Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Views on drinking
Views on drinking
2005-01-24, 3:38 PM #41
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
And the war on (other) drugs IS working well?

touche
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-01-24, 3:44 PM #42
I don't drink simply because I have no need for it. If I'm not mentally strong enough to lose any inhibitions I have to do what I want to do, that's something I want to work on, not something I want to artificially change with a drug. I hate drugs. I usually even avoid tylenol when I have headaches. This is probably more personal paranoia than anything else though.

Also, there's the obvious: "it's poison, wtf is wrong with you people" argument.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-01-24, 3:45 PM #43
I only drink every so often.

I sill haven't found a non-mixed dink that I like. All the wines that I have tried so far are too dry for me. And the spirits that I have tried have that weird bubbly feeling in the back of the nasal cavity feeling when I drink them.

I have found one that I could stand, if it was not pepermint flavoured.

Can't drink too much alcohol as some of my medication can react with alcohol. I can still drink, but I cant drink a whole lot.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-01-24, 3:51 PM #44
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
Logically, there are reasons, you just have to look for them outside of medical or statistical facts. Purely scientific: It's so easy to make anywhere. Logistic: It's very easy to smuggle or misuse, since it's much needed as a chemical. And last but not least historical facts that apply as well to tobacco.

All are strong logical points of view.

You can grow mushrooms in your bedroom with a limited amount of equipment. Same for cannabis. I'd probably say setting up some sort of distilling system would take more effort.

The prevalence of other drugs attests to how easy they are to smuggle.

Not sure what the point you're making with tobacco is, but if you're comparing it to alcohol, it's a very different argument. Tobacco doesn't alter your mental state the same way that other drugs do.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2005-01-24, 3:51 PM #45
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
Where's the option of "I used to drink, but am now waiting until I'm 21, and am not against other people drinking as long as they do so reponsibly"?

OMG, DISCRIMINATION. OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE LOWER DRINKING AGES SO sAYING 21 IS DISCRIMINATING AGAINST THEM.

:p :D
2005-01-24, 3:57 PM #46
I drink one or two beers at a time a few times a week. I'm drinking a beer right now, in fact.

IMO, drinking a beer alone is no problem, but getting drunk alone is.
2005-01-24, 4:00 PM #47
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
I don't drink. I did get drunk once just after I turned 21, and I never had any alcohol before I turned 21. My main problem with it is that people abuse the stuff directly and indirectly. Countless women are taken advantage of because they drink too much (and if that's not a good reason for a young woman to not drink much at a party, I don't know what is). People drink and drive. People drink and abuse their wives. If people could control themselves, I would have less of a problem with it. Most of these issues aren't a direct result of alcohol, although they are obviously related. I don't think the government should get involved to the point of banning alcohol like some people, but I do strongly believe they should increase the penalties for drinking and driving tenfold.

that is a tad sexist.

for one thing, females are biologicaly (or someting) unable to process the same amount of alcohol as a male of the same age,size and weight.

It is not just men that can get violent when drunk, or women that get taken advantage of.

Also, most people are able to control their drinking. That is why it seems like a large proportion are alcohol abusers, because those that dont abuse it tend to do the right thing like use a designate driver and not drink themselves stupid.

One last thing, most people that are abusive when drunk already have a self control problem, the alcohol just increases it.

[/rant]

please dont ban me. :D
2005-01-24, 4:05 PM #48
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
And the war on (other) drugs IS working well?

not realy, but it is not the mafia that is doing the majority of the drug trafficing. While during prohibition, the only people around that could supply the alcohol were the same type of people who got into mafia type organisations.
2005-01-24, 4:08 PM #49
Quote:
Originally posted by oSiRiS
Also, there's the obvious: "it's poison, wtf is wrong with you people" argument.

yes, but anything can be a poison if you ingest enough of it.

:p
2005-01-24, 4:15 PM #50
Quote:
Originally posted by alpha1
not realy, but it is not the mafia that is doing the majority of the drug trafficing. While during prohibition, the only people around that could supply the alcohol were the same type of people who got into mafia type organisations.

While the Italian Mafia doesn't do the majority of drug trafficking, I can tell you right now that it is still supplied by other forms of Organized crimes (Hells Angels, Asian gangs etc.)
2005-01-24, 4:15 PM #51
Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
Beer me.

Man, the service here is horrible. 20 hours and I don't see a beer in your hand!
Pissed Off?
2005-01-24, 4:23 PM #52
Quote:
yes, but anything can be a poison if you ingest enough of it.

Yes, but how often have you heard of people dying of applesauce poisoning? ;)

Quote:
OMG, DISCRIMINATION. OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE LOWER DRINKING AGES SO sAYING 21 IS DISCRIMINATING AGAINST THEM.

Screw other countries. America rox hard.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-24, 4:27 PM #53
too...much...applesauce...

*explodes*
2005-01-24, 4:35 PM #54
Quote:
that is a tad sexist.

Not really. It's quite clearly women that get taken advantage of more than men. Especially considering (and here is where Maeve gets crude) if a woman wanted to take sexual advantage of a man, getting him completely wasted would not be the way to go about it.

2005-01-24, 4:57 PM #55
And it isn't sexist to say that a guy can't regret having sex in the morning?

Ok, I'll admit about 99% of the guys are seeking it; but still.
.. Also, if the girl actually thinks she'll be safe when drunk around a bunch of drunk guys, she needs to grow up; party with a different crowd, drink less, buddy system or something.

I regret ever getting drunk and having sex. I wish I could have waited for the right person, but instead I sleep with whores I barely rememeber. And some freinds I know pretty well. Talk about ackward, eh? Well only for a bit.
2005-01-24, 4:59 PM #56
I'm underage, so I had to pick the "I don't drink option"

I'm not against it, as long as people aren't drunk off of their rockers...
2005-01-24, 5:03 PM #57
Quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel King
And it isn't sexist to say that a guy can't regret having sex in the morning?

I didn't even suggest that. Anyone can (and most often do!) regret the things they do while intoxicated - the trick is to find your limits so you don't do things completely out of character.

2005-01-24, 5:07 PM #58
Quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel King
.. Also, if the girl actually thinks she'll be safe when drunk around a bunch of drunk guys, she needs to grow up; party with a different crowd, drink less, buddy system or something.

Or not. It's a matter of partying at safe places - at houses and apartments of people you know and trust with people you know and trust. If you go to a stranger's party, bring plenty of friends, and (preferably) at least one friend who's going to remain sober.

I just happen to usually be that sober buddy. Women are not insta-targets for men, who are not all sex-craving fiends, when they drink.

Oh, and never have a drunk friend watch you drink.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-24, 6:21 PM #59
Quote:
Yes, but how often have you heard of people dying of applesauce poisoning? ;)

Thats how I want to die now.

About drinking, I am far from the age to drink, and I personally can wait, I've only had a few curious sips of wine from my moms glass while she was away.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-01-24, 6:24 PM #60
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
Man, the service here is horrible. 20 hours and I don't see a beer in your hand!

Yeah no kidding. Definitely no tip.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-24, 6:24 PM #61
I'm 21 and I drink only socially

Laura
2005-01-24, 6:29 PM #62
Quote:
Originally posted by maevie
Not really. It's quite clearly women that get taken advantage of more than men. Especially considering (and here is where Maeve gets crude) if a woman wanted to take sexual advantage of a man, getting him completely wasted would not be the way to go about it.

Maybe so.

I wouldn't call it taking advantage of women though. If a girl gets drunk, that's her own problem. If she gets drunk around drunk guys and they end up having sex and regret it later, it's still her problem. If she gets raped, that's being taken advantage of. Anything else is her own fault.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-24, 6:32 PM #63
I'll drink socially. More often than not, it'll just be me and a bunch of friends having a few beers. That's not to say that I haven't done my fair share of partying and getting drunk though. But I've only really gone past my limit once, and figured out not to do it again. And always party safely, with people you trust and a designated driver. Lately, I'm finding myself in the position of the DD, and I don't really mind. It's nice to remember things every once in a while. ;)
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-24, 6:33 PM #64
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
I wouldn't call it taking advantage of women though. If a girl gets drunk, that's her own problem. If she gets drunk around drunk guys and they end up having sex and regret it later, it's still her problem. If she gets raped, that's being taken advantage of. Anything else is her own fault.

So where do you draw the line? It's quite possible to get so drunk that you really are not in control of your decisions. What if this hypothetical girl is at a party and meets some guy she likes, they go somewhere and start making out or whatever, and she's not capable of asserting herself, even though she wants to? Is that rape, or just 'her own problem'?

2005-01-24, 6:40 PM #65
But what if the guy is also drunk? Even if they have little control over their actions, it was their conscious choice to drink and to give up that control, it's not like it was forced on them.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-24, 6:42 PM #66
Quote:
Originally posted by oSiRiS
I don't drink simply because I have no need for it. If I'm not mentally strong enough to lose any inhibitions I have to do what I want to do, that's something I want to work on, not something I want to artificially change with a drug. I hate drugs. I usually even avoid tylenol when I have headaches. This is probably more personal paranoia than anything else though.

I don't drink a lot, occasionally I get drunk, usually I just have a couple of drinks. But there is one area where i'd find a loss of inhibition useful, this is exactly the one area which for some reason alcohol doesn't affect for me. In general i've found that i'm no more likely to chat to random people (and specifically ladies) when i've been drinking.

I drink mainly because I choose drinks I like the taste of and I like the feeling associated with mild drunkenness (some of the most comfortable nights sleep can be found following the slight numbing sensation that follows a bit of light drinking).
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-24, 7:12 PM #67
Quote:
So where do you draw the line? It's quite possible to get so drunk that you really are not in control of your decisions. What if this hypothetical girl is at a party and meets some guy she likes, they go somewhere and start making out or whatever, and she's not capable of asserting herself, even though she wants to? Is that rape, or just 'her own problem'?

Legally speaking? Yes, it is. Personally? No. If she does not make it clear to him that she doesn't want to have sex (a simple "no" suffices), then it's not rape in my opinion.
2005-01-24, 7:43 PM #68
I'm about 4 months clean. I would consider myself a recooperating drunk, if anything. But I got more women when I was a drunk.

I still say it can be a safe substance. Just not for me.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-24, 10:11 PM #69
Quote:

A better course of action would for the guy not to go after the drunk chicks. I will not touch a chick that is obviously drunk b/c its a liability to me.
2005-01-24, 10:43 PM #70
I drink fairly often, and in great amounts on most weekends. I wasn't always this way. I used to be dead-set against the stuff, but somewhere along the way, I just stopped caring.

I don't see a problem with it. It isn't affecting my relations with others or my academics. Hell, I once wrote part of an essay while intoxicated, and I got a decent grade on it. Maybe I do enjoy being at least slightly buzzed as often as financially possible, but it's fine by me. While those around me let emotional problems consume them, I take a shot, chuckle, and just live. I don't intend to do this for the rest of my life, but it shall be my way for these four years of university.

To be honest, I think the world would be a better place if alcoholic beverages were non-existent. They have just caused problems for too many people. This, however, is an unrealistic goal.

Alcohol is here to stay, and I know I can enjoy it responsibly, so cheers!:D

Oh, I would also like to express my dissatisfaction at the service. Who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?
2005-01-25, 5:26 AM #71
Give me Guinness or give me something else!
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-25, 7:12 AM #72
Well, we have two full beer fridges here, as in separate from the food fridge.

tooheys dry, tooheys old, carlton middies, kilkenny, woodstock, gordons, VB, matilda bay, swan draught

And most of a block of carlton middies sitting on the floor next to one of the fridges.

No prizes for guessing which one I went for.
2005-01-25, 7:47 AM #73
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamesh85
IWhile those around me let emotional problems consume them, I take a shot, chuckle, and just live.

exactly. except I do so without alcohol, so it's all the same to me
2005-01-25, 8:08 AM #74
Quote:

There's the world of date-rape drugs as well (Rohypnol, GHB, Ketamine)..it's possible for someone to find out from someone else that they had been raped at/after a party, but she won't remember anything.

However, the legal issues would be incredibly blurred in the scenario you mentioned..I have never been drunk before, so I don't know exactly it affects the brain/body, and to what degree each is affected. Is it possible for someone to be walking around and be completely incapable of asserting herself? I doubt it, but I don't know.

Regardless, I could never say that it would be the woman's fault in that situation. However, it would be a bad decision for her to put herself in that position.
woot!
2005-01-25, 8:14 AM #75
Quote:
Originally posted by CadetLee
Regardless, I could never say that it would be the woman's fault in that situation. However, it would be a bad decision for her to put herself in that position.

Er...how is it not? She made the decision to drink until the state she had become, she failed to let the guy know that she wasn't interested in sex. This is, of course, assuming she's conscious and that all drugs in her system have been self-administered.
2005-01-25, 8:28 AM #76
Quote:
Er...how is it not? She made the decision to drink until the state she had become, she failed to let the guy know that she wasn't interested in sex. This is, of course, assuming she's conscious and that all drugs in her system have been self-administered.

exactly

As long as there isn't someone else forcing her to take these substances, she's the one responsible.
2005-01-25, 8:31 AM #77
I don't drink - happy enough with myself that I don't need it. Plus, so many of my friends have almost no savings cause all they do is spend money on booze.

I don't mind if others drink - BUT DO NOT DRIVE.

I'm so sick of people thinking that they're fine driving after they drink a lot. I've known people killed by DUI drivers, and I hate it.
2005-01-25, 8:40 AM #78
Quote:

Quote:
Is it possible for someone to be walking around and be completely incapable of asserting herself? I doubt it, but I don't know.

If she is able to say no, then it shouldn't be anybody's 'fault'. If she was unable to resist, then it's the guy's fault.

Then again, I'm against sex before marriage..so I'm biased from the start.
woot!
2005-01-25, 9:14 AM #79
The only way she couldn't resist is if she was passed out. In that case, yes, I would agree that it is rape.
2005-01-25, 9:16 AM #80
I should've taken more photos at our last party...

Let's just say we have a bar in our house, complete with optics. Now I just feel like going and getting a nice cold one...

oh, and yes, drinking the odd beer or glass of wine alone is perfectly fine; getting drunk on your own is plain dangerous.

/goes to fridge....

↑ Up to the top!