Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Chances of getting caught?
Chances of getting caught?
2005-01-09, 10:49 AM #1
Ever cited a real source for information that you got off the top of your head? What do you think the chances are of getting caught doing this?
2005-01-09, 10:51 AM #2
I did once or twice when I was in High School, when I knew something was a fact but only after I had spent a week searching for the source I had read it in and was unable to find it.
2005-01-09, 11:07 AM #3
My team did that during a debate tournament. No one called us on it though, heh.
I have a signature.
2005-01-09, 11:50 AM #4
One of my friends took a public speaking class this year. He had to give a speech on golf, and, if I understood the story correctly, ended up making the thing up on the spot. This included the famous golfer he mentioned. Of course, no one called him on the false information after he received 40 out of 40 points as a score.
2005-01-09, 11:52 AM #5
I've done this plenty of times in high school and once in college. Never got caught. I also got a B on a book report I did just from reading the back of the book. :D
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-09, 11:57 AM #6
The punishment for getting caught is high but the risk is moderate I think. Just be careful that you don't do it to much.
2005-01-09, 11:59 AM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
The punishment for getting caught is high but the risk is moderate I think. Just be careful that you don't do it to much.

The punishment is -10 points. Whoop-dee-doo.
D E A T H
2005-01-09, 12:02 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi

Not here it isn't

If they know where the fact is from and is, automatic failure.
Stupid nazi teacher...
2005-01-09, 12:06 PM #9
Quote:

Try getting kicked out of colleges in some cases.
2005-01-09, 12:12 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth
Try getting kicked out of colleges in some cases.

Yeah, but if it's that case, then I would hope you wouldn't even THINK of trying this. Besides, iirc, Mikus is still in HS
D E A T H
2005-01-09, 12:13 PM #11
Quote:

For my school its an atomatic 3-day suspension.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-01-09, 12:16 PM #12
Fine then, how about how my old high school handled it. Automatic failure of the course, so if this was senior English, a state required course to graduate, well, the school would be saying hello again next year.
2005-01-09, 12:17 PM #13
Depends on the school, it could just be a slap on the wrist and run along, or it could be worse.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-09, 12:18 PM #14
I did it all throughout High School.
Freshman year though the whole class got busted.
She went to the sources and found out some of them were fake. She went to some of them and found some of them coutained similar sentances as our papers.
\
2005-01-09, 12:18 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by MadQuack
My team did that during a debate tournament. No one called us on it though, heh.

MadQuack debates? OMQ.

Cite it if you can... makes it a lot more credible anyway.
2005-01-09, 12:19 PM #16
Yeah DJ Yoshi you might not have a high punishment cause you aren't high enough in the school system yet. When you get to college they don't put up with that **** anymore it's an automatic faliure and if you get caught 2 times they kick you out and your money is gone.
2005-01-09, 12:19 PM #17
Then what if it's something that gets documented on your record. Colleges will definitely look at that when you're applying, and no college with any kind of standards is going to take someone who did something as serious as that.
2005-01-09, 12:21 PM #18
Wow, you guys went to strict-*** high schools. That's all I can say. The only time you'd actually fail the course is Senior year, when you should already know how to write papers. At least here, and my old HS too.

Most Public schools have bigger concerns than someone who made up sources.
D E A T H
2005-01-09, 12:22 PM #19
That's the kind of thing where it really doesn't matter how well you actually do. The trick to getting high marks is to get to know your teachers and their views, and then work around that. Say what they want to hear and they'll make you pass.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-09, 12:34 PM #20
as far as I know, the punishments for making up sources aren't as high as not citing sources (aka plagarism). I think failure or suspension would be more for the latter than the former, but it would depend on your school I guess.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-01-09, 12:35 PM #21
Plagarism at my university is punished by getting not only a 0 in the course you copied in, but in ALL of your courses for the semester.
2005-01-09, 12:36 PM #22
Yoshi we aren't talking about HS.
2005-01-09, 12:56 PM #23
Quote:
Yoshi we aren't talking about HS.

If you would've read one of my posts, it states that, if I remember correctly, Mikus is in High School.

You know what's sad? You're the one in Uni, and yet I'm having to tell you how to read a friggin forum post.
D E A T H
2005-01-09, 1:33 PM #24
Atleast I'm not the one running around saying this is a non serrious slap on the wrist.
2005-01-09, 1:45 PM #25
At my school the punishment is a 0 on the paper, and that's the final year of High School
2005-01-09, 2:00 PM #26
Quote:
Wow, you guys went to strict-*** high schools. That's all I can say. The only time you'd actually fail the course is Senior year, when you should already know how to write papers. At least here, and my old HS too.

Most Public schools have bigger concerns than someone who made up sources.

/me :p s at yoshi because he wont hear this responce.

Any public school worth their government funding will make sure that people caught doing things like that wont want to do it agian.

They id not go to a strict school, you went to a very relaxed school.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-01-09, 2:08 PM #27
And that explains why he is the way he is.
2005-01-09, 2:10 PM #28
Doing that is great in public HS since teachers really don't want to waste their time too much on grading students (heck in the US a teacher gets paid the same amount of money whether they are a 7th Grade English teacher or a High School Science Teacher). So it doesn't really matter. However a good High School teacher will put in the extra effort and call you on your sources. In reality they are doing you a favor cause alot of Colleges take fake sources very seriously (and alot of state colleges are just looking for ways to kick freshmen out since they need the space... it also helps keep their numbers right on paper, at least here in Texas).
Time is but a window
Death is but a doorway
He'll be back
2005-01-09, 2:39 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by sugarless5
as far as I know, the punishments for making up sources aren't as high as not citing sources (aka plagarism). I think failure or suspension would be more for the latter than the former, but it would depend on your school I guess.

That's the way it is at my college. If you don't have a source for something, you generally get marked off for not being able to back up your statement or point. That's not the same as plagarism.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-09, 3:45 PM #30
Same thing at my college. Plagarism is punished much more heavily then simply failing to cite a source. Though my teacher last semester in English basically viewed the two as the same thing, his logic being that if you failed to cite your source, its because you were claiming that you wrote it yourself.
Life is beautiful.
2005-01-09, 3:47 PM #31
Quote:
Atleast I'm not the one running around saying this is a non serrious slap on the wrist.

You really are an idiot, aren't you? Can you not comprehend IN HIGH SCHOOL. Said out there, plainly, simply, IN HIGH SCHOOL, before senior year, they don't do much for it. Why? Most of the time you don't have more than a few research papers a year. I know I only had 3. BS'ing a source would get 0 points for what it's worth on the final grade for sources (which is usually ~10 points) and probably a nasty note from the teacher. Because it's not plagiarizing, it's making something up. Plagiarizing would get a 0 on a paper, and possible expulsion, probably suspension.

Jesus people, read READ please.

[Edit] Thanks Avenger, Rogue, and sugarless for reading. Props.
D E A T H
2005-01-09, 4:15 PM #32
You know maybe if you stopped being such an ignorant child insulting everyone, I would take the time to read your posts more indept.
2005-01-09, 4:15 PM #33
Falsifying sources is seen as just as bad as plagiarism by some places (my college included).

I love how you try and rationalize something like that just because some places may not punish it as heavily as others.
2005-01-09, 4:51 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth
Falsifying sources is seen as just as bad as plagiarism by some places (my college included).

I love how you try and rationalize something like that just because some places may not punish it as heavily as others.

It depends on the situation. Like I said, if it was a MAJOR paper, I wouldn't even think about it. Something I had 2 nights to do, that the teacher will read through and not think twice about? If I'm in a pinch, sure.

Mech--I love how you call ME the ignroant child. Hypocrisy at its finest. And it's in DEPTH.
D E A T H
2005-01-09, 4:53 PM #35
Quote:

Mech--I love how you call ME the ignroant child. Hypocrisy at its finest. And it's in DEPTH.

Yoshi, in all honesty i've never had anything against ya, but u need to back up off of mech

On the contrary he's not ignorant at all, and I for one will say i think he's def. a man and not a child.

Laura
2005-01-09, 4:58 PM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by BoricuaDelight
Yoshi, in all honesty i've never had anything against ya, but u need to back up off of mech

On the contrary he's not ignorant at all, and I for one will say i think he's def. a man and not a child.

Laura

Well he certainly doesn't show the intelligence and common sense a MAN would. I admit I'm not a man, I'm 16, I don't want to be yet. I don't have a job, I don't have a car, but him insinuating that he's a man...oh god. Don't get me started.

I have nothing against you either. I insult Mech because he's very belligerent. Of course, he probably doesn't show this side around you.
D E A T H
2005-01-09, 4:58 PM #37
I did it a few times in high school. Didn't get caught, thankfully
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-01-09, 5:26 PM #38
I'm with Yosh on this. Idiots trying to tag-team him.
2005-01-09, 6:16 PM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
That's the kind of thing where it really doesn't matter how well you actually do. The trick to getting high marks is to get to know your teachers and their views, and then work around that. Say what they want to hear and they'll make you pass.

Its very sad how true this is, I figured this out in the 7th grade when I read a book that my english teacher raved about constantly, and got one of my best grades on the book report for it, where some kids book reports, who I even thought was better than mine, had worse grades.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-01-09, 6:17 PM #40
hmm...how about we all try and be nice, civilized people and try to stop with the name calling-especially calling people idiots. I have no doubt that the two of you (the two of you being mech and yoshi) can put you points across without having to insult one another's intelligence in the process.

I guess in reference to the question, it would probably depend on your circumstance, the risk and probability of getting caught. If you don't think your teacher will go through your references and the punishment isn't too high, I would probably do it, though I can't actually advise anyone to do so. good luck with your paper!
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.

↑ Up to the top!