Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → if you had the choice to live forever, would you take it?
if you had the choice to live forever, would you take it?
2005-01-31, 7:39 AM #41
Quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomen
I plan on it

You and me both. :D
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2005-01-31, 7:53 AM #42
Right now I can honestly tell you I don't want to live another second let alone an eternity.
2005-01-31, 8:00 AM #43
Off topic, but I just read this in your sig mech:

Quote:
There are 10 people in life that understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Thats pretty clever. :o
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2005-01-31, 8:23 AM #44
Forcibly living forever sucks. I'll take the kill-switch option, probably activated by a phrase such as "laputan machine". Then it's a simple case of leccy in the hindbrin. Poof!
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-31, 8:26 AM #45
Enjoy pain-free immortality, plus the ability to regrow severed limbs! It's not unreasonable to have that... some animals can regrow severed parts of their body.

I think there should be a 24-hour wait period on the kill switch, so you can turn it off if you change your mind.
2005-01-31, 8:28 AM #46
I am not a machi--
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-31, 8:54 AM #47
Well, if physically aging is not a problem, I would go for it til I got sick of watching people I love die and have to live through that. Or just get arrested for heinous crimes and sucessfully serve my 400+ year jailtime.

That would own.
Hazard a company one process.
2005-01-31, 9:01 AM #48
Quote:
Originally posted by edicimoh
Well, if physically aging is not a problem, I would go for it til I got sick of watching people I love die and have to live through that. Or just get arrested for heinous crimes and sucessfully serve my 400+ year jailtime.

That would own.

*runs how of jail after his 400 year sentence* Haha! You all su- oh that's right, YOU'RE DEAD! :D

Like I said, I'd love to see the world blow up, then reform my fragments and drift off through space, and eventually falling through the atmosphere of some planet.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-31, 10:21 AM #49
I think it could be a very interesting experience.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-01-31, 11:06 AM #50
Only if I could hibernate for extended periods of time and could cease to exist at any moment.

But if I could just take a glance at the future that would be fine with me as well. I just want to know what happens.
2005-01-31, 3:00 PM #51
By myself? No way.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-31, 3:01 PM #52
No.

And this thread needs a poll.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-31, 3:08 PM #53
The concern about losing loved ones shouldn't really be a problem, as you'd be making a whole load of more loved ones. But it would probably be much more fun (and a better idea generally) to just be a casual observer, living as a bum or something.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-31, 3:20 PM #54
^What Mort Hog said.

Unless ofcourse i meet someone that also is immortal, then we'd be like buddies.... forever.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-01-31, 3:25 PM #55
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
The concern about losing loved ones shouldn't really be a problem, as you'd be making a whole load of more loved ones.
Nothing like tossing aside old loved ones for new ones.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-31, 3:33 PM #56
If there's an afterlife, I gotta say I’d prefer a change of scenery.
2005-01-31, 3:36 PM #57
Quote:
Originally posted by FastGamerr
I am not a machi--

Sticks and stones.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-31, 3:36 PM #58
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Sandyman
If there's an afterlife, I gotta say I’d prefer a change of scenery.

Hence my "World blows up and you drift to another planet" theory

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-31, 3:41 PM #59
It'd be kinda lonely i think.
/fluffle
2005-01-31, 4:52 PM #60
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
Enjoy pain-free immortality, plus the ability to regrow severed limbs! It's not unreasonable to have that... some animals can regrow severed parts of their body.
Screw that. I want the invulnerability that immortality implies, not super fast regeneration. That trumps regeneration + pain resistence since the former is not needed and the latter is included in the package. :p

But yes, I'd take it in a heart beat. Even with out a kill switch. Actually, preferably without it.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-01-31, 4:56 PM #61
I would.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-31, 5:05 PM #62
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
also, how do you actually kill yourself? It would be quite difficult to do if you instantly regenerate.

It would be better to set a time limit and wait until the clock runs out, or so to speak.

explosives? decapitation? drowning?

hey you could light yourself on fire and survive.
2005-01-31, 5:08 PM #63
I wouldn't. I really don't have a reason why.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-01-31, 5:18 PM #64
Depends, would I be able to maintain my youth as an immortal? If so......there can only be one!
2005-01-31, 5:58 PM #65
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
Nothing like tossing aside old loved ones for new ones.

Well, you have an infinite amount of time to get over it. If your grandfather dies, yes you'll be unhappy but you won't spend the rest of your life wallowing in sadness.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-02-01, 12:31 AM #66
I'd take it. I'm a megalomaniac.
MithShrike: First Mateneer
Pimpin' Yerba Mate Drinker
2005-02-01, 12:41 AM #67
I'd probably become a terrible person. Same if I ever become an atheist. Terrible. Person. I would no longer be bound to morality...
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-02-01, 9:11 PM #68
Heck no. I don't think anyone realizes that humans are social. Think of how many friends you would watch die. I couldn't take the offer, because I have already been given the option to live forever without any pain. Between earth and heaven, I choose heaven.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2005-02-01, 10:50 PM #69
Well .. having my questions answered:

Because I am an atheist, I will choose yes. But only if I can be like the people in Dragonball Z, with like, unreasonably good control of my body, and the ability to fly and shoot my energy, which is limitless, out of my appendages. And, the ability to dematerialize, travel as particles at the speed of light to somewhere, and rematerialize.

It's only fun if you're more than a human human.
一个大西瓜
2005-02-01, 11:24 PM #70
Absolutely invincible (as in, if I were straddling a 2,000 gigaton carbon-gravity-ultimabomb when it went off I'd still be able to have hot sex in 20 minutes) and I'd do it.

I don't want to lose a limb every few thousand years and still have to live forever with it.

I think I'd get pretty used to the idea of people dying around me. Well, first - and the obvious - is to fake my own horrible demise anyway. Then I'd spend a few hundred years stealing, committing various sorts of fraud and slaughtering the people I don't like.

Obviously this would all be in disguse. Eventually, when I had enough money and discovered a way to launder it to my new identity, I'd settle down and have kids. Then, magically, I'd name myself as my own heir from "seclusion". All while this happens, teams of investors are working for me to continue to amass my wealth.

Eventually, after about a thousand years of this, I'd name myself Emperor of the Universe. Because, really, I would be. And anybody who tried to stop me would be destroyed.
2005-02-01, 11:45 PM #71
oSiRiS, I am offended by your comment.. i am an athiest, and I still have morals....

and BTW, Yes Yes Yes... definately take it in a second... I have already watched 50% of my family die, and they were my closest family members... I assume you would become immune to it after a while... and as far as friends go.. it would suck, but it'd be kinda like moving away. so YES... Immortality for me.
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-02-02, 1:18 AM #72
Quote:
Originally posted by oSiRiS
I'd probably become a terrible person. Same if I ever become an atheist. Terrible. Person. I would no longer be bound to morality...

Yeah, that's the most ridiculous tripe I've ever heard from you. Though I don't really hold it against you.. I used to have similar feelings until I DID become an atheist, and realized am 100% no different than I was in the morality department.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-02-02, 8:18 AM #73
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
Well, you have an infinite amount of time to get over it. If your grandfather dies, yes you'll be unhappy but you won't spend the rest of your life wallowing in sadness.
Not what I had in mind. But I'd likely end up going through pain of loss over and over again with new people. No thanks.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-02-02, 10:41 AM #74
I think you'd get pretty tired of loving people after a while, so watching your "loved" ones die wouldn't really bother you. Also, after a while, you'd cease being "human"...that is, you may have the same basic physical structure, but after outliving every previous human, any changes that you undergo (psychological, spiritual, etc.) would essentially be redefining what "human" means, or creating something completely different.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-02-02, 10:46 AM #75
Explosives? All your cells and stuff instantly repair themselves and wiz back together.

Drowning? Phht, who needs air when you are invincible!

Decapitation? See explosives. *slice* Hey! That wasn't very nice! *head floats up and sits atop the body*

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-02-02, 10:51 AM #76
No. People are jerks. History has been one big story of pain, suffering and death. I don't want to stick around to see more. For all our problems, the people living in the USA, UK ect. are doing real well right, better than any other people in history. I have my doubts as to how long that will last.
2005-02-02, 11:08 AM #77
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
Right now I can honestly tell you I don't want to live another second let alone an eternity.

He's got my life sorted. ;)
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-02-02, 12:05 PM #78
Just because oS only behaves for fear of the wrath of God doesn't mean he's implying you do too.

↑ Up to the top!