Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Best and worst brands of beer
Best and worst brands of beer
2005-01-13, 6:44 PM #1
I need to know what to drink and what to avoid in these modern times.

help me out, please!
2005-01-13, 6:47 PM #2
Well, what we like you could dis-like. A rule of thumb though, if its dirt cheap, theres a reason. ;)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-13, 6:48 PM #3
Well, Just give me a few pointers on stuff I should try.

Then, post what you think is best and worst.
2005-01-13, 6:51 PM #4
I hear Sam Adams is very good.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-13, 6:52 PM #5
sleemans clear is really good. it's a micro brew but it's considered a premium beer so it's a bit more expensive.

http://www.sleeman.com/en/html/beer/sl_brands/clear/index.htm
2005-01-13, 6:52 PM #6
Quite a lot of the European lagers are pretty good; Heineken, Stella Artois, Carlsberg etc.

I'm not a fan of British lagers like Tennants or Carling, but some of the "proper" beers (Caledonian, Belhaven) are ok.
2005-01-13, 6:52 PM #7
Bud. Is. Wiser.

Bottles.
2005-01-13, 6:54 PM #8
Canadians know good beer.

Hoegarden, Boddington, Labatt Blue, Molson Canadian or Ex, Rickard's Honey Brown and Red, Miller Genuine Draft, and Leffe, to name a few.

Stay away from cheap beers, they're usually pretty lousy.
2005-01-13, 6:54 PM #9
Good: Stone Brewery, specifically Arrogant B*stard Ale. Most of the good beers are local joints here in San Diego County. Like for instance there is a place, San Marcos Brewery that makes are most kickass amber ale...mmmmm.

Bad: Most macrobreweries (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.) Samuel Adams is an exception.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-13, 6:54 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Evad
sleemans clear is really good.

YES.

And as Haggis said, Stella Artois is delicious.
2005-01-13, 7:28 PM #11
I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to alcoholic beverages... I prefer sweetened drinks such as Smirnoff Ice, and Smirnoff Raspberry Twist.
2005-01-13, 7:32 PM #12
Zwyiec. It's from Poland, and it owns hardcore. Bit pricey because it's an import, but definitely among the best. Avoid Tuborg like the plague, it's like drinking water filtered through a skunk's ***.
2005-01-13, 7:39 PM #13
I'm poor. I drink Mickey's forties exclusively. Seriously, my g/f and I have a tremendous monument called the "Wall of green-white-trashness". It's glorious;)
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-13, 7:43 PM #14
If you wanna try some Aussie beers, look for James Boags, Cascade, or Crown Lager. Unfortunately, most of the stuff we export is pure crap.

Oh, and American beer is watered-down pigs urine in a bottle.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-13, 7:45 PM #15
Not true. Sometimes they come in cans...
Twenty-Eight Days, Six Hours, Forty-Two Minutes, Twelve seconds...
2005-01-13, 7:47 PM #16
I think we need to call an expert... Ruthy, get in here now!!!
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-13, 7:54 PM #17
HEK. 6.2% goodness. love it.

Corona, good but weak. drink it like water.

Black Label/Molson Dry/Bleue, can't go wrong with those, standard beers.

Budweiser, good if you want to **** your intestines out for a week.

Grolsch, cheap version of heineken, stay away.

and all the other good beers are quebec only. so you get ***** and we drink the good stuff.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2005-01-13, 8:05 PM #18
I havn't really had that much beer. I'm 17 so drinking is sort of a no-no, and when I do have a beer, its usuallly warm or something. I have to say I really am not to fond of Corona or Heiniken. I really like Budweiser and Molson though. I don't know why, but those are the only beers I really enjoy drinking.

I'm not old enough to participate in this conversation.
former entrepreneur
2005-01-13, 8:12 PM #19
Whenever I go to parties around campus and the beer is Natural Light...I refuse to drink it. God I hate Natural Light.
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2005-01-13, 8:19 PM #20
Elsinore beer is really good. I recommend you try it sometime. :)
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-13, 8:30 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by R_ivi_N
Whenever I go to parties around campus and the beer is Natural Light...I refuse to drink it. God I hate Natural Light.

Are you crazy? Natural light may not be the greatest beer, but it is definently an aquired taste I guess. It is poor/college man's beer. I can drink Natty and be fine.

Avoid Miller High Life...yuck. Coors is pretty good, but I can definently chill with Bud Light. Not a fan of budwiser.

OH Abita Amber....yuumm..only dark beer I like.

Oh and Canadian beer is better then American beer. I love Canadian beer.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-13, 10:03 PM #22
You people who think Budwiser or MGD are good beers are just . . . wow. I mean if you like them, that's fine, but there are much, much better beers out there.

Red Hook Amber Ale
Fat Tire
Newcastle Brown Ale
Sam Adams
Pyramid Heffewiesen
Guinness or Murphy's
Corona

Still, if you want good beer, check out your local brewery and see what they have on tap. There are three or four here that make their own beer and it's damn good stuff.

Stay away from the Natty Ice and Pabst Blue Ribbon. That's high school kegger crap.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-14, 8:02 AM #23
Spork, I've heard the Fosters we export is basically what is sold as Crown Lager here, and the Fosters sold here is just the dregs of the bottom of the Crownies.

Chances are you might never encounter any of these beers, but what the hey. Don't drink Emu Export unless you're in an Australian suburb that begins with B, ie Balga, Balcatta, Booragoon. It tastes like rat's piss, but it's a major respect++ in dodgey suburbs.

Emu Bitter and Redback are the best out of a jug over here, not so good from a stubby/longneck.

On the whole, go Swan Draught for the best jug/stubby/can beer.

Anyone had Melbourne Bitter? It seems to be VB's dodgey cousin. I need to try some Toohey's sometime.
2005-01-14, 8:11 AM #24
Absolutely nothing american.

Otherwise it just has to be cold for me. Meh, beers.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-14, 8:30 AM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Trige
Elsinore beer is really good. I recommend you try it sometime. :)
Especially if your a dog with a cape and going to Octoberfest
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-01-14, 8:37 AM #26
It's Oktoberfest, Genk.

And for me? I particularly like Grolsch and Fosters and Stella is OK, but stay away from, e.g. "Asda's Own Generic Brand".
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-14, 8:50 AM #27
Heineken is an insult to sewer water.

Dommelsch is über, as well as Hertog Jan.
2005-01-14, 8:51 AM #28
Red Stripe, Abita Purple Haze and Harp's (think light Guinness) are some of the better I've had. I like most wheat beers as well - they have sort of a meaty taste to them.

I stick clear of Natty Light (shut up ubuu, fermented piss is not an acquired taste), but most other lights aren't terrible.

As for the "American beer = water" bandwagon people, while that may be true of the macrobrews we export, there are plenty of decent alternatives. Sam Adams, Yuengling, Abita, the list goes on. Take your pick.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-01-14, 9:14 AM #29
Worst beer? Keystone Light?

"30 stones for 12 bones."
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-14, 9:26 AM #30
Here's my top (insert # here) list:

1. Guinness
2. Boddington's (I heard they were shutting down, but not sure)
3. Paulaner
4. Warsteiner
5. Honey Brown
6. Swee****er Blue (Atlanta Brewery, not sure if you can get it) [haha, the **** is supposed to be water with a t in front of it]
7. Strongbow
8. Rogue (comes in a couple varieties, I've found it most often at import markets)
9. Bass (pretty much anything you mix with Guinness is good)
10. Harp's
11. Edison
12. PBR (good poor man's beer)

Stay away from Bud/Miller/Corona. Pretty much any beer that has TOO much advertising I've found is usually pretty awful, except Guinness. So... basically any beer you usually see people drinking on the beach isnt worth drinking, or bringing to the beach.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-14, 9:28 AM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomen

As for the "American beer = water" bandwagon people, while that may be true of the macrobrews we export, there are plenty of decent alternatives. Sam Adams, Yuengling, Abita, the list goes on. Take your pick.

This is true as well, usually the microbrews are the best American beers.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-14, 9:30 AM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomen

As for the "American beer = water"

But water's good. :rolleyes:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-14, 10:17 AM #33
Ricker's Red.
Alexander Keiths

Nothing but these two enter my beer trap, though I have been known to drink large amounts of Heineken.
2005-01-14, 10:25 AM #34
no no no boddingtons are just movin out of manchester and into wales, god damn interbrew
2005-01-14, 10:27 AM #35
Newcastle Brown Ale
Guiness Extra Cold
2005-01-14, 10:35 AM #36
Corona is good when it's cold and you use a lime.

I drink to get drunk, not to piss all night. Real men drink liquor. Straight.

I've found that as crappy as a beer may taste in bottle or can form, it usually tastes significantly better from the tap. I hate the taste of beer, it usually makes me want to vomit with each drink I take but when I have a pint from the tap it's tolerable.

Like I said. Liquor.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2005-01-14, 11:46 AM #37
I generally don't like lagers, so this'll be a relatively short post.

Velkopopovicky Kozel is good. Especially the Kozel - Dark brand. It's from Czechoslovakia. If the name's too hard to remember or pronounce when inebriated, just ask for "Velko", it gets the message through.

I haven't tasted much British stuff. Strongbow, as mentioned, is rather good. Blackthorne is ale, but I kinda like it. Same for Cumberland Cream Ale. Guinness is good from the tap.

Belgium has Stella Artois and Orval. Luxembourg has Bofferding!
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-01-14, 11:55 AM #38
Good Beers:

Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Beer. Comes from a brewery in Kansas City. Very good.
Killians Irish Red
Michelob Honey Lager

Wait, wait! I got a link:
http://www.mylifeisbeer.com/beer/bottles/bottlesbybrewery.php
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-14, 12:15 PM #39
umm... Strongbow and Blackthorne are ciders...
2005-01-14, 12:21 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by Zuljin
Corona is good when it's cold and you use a lime.

I drink to get drunk, not to piss all night. Real men drink liquor. Straight.

I've found that as crappy as a beer may taste in bottle or can form, it usually tastes significantly better from the tap. I hate the taste of beer, it usually makes me want to vomit with each drink I take but when I have a pint from the tap it's tolerable.

Like I said. Liquor.

I agree ...

I used to drink alot of beer but lately I am always going with liquor...usually tangeray gin, or weisers deluxe whisky

↑ Up to the top!