Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Games, games, all I see are games
Games, games, all I see are games
2004-11-25, 8:11 PM #1
Okay I've got 70 dollars to my name, and I'm wondering...

Which game to get:

Doom 3
World of Warcraft
Half-Life 2

Notes:
1) I wasn't too impressed with Half-Life 2. I played it...didn't like it too much. Only played first 2 levels and Ravenholm, but still... Would probably just be getting it for mods, if that (wasn't too impressed with CS:S, but everyone I know plays it now :\)
2) I dunno if I can afford WoW monthly :(
3) Doom 3 is okay, but I'm waiting for the mods, and it could possibly be a long wait.

Vote: Note, didn't make it a poll because most people wouldn't even look at the notes.
D E A T H
2004-11-25, 8:16 PM #2
Don't get doom3. Borrow it for a bit, wait till it drops in price and by then the mods will be starting to trickle out.

HL2 comes with cs:s which is good if you like CS, I guess.

WoW looks awesome...but that depends on your personal feelings on MMORPGS.

I personally would get HL2, which I plan on doing when DoD gets ported or whatever. Even if it's years from now.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-11-25, 8:18 PM #3
But I did--and I want to play more. "I stole it illegally and then deleted it later. Now I want more. :|

[edit-pm me]
D E A T H
2004-11-25, 8:20 PM #4
WoW ;)
2004-11-25, 8:24 PM #5
If all you have is 70 bucks to your name, I'd save it.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-11-25, 8:26 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_9286
If all you have is 70 bucks to your name, I'd save it.

Save, buy a car, get a job, buy alot of games.
Or a bike, or something
</sarcasm>
2004-11-25, 8:28 PM #7
You don't already own Doom 3? That's amazing.

The obvious choice for anyone who enjoys amazing graphics with even better gameplay would choose Half-Life 2.

The obvious choice for anyone who has a job to pay for the monthly fee and likes Warcraft would choose World of Warcraft.

The obvious choice for anyone who doesn't mind boring and repetitive gameplay, with even worse graphics would choose Doom 3.

The obvious choice for anyone who enjoys pointless killing without plot and with a lot of blood and gore would choose Painkiller.

The obvious choice for anyone who isn't having sex with John Carmack or Gabe Newell would choose FarCry.

The obvious choice for anyone who has $70 and wants a lot for his money would choose a variety of older games.
Think while it's still legal.
2004-11-25, 8:31 PM #8
You just have to get in a jab at Doom 3, dont you SAJN :rolleyes:
2004-11-25, 8:35 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
You don't already own Doom 3? That's amazing.

The obvious choice for anyone who enjoys amazing graphics with even better gameplay would choose Half-Life 2.

The obvious choice for anyone who has a job to pay for the monthly fee and likes Warcraft would choose World of Warcraft.

The obvious choice for anyone who doesn't mind boring and repetitive gameplay, with even worse graphics would choose Doom 3.

The obvious choice for anyone who enjoys pointless killing without plot and with a lot of blood and gore would choose Painkiller.

The obvious choice for anyone who isn't having sex with John Carmack or Gabe Newell would choose FarCry.

The obvious choice for anyone who has $70 and wants a lot for his money would choose a variety of older games.

/me goes to shoot SAJN with a shotgun for his Doom3 bashing but realizes his flashlight is still out

Sorry, couldn't resist :D
2004-11-25, 8:35 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by finity5
WoW ;)
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-11-25, 8:36 PM #11
Doom 3 is pretty good.

Half Life 2 is just better.

"Its the obvious choice"
former entrepreneur
2004-11-25, 8:36 PM #12
And this is the point where the thread will dissolve into a debate over which game is better, Half-Life 2, or Doom 3.

WHY DON'T YOU JUST LET IT GO. TRY NOT RESPONDING OR MAKING COMMENTS LIKE THAT ONE TIME.

Jesus, you know how dumb this really is now?

[edit] this came a little late... now it looks rather stupid, but my point remains. [/edit]
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-11-25, 8:38 PM #13
Yeah, let's not start a debate. We're offering objective opinions about games, but let's do it in a mature manner maybe...
</sarcasm>
2004-11-25, 8:40 PM #14
I'd get HL2, but I didn't like Doom 3 so I'm not really a reference. :p
2004-11-25, 8:44 PM #15
See the only problem I had with HL2 was not enough use of the grav gun. Does that change later in the game? Because like I said, I played for a while...

That and the buggy just SUCKED.
D E A T H
2004-11-25, 8:45 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
But I did--and I want to play more. I 'borrowed' it from a 'friend' we all call [nameremoved]. Then I returned it. Now I want more. :|

yep hey did you know yoshi is at war with the empire of ez
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-11-25, 8:46 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
See the only problem I had with HL2 was not enough use of the grav gun. Does that change later in the game? Because like I said, I played for a while...

That and the buggy just SUCKED.

Not enough use of the gravity gun? I never let go of it once I got it.
2004-11-25, 8:51 PM #18
Quote:

Not enough use of the Gravity Gun? You played Ravenholm right? I used the gravity gun throughout like 80% of that level. There is like a crapgillion razors, wrenches, scraps of wood, paintcans, just anything to just throw at guys and kill them. Like Shintock said, once you get it it's hard to let go.
Think while it's still legal.
2004-11-25, 8:52 PM #19
Wood and paintcans don't do a thing to anything. IF you find a wrench or sawblade, THEN maybe we can talk. 50% of the items SUCK because THEY BLOCK YOUR SCREEN.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-11-25, 8:54 PM #20
funny i've killed zombies with the broken pieces of a supply crate before
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-11-25, 8:54 PM #21
Not to mention desks, radiators, engines, crowbars, meat hooks, gas tanks, barrels... etc... And if you run out of crap to throw, just pick up the last thing you threw and throw it again. :p I killed like 4 head-crab zombie things with the same saw blade.
2004-11-25, 8:54 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Wood and paintcans don't do a thing to anything. IF you find a wrench or sawblade, THEN maybe we can talk. 50% of the items SUCK because THEY BLOCK YOUR SCREEN.

Yeah, what he said.
D E A T H
2004-11-25, 8:55 PM #23
They're supposed to block your screen. You're supposed to be able to see everything while carrying a big friggin' barrel of oil? If they didn't block the screen, he'd be *****ing about not seeing them and that it wasn't realistic.
2004-11-25, 8:57 PM #24
You should have the option of holding it out further away from you, that way you can see more. Just an idea.

But yeah, I dislike HL2, but love the gravity gun. Unfortunately, as far as combat goes, it isn't as useful as I'd like it to be. :(
D E A T H
2004-11-25, 8:57 PM #25
No, I wouldn't. I would actually be enjoying the gun instead of wandering around aimlessly lost because a friggin' barrel is covering 1/3 of the screen.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-11-25, 8:58 PM #26
I don't see how it isn't useful. I haven't used any other gun since Ravelholm. I mean, you can use EVERYTHING as a weapon. I just kept picking up my used saw blades and crowbars. Mucho fun.
2004-11-25, 8:59 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
No, I wouldn't. I would actually be enjoying the gun instead of wandering around aimlessly lost because a friggin' barrel is covering 1/3 of the screen.

Enjoying a gun holding a miniature barrel or what? Holding nothing? Holding it to the side?
2004-11-25, 9:06 PM #28
Just wait for KotOR 2 ;)
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-11-25, 9:09 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf
Just wait for KotOR 2 ;)

I'll have more money after xmas :p
D E A T H
2004-11-25, 9:23 PM #30
World of Warcraft kicked arse when I was playing, but I only did because of no monthly fee.

Halflife 2 rocks hardcore and I thought Doom 3 was boring. (Along with others surprisingly)
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-11-25, 9:46 PM #31
Doom 3 ownzorz Half No Life 2
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-11-25, 9:48 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by LonelyDagger

That's quite possibly one of the dumbest sentences I've read in my life.
2004-11-25, 9:49 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by LonelyDagger
2004-11-25, 9:51 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
Enjoying a gun holding a miniature barrel or what? Holding nothing? Holding it to the side?

Why not hold it to the side? Point it when you need to...
</sarcasm>
2004-11-25, 9:52 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by siliconcowboy
That's quite possibly one of the dumbest sentences I've read in my life.

Obviously your not a fan of reading what you write.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-11-25, 9:53 PM #36
I find it funny the immense Doom 3 fanboy has Doom 3 nor Half-Life 2, voiding a portion of his statements.
Moo.
2004-11-25, 9:55 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by FeTT
I find it funny the immense Doom 3 fanboy has Doom 3 nor Half-Life 2, voiding a portion of his statements.

I haven't said anything about the ending of either, just about what I've experienced. I've played a substantial portion of each, though. At least 5 hours on Doom 3, and at least 2-3 on HL2
D E A T H
2004-11-25, 9:55 PM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by FeTT

Last I checked, you didn't have to own a game to have played it. BTW that part of this thread doesn't exist...y'know, the part were we continually argue over nothing? Yah, that one.
</sarcasm>
2004-11-25, 9:56 PM #39
STOP FOLLOWING ME :(

But seriously, my post came out more hostile than I intended it to be. Sorry. I'm done now. Carry on. Yep. Mmhmm.
Moo.
2004-11-25, 9:58 PM #40
its not you, I'm just being a post-whore in general (no offense to any actual whores is meant)
</sarcasm>

↑ Up to the top!