Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Games that nobody's really heard of, but rock!
Games that nobody's really heard of, but rock!
2005-01-18, 3:14 PM #1
Star Crusader (PC > DOS) (Space flight sim)
Wow. Really great game, tons of ships. You start out with 3 and one of them can disable enemy ships and tow them around, then you can capture them and warp out with them. A forked storyline that branches off in a certain mission. Corny story though. Graphics are pretty good for a DOS game, with quite a bit of camera angles while flying around and blowing stuff up. Too bad they didn't release the expansion that was advertised in the Manual.

Legend of Legia (PSX) (RPG)
Really, really great RPG. Interesting combat system and storyline. Graphics are subpar. Basically some guy with blue hair finds some thing and attaches it to his arm. His village's wall then breaks and lets in mist that spawns evil monsters and stuff. He runs out and goes on a little adventure. Meets people who also have things on their arms and they go out to revive Genesis Trees. Pretty cool game if you can actually find it. Sequel was a huge dissapointment though.

Tales of Destiny (PSX) (RPG)
Holy crap. Another game that proves PSX is one of the best consoles for RPG games (Tied with SNES) A basic 2-d RPG with a side scrolling real time battle system. For battling, you control the character in your first slot (Easily changeable) You can pause it at any time and assign your AI controled characters to execute a specific ability on something, instead of using their judgement and attacking what they want, how they want. Secret item that when equipped to the second slot, the second player can play that character (Easily found, seemingly does nothing, so don't sell it) All around an interesting, but cliche, story. Once again try to get if you see it

Master of Orion 1/2 (DOS/PC) (TBS)
A pretty good Turn-based-strat game. You start with 1-several (depending on game settings) systems with planets in them. You research stuff, talk to other races, blow stuff up in nice overhead battles, and eventually conquer the orion system. Although I don't remember much of this game, it's a must-have to stratagy fans. Stay away from master of orion 3. (my poor psilons :( )

Post other games that you like that is definatly not talked about and not popular :P
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-18, 3:16 PM #2
sounds like Tales of Destiny is a sequel/prequel of sorts to Tales of Phantasia (one of the best looking SNES games, also on PSX)
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-18, 3:20 PM #3
Shogo: MAD - yea... just yea...

Koldelka! - ok, that was horrid, BUT STILL... nope just horrid
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-01-18, 3:25 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane

Legend of Legia (PSX) (RPG)
Really, really great RPG. Interesting combat system and storyline. Graphics are subpar. Basically some guy with blue hair finds some thing and attaches it to his arm. His village's wall then breaks and lets in mist that spawns evil monsters and stuff. He runs out and goes on a little adventure. Meets people who also have things on their arms and they go out to revive Genesis Trees. Pretty cool game if you can actually find it. Sequel was a huge dissapointment though.

agreed, the squal really is a huge dissapointment compared to the first. But it isn't a BAD game, But at the same its not really good game either
2005-01-18, 3:26 PM #5
i have played legend of legia, i thought it was the coolest
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-18, 3:28 PM #6
Evil Genius.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-18, 3:30 PM #7
Sin
Stronghold
Super DodgeBall Advance
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-18, 3:32 PM #8
Hahaha, Sin was cool.. .I remember the demo.
2005-01-18, 4:00 PM #9
Thrasher Skate & Destroy (PS1) i wonder how this one got lost... it's not like there were any other skating games on the PS1... a PS1 game with ragdoll most likely the only PS1 game with ragdoll
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-18, 4:18 PM #10
The first two Tony Hawk games were PS1
Pissed Off?
2005-01-18, 4:19 PM #11
Screamer: Breakneck Road Racing

Its an old racing game with like 3 tracks, 4 cars to choose from and one music track. But insanely addictive. Bought it when I was seven.
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-18, 5:05 PM #12
Wild Arms 3
D E A T H
2005-01-18, 5:06 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by DrkJedi82
Thrasher Skate & Destroy (PS1) i wonder how this one got lost... it's not like there were any other skating games on the PS1... a PS1 game with ragdoll most likely the only PS1 game with ragdoll

Still my fav skating game. Bailing is fun, plus it actually takes skill to pull off huge moves.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-18, 5:08 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Wild Arms 3

Bleh forgot that one. It was my first PS2 game.

I love that series so freaking much.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-18, 5:15 PM #15
Skitchin'
2005-01-18, 5:18 PM #16
YES! Starcrusader > you. This was the first REAL PC game I ever owned. This and Chip's Challenge. They were on my old windows 95 machine. OMG, I loved that PC. I probably wrote some of my WORST poetry ever with the computer.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-18, 5:22 PM #17
Chip's Challenge!!! and Jezball...god I loved that game...
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-01-18, 5:22 PM #18
pc:

Descent
Eradicator
Deadlock II

n64:

Hybrid Heaven
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-01-18, 5:24 PM #19
Descent was great. Loved it.

Empire was good too. Nobodies really heard of it. Basically it's a turned based stratagy game for DOS where the units are blocks with icons on them to tell the player what they were. Came with a map editor. Think it's freeware now.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-18, 5:29 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
The first two Tony Hawk games were PS1

i know that... 3 and 4 were also released on PS1 i was being sarcastic...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-18, 5:32 PM #21
Half-Life 2.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-01-18, 6:20 PM #22
Jet Grind Radio
2005-01-18, 6:22 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by DrkJedi82
i know that... 3 and 4 were also released on PS1 i was being sarcastic...

I should know better, you being the resident console game fanatic genius. :o
Pissed Off?
2005-01-18, 6:44 PM #24
Frequency for PS2.
Bloobs for PC.
2005-01-18, 6:50 PM #25
ChronoTrigger - my favorite game to this date. A billion different endings, ridiculously awesome atmosphere and story, two combo attacks can be combined, you actually feel like your on an adventure, its so good.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-01-18, 6:58 PM #26
Mashed.

Presuming you have a PS2, multi-tap, 4 controllers, and 3 friends.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-18, 7:15 PM #27
I like Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy... or whatever its called. Kind of a Zelda ripoff - but soundtrack cool and fun to play
2005-01-18, 7:33 PM #28
It was all about Anachronox! It should have been finished but EA FUBAR it.
MithShrike: First Mateneer
Pimpin' Yerba Mate Drinker
2005-01-18, 7:42 PM #29
Freespace 1 and Privateer. Two most underrated games ever. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Freespace is my favorite game of all time.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-18, 7:46 PM #30
SNES - Shin Megami Tensei

SMT > You

Amiga 2000 - Frontier: Elite II

space flight with an infinite universe, on 1 floppy disk. Try emulating it. f00bs.
Hazard a company one process.
2005-01-18, 8:13 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Freespace 1 and Privateer. Two most underrated games ever. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Freespace is my favorite game of all time.

Freespace rocked, and freespace 2 was even better. Though either it got canceled or only ten copies are in existance because I called at least 50 stores to ask if they had it and no one did.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-18, 8:17 PM #32
/me pets his copy of Freespace. :p
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-18, 10:29 PM #33
Shadow Warrior - So much f***ing better than most of the games. Too bad it was released in 1997, and was a BUILD-based game... oh well, it rocked and you don't.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-18, 10:37 PM #34
FutureCop: L.A.P.D.

Yay!
2005-01-19, 12:39 AM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn42689
FutureCop: L.A.P.D.

Yay!

yay but also Wild Guns (SNES)
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-19, 12:52 AM #36
Crystalis:
1997, October 1, The END DAY. Savage war engulfs the world. Civilization is destroyed. An evolution had taken place. The Earth's axis shifted and all the creatures became mutated. Life would never be the same. Those surviving vowed not to repeat their mistakes of the past and erected a great tower in the sky to oppress evil forever.
100 years have passed. Most of the earth has become dominated by mutated creatures. People worked together to rebuild their villages and their lives, but they still lived in fear. As they feared the rebirth of evil, they remembered the construction of the tower and of it's consequences once activation had begun. Once evil emerged, would they still stand a chance? There was still one hope...

An NES game, ported from Japan (where it was called GodSlayer, a name changed for obvious reasons), you play a young man with no name, no past, and one big honking future. The first thing that happens is you scare the ever-lovin bejeezus out of some poor sap, then stagger into the glorious town of Leaf, where backwater is pretty much the only kind of water. Turns out, get this, you're some sort of "chosen one", the re-incarnation of a long dead wiseman. As such, you are required by fate to exterminate Draygon, a sort of corrupt christ figure, the humanoid extrusion of the new world's god. To do this, you have to collect the five swords of the Wise Men. Each can be used as a melee weapon or as a sort of charge-up blast. Each has three levels of attack, the first coming included, the second requiring special items, and the thrid requiring another special item as well as a dose of magic. They are:
Wind: The first sword you get. Level one is a blast of air, the second is a... slightly stronger blast of air (that destroys stone walls), and third is... give me a sec... Oh yeah, an array of seven tornadoes. Level Two requires the Ball of Wind, level three the Tornado Bracelet.
Fire: The second sword you get. Level one is a fireball, level two is a flamethrower type thing (that destroys Ice Walls), level three is a full on firestorm. Level two requires the Ball of Fire, level three the Flame Bracelet.
Water: The third sword. Level one is a jet of water. level two is a blast of ice that makes bridges over the river. Level three is a blizzard that makes everything on the screen spin around like crazy. Level two requires Ball of Water, level three the Blizzard Bracelet.
Thunder: The fourth and most powerful sword. Level one is three bolts of lightning. Level two is seven (!) bolts of lightning that destroys Iron Walls. Level three is the singe most powerful attack in the game, a flash of lightning that evaporates EVERYTHING ON THE SCREEN. Level two requires the Ball of Thunder, three the Lightning Bracelet.
After you gather the four swords of the elements, you go see one of the wise men, and get them combined into Crystalis just in time for the final climactic battle where you fulfill you destiny. Twice.
So, you basically use these swords to slice your way through scores of enemies (almost Dynasty Warriors style), solve the problems of the people in the various towns of the kingdom, and dispatch Draygon's powerful leitenants (Big Bat, Kelbesque, Sabera, Mado). You travel to many different towns (Leaf, Brynmaer, Oak, Nadare's, Portoa, Amazones, Joel, Swan, Shyron, Goa, and Sahara), meet many interesting people, and basically do the whole Final Fantasy thing (there are many striking similarities, but let's forget about that).
In addition, you get a whole fixin' of magic powers, from regeneration to telepathy, transformation, flight, paralysis, etc.

-It's a glorious game.
2005-01-19, 1:07 AM #37
Serious Sam 2.
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2005-01-19, 1:21 AM #38
System Shock 1/2, to a lesser extend, Thief 1/2/3.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-19, 4:58 AM #39
Betrayal At Krondor

Real old RPG from Dynamix based on the Riftwar books from Raymond E. Feist. I used to play this game years ago, but kinda lost interest after awhile. Having now read the Riftwar trilogy(Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon), as well as 'Honored Enemy', I decided to try this game again... and frankly, it's bloody good. An intriguing storyline, Feist's influence is really noticable(it has a typical large cast, his usual prose) and the storyline is also really typically epic. There are the usual characters from Feist's book(a more grown-up James and Locklear, I've seen both Arutha and Pug in cameo roles(although the latter plays a bigger role later, I've heard), and two new characters, Owny and Gorath, are fairly interesting. Owyn is the typical 'young-unassuming-man-who-winds-being-part-of-something-big', and Gorath is the dark-elf-turned-good. The latter, however, is far from being a Drizzt clone. He is not a typically nice and friendly bloke, makes no excuses for his past behaviour nor that of his race, and never really go into rants.

So far, this is also the only game which has done the large open-ended world right. Like with Morrowind, there is a large land for you to explore('tho graphically not that diverse) with lots of quests thrown around. The combat system is a nice turn-based system, not too easy but also not too frustratingly hard. No levels, but learn-by-doing(but you can't endlessly slash or pick a lock and expect to raise your stats). All in all, I kinda see BaK as Morrowind, but with a examplary storyline, detailed characters, fun combat system, and overall just entertaining.

All in all, I'd really recommend getting it. A few years ago, the game was released as freeware. Get Dosbox and download it. It's quite ace.
The answer is maybe.
2005-01-19, 5:18 AM #40
How has nobody really heard of aforementioned games like the System Shocks and Thiefs, Serious Sam 2, Chrono Trigger and some others? I realize Piggott saying Half-Life 2 was sarcastic, but that's it...anyway:

- Jagged Alliance, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games and Jagged Alliance 2

- Silent Storm.

There are tons of great games that only a seemingly small cult following knows about, I just can't get any more on my mind right now. :p
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!