Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ewwwwwww. Spider (I think) Help. Now!!!
Ewwwwwww. Spider (I think) Help. Now!!!
2004-04-30, 12:16 PM #1
Well on the 29th a cat wandered onto my deck, as we speak my brother is posting papers all over the place, so whoever lost it can get their cat back (no collar, it's no stray it's very very well groomed) anyway, I was petting the cat when all of a sudden I look in his food bowl (Neighbor who has a cat gave us some food for it) and notice a piece of food that doesn't look the same as the rest. It looks like a coffee bean, it's maybe a little bigger. So I don't want to pick it up, because it looks rubber like. So I pick it up with a toothpick instead. It stabs through it like a fork stabs through a sausage or something. I show my dad, and he says "uhh it's alive" "WHAT?!" I look at it, it looks like it has 8 legs and a small head painted on to it. They don't even stick out much..They are wiggling around! Is it a pregnant spider or something? I mean, it's not just part of the spider, it's the entire spider! IT's just this fat plasic like bean, with these little stubs on it. They dont even reach the ground. WTF is this. The wind blew it away and now I'm afraid it's going to hatch like 800 trillion babies...well maybe 798 trillion, It does have a bloody hole in it now :/ HELP ME! WHAT IS THIS?!

Sorry about the blurry pics, you can kind of see it's stubby arms...kind of..

[http://yoshmaista.shockzero.com/spider.jpg]
[http://yoshmaista.shockzero.com/spider2.jpg]

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
Originally posted by Elana14: i would love a dong like that!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited April 30, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-04-30, 12:30 PM #2
It's called a tick. You haven't seen one before?
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-04-30, 12:33 PM #3
[http://www.lymelink.com/images/pin.jpg]

Something like this, right?
It means it's been feeding and it's full o' blöööd.

------------------
Lost in a flood, run red with your blood

I've just locked an open door. Strange, yet symbolically compelling!
2004-04-30, 12:53 PM #4
Not just that, it's a full tick

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-30, 12:53 PM #5
You've seriously never seen a tick before?

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 12:54 PM #6
GAH!!! I went upstairs to eat, then my brother goes out to pet the cat, he says "Is this a tick?" I think he found 2. Right after that I go downstairs and look at your posts. FREAKY! I bet that huge tick fell off the cat when he was eating!!! EWWWWW! I just took a really long shower.

------------------
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
2004-04-30, 12:56 PM #7
I've seen a TICK [http://www.paulcuni.com/ct/images/wildlife/tiny-tick.jpg] ...just not a TICK [http://www.paulcuni.com/ct/images/wildlife/fat-tick.jpg]

------------------
2004-04-30, 1:02 PM #8
I find it strange that a full tick would be in the cats food dish. They don't just fall of unless they're dead.

?

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."

National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited April 30, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 1:11 PM #9
Uh? Really?

I thought they fell off when they've had their fill.

*shudders* I remember one time a few years ago when I was at our summer cabin by the lake. I was sweating in the sauna and I noticed I had one attached on my inner thigh. Gyah. Close call. They go for warm humid spots (armpits, crotch etc.). I burned that 'lil f***er right off.
2004-04-30, 1:15 PM #10
Nope. My dog has had ticks a few times, and I'd never seen one just fall off. I'm too much of a pansy to just pull 'em off.

When they've had their fill, I think they just stop sucking, but stay attached.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited April 30, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 1:20 PM #11
This things a** was the size of Julia Roberts lips, freaking huge, no way it could have stayed on, its freaking stubs for arms didnt reach past its jelly stomach.

EWWW TICKS ARE NASTY! I hate them. What if a tick was on a guy with HIV or something, then it gets on me or something. Bah, I like Summer weather, but I hate bugs! And I hate winder weather. I CANT WIN!!!!!

------------------
2004-04-30, 1:31 PM #12
Ticks suck because you can't squish them unless they're full, and if you squish them when they're full, they go SPLAT. That's why you should use a knife.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged
2004-04-30, 1:32 PM #13
Why cant you squish them before they are full?

------------------
2004-04-30, 1:38 PM #14
Ticks should be removed as soon as you see them. They are carriers of diseases like borelia, which neither you OR your dog want. The sonner you get rid of them, the better.

And they DO fall off when they're full.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-04-30, 1:46 PM #15
[http://www.uku.fi/~holopain/stt/Ixodes-ricinus.jpg]
*shudder*

------------------
MadQuack has a signature.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-04-30, 1:49 PM #16
Mano you realize it's very rare for regular Wood Ticks to carry any type of disease? Deer ticks on the other hand..

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2004-04-30, 1:53 PM #17
Is that a close up on someones skin or a carpet? Whatever it is, it's bloody.

------------------
2004-04-30, 1:56 PM #18
meh, go walk in the woods in the summer [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
my comical moment came from that he didn't know what it was

------------------
Kroko> Massassi is like Nazi Germany online, only it's not in Germany.
|\|\|\|\|\|
<kak> WHY DO THESE RETARDS CONTINUALLY TRY LINUX?
<kak> IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU COOL.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-04-30, 1:58 PM #19
[http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jvmuell/the-tick.gif]

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-04-30, 2:02 PM #20
You know you've been playing computer and been inside too much...

When you've never seen a friggin' tick..

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2004-04-30, 2:06 PM #21
pulling them off is a bad idea. However, just take a match, light it, blow it out, and quickly touch the still-hot end to the tick, and it should let go.

they are nasty little b@stards, to be sure. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-04-30, 2:42 PM #22
SAJN_Master, you are the host. Be polite.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

------@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-04-30, 3:09 PM #23
So exactly how do get a tick off of a cat? I tried putting some vaseline on it, but the cat wouldn't stay still enough for me to get a good look at it.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-04-30, 3:12 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Is that a close up on someones skin or a carpet? Whatever it is, it's bloody.

</font>

I think it's sand.

Also, I've never seen a tick. Only pictures.

------------------
MadQuack has a signature.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-04-30, 3:25 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Why cant you squish them before they are full?

</font>

They're too flat. You can drop a lead brick on them and they just get up and walk away when you take it off.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged
2004-04-30, 3:34 PM #26
what he said

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-04-30, 4:19 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Mano you realize it's very rare for regular Wood Ticks to carry any type of disease? Deer ticks on the other hand..

</font>

The whole "ticks = disease" thing is blown way out of proportion... odds are, you probably dont have to worry about it. My dog gets ticks all the time whenever we take him for walks in the woods.

The lit match thing will get them off, also sometimes if you hold a paper towel that has been soaked in warm water, they will attach themselves to that instead. If you are really concerned, you can take the tick to a doctor or vet and usually they will test it for you.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage | Cantina Cloud
2004-04-30, 5:09 PM #28
Right, but is it really a good idea to hold a lit match to a cat's throat or behind its ear?
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-04-30, 5:27 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JASRCC_Uber0010:
Right, but is it really a good idea to hold a lit match to a cat's throat or behind its ear?</font>

Read a bit more carefully next time:

You light the match, put it out, and put the hot tip on the tick.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-04-30, 6:01 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
[http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jvmuell/the-tick.gif]

</font>

A secret message! From my teeth!!!!

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-04-30, 6:19 PM #31
I got attacked by this thing.....

[http://htomc.dns2go.com/anim/anim/guardian.gif]

.....killed it with my barehands. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Fear, It Controls The Fearful. The Strong. The Weak. The Innocent. Fear Is My Ally!

The Arcane Sith
2004-04-30, 6:22 PM #32
Ticks clamp on with their teeth, not their feet, which is why even a full tick (like that lovely one Flirb posted) can be a pain to get off.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-04-30, 7:54 PM #33
And their sucker (or whatever it is) is hooked so you can't pull it straight out

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-30, 8:02 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
And their sucker (or whatever it is) is hooked so you can't pull it straight out

</font>

and if you do yank hard with tweezers, you just pull the body off and the head just keeps grabbing you. To eliminate infection, oyu then have to dig the head out with a knife.

I found this out the hard way when I was camping once. I got a large tick on my arm, and I made the mistake of pulling it off. naturally, the head was still stuck. I had to take my pocketknife,heat it up in the fire to sterilize it, and then dig it out with that. After that, I had a small hole in my arm that took about a week and a half to completely heal over.

I definitely don't recommend this, people. Using the match is easier and hurts MUCH less, trust me.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-04-30, 8:26 PM #35
Your best bet is to hold the tip of a pin to a flame and use that..

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-04-30, 9:48 PM #36
I've had ticks many times, just rub the area around it with pure alcohol, that'll paralyse the damn thing, so it gets off your arm with ease.

[This message has been edited by gothicX (edited May 01, 2004).]
2004-04-30, 9:50 PM #37
god those are gross ive never seen a tick in real life lucky for me but i have watched misquotos fill up with blood on my arm thats an interesting site

------------------
aim: shishnit07
msn: diamondcoconut@hotmail.com
aim: shishnit07
msn: diamondcoconut@hotmail.com
2004-04-30, 10:27 PM #38
Putting something thick and sticky on them works too, like peanut butter. It forces them to pull their head out to breathe.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-05-01, 12:24 AM #39
You should never ever try to get rid of a tick with this matchstick-trick or with something sticky. Then they normaly "vomit" into you and are more likely to get a disease. Just pull it gently off with tweezers as close to the head as possible.

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-05-01, 1:36 AM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
You've seriously never seen a tick before?

</font>

Seconded.
AND your Dad didn't know what it was?? O_o

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
Your best bet is to hold the tip of a pin to a flame and use that..

</font>

Yeah that's what we always do at my house...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Impi:
You should never ever try to get rid of a tick with this matchstick-trick or with something sticky. Then they normaly "vomit" into you and are more likely to get a disease. Just pull it gently off with tweezers as close to the head as possible.

</font>

I have no clue about the validity of that, so you may very well be entirely correct, but the logic behind using a heated pin-tip is that the heat causes them to let go, lessening the risk of having the body seperate from the head and cause an infection.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited May 01, 2004).]
Do you have stairs in your house?

↑ Up to the top!