Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Resident Evil 4 - "You don't own it. It owns you."
Resident Evil 4 - "You don't own it. It owns you."
2005-01-09, 5:43 PM #1
Or at least that's what it looks like right now.

After collecting dust for ages, my Gamecube got some mileage late last year thanks to the excellent Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door...and the best is yet to come it seems.

I absolutely positively hated every Resident Evil game so far, but this looks good...o so very very good.

You can check out some trailers here. The TGS 2K4 Trailer HD is especially nice.
2005-01-09, 5:44 PM #2
I have money, I must buy this game...
2005-01-09, 6:03 PM #3
I preordered it today. I can't wait.
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2005-01-09, 6:21 PM #4
man i have been a fan of the RE series ever since the REsident Evil came out. But this...this....this just looks like pure sex. it has sex machine written all over it...If this game came out last year, it would have easily been the best console game of the year. However, this year it has the new Zelda game to deal with...why oh why didn't they release this last year????
All your bacon are belong to me

< robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
< bawss> Right click.

http://www.bash.org/?462310
2005-01-09, 6:24 PM #5
It probably wasn't finished..
>>untie shoes
2005-01-10, 4:39 AM #6
The final Review of the "big three" (Gamespy, IGN, Gamespot) is now online with a 7 Minute (and free) Video Review:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adventure/residentevil4/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_story
2005-01-10, 8:48 AM #7
Yea I pre-ordered this game a before christmas. Its gonna ROCK. The demo is awesome I love it!
Oberfeldwebel says: ..... You are the epitome of idiocy.
2005-01-10, 11:12 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by KnobZ
I absolutely positively hated every Resident Evil game so far, but this looks good...o so very very good.

GAH! What's wrong with you?? I thought they were awsome, especially RE3. Ah well....

Anyways, I have to wait for PS2 release because I don't have Gamecube. December seems a long time away...
No sig.
2005-01-10, 12:07 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by HCF_Duke
GAH! What's wrong with you?? I thought they were awsome, especially RE3. Ah well....

Anyways, I have to wait for PS2 release because I don't have Gamecube. December seems a long time away...

Gah whats wrong with you?

Are you a fascist?

People can have different opinions, you know? It shouldn't be so shocking that GASP someone doesn't like something you like.
2005-01-10, 12:19 PM #10
I'm downloading it now I'll give ya my opinion after I watch it but from what I've seen in screenshots and previews this looks like it's gonna be a good one.
2005-01-10, 12:36 PM #11
I preordered the game almost a year ago...
I literally expected this game over a year ago...

I

AM

READY.

And the 9.8 that IGN gave it didn't exactly dampen my desire to own this game.
or be owned by it, whatever.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-01-10, 3:33 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

Are you a fascist?

People can have different opinions, you know? It shouldn't be so shocking that GASP someone doesn't like something you like.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot sir (props Bill).

He was just messing around. Chill.
D E A T H
2005-01-10, 3:37 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi

;)
>>untie shoes
2005-01-10, 4:49 PM #14
Quote:

Yeah. What is up with all the "people have different opinions" posts? Half the fun of an internet board is being able to prod people abit.

Well, okay, most of the fun! :D
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-10, 4:54 PM #15
Oh wow, the enemies have AI files instead of pre-coded "Walk towards player until killed" scripts.
Oh wow, you're able to jump and interact with the invironments more, instead of the same slow walk down the same mansion hallways in the same zombie-infested town.
Holy crap, you can go to a store and BUY ammo!?
And you mean to tell me that I can finally AIM with my weapon?!

Last I checked, these weren't FEATURES in a game, they were STANDARDS.

I will be impressed when the game has something other than zombie creatures, boring storylines, cliche characters, and rigid/repetative gameplay.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-10, 5:10 PM #16
The thing is, if not for its controls and downfalls, RE would've always been a great game. It still was, for the most part. Now it's just even better.
D E A T H
2005-01-10, 5:18 PM #17
I never liked the RE series that much either, but I might make an exception for this one because of this fact

Quote:
Resident Evil 4 is an action adventure game with an emphasis on action. There's rarely any question about where you're supposed to go next or what you're supposed to do, even though some of the environments are quite open-ended. The game is so action-packed that even some of the seemingly noninteractive cinematic cutscenes require fast reflexes on your part (so don't you dare put down the controller).

I played RE2 for the Sega Saturn a long time ago, and I never gotten into it because I kept on running out of ammo. I'm not really into the survival horror genre.
2005-01-10, 5:18 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
I will be impressed when the game has something other than zombie creatures, boring storylines, cliche characters, and rigid/repetative gameplay.

JediKirby

Funny. That's what everyone is saying this game has.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-10, 5:34 PM #19
*sigh*

<Yakov Smirnoff>
In Soviet Russia, Resident Evil 4 owns you!
</Yakov Smirnoff>
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-01-10, 5:47 PM #20
Quote:
Oh wow, the enemies have AI files instead of pre-coded "Walk towards player until killed" scripts.
Oh wow, you're able to jump and interact with the invironments more, instead of the same slow walk down the same mansion hallways in the same zombie-infested town.

JediKirby

1. Yeah, cuz they're not zombies, because it would have been smart to have intelligent zombies.

2. The limited controls were there for a reason. If they had you controlling like Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden), wtf would the game be?

3. I don't think anyone's making a big deal out of this.

4. Yeah being 3D now and all.
2005-01-10, 6:43 PM #21
Quote:

JediKirby

Have you ever actually played resident evil?
>>untie shoes
2005-01-10, 7:12 PM #22
I own them all for PC. I used to be big into them. Then I played games that showed me new dimensions of gameplay that, as I didn't know, part of the mainstream of gaming. RE was suddenly a child's game in comparison to things like SC, and Theif.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-10, 7:24 PM #23
I've always hated the controls in RE games. They always promise the controls will be better, but they never are.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-01-11, 5:45 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

Are you a fascist?

Yoshi's right... I was just messin around, don't take everything I say seriously. I gonna see if I can go to my friend's house next weekend to play it on his gamecube. Until RE4 comes out on PS2, I'll be waiting for Outbreak File #2
No sig.
2005-01-11, 6:35 AM #25
Quote:
I own them all for PC. I used to be big into them. Then I played games that showed me new dimensions of gameplay that, as I didn't know, part of the mainstream of gaming. RE was suddenly a child's game in comparison to things like SC, and Theif.

JediKirby

Too bad they aren't for PC they are for GC and PS2.
2005-01-11, 10:45 AM #26
This is a big step for the Resident Evil Franchise.
Two blatant visible reasons:

No umbrella corporation (so we think, according to reviews I"ve read)
Totally different style of gameplay.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-01-11, 11:10 AM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Veger

Crap! They're goes my theory that they made a new strain of virus.
No sig.
2005-01-11, 2:09 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle
I've always hated the controls in RE games. They always promise the controls will be better, but they never are.

They never were...until now. The videos make the game's controls look quite slick (minus a strafe button, however).
2005-01-11, 3:22 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Veger
This is a big step for the Resident Evil Franchise.
Two blatant visible reasons:

Totally different style of gameplay.

I loved Umbrella.

:(
D E A T H
2005-01-11, 4:29 PM #30
I just got it!!!!! so excited, im going to go play it now, will give full details when i get back.

< bawss> Right click.

2005-01-11, 4:58 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
Too bad they aren't for PC they are for GC and PS2.

Actually, they were released on PC. Gamecube got a remade first one as well as Zero, both exlcusive to that system. But the core first three Resident Evils were released on PC.

2005-01-11, 5:25 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie06
Actually, they were released on PC. Gamecube got a remade first one as well as Zero, both exlcusive to that system. But the core first three Resident Evils were released on PC.

Because, you know, they were MEANT for PC (not slashing you). Honestly, it's like someone who plays FF7 for the PC with a keyboard, or ssbm with a keyboard, and doesn't get why it's so fun.

Play it on the platform for which it was designed, people.
D E A T H
2005-01-11, 7:43 PM #33
I own it for PC, and have played it many times on the PS2 and GC. Not fun. Boring. You shoot one zombie, and you've literally shot every single other zombie. There's no scare factor, because every single cliche thing that could happen, does.

"Hey look, some ammo.... maybe if I pick it up and put it in my... HOLY KAKKING KAKMASTER! ZOMBIES!"

The storyline bores me to absolute death. I've already seen a couple 'one corporation infects a city with x virus' movies.

And the puzzles are possibly the worst thing in the entire game. You'd think a puzzle here and there would break up the bland action (Like it does in SH, which only gets more points because of it's good puzzles, and it's great scare-factor), but instead it uses puzzle placements and locked doors that MUST have been applied randomly by the developers. "Oh look, a door... I'll bet instead of going through it and enjoying a rich storyline with interesting characters, thoughtful and new sorts of enemies, and possibly even a mystery or two I'll care about, The door will be locked, and I'll spend the hours that could have been spent on the above piling through hoards of the EXACT same enemy, and looking for the key to this door.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-11, 8:11 PM #34
ok kirb, not to shoot you down or anything, but i somewhat disagree and somewhat agree with what you are say. however, resident evil 4 completely eliminates the problem with action and ****.

Any control issues that you may have had with past resident evils is gone. the controls in resident evil 4 are ****ing brilliant. It is essentially the same controlls as past resident evil's. cept this time around when you want the knife (which is USEFUL) it is mapped the the l-trigger for easy use so you don;t have to go to the inventory screen. It helps save ammo, and is a great way to insult the zombies.

Actually, i should put the zombies in quotes, cause they're not zombies. They are smart and work together, which is really cool. When they work together to get you, its fun to find ways to stop them. Like if one guy is throwing dynomite and he is in a big pack of em, when he throws another stick of dynomite, when he lifts his arm to throw it, shoot it out of his hand and boom, there goes that big pack of 'zombies' and a lot of ammo saved.

This game is sooo sweet, and i'm only 1 hour into it. i'll write up a full review later. but i can already say this

GO AND GET IT!!!!!

< bawss> Right click.

2005-01-11, 8:13 PM #35
Again, the above is STANDARD in today's video games. RE is always going to be 2 years behind, if they keep astonishing themselves by updating their teams concept of "Video Game" once a new system comes out.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-11, 8:34 PM #36
Quote:
Again, the above is STANDARD in today's video games. RE is always going to be 2 years behind, if they keep astonishing themselves by updating their teams concept of "Video Game" once a new system comes out.

JediKirby

Play the game you bitter little midget, instead of bashing it. Then talk to us.

:p
D E A T H
2005-01-12, 2:18 AM #37
Quote:
Because, you know, they were MEANT for PC (not slashing you). Honestly, it's like someone who plays FF7 for the PC with a keyboard, or ssbm with a keyboard, and doesn't get why it's so fun.

Play it on the platform for which it was designed, people.

ff7 looks better on my PC. :P
2005-01-12, 4:18 AM #38
Ok, to all of those who actually hate the controls, Capcom has explained in the past for the Resident Evil 1 remake and future titles that they are keeping the controls the same to instill a bigger sense of fear and to make you rush more.
No sig.
2005-01-12, 8:51 AM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
ff7 looks better on my PC. :P

Yes but it's still not as fun cause the controls are all wrong.
2005-01-12, 9:07 AM #40
About having smart ai.
It's all well and good for various monsters and demons etc to have ai
But zombies?
Zombies aren't supposed to be smart, they are supposed to walk at you untill you kill them, that's what zombies are for.

But my issues with smart brainless things aside:
Looks very sweet.
You can't judge a book by it's file size

↑ Up to the top!