Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I guess we aren't the only weird ones...
I guess we aren't the only weird ones...
2005-01-11, 10:32 AM #1
http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,66225,00.html

Ever gotten the urge to quicksave in real life? Well, apparently there are other people out there that do stuff like that...
Stuff
2005-01-11, 10:41 AM #2
Even in my line of work, I've never gotten that into a game. I've had points in time where I've been too busy thinking about something game related that I've blocked out pretty much everything else, but I've not made any connection like that.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-01-11, 10:41 AM #3
That wasn't a very convincing article, really.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-11, 10:59 AM #4
MMORPG boxes already come with a seperation of real life and fantasy life warning right on the back. I wouldn't be surprised if it became a ESRB requirements to remind gamers that video games and real life are not the same.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
2005-01-11, 11:16 AM #5
Sounded like the entire thing was a really lame joke.

Kozy Kitchens.

Grabbing the steering wheel to 'pick up' a mailbox? Come on, even if it is true that woman should be shot for playing a game so stupid.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-11, 11:22 AM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by kyle90:
Ever gotten the urge to quicksave in real life?

Yes, I have. :o
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2005-01-11, 11:32 AM #7
Whenever I see pedestrians crossing the street, I work out how many points that combo would be worth.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-11, 11:43 AM #8
Not a convincing article, but I apparently was the millionth visitor to the site several times in a row. I've won a Cancun vacation and money towards a trip to Disneyland so far. I'm going to keep going and see what else I can rack up.
Life is beautiful.
2005-01-11, 12:21 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Leader
Not a convincing article, but I apparently was the millionth visitor to the site several times in a row. I've won a Cancun vacation and money towards a trip to Disneyland so far. I'm going to keep going and see what else I can rack up.

You still use Internet Explorer?
MithShrike: First Mateneer
Pimpin' Yerba Mate Drinker
2005-01-11, 12:24 PM #10
I get bad framerate in real life :(
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-11, 12:40 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
I get bad framerate in real life :(

Apparently, your hardware is lacking. :p
2005-01-11, 12:49 PM #12
... When you start acting like that, its better that you stop playing games altogether. Your just not mentally capable.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-11, 12:55 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
... When you start acting like that, its better that you stop playing games altogether. Your just not mentally capable.

not really. After you ploay a game, you develop a short-term habit towards doing stuff in the game, and that carrys over into the real world. You just have to realize you aren't playing a game anymore and you suddenly snap out of it.

If you are unable to snap out of it, now THAT is a cause for concern.
2005-01-11, 12:55 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by gothicX
Apparently, your hardware is lacking. :p

Nah, I just look at curves too much

*wink*
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-11, 12:57 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
not really. After you ploay a game, you develop a short-term habit towards doing stuff in the game, and that carrys over into the real world. You just have to realize you aren't playing a game anymore and you suddenly snap out of it.

That's really true. My headphones are reversed in some games (mainly counterstrike). And because of this, when someone who's on my left is talking to me, I instinctively look right, and vice versa.
2005-01-11, 1:10 PM #16
If I play too much GTA3 or any of said games sequels, I get a little paranoid when I'm driving, especailly when it's dark. I keep thinking I see police cars everywhere.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-11, 1:32 PM #17
I'm sure most people can instantly snap from playing a game, to real-life. I think the only problem I have is when I'm playing a game, I can get too engrossed - sometimes making a fool of myself to those I'm working around (Mind you, testing MortyrII multiplayer for 5 hours of overtime was hella fun, even though the game sucks)
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-01-11, 1:34 PM #18
When I was younger I used to pretend I was in a video game... but that's just cause I was teased so bad for being fat and I had to get away for a bit and think that I was important in my own little world.
2005-01-11, 1:36 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Revan
Yes, I have. :o

I've been drawing on a pad of paper, and my left hand instincivly went to ctrl z.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-11, 1:48 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Mith
You still use Internet Explorer?

It was on a school computer, so all they have is IE. At home I use Firefox. ;)
Life is beautiful.
2005-01-11, 2:45 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS

I have never felt like that.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-01-11, 2:53 PM #22
Meh, I've always wanted to save, and that way if I messed up, go back and reload.

Also a few times I've wanted to hit the TAB button for a map.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-11, 2:59 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane
I've been drawing on a pad of paper, and my left hand instincivly went to ctrl z.

I often find myself doing that :(

/me demands a real life ctrl-z machine.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-11, 3:06 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by kyle90
http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,66225,00.html

Ever gotten the urge to quicksave in real life? Well, apparently there are other people out there that do stuff like that...

Yes. :o
2005-01-11, 3:08 PM #25
after playing halo a few weeks ago, i had the urge to hit people in the back with weapons for instant kill
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-01-11, 3:23 PM #26
I've had quicksave syndrome, and I've also got an instinctiveness to look up a lot more (damn you, Half Life!) but for the most part, each side is detatched. Extremely unbalanced, but detatched.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-11, 5:25 PM #27
I've never really had a problem distinguishing between games and real life, there was only one time a few years ago when I thought about the what my framerate would be inside a certain building I was walking into.

But other than that one time, I usually snap out of a game the second I put the control down or step away from the mouse/keyboard.
2005-01-11, 5:33 PM #28
Recently, after playing way too much San Andreas, I found that whenever I closed my eyes, I could see anywhere from two to four stars in the upper-right corner of my vision.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-01-11, 5:34 PM #29
I always look for secret areas in real life now. There is a balcony on the student center here that I swear you could use to jump onto the roof. I keep getting the urge to check the roof for items.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-01-11, 5:36 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane
Recently, after playing way too much San Andreas, I found that whenever I closed my eyes, I could see anywhere from two to four stars in the upper-right corner of my vision.

that is what we call, a veryy nasty after image. to avoid that in the future, move your eyes around a bit while playing. this will stop those stars being burned into your retina.
2005-01-11, 5:37 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by alpha1
that is what we call, a veryy nasty after image. to avoid that in the future, move your eyes around a bit while playing. this will stop those stars being burned into your retina.

Either you're being sarcastic or you have no idea what you're talking about.

I seriously hope the former.
D E A T H
2005-01-11, 5:42 PM #32
yoshi, go and stare at a scene that is extremely still, try not to let your eyes change direction, after about ten minutes, close your eyes. you will probably see an after image.

As those stars are in place for almost the whole game, (except for the cutscenes I assume), there is a possibility that staring at the screen for too long may cause a temporary after image.

Or it could even be some sort of mental after image.

also, didn't you put me on your ignore list and rant to someone else to put people that flame them on their own ignore list. the hypocritical pat is that you said you would ignore my posts but still don't.
2005-01-11, 5:50 PM #33
alpha, he'd have to be staring at the stars and just the stars for that to happen. While I know what you're talking about, itreally doesn't apply in this case, unless Michael is just wierd.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-11, 5:53 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
alpha, he'd have to be staring at the stars and just the stars for that to happen. While I know what you're talking about, itreally doesn't apply in this case, unless Michael is just wierd.

You mean you've never had the afterimage of a light bulb off to the side of your vision?
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-01-11, 5:59 PM #35
There's a difference. Light bulbs are really, really bright. A TV is not so bright. There's literally almost no way you could get that image burned into your retina, and it'd show up more than when you just close your eyes, not to mention, other stuff would show up with it.

And alpha--this is neither the thread, nor the time to start flamebaiting me. Do it again and I'll notify the admins, make sure they do their job. Got it?
D E A T H
2005-01-11, 6:12 PM #36
the burned iinto the retina part was an over statement.

I can understand people not seeing sarcasm. but mnost people with a vauge sense of logic could work out if something is just an overstatement to get a point across.

unless of course, they have said (unfairly) the person doesn't know what they are talking about so many times that they actualy belive it themselves and just assume the post is incoherant.

Disclaimer

I am not pointing any fingers and some of this is overstated (not much though) and is also partly venting at the treatment I sometimes get on the chat page.
2005-01-11, 6:28 PM #37
If it was an overstatement, why did you defend it instead of saying so in the first place? Like I said, now is neither the thread nor the time for a bait, so quit it.
D E A T H
2005-01-11, 6:32 PM #38
I thought most people would relalise that there was an understatement.

It still stands that it could be an after image though.

so do youreself a favour, if you don't want to risk me baiting you, don't read my posts and you will not worry about me getting annoyed after you critisise it.
2005-01-11, 6:57 PM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki
after playing halo a few weeks ago, i had the urge to hit people in the back with weapons for instant kill

I've done that. And after beating Halo 2, for about a day and a half, everytime I saw a rather large person, I kept expecting them to charge me like a Brute.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-11, 7:30 PM #40
I have no clue what any of you are talking about. The only time I ever do anything similar to this, is when I pick up an item and want to model it so badly that I can see the milkshape rendering of the item instead of the item, or when I see a building and want to JED it.

But I can EASILY distinguish between gameplay and real life. Anyone who can't, needs to test their mental capacity for holes.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!