Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doesn't anyone watch Baseball here?
Doesn't anyone watch Baseball here?
2004-10-21, 11:11 PM #41
It isnt a tough sport. They arent any paticular special. Stop calling them athletes cause they arent.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-10-22, 2:42 AM #42
Another thing: how many sports are so hard that players spend years in four different minor league levels working their tails off to be good enough for a cup of coffee in the Show? NFL and NBA players go straight from college, which is very rare in baseball. And you obviously have never pitched, or you would know how hard that is, and how much arm and lower body strength is needed.

Ubuu, you really don't know what you are talking about. You are making that more obvious the more you say. On top of that, stop denigrating them. You're really being a rude jerk.
KOP_blujay
Just dancin'...and singin'...in the Force.
2004-10-22, 5:26 AM #43
Welll **** I would have a minor league too if my league had no salary restriction. Who really has ALLL the money to pay all those people. Should I list my athelets?

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-10-22, 9:07 AM #44
Quote:
Originally posted by Ubuu
It isnt a tough sport. They arent any paticular special. Stop calling them athletes cause they arent.

Sorry, but that just isn't true. The MLB season is 162 games. The regular starters are a lot tougher than you might think. A season that long wears on you more than you'll ever know.
Pissed Off?
2004-10-22, 9:19 AM #45
Let me rephrase my statement, cause Avenger did point something out correctly. Anything that long would wind anyone down, I agree completey.

It isnt a tough sport cause it really isnt a sport compared to degree of difficulty. It is a tough recreation.

Whenever people have this argument with me, they always talk about pitching and hitting. Well not everyone is a pitcher and you dont have to be a pitcher to be in the league. And it isnt terribly hard to play defense at all. The Jesus look a like looks like he eats candy all day, I could jump over a fence higher then any of them.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-10-22, 9:35 AM #46
Ah. Got you. He makes a good point. There are more minor laegues than you can count in the US with thousands upon thousands of players. Most of them have no shot at the MLB and probably aren't much better at baseball than I would be if I'd continued to play past the age of 12.
Pissed Off?
2004-10-22, 10:34 AM #47
No offense, but you guys don't know what you're talking about. Baseball requires more skill than any other sport. Before you claim otherwise, try playing at a high level.
KOP_blujay
2004-10-22, 10:38 AM #48
Quote:
Originally posted by blujay
No offense, but you guys don't know what you're talking about. Baseball requires more skill than any other sport. Before you claim otherwise, try playing at a high level.

Obviously baseball requires a lot of skill to play at higher levels, but to say that it requires more skill than any other sport is jumping to conclusions. There are sports out there you aren't even aware of, much less played yourself. By the way, some NBA/NFL/NHL/etc. players might disagree with that statement.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-10-22, 11:19 AM #49
Baseball is not a sport of a high degree of difficulty. Is it really that hard to understand? Sure, it may not be the easiest thing to hit the ball....but I promise you if I run a 4.1 40 yard dash and can wear a glove, I sure as hell bet I could be a short stop making 16 mil, even if I cant hit. I don't describe the 4.1 yard dash, so thats probably why you dont see me in the league. Its ok blu, you are probably a baseball player. So are my roomates, we have this argument all the time. They claim to be better atheletes then me, because they started on their baseball teams in high school and I didnt start in my respective sports. Want to know why? Cause there are better athletes in my sport then in his. We played flag football this year...guess who is demoted to lowly blocking back were the most un-athletic players go? Him. Starting WR? Me. Ya'll are atheletic compared to other people. Just deal with it. How many baseball players can seriously say they can run 1-2 miles without getting winded? I know each sport requires you to have different conditiontioing..but if you cant even have proper overall conditioning, you are a couch potatoe.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-10-22, 11:24 AM #50
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Obviously baseball requires a lot of skill to play at higher levels, but to say that it requires more skill than any other sport is jumping to conclusions. There are sports out there you aren't even aware of, much less played yourself. By the way, some NBA/NFL/NHL/etc. players might disagree with that statement.

Michael Jordan, Mwedle Moore, Terrell Owens, Deion Sanders, just to name a few

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-10-22, 3:03 PM #51
Who's for cricket? That's probably just as scary... you don't have much padding (legs, hands and face) and those balls can go bloody fast. They might be harder than baseball balls, but I don't have any ezperience.

And sports like cricket and baseball focus more on timing than anything else. If you miss a swing, either the umpire gets a handfull of ball, or the small pieces of wood go flying for six (ba-dum-pshh). If you get it right, everyone goes woo, and you start running.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-10-22, 5:59 PM #52
Quote:
Originally posted by Ubuu
Michael Jordan, Mwedle Moore, Terrell Owens, Deion Sanders, just to name a few

Michael Jordan was not nearly as good a baseball player as he was a basketball player. Deion Sanders was not as good a baseball player as he was a football player; he eventually quit baseball to play football exclusively. I haven't heard of that Moore guy, and I don't know what other sports T.O. has played.

Ubuu, don't confuse conditioning with skill. Baseball doesn't involve as much constant running as some other sports. That does not mean it is easier to be good at, or requires less skill. Anyone can run several miles a day and get into shape. Not everyone can hit a baseball well, or throw accurately, or consistently make good defensive plays.

"but I promise you if I run a 4.1 40 yard dash and can wear a glove, I sure as hell bet I could be a short stop making 16 mil, even if I cant hit."

You continue to show how little you know about baseball.
KOP_blujay
2004-10-22, 6:34 PM #53
If you can't hit you're a utility guy at best, but in order to be the utility guy, you have to hit in the minors
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!