Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3 -- meh... Anyone wanna trade?
Doom 3 -- meh... Anyone wanna trade?
2005-01-12, 7:14 AM #1
Ya, it's really impressive, and really scary, which isn't entertaining to me. So if anyone wants to trade, list games here that you'd like to trade for it.

A few I'm looking for (all PC):

Vice City
Quake 1 with both mission packs
NFS: Underground 2
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2005-01-12, 8:08 AM #2
I have Vice city and Quake 1, but I already have doom3. Sorry....
2005-01-12, 8:33 AM #3
If this was a copy of HL2 I might have said yes...
2005-01-12, 8:49 AM #4
i have quake 2, halflife, gta3, jedi outcast, quake 3 and screamer (a reallllllllllly old racing game).

want any of these?:D
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-12, 10:03 AM #5
heh.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-12, 10:28 AM #6
Boring, I'll trade my copy, too!
2005-01-12, 1:22 PM #7
I'm thinking about starting up playing doom 3 again. It was a really nicely made very polished (no pun intended) game.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-12, 1:52 PM #8
Brian, you hate the game so much you should just burn it and post the pics.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2005-01-12, 2:25 PM #9
why would you want to sell doom 3 when the new expansion pack Resurrection of Evil is going to be coming out sometime soon
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-12, 3:46 PM #10
i have... uh... some old saturn games, and broken logitech pedals (the plug is missing from the cable)

that's about all i'm looking to get rid of
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-12, 3:50 PM #11
ah. Doom "Well the 10% I can see looks very pretty" 3. I diddnt like it either. Overrated, Painkiller is about a million times better imo.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-12, 4:18 PM #12
I love how people berate the Doom 3 engine, half the time knowing nothing about what they're saying.

"LOL WHY IS IT SO DARK WTF WHY WOULD A HORROR GAME BE DARK LOLOLZ" <---dolt

Resurrection is coming out soon, keep it, trust me. The mod SHOULD be fairly cool.
D E A T H
2005-01-12, 5:04 PM #13
Expansion will be brighter and more action oriented.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-12, 5:09 PM #14
This is all I have to say to those people who say Doom 3's engine sucks

http://www.pcgamemods.com/9397/

enjoy.
2005-01-12, 5:23 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Stinkywrix

enjoy.

Wow. That's just... Wow.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-12, 6:51 PM #16
Not to mention vehicle physics, other lighting effects that are yet to be added by Carmack himself or haven't yet been employed, so much that today's hardware is limited to. Give it a couple years though. That's how it is with id engines.
D E A T H
2005-01-12, 6:56 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
I love how people berate the Doom 3 engine, half the time knowing nothing about what they're saying.

Indeed. The darkness of the game is great. Now, the shiny textures really bothered me, seeing as I'm only using DX8 rendering, so I just turn them off and it looks much better.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-12, 7:01 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
Indeed. The darkness of the game is great. Now, the shiny textures really bothered me, seeing as I'm only using DX8 rendering, so I just turn them off and it looks much better.

It looked decent on my Ti4400...but I'll admit, it looks about 10x better on the 6800GT
D E A T H
2005-01-12, 8:20 PM #19
Pretty, it's a shame soft shadows aren't there (or haven't been implemented yet).
2005-01-12, 8:21 PM #20
If that had softshadows, nobody could run the damn game.
D E A T H
2005-01-12, 8:26 PM #21
As an engine I have no problems with it. But I found the game itself to be overrated. I've gone into why quite a few times before.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-12, 8:38 PM #22
Quote:

Err, Doom 3 WAS way way way way to dark. Darkness doesn't make a horror game. In this case it ruined it. The total Darkness combined with the lame scripted A.I. ruined it. I know HL2 used some form of scripted A.I. as well but HL2 isn't a horror game. After the first enemy or two you knew the entire game. Because the game plays the same. Something pops out of a wall or under some stairs..over and over...You shoot them, they disenigrate, repeat. The game wasn't scary at all, and it was pitch black. It just ruined it. That and they shiney blah blah that made the game look like it was textured in MSpaint, then taken into PS to add the plastic filter to it. But the crappy looking game doesn't matter as much to me as the crappy gameplay did. They brag about their lighting engine, but the flashlight was bullcrap. If I turn on a very crappy flashlight in my room you can see the ENTIRE ROOM. Not very bright, but you can see it all, and make your way around fine. In Doom 3 the light allowed you to see about 3 feet infront of you! Was that too make my experience more scary? Failed. It just made the game more annoying. System Shock 2 was scary as hell and it wasn't pitch black. Far Cry even managed to make me jump at some parts..I mean come on...

Doom 3. Too dark. Not scary. Overrated. Poop. <-- My 2 cents.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-12, 8:46 PM #23
there are lots of doom3 flashlight mods.
2005-01-12, 8:58 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
Err, Doom 3 WAS way way way way to dark. Darkness doesn't make a horror game. In this case it ruined it. The total Darkness combined with the lame scripted A.I. ruined it. I know HL2 used some form of scripted A.I. as well but HL2 isn't a horror game. After the first enemy or two you knew the entire game. Because the game plays the same. Something pops out of a wall or under some stairs..over and over...You shoot them, they disenigrate, repeat. The game wasn't scary at all, and it was pitch black. It just ruined it. That and they shiney blah blah that made the game look like it was textured in MSpaint, then taken into PS to add the plastic filter to it. But the crappy looking game doesn't matter as much to me as the crappy gameplay did. They brag about their lighting engine, but the flashlight was bullcrap. If I turn on a very crappy flashlight in my room you can see the ENTIRE ROOM. Not very bright, but you can see it all, and make your way around fine. In Doom 3 the light allowed you to see about 3 feet infront of you! Was that too make my experience more scary? Failed. It just made the game more annoying. System Shock 2 was scary as hell and it wasn't pitch black. Far Cry even managed to make me jump at some parts..I mean come on...

You see, this is why we have opinions. On that note.
D E A T H
2005-01-12, 9:00 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
You see, this is why we have opinions. On that note. [yoshipic]

That sir, is putting my picture to good use.

<3
2005-01-12, 10:50 PM #26
doom 3 was the best flashlight simulator i've ever played

that's about it
Moo.
2005-01-13, 5:10 AM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master

QFT. The darkness ruined the litte gameplay there was because of the damn flashlight switching nonsense. The gameplay was identical too doom1 and 2, go into room kill bad guys, find key go into next area, repeat. Except this time you couldnt see what you are doing.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-13, 8:25 AM #28
Personally I think the darkness ruined it.
2005-01-13, 9:34 AM #29
Why is it every topic I start has to go way off track onto a tangent?
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2005-01-13, 9:40 AM #30
Because we all hate you it's about Doom 3.
2005-01-13, 11:42 AM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Tazz
Why is it every topic I start has to go way off track onto a tangent?

Because the topics are to simple to sustian ontopic conversation. Asking people if they want to trade something can only really sustain 3 or 4 posts then it turns into spam cause people honestly don't know what to tell you.
2005-01-13, 11:48 AM #32
Doom 3 wasa decent game. Personally I haven't even got around to beating it yet beause it's just simply not that good IMO. You can tell when I like a game because I beat it like three times in a single day (as was the case with HL2). I got stuck in this place in Doom3 (as in I couldn't even figure out where to go next) and after going around in circles for an hour I decided to shelf the game. It's not worth going through the headache of being lost for sucha subpar game, hence I have not yet finished it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-13, 11:49 AM #33
Oh come on guys! That game was not that bad!

It was actually pretty good.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-13, 1:47 PM #34
In fact, I'm playing it for the first time still. Great freaking game. Communications transfer right now. The stupid zombie that pops out of the wall while you're on the lift get's me mad. Got me so jumpy that I jumped into the lift's track, thus zapping myself to -90

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-13, 2:30 PM #35
Yeah, its the type of game you really only want to play once then not play it again.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-13, 2:34 PM #36
My friend is playing it for the third time and he still loves it. There are quite a bit of optional things in that game.

Plus nightmare mode.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-13, 2:36 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Stinkywrix

enjoy.

I really don't see anything special at all. Stencil shadows are nothing new. It was done before Doom 3.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-13, 9:08 PM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
I really don't see anything special at all. Stencil shadows are nothing new. It was done before Doom 3.

They aren't stencil shadows though, are they?
2005-01-14, 9:44 AM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
If this was a copy of HL2 I might have said yes...

Why? It would've been completely useless to you after the CD key is registered.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-01-14, 10:25 AM #40
At least I'm not the only person who liked Doom 3.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.

↑ Up to the top!