-19, 9:13 PM #30
I think they were a little biased due to the articles of confe... d.. ... aw screw it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-19, 9:27 PM #31
Vote! It's your freaking right to. Dont waste it.

I wish I could vote. Hell, someone not voting who can, go and vote for me via proxy. Kerry +1
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-19, 9:30 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
Vote! It's your freaking right to. Dont waste it.
I am registered to vote, i just want to take my right not to vote. I feel like that is a freedom of it self. Think of all the Nations that have cumpulsary voting, that sickens me.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-10-19, 9:31 PM #33
I would, Spork, but you're going to have to find a Massassian who lives in a swing state. Only a few states in this country hold democratic non-biased elections. Some states that hold such elections, have such elections because they are swing states. Others have such elections because their votes reflect the voting in the state.
2004-10-19, 9:31 PM #34
I vote for myself. Seriously.
Some guy taking a poll asked me a couple weeks ago, "If the election were being held right now, who would you vote for?" ... "Myself" ... "So, undecided?" ... "I must have missed the memo staying I don't know what the helll I'm talking about and myself was changed to undecided" :p OK.. so that last part went more like "No, Undecided.." but that makes for a better story!
2004-10-19, 9:46 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Elana14
I am registered to vote, i just want to take my right not to vote. I feel like that is a freedom of it self. Think of all the Nations that have cumpulsary voting, that sickens me.

I repsect that. At least you're not just lazy.

But you have no right to complain about who you get stuck with representing yourself and your country to the rest of the world :)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-19, 9:51 PM #36
Voted absentee for dubya.
2004-10-19, 10:31 PM #37
This is the first presidential election I will be able to participate in. My absentee ballot arrived in the mail this week. Exciting stuff. :)
2004-10-20, 3:09 AM #38
One should always vote. If you don't vote, you have basically given up your right to complain. If you vote, but your candidate doesn't make it, you have a perfect reason to complain. If you vote and your candidate makes it, you can cheerfully call him a traitor when he inevitably fails to keep his promises.

This is the main reason why I always vote. All politicians fail, so it's important to retain your right to complain (as useless as it is).
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-10-20, 4:12 AM #39
Who added the redundant, unneccessary option to the end? Non-US citizen was covered in the first option. US citizens abroad can also vote absentee.

2004-10-20, 4:20 AM #40
Although this will be my second time voting, I've never bought into the whole "if you don't vote, you have no right to complain" argument. It's simply illogical. There are plenty of circumstances for one not to vote and a plenty more for those same people to complain.

What if you're opposed to the political system in this country, yet you love your country, otherwise, and don't wish to move? What if you despise all of the current candidates, including independent candidates and think that voting for the lesser of many evils is the wrong attitude? I just came up with two theoretical and/or logical reasons why one may not want to vote, but may still have the right to complain. You may disagree with the reasons, but they are valid.

I think the entire concept is just one of those bandwagon phrases that people use to encourage others to vote. We have the right to vote, and the right not to. There are perfectly logical reasons for both, and to assume that just because you choose to vote gives you more right to complain, just seems strange to me, especially when one vote, in most states, means virtually nothing. In other words, although I will be voting, I could just sit at home and the outcome would be exactly the same.

↑ Up to the top!