Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → if you had the choice to live forever, would you take it?
if you had the choice to live forever, would you take it?
2005-01-30, 9:55 PM #1
I'm not taking about vampirism here, I'm taking about actual immortality with no catches. (You would be alive, but you could not die and you would immediately heal after any injury. You could also choose to disable your ability to feel pain if you wish. You would not age at all, either. You would not have any inherent weaknesses like vampires do) How would you choose? would you choose to remain fully mortal, or would you choose differently?

Personally, I would not want to live forever, (it would be an empty hollow existence to walk this earth forever the way it is now) but i would be interested in a semi-immortal state, where I would be fully immortal, but for a limited time. I feel that 150-200 years would be long enough for me, anything more would begin to be unbearable. With immortality, I would do insane things for about a year (when you can't die, a whle new realm of fun activities opens up for you :p )
and then I would choose to help people for the remainder.
2005-01-30, 10:01 PM #2
It would be interesting to watch mankind evolve as a society and a species, but I think it would ultimately be too lonely an existence for me. Just give me extreme long life (maybe 1000 years or so)
2005-01-30, 10:02 PM #3
Could I self terminate?
2005-01-30, 10:08 PM #4
I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Eventually I would be rich, and powerful, and I would make people suffer for my enjoyment. That never gets old.
2005-01-30, 10:28 PM #5
I'd take it immediately if I could "self terminate".

If not, probably still would. Imagine how smart you'd be in just 200 years alone.
2005-01-30, 10:33 PM #6
no, seeing everyone i love and care about die while i don't age would be horrific
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-30, 10:35 PM #7
There's at least a 50% chance that you'll watch everyone you love die anyways, so why not at least stay young yourself?
2005-01-30, 10:39 PM #8
I'd do it.

I'd send myself into space...

And explore worlds unknown.
2005-01-30, 10:41 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Overlord
Could I self terminate?

sure, why not?

The only trick would be to decide how to activate this "Kill Switch."
2005-01-30, 10:43 PM #10
Something only you could do, and something that would take a while so you wouldn't get depressed and kill yourself by accident.
2005-01-30, 10:44 PM #11
Revolver to the face!
2005-01-30, 10:50 PM #12
also, how do you actually kill yourself? It would be quite difficult to do if you instantly regenerate.

It would be better to set a time limit and wait until the clock runs out, or so to speak.
2005-01-30, 10:52 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Overlord
Revolver to the face!

Useless. It would be like when the T-1000 gets shot, only you would heal even faster.
2005-01-30, 10:52 PM #14
Page, it would be like flexing or something, it's just something you'd do.
2005-01-30, 10:56 PM #15
immortality is quite enjoyable
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-30, 11:13 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by 7
no, seeing everyone i love and care about die while i don't age would be horrific

Same for me.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-30, 11:19 PM #17
Okay. A question.

Suppose I was literally sitting on a 2,000 gigaton carbon bomb while it was detonated. Even if you were immortal, you'd die. Think about it.

Secondly, if you truly were invulnerable, you could be a supersolider or something.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-30, 11:31 PM #18
I'd do it only if I could self terminate.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-31, 12:02 AM #19
Ok .. what happens when you get caught somewhere and tortured, and since you keep healing when your limbs/appendages/extremeties are cut off you go through the same pain over and over and over and over ...

Can there be the mental power to disable pain when I need to? Also, am I insured that I will not go insane, as well as be invulnerable to any other mental diseases? And that when half of my brain is cut out, when it heals I will retain all memory and intelligence? And that I'll retain memory anyways?

What happens when the universe ends? Will I still be there?
一个大西瓜
2005-01-31, 12:09 AM #20
Going off of PW's original specifications, yes I would. I would have the opportunity to explore and gain knowledge like none other. Sure, everyone will age around me and I will be the same looking ad infinitum. That doesn't bother me. I'm stuck with this figure (barring plastic surgery) anyways. I can't to much about that. The appearance of wrinkles/sagging skin isn't really welcomed either.

What I would try to do, is find what causes my immortality and pass it on to those whom I deem it worthy.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-31, 12:15 AM #21
true immortality would suck. plain and simple. to be unable to die no matter what happened, your body would have to develop a specific memory of everything about itself. so, yeah, you woul dn't lose anything. ever. bleh. the ability to self terminate, to will yourself to die, would be a good idea. as for torture, the body eventually learns to deal with pain...eventually, you'd be able to cope with whatever someone could throw at you. i'd take it only if i got the option to will myself to death. there would be some point when i just wouldn't be able to take life anymore. the human mind just isn't built to take it, and to live forever...would eventually change a person to where they weren't human anymore...hmmmm...that's becoming more of a tough decision the more i think of it...maybe...i'll get back to you on that one...
2005-01-31, 12:18 AM #22
Could we survive without food?
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-01-31, 12:50 AM #23
If I could stay young, hell yes. In fact, I'd do anything for it. Anything.

If I kept aging though, hell no.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-31, 1:41 AM #24
I'd take immortality in a heartbeat, but of course I do want the ability to self-terminate....
And extended mental capasity
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2005-01-31, 1:54 AM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by THRAWN
I'd do it only if I could self terminate.

I agree. All those authors who have written in their fiction that it becomes unbearable over time cannot be wrong...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-31, 2:09 AM #26
i'm myself leaning toward immortality with an exit possiability aka, i can be immortal for as long as i want untill i'm an tired old man who has seen everything then i would go on ahead and go to sleep and pass away

as long as you have the possiability to retain have ultimate control over your body, if existance has became unbearable just wipe your own memory clean or self terminate and varrious other options.

and i think having immortality will end up with you becoming something inhuman, because the mind isn't made for it.
Echoman: If I can create energy from stupidity, the world's power supply will never end...
2005-01-31, 3:06 AM #27
[Insert Planescape:Torment Reference Here]
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-31, 4:11 AM #28
I would be immortal, and I wouldn't care if I could or couldn't kill myself-as long as if I wanted to, I could turn other peolpe immortal to keep me company.
2005-01-31, 4:38 AM #29
the fact is no one can do everything they wish to do in a single life-time, plus there are so many things that I would like to see that I do not believe I will live long enough to see...

live forever yes, ability to kill myself, probably not, I would instead prefer a limit on my life, there would always be the question if you had to kill yourself, "Have I done it all, seen everything", where as with a limit on your life you have no say in the matter, your time is just up.

Its a long period but i'd like to live for around 5000 years, think how far the human race has come in that amount of time, think how far we could go....i'd like the ability to evolve, if for instance the human race becomes something more than it is right now....
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2005-01-31, 4:57 AM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
sure, why not?

The only trick would be to decide how to activate this "Kill Switch."

Yelling "OH DEAR GOD WHY CAN'T I DIE" And a small nuclear bomb in your skull explodes, killing everyone around you :)

I'd love to be immortal just to see the end of the world then float about in space and then eventually see the end of an alien world. Repeat.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-31, 5:10 AM #31
I'm with Mikus; just hang onto all your old stuff so that it becomes valuable, sell it off, get rich off your old gubbins!

And ruling the world with a silent hand would of course ensue.

...Somehow <.<
2005-01-31, 5:11 AM #32
I'd be immortal as long as I could go on a White ship into the West...
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-01-31, 5:32 AM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by James Bond
live forever yes, ability to kill myself, probably not, I would instead prefer a limit on my life, there would always be the question if you had to kill yourself, "Have I done it all, seen everything", where as with a limit on your life you have no say in the matter, your time is just up.

You know... If you had to ask yourself that question, it would directly indicate you are not yet ready to die. That ability would be reserved for the moment there's nothing left and you just let go, with no doubt or remorse.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-31, 5:33 AM #34
Immortality would rock. Though I don't think I'd want to be around for the end of the universe (the possibility of escape aside; I'm rather fond of this universe).
Stuff
2005-01-31, 5:56 AM #35
With the control to self-terminate, yes, I would choose immortality.
2005-01-31, 5:57 AM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Pommy
Ok .. what happens when you get caught somewhere and tortured, and since you keep healing when your limbs/appendages/extremeties are cut off you go through the same pain over and over and over and over ...

Can there be the mental power to disable pain when I need to? Also, am I insured that I will not go insane, as well as be invulnerable to any other mental diseases? And that when half of my brain is cut out, when it heals I will retain all memory and intelligence? And that I'll retain memory anyways?

What happens when the universe ends? Will I still be there?

Since you're physically perfect, you'd be immune to any mental disease, unless you're just a screwed up person in general. For torture, Page, I think would agree, we can amend the specs to say you have the ability to turn off pain. And when the universe ends, yes you'll still be there, but unless you plan on contemplating nothingness forever, that would be a good time to "self-terminate".
2005-01-31, 6:21 AM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki
I'd be immortal as long as I could go on a White ship into the West...

Same with me.
Them elven babes are fine :p
2005-01-31, 7:31 AM #38
Just get me to age 21 when I can buy my own alcohol. I don't want to stay 18 for ever :P
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-31, 7:34 AM #39
I plan on it
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-01-31, 7:36 AM #40
Maybe. Probably not.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!