Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Deathmatch etiquette?
Deathmatch etiquette?
2005-01-17, 5:42 PM #1
Now, I consider myself to be a pretty decent HL2DM player. I usually take the top spot, or pretty close. However, something has been bothering me. I tend to be the type of player that shoots at anything he sees. Regardless if two people are already engaging each other, I start firing as soon as I see movement. I tend to be a very aggresive player, and die almost as much as I kill.

I haven't really played any multiplayer games after Jedi Knight until HL2DM. I just want the community's opinion about etiquette. Should I tone down my play a little and allow two people to finish their duel before engaging? Or is it considered acceptable to fire at anything and everything I see? If I respawn in the middle of a fight, there isn't much I can do, but otherwise?

And we need to set up a Massassi HL2DM tourney:
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-17, 5:52 PM #2
You don't need to tone down anything.

And I can host it, I have an HL2DM server.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-17, 5:58 PM #3
I seen nothing wrong with the way you play, I play pretty much the same way my self in HL2:DM

Unless ofcourse an Admin or Most of the players in that server want to do some thing other then Pure DM..
2005-01-17, 6:00 PM #4
Shiner and essquared are both really, really good. :eek:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-17, 6:00 PM #5
Just fight, steal kills, do whatever it takes to get the top spot. If you can't beat the 2nd best player in 1 on 1, try and steal all his kills. Anything goes unless the server has some specific rules in it's join message.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-17, 6:02 PM #6
yeah, I got kind of worried halfway through when I was 20 kills behind essquared. Towards the end, I was up by as much as 11 kills, and then we were racing till the end. If I had 20 more seconds and made it around the corner, I could've tied. :D
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-17, 6:05 PM #7
If it's straight DM, there's nopthing wrong with what you're doing. That's what DM is all about.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-17, 6:07 PM #8
Alright, thanks guys. I was just worried that kill-stealing might make me some enemies. But then, nobody ever says anything in-game, so I've been letting it go. Glad to know I'm not doing anything a Massassian wouldn't do. ;)
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-17, 6:08 PM #9
The only genre I'm aware of that will get people pissed at you for kill-stealing is MMORPG.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-17, 6:13 PM #10
I play the exact same way as you. Intense, aggressive, usually 1:.8 kill/death ration, but I don't mind so much as I'm usually in the top 5 on a server.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-17, 6:15 PM #11
Ignore how many times you get killed, it's irrelevant in DM, how many kills you make are all that matter :p

This is why it's essential to always be a master of the starting weaponry.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-17, 6:17 PM #12
If you're playing a team game sometimes people can get a little pissed when you steal their kills. Sometimes it's best to wait for them to get killed and then kill the enemy.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-17, 6:31 PM #13
What would annoy me about JO MP is that I would look for a server that allowed guns; most servers were sabers-only. Then when I'd use guns, people would complain about me being a "lame gunner". I naturally gave them a piece of my mind... politely, of course.
2005-01-17, 6:42 PM #14
People hate how I play...

ESPECIALLY on team DM.

I like the building level, cause you can pull all the stuff from the second level into the stair well, and throw everything on the top level down the stairwell.

Control the higher ground... the higher ground with the armor, health, AND the rocket launcher...

Another one of my favorite things to do is grab one of those file cabinets or metal desks, and crouch and walk forward with it with the manipulator..

Deflects MOST bullets.. and it gives me two options;

Throw it at them and kill them, or wait for them to reload and shoot them.

Before they nerfed the magnum, I used to be really ace at bringing down people like flys.
2005-01-17, 7:07 PM #15
Every game I'm about 100 and 30... I have about 300 or so of screenshots like this:

[http://img138.exs.cx/img138/4400/206576jz.jpg]

[http://img138.exs.cx/img138/9440/100266sj.jpg]

[http://img138.exs.cx/img138/3603/101310df.jpg]

Ric, I'm pretty sure I've played against you a few times. :cool:
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-17, 7:12 PM #16
It's a deathmatch not a bloody teaparty. KILL KILL KILL!
2005-01-17, 7:21 PM #17
Yeah, but go into a JA FFA server and say that. :p
2005-01-17, 7:25 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
People hate how I play...

ESPECIALLY on team DM.

I like the building level, cause you can pull all the stuff from the second level into the stair well, and throw everything on the top level down the stairwell.

Control the higher ground... the higher ground with the armor, health, AND the rocket launcher...

You should be auto-banned for that... It ruins the entire game for everyone. Except when I join, where I kill you until you leave the game crying. :)
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-17, 7:27 PM #19
Yes, because cleverness should ALWAYS be rewarded with a "No" sticker.

Just cause you didn't get there first.

I'm in it for the win. Don't like it? TOO BAD.
2005-01-17, 7:30 PM #20
Normally, I would say kill anything anyhow.
But after alot of Counter-Strike playing lately.. I've come so close to kniving so many guys.. I've been right next to them, only to have that guy shot by a teammate. It's really annoying.

If something cool is going to happen, let it happen.
But other than that, anything goes.
2005-01-17, 7:31 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Yes, because cleverness should ALWAYS be rewarded with a "No" sticker.

Just cause you didn't get there first.

I'm in it for the win. Don't like it? TOO BAD.

Cleverness? When has spaming a weapon the entire game been clever? I'm all for short-term camping but when someone camps the entire game it just shows a lack of skill IMO.
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-17, 7:36 PM #22
Go for it.

Theres nothing wrong with aggressive playing, it just makes the game more fun...
2005-01-17, 7:38 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
Cleverness? When has spaming a weapon the entire game been clever? I'm all for short-term camping but when someone camps the entire game it just shows a lack of skill IMO.

Controlling the higher ground isn't camping, standing in one spot is.

Thats about as bad as in resource control teamplay games, when someone calls you a camper for guarding your resources.
2005-01-17, 7:39 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
It's a deathmatch not a bloody teaparty. KILL KILL KILL!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-17, 8:04 PM #25
Holy hell Sol! I've never seen anyone on a HL2 server with a better kill/death ratio than you! Ever! :eek:
2005-01-17, 8:29 PM #26
I thought this would be about something slightly different... Nevertheless, I have two comics that fit the thread beautifully.

[linked for smallish instances of language]

Etiquette One
Etiquette Two

I love those two.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-17, 9:49 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Ric_Olie
And we need to set up a Massassi HL2DM tourney:

That'd be really cool. Or simply a Massassi server.
2005-01-17, 9:53 PM #28
Somebody did set up a Massassi server when HL2DM was released, but I don't know if it's still going. Depending on when I get a job and how much I get paid, I'd be willing to lease a server from Recon Gamer or something similar for say, 3 months or so. We'll see. I need a job first.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-17, 10:31 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_9286
I thought this would be about something slightly different... Nevertheless, I have two comics that fit the thread beautifully.

[linked for smallish instances of language]

Etiquette One
Etiquette Two

I love those two.

Nice. ;)
Pissed Off?
2005-01-17, 11:03 PM #30
The Massassi HL2 server was mine, I'll start it back up soon. I made it a generic HL2 server since no more ians were coming around, plus that was just a test anyway. Right now I'm using my server as a desktop because my desktop is broken, so you'll have to wait a bit.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-17, 11:12 PM #31
All's fair in love, war and HL2DM.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2005-01-18, 4:08 AM #32
If there is need, I can set up a second server, maybe with Teams or something also, in addition to Emon's. My server also got a great response when I hosted CS:S.
2005-01-18, 4:38 AM #33
Hey whos that The G-Man >.>
Grrrr....
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-18, 5:42 AM #34
My favorite thing to do in CoD: UO is bash people with smoke grenades. It takes about 4 hits to kill them, but if you can do it, especially on SD games it's awesome.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-18, 5:45 AM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol

Lack of skill? If its so stupid an ineffective, why would you complain about it? Sounds more like some one wishes they got there first...:D

Seriously, all game camping is rarely a path to a win. So why would you even care?
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-18, 5:48 AM #36
HL2 Deathmatch go nuts but a JKA server... that stupid saber down thing is so annoying if you run around without a weapon I'm gonna kill you get over it... don't join a deathmatch game to chat.
2005-01-18, 6:04 AM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
HL2 Deathmatch go nuts but a JKA server... that stupid saber down thing is so annoying if you run around without a weapon I'm gonna kill you get over it... don't join a deathmatch game to chat.

Yeah, if you want to chat join IRC...I just shoot guys on the other team, I don't care what they are or aren't doing.

One of the things that bothers me about standard deathmatch and is one of the reasons I no longer play it: There is no punishment for dying yourself, unless the kill was self inflicted.

This can make the gameplay fast, but it just doesn't seem right. I played a lot of RtCW for awhile (which is a team objective/defense type of game) and there were a couple punishments: spawns only occured every 30 seconds or so, and there was a lot of walking to do to get back into the action when that happened. I also used to play a lot on a server that just ran a blown out village level that was basically team DM...only you only had 7 lives. There was an incentive to stay alive rather than try and get the most kills.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-01-18, 7:11 AM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by El Scorcho
Lack of skill? If its so stupid an ineffective, why would you complain about it? Sounds more like some one wishes they got there first...:D

Seriously, all game camping is rarely a path to a win. So why would you even care?

Well you obviously haven't played HL2DM, because where the rocket launcher is, there is 3 spawn point right below it, which why you'll see someone who blocks off the doorway, with like 50 kills and 1 death...

But like I said, it doesn't work when I play because I'm not an idiot like 99% of HL2DM players. Once I know where you are, your dead.
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-18, 7:15 AM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Holy hell Sol! I've never seen anyone on a HL2 server with a better kill/death ratio than you! Ever! :eek:

Hehe, thanks. :o I want to start a small 5 man clan or something, but there is rarely anyone near as good as me (there are exceptions of course.)
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-18, 9:54 AM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior

Indeed. And the stupid admins that monitor these servers. I only play, if I ever play JA, CTF and Siege.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!