Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Views on drinking
Views on drinking
2005-01-25, 9:18 AM #81
actually, there are studies that show that there comes a point after drinking enough that you literally are not in control at all. As in, you have absolutely no control at all over your own actions or even decisions. I tihnk in some places when someone's drunk enough they're not even legally accountable for thier actions. Something to do with psychology...I think I'll have to check a little more into that...
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-01-25, 9:51 AM #82
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
Er...how is it not? She made the decision to drink until the state she had become, she failed to let the guy know that she wasn't interested in sex.

This is exactly what I'm arguing against. Firstly, not everyone knows their limits, it's something you learn. If this girl is unlucky enough to end up in such a state and isn't surrounded by people taking care of her, and ends up with this guy, why should she have to assert herself? Why is the assumption that this drunk girl wants sex unless she says no? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

And yes, your judgement can be impaired so much that you are either incapable of making decisions or you end up making ones that are completely out of character. There has lately been a trend of date rapists making a point of getting girls drunk and letting everyone at the party/bar/etc see that she is having a good time so that they will later have witnesses to contest that it couldn't have possibly been rape, since she obviously liked the guy earlier that night.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2005-01-25, 11:08 AM #83
Its like religion. I dont mind if others do it, as long as they dont try and force it onto me. Then I get annoyed. (Was going to say pissed, but might have caused some confusion)
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-01-25, 11:13 AM #84
Quote:
Originally posted by maevie
Why is the assumption that this drunk girl wants sex unless she says no? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

You know as well as I that chicks want sex just as much as we guys do. There is just a time and place for it.
2005-01-25, 11:17 AM #85
Quote:
This is exactly what I'm arguing against. Firstly, not everyone knows their limits, it's something you learn. If this girl is unlucky enough to end up in such a state and isn't surrounded by people taking care of her, and ends up with this guy, why should she have to assert herself?

Then it's her responsibility to make sure she 'learns her limits' in an environment where she isn't in danger.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-25, 11:18 AM #86
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
You know as well as I that chicks want sex just as much as we guys do. There is just a time and place for it.

we don't want it "as much as [you] do" until we're about 35 ;)
2005-01-25, 11:27 AM #87
Quote:
Originally posted by sugarless5
we don't want it "as much as [you] do" until we're about 35 ;)

just wait until you graduate and go to college. :p
2005-01-25, 11:32 AM #88
I'm beyond excited for graduating this year, but it is true that women reach their sexual prime at about 35 while men reach it at about 18
2005-01-25, 11:50 AM #89
Quote:

But it's the general consensus that girls can get it when they want (ie, they're often the ones making the choice) so if their judgement is impaired, it can't be considered ok.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2005-01-25, 11:58 AM #90
Quote:
just wait until you graduate and go to college. :p

Her point still stands.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-25, 12:44 PM #91
Quote:
Originally posted by sugarless5
actually, there are studies that show that there comes a point after drinking enough that you literally are not in control at all. As in, you have absolutely no control at all over your own actions or even decisions. I tihnk in some places when someone's drunk enough they're not even legally accountable for thier actions. Something to do with psychology...I think I'll have to check a little more into that...

If you're voluntarily intoxicated, you (typically) legally accept responsibility for your actions. I'm thinking there was a court ruling that decided that..I can look it up if anybody wants me to.

If someone is drunk enough not to know what's going on, and she's taken advantage by some guy, that guy is in the wrong. Period.
woot!
2005-01-25, 9:12 PM #92
I don't drink, never have, never will... probably has something to do with my religious beliefs and upbringing. I don't really see the point of going out and getting plastered and every week, or any time for that matter. Just seems like there are better things to be doing than killing brain cells, IMHO.

I have workmates who do drink, some of them seem to drink and get drunk quite a lot. One guy seems to find it easy to forget stuff, not just about the night he was drinking, but just stuff you tell him about jobs he's working on.
But, hell, it's their bodies, I guess they can slowly poison themselves if they want.

Brings to mind a bumper sticker I saw a couple of months ago, "The Liver is Evil, It must be Punished!"
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2005-01-25, 9:25 PM #93
Getting mildly drunk perhaps three times per month.
2005-01-26, 7:31 AM #94
Quote:
Why is the assumption that this drunk girl wants sex unless she says no? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

If a girl goes out to a room or some place private, and the guy initiates attempts to start sex, and she does not say no, why should he assume she doesn't want sex?

Quote:
There has lately been a trend of date rapists making a point of getting girls drunk and letting everyone at the party/bar/etc see that she is having a good time so that they will later have witnesses to contest that it couldn't have possibly been rape, since she obviously liked the guy earlier that night.

That's not the point I'm arguing. If she makes it known to him that she doesn't want sex, and he continues anyway, that is rape. However, if she gets really drunk, has sex, and regrets it the morning after, it is her own fault. She chose to continue drinking. She chose to go to bed with this guy. Why should she not be held responsible for her actions simply because she drank irresponsibly?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-26, 7:33 AM #95
Most people drink regularly, it keeps us from dying a very dry death
nope.
2005-01-26, 7:46 AM #96
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/martynpie/Im000347cropp.jpg]

↑ Up to the top!