Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Kids just don't appreciate the finer things...
Kids just don't appreciate the finer things...
2004-04-26, 6:15 PM #1
Such as the classic video games we grew up with.

http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,2053,1487038,00.asp

Personally, after reading the part where they play Tetris, I wanted to kill all of them in order to protect the gene pool.
2004-04-26, 6:22 PM #2
Those pesky kids deserve some spanking.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-04-26, 6:22 PM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">My line is so beating the heck out of your stupid line. Fear my pink line. You have no chance. I am the undisputed lord of virtual tennis.</font>

They may not appreciate the old games - but they're gamers, none-the-less.

------------------
«»The Scratchware Manifesto
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-04-26, 6:30 PM #4
the pong comments were kinda funny..
donkey kong comments were also slightly funny
the electronic football comments made me laugh
the tetris comments deserve brutal death
they didn't insult SMB.. they at least know better.. helps that mario still appears in good games
ET comments are accurate
space invaders
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">John: But you can get this game on a cell phone. Why would you want to pay for it in an arcade?</font>

IDIOT!!!

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Niko: In those days it was like, "Whoa—awesome!" But now…it's no Splinter Cell.

EGM: In those days? What days are those?

Becky: My mom and dad's days. </font>

thanks kids now i feel old

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-04-26, 6:42 PM #5
I remember playing Super Mario B. on a SNES back in the day when I was about 7. We switched off after every level and made it to the final level (the one with all the lava and creepy-sounding music, at least to the best of my memory after all these years) before all our lives ran out. damn.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-04-26, 6:49 PM #6
If they were stranded in a small shack out in the country and the only thing to do was play Pong, they'd like it real quick.

Man, I've got all that stuff. Granted, some of it's on emulator, but I did used to play DK at a redneck restaurant in the area when they had it. One game I've gotten into just because the movie's so frickin cool is TRON.

Off and on for the past month, my room's hosted scores of friends, enemies, and whatnots because I've got both NES and SNES hooked up in here. We've played Duck Hunt, SMB, SMB3, SMW, DKC, Bases Loaded 2...good stuff.
2004-04-26, 6:50 PM #7
I appriciate the old games. Hell, the classics are great fun to play.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-26, 7:11 PM #8
I've gotten addicted to SMB

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album comes out April 20th
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-04-27, 1:12 AM #9
Tetris helped me fit various sized boxes into the trunk of my car when I was moving...

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-04-27, 2:48 AM #10
YOUNG WIPERSNAPERS DON'T KNOW WHATS GOOD FOR THEM!

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.
2004-04-27, 2:48 AM #11
I feel like bashing those kids heads in. Though I'm young, I grew up on a little bit of Atari, Alot of NES, and TONS of Sega Genesis. I still play those systems advidly every week.

I remember when we used to think things were cool when we found a new morph in VectorMan or when Mario got a flower. These kids just piss me off.

------------------
One ring to rule them all. One to find them. One ring ti bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-04-27, 2:55 AM #12
Hasn't this been posted before?

Oh well. It's still pretty annoying. I wasn't around for Pong, but it doesn't suck.

------------------
sig·na·ture n.

A distinctive mark, characteristic, or sound indicating identity.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-04-27, 2:57 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">EGM: Who's that chick Mario is rescuing up there?

Brian: It's Princess Peach.

Kirk: It's a hooker.

Niko: She looks cut in half.

Tim: Oh wow—she's one of those pole dancers.

</font>
yeheheh

------------------
Kroko> Massassi is like Nazi Germany online, only it's not in Germany.
|\|\|\|\|\|
<kak> WHY DO THESE RETARDS CONTINUALLY TRY LINUX?
<kak> IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU COOL.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-04-27, 4:17 AM #14
I think the last time this was posted (quite a while ago) it was decided that the things these kids say do not fit their ages.

"John: He put himself inside your body. He bestowed his life force upon you."

John is 11. If all of this isn't fake, I serverely dislike these kids.

------------------
Bliss is ignorance.
2004-04-27, 4:51 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RingMaster481:
I think the last time this was posted (quite a while ago) it was decided that the things these kids say do not fit their ages.

</font>

I can imagine a kid saying that in reference to a video game.

------------------
www.tednation.tk
2004-04-27, 5:36 AM #16
Quote:

</font>

Yea I don't recall anyone speaking like that when I was 11.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
2) You statement is lacking any clear structure or grammer. Please add these things.</font>

Sweet irony...
/fluffle
2004-04-27, 5:42 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mister_Sinister:
Such as the classic video games we grew up with.

http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,2053,1487038,00.asp

Personally, after reading the part where they play Tetris, I wanted to kill all of them in order to protect the gene pool.
</font>

I refuse to believe this is happening! - It should be a legal requirement that, before you buy any piece of gaming kit, you get up to date on the rich history of videogaming first and take an exam. Ha.

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-04-27, 5:43 AM #18
What if they are gifted?

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-04-27, 7:10 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Molgrew:
What if they are gifted?

</font>

If they were gifted they would like tetris. Because I said so. The end.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-04-27, 7:12 AM #20
You know what the best was? Breakout. Oh yeah!

------------------
sig·na·ture n.

Ban Jin!
2004-04-27, 7:37 AM #21
Code:
[]
[][]
[]

[]
      []
      []
    [][]

[]
[][]    [][]  [] [][]
[][][][][][][][] [][]
[][][][][]  []   [][]

I love Tetris. Yay for Russia!

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

------@%

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited April 27, 2004).]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-04-27, 7:46 AM #22
this is really really old news. But yes, those kids are deprived.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-04-27, 8:01 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">John: I'm just going to do this [twists the paddle controller as rapidly as possible].

Tim: John, don't do that. You'll die.</font>
Hahahahaha!
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Tim: My line is so beating the heck out of your stupid line. Fear my pink line. You have no chance. I am the undisputed lord of virtual tennis. [Misses ball] Whoops.</font>
ROFL!!
Quote:
I think the last time this was posted (quite a while ago) it was decided that the things these kids say do not fit their ages.</font>
I'm actually surprised at what kids so young know and say these days.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sats:
Yea I don't recall anyone speaking like that when I was 11.</font>
Maybe you were to busy playing pong. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
/Budum-Ching.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-27, 8:32 AM #24
First of all, I really don't think those kids said all that. Second, if it is real, it's so sad. Kids have so little imagination now than they used to. Poor brainwashed *******s.

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2004-04-27, 8:51 AM #25
Man, I never thought I would advocate Kranky Kong in Donkey Kong Kountry. Man, he knew what he was talking about, didn't he?

(edit) and on a side note, I still have that handheld football game in working condition.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"

[This message has been edited by Outlaw Torn (edited April 27, 2004).]
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-04-27, 9:52 AM #26
Must... kill! I used to have that handheld football game. What fun. *fondness* And they didn't even respect SMB? Sopace Invaders?! Come on... :[
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-04-27, 9:54 AM #27
Yep, most of us kids are jackasses when it comes to games. I LOVE the classics, and I wish I could still get that old game, Battle Zone or something. It was a bunch of green and black blocks made into a sprite tank shooter. It was r0x0rz!!

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Tetris
Arcade • 1988
Spawned in Russia and the target of hundreds of imitators, Tetris is the original superaddictive puzzle game.

Tim: Which button do I press to make the blocks explode?

EGM: Sorry, they don't explode.

Becky: This is boring. Maybe if it had characters and stuff and different levels, it would be OK. If things blew up or something or—

Sheldon: If there were bombs.

Becky: Yeah, or special bricks. Like, if a yellow brick touched a red brick it would blow up and you'd have to start over.

John: Why haven't I won yet? I've paired up so many of the same color.

EGM: Don't worry about colors.

John: I just lined up six of the same color. Why didn't they blow up?

EGM: Nothing blows up.</font>

[spaz]YOU DIE! YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE! YOU BUUUURN! NEVER, EVER INSULT TETRIS! IF YOU DO THEN YOU DIE!! [/spaz]

------------------
Titan A.E.

Words of wisdom:
"l33t 1s g00d 1n sm4ll d0s3s,
but 1t 1s 4 drug, 4nd drugz 4r3 3v1l!
"
Titan A.E.
2004-04-27, 9:58 AM #28
I would love to get the reactions of those kids if they played TetriSphere. I played that for *days*.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-27, 2:07 PM #29
Kids these days have no respect...

Although....

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Sheldon: Hurry, make him die!

Gordon: Please.

[E.T. finally dies—general clapping and hurrahs]

Andrew: Eeeeeteeeee phone home.</font>

By the way, I'm surprised the one kid that knew the E.T. games were buried in New Mexico.

By the way, this article was longer in EGM.
2004-04-27, 2:18 PM #30
Back in U.S. History, me and a classmate would load up tetris on our TI-83 and TI-85 respectively and play against each other. I ended up with some 20K+ at one time (scoring wasn't heavily weighted. A tetris got > 1K if you were at level 4 or so.)

Ahh those were the days.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-04-27, 2:32 PM #31
Quote:
Quote:
John: The graphics are simple. At least the screen actually moves in this game.
Tim: Which button do I press to make the blocks explode?
Sheldon: No! No! Not E.T.! Kill! Kill! Kill E.T.! Glock E.T.!
</font>

Wow, how can these kids be called gamers? All they care about is violence and graphics. I think real gamers would care about gameplay and fun in a game as well? I'm sick of hearing kids say "when is something going to explode" or "when is something going to bleed out of it's eye?" I remember when ever I started up the old NES, all I could think about was getting Mario to world 8 before I had to go to bed. Good Times, Good Times...

P.S.-How the crap does a 13 year old know what a Glock is?
2004-04-27, 2:33 PM #32
Quote:
Quote:
Kirk: Piss on it.
Tim: That had nothing remotely to do with this. They had, like, laser guns that turned people into monkeys. What the hell is that?
Kirk: It's a hooker.
Kirk: Quit falling into the stupid pit, you piece of s***!
</font>

Ok, is it just me or do these kids have foul mouths. Their parents need to take a bar of soap to them or at least beat some since into them. If I said anything like that, I would be in a world of hurt.I have come to the conclusion that if these kids ever become future game designers or developers, then this is the last generation of good games we will ever see. Mostly because these kids want nothing but violence, bloodshed, and lack anything remotely close to an imagination. Hopefully there are some young kiddies out there that still like classics like Mario and Pong...
2004-04-27, 2:41 PM #33
Cosmic, just go looking around the net. You can find a million Shockwave/Flash BattleZone-clones.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">P.S.-How the crap does a 13 year old know what a Glock is?</font>

Didn't you notice how they were mentioning GTA3, Splinter Cell, etc.? Their parents obviously let them play M rated games.

[This message has been edited by Mister_Sinister (edited April 27, 2004).]
2004-04-27, 2:59 PM #34
Tetris is perhaps the most devastating weapon ever unleashed in the Cold War... I can't remember how much time I've spent playing it, on numerous systems... Their words speak of their utter ignorance. It's a shame what the new generation of gamers is turning out to be. I remember back around 1999, when I was truly enraged when kiddies like them thought that "3D" made games instantly better than two dimensional games, especially when the engines then could not compete with beautifully drawn sprite-based graphics.

Also, most of today's games are too pathetically easy, and short. I don't care how "realistic" a game looks, I'm not dropping between 30 and 60 dollars on a game that will take less than 10 hours to beat, and on my first try, I will beat it flawlessly, with my eyes closed, and could still do it with one hand tied behind my back, and the other cut open and immersed in Dave's Insanity Sauce.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-04-27, 3:04 PM #35
Ive known what a Glock is since I was like, 10:/

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-04-27, 3:33 PM #36
I knew what a Glock was at 13. I didn't find out about it from a game though. It was from a book about guns. (Great book! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif])

------------------
sig·na·ture n.

Ban Jin!
2004-04-27, 3:35 PM #37
I believe I was 12 when I learned what a Glock was. I "asked an adult", after reading a newspaper article involving a police accident.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
2004-04-27, 3:45 PM #38
Geez, these kids are like 12 and 13! Somebody should wash their mouths out with soap X_x

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-04-27, 3:49 PM #39
Personally, I think they should just be kept away from their precious new games for about 6 months... That'll fix them!

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."
2004-04-27, 5:12 PM #40
at least they do recognize a truly crap game

these kids will go on with life with the knowledge of how much ET sucks

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!