Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gamecube or X-box?
Gamecube or X-box?
2005-01-17, 7:20 PM #1
I"m considering purchasing a gaming console, but I'm not sure whether I should purchase an X-box or Gamecube.
Whaddya guys think? If someone could give me the pros/cons of each system, I would be thankful.
Thanks
2005-01-17, 7:26 PM #2
If it were this time last year, I would've said Xbox, hands down. But now, with Metroid Prime 2 and Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube, you've got a serious, awesome contender. Match that with great party games a la Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, and SSBM, and you've got a solid console. Add a few more games like Windwaker, Viewtiful Joe, the new Zelda that is coming out, and Viewtiful Joe 2, and the Gamecube seems like a good decision. Then again, the Xbox does have Halo 2 (if you are into that, I personally didn't find it to be astounding), Ninja Gaiden, and some other exclusives. If depends on what you want. Right now, I'd say the Gamecube has the more varied and interesting library of exclusive games.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-17, 7:27 PM #3
Depends on the type of games you play... Pick the X-Box if you like FPSers.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-17, 7:29 PM #4
FPS's should only be played on the PC...
2005-01-17, 7:33 PM #5
I've only got a GCN and PS2, so I can't comment on Xbox, but I must say, GCN is the pick for me. Yeah, sure, Halo and that are nice. But GCN is a BLAST for parties. Why, just this afternoon I found myself cussing out my friends duringa Metroid Prime 2 game, or perhaps an annoying (yet oddly fun) game of Monkeyball2 yes? Add RE4 on top of that, and you've got a good selection right there. I'd say that if you want variety, go with the GCN, because Xbox is mostly guts and gory. But if you can, and I know this isn't a choice, but if you can, get a GCN w/ a PS2. You get virtually every kind of game then, and you can stick with Nintendo Old's like Link and Mario, and still play games like Jak 3, or for an annoying (and VERY FUN) platformer Jak and Daxter. Hope this review helped you.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-01-17, 7:36 PM #6
Presume you've already got a PS2?
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-17, 7:38 PM #7
'BUT OMG GAMECUBE IS ALL KIDDY GAMES LOLOLOL IM COOL!' <- A message for all who say things like this...Get a life.

Gamecube is the only REAL console out today. Get it. Love it.

It has games for all ages. Some may be more childish then others...but so what? You can go from Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg to Eternal Darkness! Mario can entertain me for hours, where as killing hookers and driving over people in GTA bore me. X-Box is more like a cheap PC with bad controls then a console. PS2 can't even handle it's own games. It slows down way to much. I just bought my friend Sly for his birthday and he loves it, but he almost returned it because at one part the game slowed down too much on his PS2.

Gamecube 100%
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-17, 7:44 PM #8
don't listen to any of the above people who don't know what they are talking about...

BUY BOTH
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-17, 8:08 PM #9
Failing that, buy the one that has the most games/upcomming games that you will play. I personally think that buying something like a console based upon what other people think is stupid. The only requirements that need to be met are yours. And your prime requirement for that new console will be games. You are the one that purchases those games, thus you will want good ones. Buy one based upon the games you want. Nothing else honestly matters as much as that.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-17, 8:08 PM #10
I"m not really considering a PS2 because I've heard that Gamecube and X-box are a lot more capable than PS2. Dunno if that's true though.
I'm aware that FPS are good with the X-box, but I've got all the FPS gaming with my PC. PC has better multi too.
Because of the variety of games with the Gamecube, and it's usefulness in parties, I"m leaning towards the gamecube.
BTW, thanks fer the quick replies, folks. :)
2005-01-17, 8:38 PM #11
'OMG GAMECUBE IS TEH ONLY REAL CONSOLE OUT TODAY!!! I R HARDCORE GAME-AR!' <- A message for all who say things like this...Get a life.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-17, 8:44 PM #12
Wow, that is exactly what I said...Oh wait. [http://www.oscempire.net/images/misc/stfu.gif]
2005-01-17, 8:47 PM #13
tough choice. I have an xbox and don't regret buying it....mostly cause of the hard drive, halo, kotor, fable, and morrowind....and halo 2 on xbox live.
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-01-17, 9:26 PM #14
metroid prime, and metroid prime 2:echoes

NEED I SAY MORE
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-17, 9:31 PM #15
YOU ARE ALL INSANE!!!1 You need to buy yourself a colecovision.

colecovision > *
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-17, 9:32 PM #16
I'm having alot more fun with my xbox than I ever did with my game cube. My cube is stashed in a closet not being used at home, and my xbox is getting lots of use.

You can also play on Xlive and Xbconnect, which is a big plus.
Games are all about personal preference, but Xbox is a better system. The controllers (The smaller ones) are also 100x better than gamecube. More buttons and better locations allow for better playing.
2005-01-17, 9:39 PM #17
Just so I feel a bit better about my opinion being known...

Again, I'll say that the games you want to play should take top priority when deciding. That's the major thing I looked at for literally months before I finally bought my Xbox. What good is owning the "best console ever" if you don't want to play any of it's games?

After figureing that out, the secondary considerations should be features you'd like to have access to, controllers, etc.

I can't understand how alot of you will go about recommending a console without stating that.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2005-01-17, 11:12 PM #18
I happen to own both (and PS2), and based on games I like the most I'd have to say GameCube.

Pikmin 1 &2, Metroid Prime 1&2, Ikaruga, F-Zero GX, Zelda Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4 and Super Smash Bros. Melee are games in my collection I consider must owns.

For Xbox, it's pretty much just Ninja Gaiden and Halo 2. I own more games for Xbox than GameCube.

http://spectrael.sorrowind.net/games/
2005-01-18, 1:24 AM #19
Just out of curiousity, how many XBOX vs GameCube debates does this make it? 506,204,120?
2005-01-18, 2:32 AM #20
Gamecube. I've spent a lot of time with all three consoles but I keep coming back to the Gamecube because the games just kick ***. After a sluggish start, the amount of excellent games that have been released in the past 12 months compared to the X-box means there's no other choice but the Cube.
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2005-01-18, 3:42 AM #21
whatever floats your boat.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-18, 5:14 AM #22
mario kart double dash kicks ***
2005-01-18, 10:32 AM #23
As does Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer :D

2005-01-18, 11:21 AM #24
I have to agree with everyone so far who has told you to get the Gamecube. There are so many great games that have come out and are yet to come out, and many great games for parties.

One reason I'm loving my cube right now is I have the Gameboy player hooked up on mine, and the fact that they have that opens up an whole new library of games to you. I'd be screwed when it comes to playing the new GBA Zelda game right now, what with my girlfriend borrowing my GBA, and the fact that the Zelda games are just too much to be playing "on-the-go."

I find it odd to hear people say that the GC controlers suck, when they are the only console controlers that have ever felt "right" in my hands.

But anyway, if you do end up getting a Game Cube, I seriously recomend getting a Wave Bird controler . . . I don't know how I was able to use the GC without mine.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2005-01-18, 11:53 AM #25
I like alll three, but I own a gamecube and PS2. They just have the games I like.
Quote:
hard drive, halo, kotor, fable, and morrowind....and halo 2

ok, aren't those either a) on PC or B) going to be on PC anyway?:P
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-01-18, 11:56 AM #26
Fable sucked anyway.

As expansive and open ended as it claimed to be, I always found myself on these linear pathways.
2005-01-18, 12:23 PM #27
As a gamecube fanatic, I say...

Pick whichever you bloody like! It's the games that matter. Mech Assault or Pikmin? Metroid or Halo? Ect, ect.

I say GC because I just love nintendo games. But it just depends on what you like, both are different animals.
2005-01-18, 12:44 PM #28
XBox hands down...
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-01-18, 1:54 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by MFalse3
I find it odd to hear people say that the GC controlers suck, when they are the only console controlers that have ever felt "right" in my hands.

uh... not everyone has your hands. When I started taking the controllers into consideration before I bought my Xbox, which is, by the way, my first console, none of them felt or worked for me nearly as well as the Controller-S. The rest felt crammed, small, and hurt my wrists like hell. The Controller-S is the perfect weight, the buttons are all in the right places, and from where I sit, it's designed better.
Last Stand
2005-01-18, 2:03 PM #30
The gamecube control like melts into your hand it fits so perfect.
2005-01-18, 2:49 PM #31
I have played Xbox and Gamecube a ton, so I think my opinion is at least slightly valid.
I am a Nintendo fanboy, I will not deny it. I personally would take the Cube. I have never really been impressed by anything I have seen on the Xbox. For instant, I never really thought Halo or Halo 2 was all that great. I think FPS were made for the PC.
A lot of my friends love Halo 2, but none of them are PC gamers so I guess thats typical.
I played Metroid Prime 2 this weekend for a long time at my friends house, and I can sum up my feelings in one word: wow. I might actually like it more than the first, and thats REALLY hard to do. I have heard Resident Evil 4 is like the best game ever so thats another plus.
And of course you have the great party games like SSBM, Monkeyball, etc.
The lack of internet capabilities on GCN may turn you off, as it does many, but I don't like the way console games feel when played online, I'm not sure why either. I think playing with your friends is a lot of fun.
Of course though you have Halo 2 and Halo with LAN capabilities which is great for parties. Always have a blast with 6+ people playing it. So if you have lots of friends who are into Halo you should concider this.

As a PC gamer I would pick up the Gamecube. As its games are completely different from anything I can get for the PC.
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2005-01-18, 4:57 PM #32
Okay, forget all these fanboys here. Save your money, get a job, and then buy yourself a year at college. It'll help you out a lot more in the long run.

Speaking seriously, I wouldn't listen to SAJN. He's a complete Nintendo fanboy in the worst way (coming from someone who's named after a NINTENDO CHARACTER) and he's got a 100% biased opinion.

The X-Box? It's good. It's got its ups, its downs. There are some awesome games out for it (Ninja Gaiden, Halo, Halo 2, Fable), there are some fairly decent ones, and there are some bad ones. Same with the GC.

Honestly, if you've got a PS2 (which I didn't feel like reading through the fanboy fodder so I have no idea) I wouldn't get it for RE4, as it will be coming out later this year. There are other solid games for it, but if that's your one reason for getting it...

Animal Crossing--addictive, fun, think Sim's without the upkeep and more interaction instead of the feeling of being god
F-Zero GX--solid racing game, quite fun, holy hell is it fast paced
Mario Kart:DD--I hated this title. At least in comparison to the other two Mario Kart titles. It's a decent game, but if you want an opinion on it...well don't ask me.
Pikmin--if you're into that kinda thing
Metroid Prime 1 and 2--Aparrently one of the best games out for the consoles. *shrug*
New Zelda Game--YES!

If you have a PS2 then I suggest a few games if you have some $$ left over (which you probably will).

Metal Gear Solid 3--do I need to explain?
GTA:SA--if you like GTA games, you'll LOVE this.
Burnout 3--better on the other consoles, but it's out for this one too...so hey. If you end up not getting another console, why not? Great game
Wild Arms 3--most underrated RPG ever :(
D E A T H
2005-01-18, 5:02 PM #33
If you get a GC buy Rogue Leader. Awesome game, easily the BEST Rogue Squadron game besides the first. Don't waste your time with Rebel Strike, that was just butchering Rogue Leader's fame.

The only good thing about Rebel Strike is you get to drive speederbikes (very limited though) and it has the Rogue Leader missions in co-op.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-01-18, 5:05 PM #34
Get a Gamecube, and buy the X-box games you want when they come out on computer.
Life is beautiful.
2005-01-18, 5:11 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Leader
Get a Gamecube, and buy the X-box games you want when they come out on computer.

A lot of them don't come out for the comp. Examples? Halo 2, Halo, and Ninja Gaiden, easily three of the best games out today (though some people may or may not like them)
D E A T H
2005-01-18, 5:13 PM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
A lot of them don't come out for the comp. Examples? Halo 2, Halo, and Ninja Gaiden, easily three of the best games out today (though some people may or may not like them)

Halo was released for comp....
2005-01-18, 5:13 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
Wow, that is exactly what I said...Oh wait. [http://www.oscempire.net/images/misc/stfu.gif]

It WAS exactly what you said...

And DJ Yoshia, Halo 2 will be coming out for PC also as far as I know, so you are down to 1. I pretty much agree on Yoshi with his longer post up above. Xbox has Fable, Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, Gamecube has Marios, Animal Crossing, and so on. I would go with the Xbox given my choice though just because of Fable and Halo 2.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-01-18, 5:34 PM #38
It really is all a matter of what kind of games you like. GameCube does have quite a variety, but then again, so does the XBox. I think one other factor to look at besides the games is the price. That's what I liked so well about the GameCube. It had a good price. It didn't cost an arm and a leg like the XBox, and even the PS2.
2005-01-18, 6:42 PM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by Morfildor
Halo was released for comp....

Indeed it was, but Halo kicks far more *** on Xbox than on PC. Plus Gearbox totally screwed over multiplayer in a number of different ways.
Last Stand
2005-01-18, 6:52 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by drizzt2k2
And DJ Yoshia, Halo 2 will be coming out for PC also as far as I know.

Granted, Microsoft would be quite foolish to NOT port it, but until you hear something for certain, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'd be willing to bet you won't hear anything about it for awhile.
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!