Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Napoleon Dynamite Mania
Napoleon Dynamite Mania
2005-01-07, 8:56 PM #1
Is it just here, or has the absolute craze over this movie swept the nation, It started off with just me and a bunch of my friends when we went to see it in theatres. But now that it got released, suddenly my entire school is quoting it all day long. People are stuffing tots in their pockets, asking for chapstick, feeding Tina.
Just wondering if it's spread so fast so far everywhere else.

And also, has everyone seen the wedding scene at the end? I love technology....
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2005-01-07, 8:59 PM #2
That's exactly how it happened here. That movie is seriously the funniest movie I have ever seen in my life.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-01-07, 9:01 PM #3
Yeah everyone around here is like "OMG Napoleon Dynamite is hilarious!!!"

I just kinda sit and say "Ever seen Shaun of the Dead? It's really funny too..." They just look at me like I'm an alien or something, and at that point, I remember that these people are cretins.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-07, 9:05 PM #4
Napoleon Dynamite is an awesome movie. But it's got some damn nice competition from Shaun of the Dead.
D E A T H
2005-01-07, 9:50 PM #5
Yeah, even at my sheltered Christian school people are talking about it, so that's got to tell you something . . . :o
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-01-07, 10:16 PM #6
it's the best. what do ya think. gaawwwwwwwdddd!
2005-01-07, 10:43 PM #7
I liked it, it was pretty funny. But I don't quote it because I didn't see it until it hit DVD and I don't feel like looking like a loser who is jumping on the bandwagon to quote the movie.

Sadly, I have like 2 of the 3 skills he describes in the movie. I lack the hacking skills.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-07, 10:44 PM #8
Napolean Dynamite is the worst movie I have ever seen. I am not joking. Every movie I have hitherto seen has been more worthwhile than ND.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-07, 10:47 PM #9
and thus, my firm belief that most everything freelancer says is false... is becoming more and more true.

thanks. im gonna write a book on this, i swear. :)
2005-01-08, 12:16 AM #10
my sisters fiance got my sis and I to see it the other night for the first time. it's a good movie. he's always doing the voice. I just like how he's always like, (not an exact quote) "what are u doing today napolean" "whatever the **** I want, geeez" haha

but I agree it's spread, and yeah I saw the wedding scene it was funny. I also liked the short movie named and about the wig. I agree with Yoshi though, I still like "shaun of the dead" better, that movie had me rolling with laughter

Laura :)
2005-01-08, 12:38 AM #11
Well Cazor, if disliking a movie because it has no plot and no coherence is "false", then I take that as a compliment. I want to know how I can be more false.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-08, 1:03 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Well Cazor, if disliking a movie because it has no plot and no coherence is "false", then I take that as a compliment. I want to know how I can be more false.

Sometimes you gotta accept things at face value. Just because it has no plot does not mean it isn't a good movie.
D E A T H
2005-01-08, 1:25 AM #13
Hey, I thought Napoleon Dynamite was as hilarious as the next guy, and have seen it a bunch of times, but it's hard to argue that it's a "good movie." I can totally see where Freelancer is coming from; I mean, if it's it not your style of comedy, then there's really not much else to get out of the film.

Funny; yeah (in my opinion.) Pinnacle of the art of film making and story telling...nope.

(On another note, I work in the electronics department of the local Fred Meyer, and we've sold out of Napoleon Dynamite twice so far, and have had PLENTY of copies of Spider-Man 2 and Shrek 2 since they were released. And we get quite a few copies of Napoleon Dynamite with each shipment, too. It's doing really well.)

[Edit]Oh, and:

Quote:
Just because it has no plot does not mean it isn't a good movie.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that part...
2005-01-08, 7:43 AM #14
I honestly didn't like the movie that much.That's why I didn't see it in theatres, but since everyone at school has been talking about it constently, I watched it last night. I sat there the whole time while all my friends lost it thinking "This just isn't funny". But some parts where slightly funny.
2005-01-08, 7:49 AM #15
i watch alot of movie trailers online so i knew when it was going to hit the theatres. it was in the theatres for about 2 days so i didn't get the chance to see it there. i rented it as soon as it came out.

i love that stupid humor crap. like kung pow.
2005-01-08, 8:02 AM #16
It's really more of a character movie than anything else. I thought it was awesome. :o
2005-01-08, 8:05 AM #17
Tina come get some ham!
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-08, 9:44 AM #18
wait, I forgot to put in the crystals
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2005-01-08, 10:45 AM #19
There's a butt-load of gangs in this school. One of them wanted me to join because I'm pretty good with a bow-staff.
D E A T H
2005-01-08, 10:45 AM #20
I loved the movie because i just excepted it for what it was. Plus its funny as hell.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-01-08, 11:24 AM #21
I wonder how much money it took to make that movie? This just shows you how incredibly crappy movies can be the best with a little work... The cost/sales ratio on that movie are probably really, really low. How much of a fortune did they make? I lost track as the sums became outrageous...
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2005-01-08, 11:26 AM #22
I watched it for about 10 minutes then turned it off in disgust... oh btw poster right above me your signature is from an awsome song, it's even better when you are stoned. :D
2005-01-08, 11:29 AM #23
That is an AWSOME song!
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2005-01-08, 11:30 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Double Helix
I wonder how much money it took to make that movie? This just shows you how incredibly crappy movies can be the best with a little work... The cost/sales ratio on that movie are probably really, really low. How much of a fortune did they make? I lost track as the sums became outrageous...

The budget was $400,000 and made $44,000,000 in the box office.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-08, 11:41 AM #25
Now that is economy.
2005-01-08, 11:42 AM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
There's a butt-load of gangs in this school. One of them wanted me to join because I'm pretty good with a bow-staff.

That is probably the best quote from the movie.
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2005-01-08, 11:49 AM #27
Much agreed.

And it's Pink Floyd - Time. Get it right sir.

Animals > *
D E A T H
2005-01-08, 11:52 AM #28
Same thigns going on at my school, even the teachers talk about it ( and even quote). Kinda makes me feel a little snobbish, having seen it the first week it came out,especially after everyone's "I heard that movie sucks, it looks terrible". Now everyone's raving about it, same way with Anchorman.
2005-01-08, 11:52 AM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by R_ivi_N
That is probably the best quote from the movie.

What about "It took me like half an hour to get the shading right on your upper lip" (paraphrased)? I think that was my favorite. :p
2005-01-08, 12:01 PM #30
everybody and their brother is talking about it, but I haven't seen it yet. I don't know if it's my kinds of humor. I'll probably end up seeing it at some point.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-01-08, 12:16 PM #31
It had no plot. A really funny movie can justify this with lots of humor. Napoleon Dynamite was a boring abortion of a movie with the occasional chuckle thrown in.
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
2005-01-08, 12:23 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn42689
What about "It took me like half an hour to get the shading right on your upper lip" (paraphrased)? I think that was my favorite. :p

2 hours. ;)
D E A T H
2005-01-08, 12:27 PM #33
Most people who like the movie, say they loved it. And the people who hate the movie say that it had no plot.

I ask you this: What was so fantastic about other comedy movies plots that they were even worth having? It usually just gets in the way of the funny in my perspective. If I want plot, I'll rent a drama. If I was stupid funnies I rent a comedy.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-08, 12:48 PM #34
Okay, granted, El Scorcho, but it wasn't funny either. At all.
2005-01-08, 12:51 PM #35
Quote:
2 hours. ;)

Oh, right. I haven't seen it since it first came out. >.<
2005-01-08, 1:32 PM #36
Quote:
Much agreed.

And it's Pink Floyd - Time. Get it right sir.

Animals > *

I was stating the band and album, not the song. I know it's time.
2005-01-08, 2:42 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Evad
i watch alot of movie trailers online so i knew when it was going to hit the theatres. it was in the theatres for about 2 days so i didn't get the chance to see it there. i rented it as soon as it came out.

i love that stupid humor crap. like kung pow.

YES! i loved both!... but Shaun of the Dead is superior.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-08, 5:44 PM #38
You either love it or you hate it, really. I thought the movie was absolutely awesome. Can't say whether or not I'd watch it again, though. I was one of those few who saw it in theaters. Odd how it became so popular on DVD all of the sudden. :confused:
Moo.
2005-01-08, 6:25 PM #39
Quote:
But now that it got released, suddenly my entire school is quoting it all day long.
Napoleon Dynamite will go the way of "We are the Knights who say Ni!" and "I'm Rick James, *****!"
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-01-08, 6:36 PM #40
Over here in washington it stated in theaters for 14 weeks straight. I knew people who saw it like 6 to 10 times in the theater.
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood

↑ Up to the top!