Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Team Americrap
Team Americrap
2004-10-24, 7:35 PM #1
I saw the movie today, and couldn't believe that South Park's creators would spew out such utter crap. I'd have to blame it on the way they decided to make the film. From an article a massassian posted a while back, they just wanted to do a movie with puppets. From that, they crammed their ideas into it, and went with that.

There were VERY few laugh-out-loud parts. Namelly The puppet-sex . Other than that, the random and blunt sexuality was utter crap. Sexuality is only funny in inuendo form. Oh, looky, a man sucking another man's penis... is this supposed to be funny? No.

The political jokes were so subtle, that few people laughed, even though we all got the joke. It was like someone was playing bugs bunny on a TV in the background of 'Saving Private Ryan.' Sure, we saw the anvil fall on his head, but are we laughing? No. Because it's on a TV in the background.

Un Or Ig In Al It Y. Holy crap. This movie had overused, overabused, and litterally ***-*****ed jokes. In-fact, I think I'd get more entertainment out of a knock knock joke, than the cliche and unoriginal jokes in this movie.

And finally, for god's sake... I love rude humor, but my mtoher wasn't even in the room, and the ackward silences in the theatre at some of the outright idiotic offensive things was embarassing. Someone saying **** a million times isn't funny, it's just swearing...

All in all, I give it a flaming .5 out of 5. I expected far greater from the people who brought me South Park: Longer, Bigger, and Uncut.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-24, 7:52 PM #2
It's "Bigger, Longer, & Uncut."
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-10-24, 7:53 PM #3
It was hilarious.
2004-10-24, 7:59 PM #4
I liked it :\
2004-10-24, 8:12 PM #5
Kirby's just bitter.
D E A T H
2004-10-24, 8:27 PM #6
No, I agree completely Kirby - I'm glad someone sees with me eye to eye.

I went and saw it with two other big South Park fans - I mean, we're in love with SP (Can't wait for Wednesday!)

At the end, one of them said "That would have been funny if I hadn't hit puberty yet"

The movie pretty much sucked. The way they did the puppets was incredible - but the plot and dialogue and jokes were stale at best.

Saying the F word thousands of time just is not funny. The reason it's so funny in South Park is because its children saying most of the crude language, or the teacher, or something ironic.

Here is puppets acting like adults, and so them saying **** just is not funny. When I would look around the theater as well, not many of the adults/college students were rolling on the floor laughing when the puppets would swear - hell, the person in front of me left about an hour into it and did not come back. The high school teens though were rolling in their seats.

Jokes were over used. The Team America song? 3 times in the movie? Overused. The sex jokes - Completely overused. The political jokes - fine, but for a movie? If someone watches this twenty years from now, most of it won't make sense. That's just sad for something that took them so long to make.

I would give it a 1/5. There's a reason that the movie got #3 opening weekend (And not because it was R). The movie's getting poor word of mouth. The college campus I'm at; I haven't heard any 'amazing' reviews like I've seen online. "This is Matt and Trey's best work ever!" No - it's not. I can think of 30+ SP episodes that made me laugh more.

I expected better as well.
2004-10-24, 8:41 PM #7
I work at a theatre. The worst thing ever was this one guy, he brought his 4 year old son to it. Poor kid never even knew what was coming...
It's not a good comando name
2004-10-24, 8:47 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Omega42
I work at a theatre. The worst thing ever was this one guy, he brought his 4 year old son to it. Poor kid never even knew what was coming...

I think its stupid how more and more people are bringing 5 year olds and stuff to watch R rated movies. They dont know whats going on and theres stuff that could seriously rot their minds.
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-10-24, 8:50 PM #9
I can't say that I didn't like it.

I thought it was funny, but South Park is far more funny.

But to be honest, I'm quite surprised I haven't heard a bunch of people complaining about the movie.

I didn't get the title until the moment the movie started.

The title alone is making fun of the US, saying we're acting as though america is supposed to police the entire world, if that makes sense.

So many things about the movie could've easily brought on plenty of complaints from all sorts of different people, but I'm somewhat suprised I've heard none of it... although I hardly hear anything about anything like this, so I guess it's not surprising.

Has there been a lot of complaining about the movie?
2004-10-24, 8:51 PM #10
haha this movie was insanely awesome. best movie i have ever seen. i was laughing all the way through. i cant see how you like south park, yet hate this. it WAS an hour and half long episode of south park with puppets. they say **** in south park all the time, demon. the dialoge was bad because matt a trey were making fun of the other movies that bruckhimer and the like make and people, for some reason, eat it up.

the way they showed how badly puppets move didnt even get old. it was insane. and the gore with the puppets totally brings it up a notch and a half.

and the soundtrack... holy crap... best ever. you're whining about them using "america, **** yeah!" three times? thats the funniest DVDA(south park music) song ive heard. it should have been used more (the bummer remix was used once, so they technically only used the original twice). freedom costs a buck oh five, and pearl harbor... jesus they were hilarious. ahaha... and everyone has aids. that was so random. im...so...ronery... bwahah.

oh my god and the speech at the end. that was brilliant.

you guys totally missed the point, and i expect you to be on track especially if you like south park.

[haha yeah, some older people who didnt know that the movie is actually making fun of america and is full of south park-esque jokes left in the theater i was in. i guess they didnt see the ads that said "FROM THE MAKERS OF SOUTH PARK" like 20 times]
2004-10-24, 9:00 PM #11
I loved it and everyone that was in the theater whenever i saw it seemed to love it. And as Cazor said the soundtrack was great and the way the puppets moved was great as well.
2004-10-24, 9:12 PM #12
I loved it. I want to see it again.

I watched a Making Of on MTV and in part of it the creators said they really didn't care if anyone found it funny. They were doing this project purely for themselves. Personally, I'm pleased with their work. I don't normally like puke scenes, but for some reason when a puppet does it, it makes me laugh. Even though I had already viewed the scene before. :D

My only complaint is they missed a few chances to add to the dialogue to make it ironically humorous, specifically in the first quarter of the movie.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-10-24, 9:18 PM #13
After Gary gives the speech at the end, all of the world leaders should have started vomiting. THAT would have made it even funnier.

But it was already brilliant. :D
2004-10-25, 6:05 AM #14
It was crap and you all know it.
2004-10-25, 6:34 AM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
couldn't believe that South Park's creators would spew out such utter crap.

SOUTH PARK SUCKS COLLOSAL ***!
nope.
2004-10-25, 6:57 AM #16
I loved it both times that I saw it. The soundtrack was great, and the jokes were great. I loved Matt Damon and Michael Moore, and...I can't list anything else without cracking up.

5/5
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-25, 7:05 AM #17
America! **** YEAH!
2004-10-25, 8:55 AM #18
It's good, once.
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-10-25, 10:45 AM #19
I especially liked the part with the puppets.

what?

ok I haven't seen it yet.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2004-10-25, 12:58 PM #20
Quote:
Matt Damon.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-10-25, 5:53 PM #21
Holy crap, no. If you thought the pearl harbor song was funny... holy crap. That was the most random pot shot ever. Obviously, the creators sat down with a bunch of puppets, and started making a movie. Sure, if this were SNL or some commedy routine, throwing in a song about a different movie would be funny. But no, when it's a movie, I want the jokes to be well thought out, and elaborate inside jokes that you'd only get if you saw the movie. This movie had none of that, asside from the oral sex scene.

Seriously, the film actors guild? WTF!?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-25, 6:04 PM #22
It was a stupid movie, to be enjoyed at a lower IQ level. I'm willing to fully admit that I willingly lowered my standards of intelligence in a movie and enjoy this movie. Twice.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-10-25, 6:15 PM #23
yeah, see... wolfy got the point. seriously, kirby. trey and matt take cheap shots at actors and crappy movies ALL THE TIME. how was the pearl harbor song random? and the film actor's guild was genious. it makes sense now with the early teaser trailer and the big list of names of people who are gonna be mad when they see it... cause they called them all [film actor's guild]s.
2004-10-25, 6:25 PM #24
Sorry, when there's a sign outside of a movie that says "Lower your IQ." I tend to feel a bit less entertained.

Especially when the movie was entirelly anti-american. I'm not all that patriotic myself, but if you're going to insult a country, assume your country has a higher IQ than what the current war assumes. Basically, it's saying "Haha, america sucks because we're at war. We should be smarter than this! **** **** **** **** **** **** haha **** **** **** sex sex **** **** **** sex haha **** **** **** USA sucks **** **** **** AIDS **** **** **** haha, another movie is bad **** **** **** **** actors suck **** **** **** **** penis penis penis **** **** **** old guy just got a BJ **** **** **** **** **** there's going to be a sequel **** **** ****"

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-25, 6:46 PM #25
Quote:
Sorry, when there's a sign outside of a movie that says "Lower your IQ." I tend to feel a bit less entertained.

Especially when the movie was entirelly anti-american. I'm not all that patriotic myself, but if you're going to insult a country, assume your country has a higher IQ than what the current war assumes. Basically, it's saying "Haha, america sucks because we're at war. We should be smarter than this! **** **** **** **** **** **** haha **** **** **** sex sex **** **** **** sex haha **** **** **** USA sucks **** **** **** AIDS **** **** **** haha, another movie is bad **** **** **** **** actors suck **** **** **** **** penis penis penis **** **** **** old guy just got a BJ **** **** **** **** **** there's going to be a sequel **** **** ****"

JediKirby

Wow, you are obviously taking this movie entirely too seriously. Maybe that's why you didn't like it.
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-10-25, 6:59 PM #26
Cazor:

If you read my original post, the reason I said I find the language funny in South Park is because it is ironic. To hear children say the f word and every other word is so funny because they are children. Same when the teacher says it to the class, etc.

To hear puppets acting like adults say it, it's just not that funny when they keep doing it, over and over. Example: If one of my friends said the f word, I might find it funny the first time -depending on the context. If he kept saying it - I would be like "Dude, shut up". If I saw a fourth grader just start swearing, that would be funny as hell - because I wouldn't be expecting it. It's funny in South Park because it's IRONIC.

Yes, despite what you think - I DID GET THE MOVIE. I got the jokes against the US, the politicians, the movies, Jerry Bruckheimer - (Hell, the music alone gave that away). It just WAS NOT that funny. If I watch an episode on TV and see jokes like this, it would be better. But when I'm seeing a movie, something that's costing me $8+ to watch, I want jokes that are actually really funny and not just something that seems like it was written in a ten seconds.

There was good parts, don't get me wrong - like the speech at the end - that was very funny. But compared with other comedies, there is just better material out there. That's fine if Matt and Trey don't care if anyone laugh at it, but I bet they do care that the movie opened up so low. If they want to fetch another movie to a studio, they're going to have to have a product and back it up.

And Cazor: Read my post. The two people I went with are big south park fans like myself. It just wasn't that funny.
2004-10-25, 7:03 PM #27
i went with a bunch of south park fans (7 of em) and we all loved it. oh and i did read your post. yes its funny to hear kids swear... but thats not the point when it comes to this movie. dont rely on people saying curse words a lot to be the mian funny part. i know many people who swear a lot, because thats how people in real life talk. if anything, them swearing now and again was the only thing realistic in the movie.

and its not ironic to see fourth graders swear after the 3rd season, cause you're used to it. its nearing its ninth season, and if you still dont expect it... you... yeah. just. yeah.

its funny because swearing in general is funny, because people make such a big deal about words which hold such little meaning nowdays. matt and trey said if they didnt have to censor any of it, it wouldnt have the same effect. having all the beeps is what makes it interesting. every now and then its great to hear them swear uneditied (the "saying **** on TV" episode and bigger longer and uncut were examples). you should have been ready for liberal use of the f word. the damn tagline is "putting the "f" back in freedom" for god's sake.
2004-10-25, 7:13 PM #28
So you got the movie (Daemon), but you don't get the meaning to ironic?

Ironic

adj 1: humorously sarcastic or mocking; "dry humor"
D E A T H
2004-10-25, 7:34 PM #29
So you know the defintion of ironic, but you don't know how to spell my name? Please, no variants (British, etc) on my name.
2004-10-25, 7:39 PM #30
that has nothing to do with the discussion, demon. yes he knows the definition of ironic, you dont, and you verify that by brining up something completely non-related. congrats in failing.
2004-10-25, 7:59 PM #31
kirby, it wasn't an anti-american film. The creators kept hearing the phrase "America thinks it's the police of the world", so they decided to make a movie based around that phrase. It's a satire(like everything they do) of both that phrase and the left wing.

And for God's sake, go take a nap. You're getting pissy over a movie.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-10-25, 8:03 PM #32
Quote:

JediKirby

Ever heard of satire?

Anyway, if you didn't think the movie was funny, there's something wrong with your sense of humour. Maybe you're a woman. *shrug*
I beat the internet. The last guy was hard.
2004-10-25, 8:11 PM #33
I don't normally post on non-jk editing stuff but here goes:

I LOVED it. Kirby, go make a better movie and make millions of dollars, then talk. Sorry dude, you must have missed the point. The directors had total control of the audience, and people WILL buy the DVD.

-PA
2004-10-25, 8:15 PM #34
Quote:
Seriously, the film actors guild? WTF!?

It was hilarious to see the "news clip" of Sean Penn in the movie with the "Sean Penn - F.A.G." caption :D
2004-10-25, 8:15 PM #35
Wait... don't even start the "You make a movie, and then make an argument."

The ONLY reason the movie had ANYONE going to see it, was because it had puppets, and the south park creators' names all over it. Had I released this, it could have been just as funny, but no one would see it. Why? My name isn't in the credits of South Park.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-10-25, 9:09 PM #36
Well Kirby, I hate to say it, but you're always, ALWAYS, overly critical about movies, games, maps, everything. Why don't you just relax, and enjoy something.

Quoth the Durden--

"Just let go."
D E A T H
2004-10-25, 9:25 PM #37
It's called "Team America", it's a puppet movie, and it's made by the South Park guys. What were you expecting?

Whatever you do, never see Basketball.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-10-25, 9:31 PM #38
there should be an 8th option.

"Not even going to watch it on tv."

btw, each puppet cost about 5 grand, the heads another 2.5. there were no stunt puppets. they actually set fire to the puppets.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2004-10-25, 9:48 PM #39
hehe. "puppets are the worst thing ever. they can't do anything, they cant walk, they cant pick stuff up, they cant previsualise a scene beforehand, they cant do anything. still better than actors ."
2004-10-25, 9:52 PM #40
:cool:

Related: South Park Wednesday!

↑ Up to the top!