Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pro-America Arab student told to get therapy, details at 10.
Pro-America Arab student told to get therapy, details at 10.
2005-01-26, 12:53 PM #1
This shiz just makes me wanna take a quick cross-country trip to CA to bash this a-hole's skull in.

Story
2005-01-26, 12:55 PM #2
Sucks for him.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-26, 12:59 PM #3
That professor's an ***.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-26, 1:01 PM #4
He loves America out of gratefulness for his family's rescue?
2005-01-26, 1:04 PM #5
Only in California will you find this bull****. God I'm really starting to distaste the people here (exception to those the CA -ians here).
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-26, 1:15 PM #6
My friends in California said people will protest over just about anything.

"That homeless fellow just spat on the sidewalk!"

*2 hours later a large group of people arrive with signs*

"We want to ban the saliva glands of all homeless people! They spread disease!"

^ That didn't really happen, but you get the idea.

Also, that professor should be slapped a few hundred times.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-26, 1:17 PM #7
There's an alternate side of the story from this, the proffesor's point of view.. Ill try to dig it up.

It shed's so much light on the subject, and I'm not really sure who to believe. The student is playing the patriotism card, and the proffesor plays the "This guy's full of crap and is spewing lies" card.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-01-26, 2:20 PM #8
Thats NOT what the story is about.

The story is about an INSTRUCTOR forcing a one sided curriculum down students' throats in an effort to make their opinion supreme.

Not only do I find that sick, I find it pathetic.
2005-01-26, 2:32 PM #9
Good god!

Liberals are taking over the country!

:p

Seriously though, that is pretty screwed up. This guy is a college professor!
Did he get his teaching degree out of a printshop or something?
Its seriously wacked up when people, college professors no less, to suggest a person cannot believe what they want to believe.
:mad:
This makes me so freaking mad!
2005-01-26, 2:35 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
The story is about an INSTRUCTOR forcing a one sided curriculum down students' throats in an effort to make their opinion supreme.

Isn't that what all teachers do to some degree?

One of the most important things I've learned out of school is that when writing a letter of opinion or argumentative text, your skill or mastery of the subject is irrelevant - it's all about knowing your teacher well and writing something he or she agrees with.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-26, 2:36 PM #11
...I hate people who always say that America is bad, this or that. It ain't perfect, but it's not close to being what I would call bad. That professor and that school deserves to have legal action brought against them by that student and other students that have been treated similarly.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-26, 2:37 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor

One of the most important things I've learned out of school is that when writing a letter of opinion or argumentative text, your skill or mastery of the subject is irrelevant - it's all about knowing your teacher well and writing something he or she agrees with.

All teachers do..

But this guy is straight hammering it into their heads that this is the only way it is or ever will be.
2005-01-26, 2:42 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Thats NOT what the story is about.

Not only do I find that sick, I find it pathetic.

That is about every college in America, sadly.

In my time, I have attended courses at 2 community colleges and 2 regular ones, and they all have had professors more interested in pushing their own agendas than teaching their cirriculums.

Where do you think the young, dumb people of america get their ideas from? It starts in H.S., but really hits its stride in college.

*Note - I am not saying anything bad about liberals in particular; I am speaking only to the "tow the line, freedom of speech only for everyone who agrees with me" liberals. Unfortunately, they make up the majority, but I have met some liberals out there, who have the same liberal views, but for very different and well-thought out reasons. I may not agree with them, but I respect them a heck of a lot more; mostly because they also respect people with viewpoints that dissent from their own.

The greatest hypocracy in America today is when you have a party that preaches tolerance, and yet acts horribly intolerant of people who view things differently.
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2005-01-26, 2:43 PM #14
It's interesting - back in the sixties, the students were really radical, while the professors were somewhat conservative. Now, it seems the professors are more radical, while the students are more laid back.

Here in Washington, there was recently a big case where in some poli sci class, a teacher had the students write an essay, detailing why Pres. Bush was a war criminal, and should be tried. Some of the students protest, saying that they felt Bush was not a war criminal, and the teacher promptly flunked them.

In the case of this Arab, I feel that If that professor hates America so much, he can just be expelled from this land, declared persona no grata, and told to make a life somewhere else - like Iraq.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-26, 2:45 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Joren DarkStar
The greatest hypocracy in America today is when you have a party that preaches tolerance, and yet acts horribly intolerant of people who view things differently.

Well, is it really a bad thing to be intolerent of intolerence? Wouldn't the opposite be a contradiction?
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-26, 2:53 PM #16
Quote:
Well, is it really a bad thing to be intolerent of intolerence? Wouldn't the opposite be a contradiction?

No, the contradiction is claiming to be tolerant of people's views, and saying everyone has to be tolerant of other people's views, and then getting upset and accusing people of bad things and calling them horrible names when their view disagrees with your own.

That is where the contradiction and hypocracy is.
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2005-01-26, 2:58 PM #17
Tolerating an opinion doesn't mean agreeing with it, or even respecting it to the slightest. It just means you tolerate it.
2005-01-26, 2:59 PM #18
Quote:
Tolerating an opinion doesn't mean agreeing with it, or even respecting it to the slightest. It just means you tolerate it.

Proof that above statement is false:

Suppose I claim that I'm tolerant of your views yet I do not respect your point of view and even go as far as jeer you.
By the definition of tolerance
1. The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others
I am not showing tolerance of another's opinion, thus I'm showing intolerance. Thus someone who doesn't respect one's beliefs is not tolerant as was to be shown.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-26, 3:01 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf
Wait what?

Edit: beaten on explanation

by "view things differently" I thought he meant on the issue of being tolerent, thus being intolerent, making them intolerent of intolerence. Bah! nevermind :p
2005-01-26, 3:04 PM #20
I feel that those uber-liberal professors that cram their viewpoints down students throats and then grade down term papers, etc on the basis of conflicting opinion should be stripped of their credentials and not be allowed to teach.

I've had that happen to me, and I took it up with the dean and I won.
2005-01-26, 3:06 PM #21
Flexor, you know what I am getting at - twisting what I am saying isn't going to win you any points, you know. :p
2005-01-26, 3:08 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
I feel that those uber-liberal professors that cram their viewpoints down students throats and then grade down term papers, etc on the basis of conflicting opinion should be stripped of their credentials and not be allowed to teach.

Indeed.

I have had a speech class where I was getting an A in it, and then for my final speech, gave something against my teacher's view, and ended up with a C in the class, even though there was no way possible from a grading perspective for me to get a C - worst should have been a low B.

Only thing was, I was too lazy at the time to contest it, and I sort of wore it like a badge of honor - the fact that I stood up for what I believed in for that class was more important to me than the grade.
2005-01-26, 3:08 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS

The same goes to uber-conservative professors.

Oh wait, not them, they meet your agenda.
2005-01-26, 3:12 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf

1. The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others
I am not showing tolerance of another's opinion, thus I'm showing intolerance. Thus someone who doesn't respect one's beliefs is not tolerant as was to be shown.

The term 'respect' has more than one specific meaning. There's respect in the sense of tolerance (live and let live) and respect in the form of aknowledgement, esteem, or appreciation.
2005-01-26, 4:10 PM #25
And this is why I chose to major in the cut-and dry field of Engineering. In engineering, especially electrical and computer, you either do the calculations right or you don't. You may get partial credit.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-26, 4:21 PM #26
I hate people.
2005-01-26, 4:32 PM #27
Quote:

WTF does "tolerate" mean then if not respect for their views? You "tolerate" it? What does that mean? You don't murder the person who is expressing the view or what?
2005-01-26, 4:34 PM #28
What's that wuote along the lines of "I may night believe in your views, but I'll give my life for you to be able to freely express them." It's not exactly right, but you get the idea.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-26, 4:36 PM #29
Expressing != forcing
2005-01-26, 4:48 PM #30
Obviously. We're talking about "tolerate" here.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-26, 5:26 PM #31
Gee, it must be so terrible for all you conservatives to have these professors running your life, telling you what you can do, and whom you may marry as though they were your own personal moral guide.

Oh, wait. They don't. That's the ultra-conservative government that's doing that. Do you have a problem with them not respecting the views of others? Actually, I guess you don't, since they've never bothered to even imply they care one jot what any one else thinks, so it's not really hypocritical when they run everyone else's life, is it?

It's nice to see that intolerance and extreme political views are only offensive when they're contrary to your own intolerance and extreme views.

Incidentally, that site is hardly unbiased when they mention on the front page that "globalisation is America's gift to history". Yeah, right.
2005-01-26, 5:43 PM #32
A similar thing happened in the UK just over a year ago when an Oxford professor refused to accept an Israeli student because of his own political views and because the Israeli had done his national service in the army. http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=%5CForeignBureaus%5Carchive%5C200310%5CFOR20031028d.html

@Avenger, the quote your looking for was by Voltaire, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
2005-01-26, 5:49 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Pate
Gee, it must be so terrible for all you conservatives to have these professors running your life, telling you what you can do, and whom you may marry as though they were your own personal moral guide.

You don't see any problem with what the professor did?
Pissed Off?
2005-01-26, 5:51 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Joren DarkStar
That is about every college in America, sadly.

No, it's not.

That Professer should be fired.
2005-01-26, 5:56 PM #35
He's just getting at theat many college professors use their classrooms to push their agenda. Most cases are not this extreme, but it's true. More and more, colleges are becoming fronts for large companies that give the colleges money to conduct "research". There's currently a an issue along these lines gong on here at Cal, but it's a case of a professor standing up against the biotech industry and getting a lot of pressure for it because it's not the popular view these days.

Quote:
Originally posted by Recusant
@Avenger, the quote your looking for was by Voltaire, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

That was it indeed. Thanks.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-26, 6:10 PM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
The same goes to uber-conservative professors.

Oh wait, not them, they meet your agenda.

The words from my mouth.

But Mathew Pate... No. It's equal on both sides. I definetly have both types of teachers:

Mr. Wanner: Horribly Horribly Horribly subtle sway towards the Democratic side of things. On the other hand, he's completelly willing to have an open descussion in the class, and will respect your opinion if it isn't his. That doesn't mean I'm siding with democratic sways here, just saying Wanner's a great guy.

Mrs. Elser: Horribly Horribly Horribly blunt christianity (Got in trouble for having a cross in her room) and she constantly slips morale into her MATH class. And even posted a picture of bush on her wall with the american stripes behind him. One day I said something like "Jesus!" as in "wow!" and she sent me to the office. Now I can understand being offended, but sending me to the office? Come now. I also commented on the bush poster and asked her why bush's face has now been included with every picture of the american flag, she got angry and had me sit in the hallway for "Talking back" when it wasn't in the middle of a speech, and I didn't say anything more than that. Didn't argue or anything.

It seems I'm more against Esler here, but that doesn't mean that both sides don't do it. I could probably find a very democratic teacher that was as nazistic as Esler. I probably am biased because of my political sway, but I must say, I argue with Wanner a lot more than anyone else. I am a hybrid, if you ask me. It's just that democrats tend to offer me an oppertunity to have my opinion, while Republicans have a SINGLE opinion which must be followed (See Abortion)

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-26, 6:21 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwind
It's interesting - back in the sixties, the students were really radical, while the professors were somewhat conservative. Now, it seems the professors are more radical, while the students are more laid back.

it's because yesterday's hippies are today's teachers FEAR FOR THE CHILDREN
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-26, 6:29 PM #38
Quote:

That's writing for a passing grade, not writing for what you actually believe in or your actual opinions... Not bad if all you want at the current moment is to pass a particular class, but in this case...
2005-01-26, 6:29 PM #39
OK, I'm pretty damn liberal. I read his essay, and I don't agree completely with it, although I think I understand where he's coming from given his past experiences. I'm more compelled to lean toward the professor's views, but that doesn't mean I don't think he (the professor) was out of hand. If the guy wanted to put an alternate viewpoint out there, more power to him. The fact that he recommended psychological treatment is just bad.
I have a signature.
2005-01-26, 6:38 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
I am a hybrid, if you ask me. It's just that democrats tend to offer me an oppertunity to have my opinion, while Republicans have a SINGLE opinion which must be followed (See Abortion)

JediKirby

That is not our only issue. We deal with all sorts of issues such as taxes, economy, foreign policy, domestic policy (social security, et al.) Also, you believe that Republicans would shut you up for expressing your P.O.V.?

↑ Up to the top!