Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Apple pwning Microsoft
Apple pwning Microsoft
2005-02-02, 6:03 AM #1
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,66460,00.html?tw=rss.TOP

Quote:
"About 80 percent of Microsoft employees who have a portable music player have an iPod," said one source, a high-level manager who asked to remain anonymous. "It's pretty staggering."

The source estimated 80 percent of Microsoft employees have a music player -- that translates to 16,000 iPod users among the 25,000 who work at or near Microsoft's corporate campus. "This irks the management team no end," said the source.

:p
2005-02-02, 6:18 AM #2
Not really a big deal, considering that I don't know of any popular Microsoft portable music player that can be compared to the iPod.
2005-02-02, 6:20 AM #3
Microsoft owns 40% of Apple.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-02, 6:24 AM #4
Now, if it were, say, Microsoft.com running on a Linux machine...

Oh, wait...
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-02-02, 6:24 AM #5
I pwn an iPod.
2005-02-02, 6:36 AM #6
It also works the other way, i bet aound 90 % of ipod users use win xp on their computers.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-02-02, 6:47 AM #7
I pwn two copies of XP!

It all fits!
2005-02-02, 6:59 AM #8
What do you expect, to work at MS, you can only buy MS products? :p
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-02-02, 7:02 AM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
Now, if it were, say, Microsoft.com running on a Linux machine...

Oh, wait...

Does it really?
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-02-02, 7:21 AM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by BurrBoy
Does it really?

No, of course not. They use NetBSD.
:master::master::master:
2005-02-02, 7:27 AM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by BurrBoy
Does it really?

No it doesn't. They use akamai for load balancing, and that does use linux or something, but microsoft.com itself uses IIS under windows
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-02-02, 7:57 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by oSiRiS
No it doesn't. They use akamai for load balancing, and that does use linux or something, but microsoft.com itself uses IIS under windows

Oh, okay. I was about to hit myself with a 2x4 of irony.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-02-02, 8:07 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
What do you expect, to work at MS, you can only buy MS products? :p

wouldn't be surprising.

"Hey! that worker has an ipod!"

*suddenly, 20 MS security guards with armbands come out and beat the unfortunate worker to a pulp with their nightsticks*
2005-02-02, 11:25 AM #14
The Scene: A dark, smokelit room. A MS grunt is tied to a chair, with a brihgt light shining in his face

Man #1:"Where did you get this son?"
Grunt: " My...My wife bought for me..."
Man #1" LIAR! You're working for Apple aren't you!"
Grunt" No, No, I'm loyal, I'm loyal!"
Man #1: "We'll just see about that. We have ways of making you talk. Bring him in."
"Grunt" No.....No....NOT CLIPPY!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Finis.....or is it?
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-02-02, 11:27 AM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

If Apple does well, Microsoft is happy. I'm sure they'd encourage employees to have iPods, at least until they develope their own competitive equivalent.
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-02, 11:31 AM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by JDKNITE188
Not really a big deal, considering that I don't know of any popular Microsoft portable music player that can be compared to the iPod.
Pissed Off?
2005-02-02, 11:42 AM #17
Yeah apple is really pwning them good, if MS didn't suck so much it's employees would be buying it's non-existant mp3 player.
2005-02-02, 11:45 AM #18
iPods suck IMHO. Thank you very much.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-02-02, 12:08 PM #19
and... what exactly are you basing your opinion on?
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2005-02-02, 1:44 PM #20
Low battery life, plastic. I suppose it's not the worst thing in the world, but it isn't great.

"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-02-02, 1:59 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
Yeah apple is really pwning them good, if MS didn't suck so much it's employees would be buying it's non-existant mp3 player.

lol. THANK YOU!!!
>>untie shoes
2005-02-02, 2:27 PM #22
Apple I-Pod

-4 Gb
-8 Hours battery life

Creative Jukebox

-40 Gb
-14 Hours battery life

Both $250.

Do the math people.
2005-02-02, 2:38 PM #23
Er, that's the iPod mini. The regular iPod holds ten times as much.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-02-02, 2:42 PM #24
Yes, and I believe the battery life for the 4th gens and the Shuffle are roughly 12 hours. 6-8 hours was the battery life for the 3rd gen.
2005-02-02, 2:42 PM #25
Honestly, what good is 4 GB with only 8 hours of battery life? Every time you recharge you can just put in new songs which you wouldn't be able to listen otherwise anyways.
2005-02-02, 2:45 PM #26
Sony's portable digital audio players supposedly have like a 40 hour battery life. I don't know if it is exactly 40 hours, but in my personal experience it is at least 25-30 hours.
2005-02-02, 2:47 PM #27
The Rio players are still the most appealing to me because of their Vorbis support. There aren't any other (good) players that support this.
2005-02-02, 3:15 PM #28
I like CDs. Anywho, MS may be a bad company but it kills Apple. Apple may have good computer graphics but MS has better everything else. How can MS support their own company when it comes to this if MS doesn't have any decent mp3/music players that i know of? Well I probably don't know enough about the story so I should probably just shutup.
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2005-02-02, 3:36 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
The Rio players are still the most appealing to me because of their Vorbis support. There aren't any other (good) players that support this.

Uh, the iRivers do (not the new H10s though).
2005-02-02, 3:58 PM #30
Quote:

No they dont.

Microsoft has no affiliation with Apple whatsoever, beyond the fact that we use their products and they use ours. That's the only thing they have even in common. If you're using a product by Microsoft on an Apple product, and you call Apple, we tell you to call Microsoft.

Apple has the #1 ranked customer service rating so far, but still... Apple sucks.
2005-02-02, 4:09 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by tinny
It also works the other way, i bet aound 90 % of ipod users use win xp on their computers.

this about kills any discussion as far as i'm concerned.

i know a load of ipod users, none of them own a mac.
2005-02-02, 4:12 PM #32
I do. Now you know one.
2005-02-02, 4:16 PM #33
Quote:

Nope. Most use Mac's. It's the only supported way.
2005-02-02, 4:19 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Temperamental
No they dont.

Microsoft has no affiliation with Apple whatsoever, beyond the fact that we use their products and they use ours. That's the only thing they have even in common. If you're using a product by Microsoft on an Apple product, and you call Apple, we tell you to call Microsoft.

Apple has the #1 ranked customer service rating so far, but still... Apple sucks.

That'd be true, except for the fact that it's false, and Microsoft own 40% of Apple. It's hardly a secret. I asked a Microsoft employee at a seminar if they were worried about the iPod (this was about 6 months ago) and they said that it didn't really matter since they "owned half of Apple anyway".

After some research, I found it was true.
What is this 'real life' you speak of, and where can I download it?
2005-02-02, 4:33 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Temperamental
Nope. Most use Mac's. It's the only supported way.

I bet there were more iPods sold in 2005 than Mac computers in the history of ever.
2005-02-02, 4:36 PM #36
Actually, i've looked at things in a bit more detail.

A few years back Apple was in real financial trouble, this happened to be at the time of the worst of Microsoft's lawsuit troubles. As both a goodwill gesture and an effort to reduce legal pressure, Microsoft bought a reasonable amount of non-voting shares in Apple to give it some capital. Microsoft has since sold those shares but Apple relies quite a bit on sales of Microsoft software on Macs since their own software has always been produced at a loss.

Microsoft does still have a small stake in Apple through a 3rd party investment firm, nowhere near as large as I claimed though.

Either way, the various major software/hardware firms (Microsoft, IBM, Intel, Apple, AMD) all rely on each other in some way yet at the same time are all competitors.
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-02, 4:36 PM #37
Quote:
That'd be true, except for the fact that it's false, and Microsoft own 40% of Apple. It's hardly a secret. I asked a Microsoft employee at a seminar if they were worried about the iPod (this was about 6 months ago) and they said that it didn't really matter since they "owned half of Apple anyway".

After some research, I found it was true.

Considering the fact that I work for Apple...I'd trust that more than research onthe internet and such. Apple is not owned by Microsoft. Microsoft has nothing to do with APple. The guy you were talking to was probably speaking figuratively. The same way when you hear people saying that Microsoft owns half of the world.

If Microsoft owned part of Apple, we wouldn't be denying them support of Microsoft based products, since they would be under ownership my Microsoft, we'd be obligated to support them. Which we dont. Test it, call Apple and tell them you've got a Microsoft product, anything... IE, Outlook Express, Office, anything...They will tell you to call them and then hang up. Microsoft. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. Apple.

What does go on, is like what was just posted above... The companies will team up and produce various products, Apple and Microsoft will work together, but in the end, it's either Apple or Microsoft's product. Not shared.

Quote:
I bet there were more iPods sold in 2005 than Mac computers in the history of ever.

If that's sarcastic, then I'd agree :p

Aside from that, I dunno if I would put much doubt in the statement either. Mac's aren't all that great unless you're doing something media related. And Apple's policies aren't all that great towards their customers either. The OS's are great security wise and such. But I still prefer a PC to Mac. Never would prefer Mac to PC, unles I was making movies, which I'm not. Yet.
2005-02-02, 4:39 PM #38
do you have a listing of the majority shareholders of apple?

just out of curiosity... i know nothing about this.

and really, i dispute your other claim, i know at least 8 or 9 people with ipods, all of them have windows pcs.
2005-02-02, 4:43 PM #39
Quote:
do you have a listing of the majority shareholders of apple?

just out of curiosity... i know nothing about this.

and really, i dispute your other claim, i know at least 8 or 9 people with ipods, all of them have windows pcs.

I don't have a listing of the shareholders of Apple no, but I believe in training they mentioned something about the shares and stuff, but I can't really remember what exactly. I can try to get that information however, but I doubt it will be disclosed to me.

As for the iPod thing, I have no doubt about the whole iPod users using Windows PC's. I said it was the only SUPPORTED way, not the only way. But yeah, still most of the iPod users out there own Macs, or both PC's and Macs.
2005-02-02, 4:46 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by tofu
Uh, the iRivers do (not the new H10s though).

Aren't they solid state? Solid state doesn't appeal to me because of the size limiations that currently exist.

↑ Up to the top!