Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Regarding the recent banning spree...
Regarding the recent banning spree...
2005-01-16, 9:47 AM #1
I can't really approve of how easy it has become to be banned around here. Granted, it is a short-term ban, but is it really necessary to be so strict? Stuff that wouldn't have turned heads a few weeks ago is now a cause to be banned.

I know of other boards that are really anal about rules, and use a warning system for every little infraction (10 warnings and you are perma-banned). I keep coming to Massassi b/c it is pretty lenient with rules compared to other places, I would hate to see that change.

Now, I'm in favour of banning trolls, dedicated troublemakers, etc. but the most recent bannings have been regulars that have merely gotten a little overzealous on their points. I don't feel that that is justified.

Just my $.02.....
2005-01-16, 9:52 AM #2
I single day ban is nothing to really complain about.
2005-01-16, 9:56 AM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
I single day ban is nothing to really complain about.

maybe not, but is it necessary to keep the banned names on public display?
2005-01-16, 9:58 AM #4
Well there is two lines of thought on this.

1) Banning is a private matter to be between admins and the people getting banned. Due to the fact that we can't post about our problems with admins.

2) Like medevil times posting the heads of evil doers on poles invoked fear in those who were thinking about it. The same applies.
2005-01-16, 10:06 AM #5
There is an announcement on top, but I guess people want to push their limits
2005-01-16, 10:10 AM #6
I think the public 'ban list' is a fantastic idea. It dispells any uncertainty, there's no "oh no, is X banned or is X not banned why is X banned and for how long?!" type discussion, and more importantly it forms an excellent source of gossip.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-16, 10:12 AM #7
Public display of bans is a great idea.
2005-01-16, 10:19 AM #8
Quote:
<~GoY> If it wouldn't mean corrupting my "BAA"count, I'd reply to Pagewizard with, "We're only publishing the names until someone invents a device that allows flogging over the internet"

<3 GoY

2005-01-16, 10:20 AM #9
The ban list is a great idea, but people are getting banned for really minor stuff, seems like it's just an excuse for admins to ban people they've had their eyes on for a while. A little bit more consistency would be appreciated.

I don't really mind the banning spree in itself, seeing as it's pretty much just for personal attacks... but I've always thought Massassi has been pretty strict about sex/drugs/swearing discussions.
2005-01-16, 10:28 AM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
I think the public 'ban list' is a fantastic idea. It dispells any uncertainty, there's no "oh no, is X banned or is X not banned why is X banned and for how long?!" type discussion, and more importantly it forms an excellent source of gossip.

Agreed. That's my favorite thread!
2005-01-16, 10:38 AM #11
I hate the ban lists. It's led me to post in fear of a banning, I can't actually enjoy myself here anymore :(
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-01-16, 10:38 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Connection Problem
I don't really mind the banning spree in itself, seeing as it's pretty much just for personal attacks... but I've always thought Massassi has been pretty strict about sex/drugs/swearing discussions.

We've had lots of discussions about drugs, there's never been any problems with that. Considering this is a Star Wars forum, it's not surprising that 'sex' isn't a common topic of discussion. Swear filters are always silly, but it isn't really a problem. You can have some fun with asterixes.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-16, 10:43 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Oxyonagon
I hate the ban lists. It's led me to post in fear of a banning, I can't actually enjoy myself here anymore :(

You might be posting in fear but your enjoyment if it leads to you getting banned was making other people upset. You only get banned if you deserve it, get over it.
2005-01-16, 10:45 AM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
You can have some fun with asterixes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
This is a ****ing reply to that ******* of a ****less ****** *** Jaiph, who wouldnt ***** know ****ing **** if it ******* him on his ****.

Hey, Mort's right!

Now that I read it again, I still don't know what some of those *'s should be :confused: It's a game for the entire family!
2005-01-16, 10:57 AM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
You might be posting in fear but your enjoyment if it leads to you getting banned was making other people upset. You only get banned if you deserve it, get over it.

but I wonder, could an Admin be banned? ;)
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-01-16, 11:01 AM #16
Oh no, banned for a day! It's like the world is collapsing in on itself.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-16, 11:11 AM #17
Yeah, sheesh, these sissy two-day bans are really nothing. I got banned for two weeks during election time. ;) (And I almost died from lack of Massassi)

Anyway, if things get any more strict around here, I can't envision myself staying here much longer. I've had to tone down my usual self just to get by recently. :(
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-16, 11:39 AM #18
Meh. Only thing missing is a link to the post that got someone banned. You know... for gossiping purposes.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-16, 11:40 AM #19
:banned:

Bleh, make that work!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-16, 11:44 AM #20
The recent lack of Pagewizard is disturbing.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-01-16, 11:52 AM #21
O_o

It's only been a few hours.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-16, 11:56 AM #22
Customs and conventions come and go. I'd say this recent banning spree is only due to the whining threads and subsequent longing to the good old times. Gradually the admins will settle down once more, relax, and things will be back to normal.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-16, 11:58 AM #23
Name: Pagewizard_YKS
Date: Jan 16 2005
Reason for eviction:

Speaking truth. Banned forever.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-16, 12:06 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast
Name: Pagewizard_YKS
Date: Jan 16 2005
Reason for eviction:

Speaking truth. Banned forever.

Big Brian is watching you.

Seriously, the public list is a tad bit overboard. It's not like we want to chase people away from posting, and shrink our existing group as it is. And even with all the banning, people are still acting like pricks, jeeze...
2005-01-16, 12:14 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Kuat
Big Brian is watching you.

It's panopticon! He's not always watching, but he could be. So we have to act as if he is at all times.
2005-01-16, 12:16 PM #26
"I can't really approve of how easy it has become to be banned around here."

Keep things civil and mature and you have nothing to worry about. Unfortunetly, both of those are few and far between around here.

"is it necessary to keep the banned names on public display?"

I would say that it lets people know what is and is not acceptable so that you have no excuse if you get banned.

"I can't actually enjoy myself here anymore"

What about all the new people that come here looking to have a discussion or just say hey, only to be ridiculed by the veterans and have every topic they start overly criticized for no reason. Do you really think they enjoy themselves?

" It's not like we want to chase people away from posting"

That has been accomplished many times long before this public ban list came out. It's not the admins chasing people away.
2005-01-16, 12:18 PM #27
I really don't agree with DJ Yoshi being banned for what he got banned for.. the conversation DID get heated for a bit, but they each backed off, and it cooled down... then they got banned... that don't make any sense to me
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-01-16, 12:23 PM #28
Your points are valid Vash, but still, banning...

It's a community under an authority, not a country under dictatorship. Here is a place where we relax and all, and tempers do flare time to time, but usually we come to an amiable end. From what Sprial said, things did cool down, but people got banned anyway.

It kinda changes the enviroment here. We always were more strict than usual (and that I'm thankful for, look at some of penny arcade's forums), but this just taints the air.

Yea, yea, I know ALL of what I said has been said before, but whatever.
2005-01-16, 12:28 PM #29
You remind me of an ambulance.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Waaaaaaaaaaaah
2005-01-16, 12:32 PM #30
I love the idea of a public ban list. As said before, it reduces all wonder as to who got banned, and how long they are banned.

However, how strict everything is getting around here is becoming annoying. Yes, we should get back to a near PG rating, but it's becoming more like "TV Y." The majority of the community is not between 12-15 anymore; it's 16-21.

Yeah, 2 day bans aren't that big of a deal, so a lot of you argue that there's no point in getting upset. I suppose the inverse would be, if 2 day bans aren't that big of a deal, why are they implemented at all?
2005-01-16, 12:37 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
"I can't really approve of how easy it has become to be banned around here."

Keep things civil and mature and you have nothing to worry about. Unfortunetly, both of those are few and far between around here.

"is it necessary to keep the banned names on public display?"

I would say that it lets people know what is and is not acceptable so that you have no excuse if you get banned.

"I can't actually enjoy myself here anymore"

What about all the new people that come here looking to have a discussion or just say hey, only to be ridiculed by the veterans and have every topic they start overly criticized for no reason. Do you really think they enjoy themselves?

" It's not like we want to chase people away from posting"

That has been accomplished many times long before this public ban list came out. It's not the admins chasing people away.
I love you.

But seriously, people - newcomers were not feeling welcome. I'd rather lose a few old members than shut out new ones. Massassi was started as a place that would be friendly to beginners (at editing) that needed help - even if that help was just posting a link to where their question had been asked before instead of telling them what stupid morons they were for not using the search link.

I just want this to be a friendly, welcoming place. It got way out of hand with virtually every thread on the discussion forum being full of flames and insults. I figured this would be a really good way to stop them dead in their tracks. We've got only 4 bans, one of which is 100% justified and should be permanent, the rest are banned for between 1 and 2 days. That's not really a ban but more of a "time out."

People just need to take it easy and relax (hah hah coming from me!?). Seriously, though, when things calm down here in a few weeks and people tend to stop being rude and insulting, the admins can back off a little bit. But if things go crazy again we won't hesitate to step in again.
2005-01-16, 12:38 PM #32
Quote:
Yeah, 2 day bans aren't that big of a deal, so a lot of you argue that there's no point in getting upset. I suppose the inverse would be, if 2 day bans aren't that big of a deal, why are they implemented at all?

A 2 day ban isn't a subtle warning, it's a firm smack on the butt. Those offending are now publically marked. Their actions will be watched no less. They now know the reality of the newly implimented rules.

In the end, people would piss and moan if their first banning were after many warnings, and was a perma ban. This way, people can see what continuing this form of behavior is like.

I like the idea. I'm not doubting that one day I may end up there, but at least it'll be just, and generally less savere than it could be. I like this new system.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-16, 12:40 PM #33
Still, you've got an audience of people who just want to be themselves and will find it elsewhere -- on virtually every other forum on the internet. Sure, you tout the "new members feeling welcome" thing, but you never pay attention to the other side; the people smothered by such a strict atmosphere. You tell us to chill out - you're the one who needs to chill out!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-16, 12:41 PM #34
Can we sew a big "B" on their chest for banned?

It'd be like that crappy boring novel from highschool, only nerdier.
2005-01-16, 12:45 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
You remind me of an ambulance.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Waaaaaaaaaaaah

You know Rob, there is a sense of irony to your post. Mainly the type of sheer obnoxious comment people get banned for. Ah, if only someone would act on this parcel of irony, that would be high-larious.

Hell, Brian himself said that "I'm sick of reading people's back-handed, insulting, and rude comments. " Which fits that statement to the tee.

Comon, gods of irony, act quickly!
2005-01-16, 12:57 PM #36
Doubtful.

It's not like the people are here are THAT sensitive. That's not even insulting, thats poking a bit of fun, which has always been allowed here.
2005-01-16, 1:04 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Doubtful.

It's not like the people are here are THAT sensitive. That's not even insulting, thats poking a bit of fun, which has always been allowed here.

I can SMELL your fear.

Remember: Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. So fear away, muwhahahaha!
2005-01-16, 1:06 PM #38
I love this new zero tolerance policy. It'll probably catch me out sooner or later, though...
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2005-01-16, 1:06 PM #39
^ An example of a person who needs to chill out. (damn acharjay ruined my post. Thanks a lot)
2005-01-16, 1:07 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Can we sew a big "B" on their chest for banned?

It'd be like that crappy boring novel from highschool, only nerdier.

eh hehe
yay for not posting much ever

↑ Up to the top!