Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Are you voting in the US presidential election?
Are you voting in the US presidential election?
2004-10-20, 5:33 AM #41
Quote:
Originally posted by MentatMM
What if you're opposed to the political system in this country, yet you love your country, otherwise, and don't wish to move? What if you despise all of the current candidates, including independent candidates and think that voting for the lesser of many evils is the wrong attitude? I just came up with two theoretical and/or logical reasons why one may not want to vote, but may still have the right to complain. You may disagree with the reasons, but they are valid.

I don't know if it is possible in the US but in Germany you can go to the voting, but don't vote, ie write fu on the paper or vote for everyone or no-one. This way you are registered as having voted but didn't give your vote to any party you don't like.

Whether it changes anything is another question...
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-10-20, 6:30 AM #42
You have compulsory voting in Germany?
2004-10-20, 7:29 AM #43
I'll be voting... It's rather interesting how easy it would have been for me to acquire multiple voter registration (thereby giving me multiple votes) I finally got to register on the last availible day, and I had to use an outdated birth certificate, and I was born in the state of Louisiana, and I now live in Michigan. It was not questioned at all... (but the certificate was perfectly legit, though, just rouhgly 18 years outdated)
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-10-20, 7:37 AM #44
Quote:
I think the entire concept is just one of those bandwagon phrases that people use to encourage others to vote. We have the right to vote, and the right not to. There are perfectly logical reasons for both, and to assume that just because you choose to vote gives you more right to complain, just seems strange to me, especially when one vote, in most states, means virtually nothing. In other words, although I will be voting, I could just sit at home and the outcome would be exactly the same.

Your opinion is valid. You're not wrong, and I'm not trying to debate that. Like I said to elana, if you choose 'they all suck' that's your choice.

But, like it or not, the leader of your country is your representative to the rest of the world. To everyone else, he is your country's rolemodel. That person will have an effect on your life.

If you care enough about America to call yourself an American, then you should care who runs your country. Election day is your opportunity to express that opinion. Whether your vote actually makes a difference is arbitrary, the way I see it. It's your right to express your opinion, why would you want to waste something like that?
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-10-20, 7:45 AM #45
the way i see our system, i dont get to vote for the president, that is handled through the electoral collage. I vote for Senators and Representatives that make up that electoral collage vote, that is where the power lies. And congress is much more directly affecting me than the president, I dont understand why people dont that. But, yah, i'm still not voting for them either. maby next go round.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-10-20, 9:11 AM #46
Quote:
What if you're opposed to the political system in this country, yet you love your country, otherwise, and don't wish to move? What if you despise all of the current candidates, including independent candidates and think that voting for the lesser of many evils is the wrong attitude? I just came up with two theoretical and/or logical reasons why one may not want to vote, but may still have the right to complain. You may disagree with the reasons, but they are valid.

Hey, who told you there would ever be a perfect world? You just got to live with what we have. Only a blind, foolish idealist believes there ever could be a perfect candidate. You know, somebody said that the really best of people don't want to be rulers. We vote those who are left behind when the best have better things to do.

And if you oppose the current political system, you vote for a person who might change the system or make decisions that could make it possible for those who come after him to change it. Think the future, not this day.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-10-20, 9:15 AM #47
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
Hey, who told you there would ever be a perfect world? You just got to live with what we have. Only a blind, foolish idealist believes there ever could be a perfect candidate. You know, somebody said that the really best of people don't want to be rulers. We vote those who are left behind when the best have better things to do.

And yet you're forgetting people who, when they vote for someone, say, "I think this person is the best for this office I'm electing them into." And what if they don't think any of the candidates are the best? Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for an evil.

Additionally, what if none of the candidates seek to change the system?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-20, 9:51 AM #48
Is anybody else really looking forward to the election just so these forums won't be so cluttered with "Who are you voting for" and "Bush vs. Kerry" threads?
Stuff
2004-10-20, 10:05 AM #49
I will be voting come November 2nd.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-10-20, 10:07 AM #50
Too young. :(
2004-10-20, 10:11 AM #51
Mentat wins. He wins more than anyone has ever won before. <3 <3 <3
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-20, 12:08 PM #52
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Mentat wins. He wins more than anyone has ever won before. <3 <3 <3

I'm glad that, by stating what I've also said, he "wins" more than I do.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-20, 12:12 PM #53
Quote:
Originally posted by GHORG
You have compulsory voting in Germany?

No, of course not. But if you don't go to the voting you are not registered as having voted. I am allways sad to see that sometimes not even 50% go voting. And I'm sure that many of them are just pissed of by the system, but they fail to express it in any way.
There once was a party of non-voters. Don't know if they're still around, though
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-10-20, 2:17 PM #54
Quote:
Originally posted by Impi
There once was a party of non-voters. Don't know if they're still around, though

They obviously didn't win any elections.:p
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...

↑ Up to the top!