Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → State of Massassi Thread
State of Massassi Thread
2005-01-10, 8:18 PM #1
I never would have thought it true. If someone would have told me I would have started this thread here, I would have cursed them out.

I used to be an active regular poster at The Admiral's Command Chamber. In fact, I guess I still am but an active poster there can sparsely manage a post a week now. TACC really used to have a thriving, active, but small community. We were known as snobbish elitests, I guess. Probably because we all pretty much "knew" each other. However, we were always accepting of new members as long as they were cordial. We didn't like spamming and such and I think that where people got the snobbish attitude from.

I was banned from there for a turn. Not so much because of anything I actually did, but because I was apart of a distracting situation. I was content to "suffer" through it for awhile. Truth be told, I never thought it would be permanent. I came back to Massassi. I say come back because I had been a member long ago when JK and DF were fresh. I came back because I knew that many TACC members were here and I knew I would be leaving shortly for Iraq. [This] long story short, I was "unbanned" from TACC and returned to post there and continued to occasionally post here. Now, TACC is all but dead and this place has actually taken a little bit bigger place in my heart.

Now, don't think I'm getting all mushy here. I just mean to say I enjoy coming here, looking for good conversation, picking the occasional "fight", and, maybe, making some new friends. Hell, I even like my "enemies".

Lately, there seems to be an influx of anit-massassi posts and threads and a whole lot of attack-type posts/threads. To a certain extent a little dissent is fine. I would suggest that most of us should simply ignore them. I would suggest that Brian, someone I've come to sort of admire, simply delete pointless threads. Pointless in the obnoxious sense.

I think some want to prove a point, some want to rebel a little, and some simply want to cause problems. Yeah, it's only an internet forum but, for many, it's a little bit or alot of socializing with friends.

I know where I wanted to go with this thread but I don't seem to be able to come to a conclusion. So, just discuss.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-10, 8:21 PM #2
Brian should destory the forums. Honestly it would be better for everyone. People might enjoy such things as outdoor activities...or a LIFE. No offense to anyone though. This isn't pointed at anyone specific. But with the destruction of these forums a few things will happen.

1. The people that NEED massassi will have to find a way to get over it.
2. People will go outside.
3. The OSC Empire forums will get more popular. >.> <.<
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-10, 8:23 PM #3
Massassi is going through a state of insecurity. It seems like everyone has to make a thread about where Massassi is going, whether they should leave, how people should act at Massassi. It's so much better when no one gives a ****. Just let Massassi be the way it is.

As for a discussion of origin of members, that's pretty interesting. I used to play a lot of JK, so obviously I had to come here for mods. I saw the "forum", didn't know what it was, clicked it... and here I am.
2005-01-10, 8:23 PM #4
The forums seem fine as ever to me. I just don't read threads by people that I know make stupid threads.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-10, 8:25 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
The forums seem fine as ever to me. I just don't read threads by people that I know make stupid threads.

Brilliant!
2005-01-10, 8:25 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master

Don't know much about this "OSC" but I agree that people should put the forums in perspective. I occasionally spend too much time here but I go days with out even turning my computer on.

I do not, however, like people coming here to tear it down.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-10, 8:27 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
Brian should destory the forums. Honestly it would be better for everyone. People might enjoy such things as outdoor activities...or a LIFE. No offense to anyone though. This isn't pointed at anyone specific. But with the destruction of these forums a few things will happen.

4. Everyone will find SAJN and murder him violently.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-10, 8:28 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Connection Problem
Massassi is going through a state of insecurity...

True. A few members have started some threads based on their feelings.

So?

Anonomous internet forum members have feelings, too! It's a natural urge to want to speak out on something you think might be unfinished.

2005-01-10, 8:29 PM #9
fear not
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-10, 8:31 PM #10
Ma tana ka aha...
2005-01-10, 8:31 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_9286
4. Everyone will find SAJN and murder him violently.

It's stuff like this that has forced Brian to take such drastic actions. Is it impossible for some people to just drop the insulting and flaming? This may just be an internet message board, but it's members are real people.
2005-01-10, 8:32 PM #12
When I first joined here, things were so much better. ignorance is bliss. I was just a kid and I didn't mind that people made fun of me. Because I was having fun. I was too stupid to care. Then again it was kind of smart of me not to care. *sigh* the 'glory days'. Anyway I don't really care anymore. I just come here to chat with friends and sometimes debate even. It's fun.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-10, 8:34 PM #13
I think some people need to make their way to the forum of love. Bring back the lovin'.
2005-01-10, 8:37 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Temuera

OMG, was that a crack baby? Poor thing. Hold me!

[sorry, didn't know how else to respond to that]

2005-01-10, 8:42 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by JediHunter_X
It's stuff like this that has forced Brian to take such drastic actions. Is it impossible for some people to just drop the insulting and flaming? This may just be an internet message board, but it's members are real people.

No, this is the problem. People who over react without comprehension. It was an obvious joke. SAJN said the forums should die so we have free time. Phoenix made a suggestion as to what to do with said free time. This is actually fun, harmless joking. Don't read so far into it.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-01-10, 8:53 PM #16
I agree. Unfortunately people take things too seriously around here now. Even a year ago this place was a great, quirky community full of people just here to have fun. I know we can get back to that, and I hope we do.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-01-10, 8:58 PM #17
Maybe I am, but that's still how I see it.
2005-01-10, 9:01 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
I agree. Unfortunately people take things too seriously around here now. Even a year ago this place was a great, quirky community full of people just here to have fun. I know we can get back to that, and I hope we do.

Amen. Though I am part of the problem.
D E A T H
2005-01-10, 9:08 PM #19
It seems to me that every three months or so there's a flurry of posts proclaiming that Massassi is dying or is entering a new dark age, or the trolls are taking over, or the average IQ has dropped even further (which would be a feat, admittedly, ;) ), etc.

Having been here for, what, five years, I don't think I've really seen a noticable decline in the quality of the forums. People are still as cynical as ever, and the same things still provoke flame wars. The claims that people take things too seriously and don't understand humor have always been especially popular.

The only substantive difference is a great decline in the number of creative uses of fish in relationship threads. I am where I am today thanks to the wonders of trout. :(
2005-01-10, 9:10 PM #20
I actually visit the World of Warcraft forums more than Massassi now.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-01-10, 9:13 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon

indeed. i had to get someone to catch me up on what was going on
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2005-01-10, 9:14 PM #22
Good cod, what are you talking about? I sat here going "what the halibut" but noo, you just let yourself
trout. I mean, these forums do get occasionaly violent, sometimes downright cory, but that's no reason to crab hold of someone and force your opinions down their throats. Doing that is like sticking a knife in the shark. Trust me, no one here is trying to a-pacu.
Ma tana ka aha...
2005-01-10, 9:22 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie06
Lately, there seems to be an influx of anit-massassi posts and threads and a whole lot of attack-type posts/threads.

It's not so much happening lately, and more that it's that "time of the year" again. The boards tend to go through phases, you probably haven't noticed as I don't think you have been here regularly for long periods. DSetthar posted a similar announcement to the one Brian just made a few months ago.

Basically, every few months, a large part of the community inexplicably decide to put their cranky pants on at the same time. Snippiness and flaming ensues, countered by threats of banning. We have some people make threads similar to yours and then we all go back to being chummy again.

Personally I think we need more moderators and less tolerance for obnoxious posts since the admins already have a hard enough job keeping the site running.
2005-01-10, 9:28 PM #24
But the ebb and flow of the forums is what makes them interesting!
Warhead[97]
2005-01-10, 9:33 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Run

Basically, every few months, a large part of the community inexplicably decide to put their cranky pants on at the same time. Snippiness and flaming ensues, countered by threats of banning. We have some people make threads similar to yours and then we all go back to being chummy again.

Cranky TROUSERS. Jerk.
2005-01-10, 9:36 PM #26
Massassi is no different than it ever was, at least as long as I've been around. Like a few people have said before, it's just a phase that we've been through before. It will pass.

On a side note, people just need to chill out. I mean are, some of you this uptight in your actual real-world lives?
Pissed Off?
2005-01-10, 9:37 PM #27
Looks like Massassi's bi-annual PMS.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-10, 9:40 PM #28
Avenger, you have to realize that the population of dumbasses you see in the street who tuck their pants into their socks have begun to invade Massassi, and they don't stand for anyone "getting all up in their business"
2005-01-10, 9:44 PM #29
Avenger, I have no reservations in saying that the supposed uptightness of the forums recently is entirely constructed inside your own head. Unless of course you can describe howso.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-10, 9:44 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle
No, this is the problem. People who over react without comprehension. It was an obvious joke. SAJN said the forums should die so we have free time. Phoenix made a suggestion as to what to do with said free time. This is actually fun, harmless joking. Don't read so far into it.

Thanks for making that clear. I wasn't aware it needed clarity. ;)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-10, 9:47 PM #31
Sad but true, phoenix

Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Avenger, I have no reservations in saying that the supposed uptightness of the forums recently is entirely constructed inside your own head. Unless of course you can describe howso.

It's more in the way people react to what others say about them. Taking things so persoanlly and such. Also, some people's inability to get what's a joke or sarcasm and what isn't.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-10, 9:51 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
Cranky TROUSERS. Jerk.

*insert obnoxious retort*

[http://img4.exs.cx/img4/8854/flame7dd.th.jpg]
2005-01-10, 9:57 PM #33
I agree with those that have said that it is simply a phase. It will pass. In the meantime, let's chill like villians.
2005-01-10, 9:57 PM #34
<3
2005-01-10, 9:59 PM #35
i dont think that the forums are any different than the day i came... 4 years ago.

it's time for the forum members annual chill pill.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-01-10, 10:13 PM #36
Quote:
Now, TACC is all but dead and this place has actually taken a little bit bigger place in my heart.

[/B]

Sad but true. this is coming from another former TACCer.
2005-01-10, 10:14 PM #37
I came to this site after the jedi knight file archive (or something like that) closed down.

I eventualy registere on the file comment system.

Later I joined the forums. (I had to wait a few days as I tried to join during the last few days of the registration being closed.

Also, I think the policy brian has just implemented will make this place much happier.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-01-10, 10:24 PM #38
Massassi was so much better during JK's prime...man those were the days. Nowadays there is nothing to bring us together...heck nobody even edits JO or JA (much)...the showcase forum is getting empty and all it is is artwork (not that that's bad at all). I miss the days when there was a new SotD everyday (and it actually meant something) and the showcase was always packed to the brim with awesome JK stuff... I think some of the greatest days were the monthes after 16-bit mats came out and everybody was doing amazing stuff..

Oh well its still a good discussion forum...

One thing I've really noticed though is that debates are sparse now...why? People *****, moan, and whine everytime a debate springs up and act like debates are annoying arguments or something. Massassi used to be all debates...quite frankly those are the only threads that really interest me. The rest are just stupid filler and not really discussions at all. (What is your favorite... threads come to mind)
2005-01-10, 10:27 PM #39
The elimination of the religious debate forum signaled the end of a great era :(
2005-01-10, 10:54 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
Massassi was so much better during JK's prime...man those were the days. Nowadays there is nothing to bring us together...heck nobody even edits JO or JA (much)...the showcase forum is getting empty and all it is is artwork (not that that's bad at all). I miss the days when there was a new SotD everyday (and it actually meant something) and the showcase was always packed to the brim with awesome JK stuff... I think some of the greatest days were the monthes after 16-bit mats came out and everybody was doing amazing stuff..

Oh well its still a good discussion forum...

One thing I've really noticed though is that debates are sparse now...why? People *****, moan, and whine everytime a debate springs up and act like debates are annoying arguments or something. Massassi used to be all debates...quite frankly those are the only threads that really interest me. The rest are just stupid filler and not really discussions at all. (What is your favorite... threads come to mind)

Amen.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!