Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Florida: Shoot first, maybe ask questions later
Florida: Shoot first, maybe ask questions later
2005-04-07, 10:22 AM #1
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050406/ts_alt_afp/uscrimeguns_050406201103
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-04-07, 10:24 AM #2
We need a "Florida" tag, kind of like Fark. Of course in this case, a "Dumbass" or "Scary" tag would work just as well.

I'm never going to Disney World after this.
Stuff
2005-04-07, 10:32 AM #3
awesome. :)
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-04-07, 10:35 AM #4
Well Florida has George Bush's brother as Governor, so i guess hes's a gun nut too...
nope.
2005-04-07, 10:36 AM #5
I think we know where Gredo was from.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-04-07, 10:38 AM #6
But...Han shot first! :D
2005-04-07, 10:40 AM #7
I'm going to move there.

Once I get a bulletproof vest, that is.

Or perhaps I'll just walk around in a bulletproof glass bubble.

Or some other equally dumb idea.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-07, 10:58 AM #8
That is ridiculous. If your life is not being threatened (i.e. - intention is theft, not murder) you should be held responsible for your actions even if it is in defense of your property.

Life, even that of a criminal > stuff

As I said before, in the case of your life being threatened, I agree with the shoot first ask questions later. However, I'm against having an armed populace at all. But since that's not going to change anytime soon, I'd rather let the good guys have more guns than the bad guys.

Criminal Life < Innocent Life
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-04-07, 11:26 AM #9
Look at it this way, it'll cost less to run jails as there would be less people in them :D
2005-04-07, 11:28 AM #10
So wait wait, I wonder, if I break into someone's house and they pull a gun on me, can I shoot them and say "I felt threatened"?
2005-04-07, 11:37 AM #11
uh... no. Because you were the "threatener." Being on someone else's property would prove it in that situation, too.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-07, 11:57 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
I think we know where Gredo was from.

France. I come from France.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-04-07, 11:58 AM #13
Heh, this will make home a little interesting. :D
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-04-07, 12:07 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
uh... no. Because you were the "threatener." Being on someone else's property would prove it in that situation, too.

Thieves have sued homeowners for hurting themselves in that person's home for being injured in the home, and they've won.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-07, 12:20 PM #15
That's because Tort low places a degree of liability on home-owners that applies even to uninvited guests. Hence beware of dog signs, etc. The highest responsibility is toward invited guests (you have the responsibility to put duct-tape over tears in the carpet if a guest will be over, at a party you might have to go as far as to put warning signs if your stairs are steep, etc.).

In places like Texas and Florida such ideas as the rights of trespassers are not held in high regard by the courts, though.

In NY, for instance, if you attack or shoot a robber in the back while he's leaving your home, or if the courts determine no one's life was in danger, you will be charged with manslaughter if he dies, or assault if he lives.

The cops'd shake your still-bloodied hand in certain other states.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-04-07, 12:24 PM #16
Florida already has a law in place that allows residents to "shoot to kill" any unknown people who invade their homes. IMO, that law is sensible enough already. This new bill may be a bit over the top.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-07, 12:24 PM #17
*buys a gun and moves to Florida*

*waits for Jeb to piss him off*

*shoots Jeb*

*doesn't go to jail*
2005-04-07, 12:25 PM #18
Oi.

:rolleyes:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-04-07, 12:45 PM #19
I'm moving to florida
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-04-07, 12:56 PM #20
Makes you re-think going into someone's yard to get the puck, that's for sure.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-07, 1:02 PM #21
I think some of you may misunderstand this law. I don't believe that Yahoo isn't wording it properly; you are not authorized to shoot someone because 'you think they might be scary.' In this case, "perceive as a threat" is toning it down considerably. Under the current law, you could be taken to court if you shot someone who pulled a knife on you. Under this law, you're legally allowed to defend yourself and your family without running away first. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Schming
That is ridiculous. If your life is not being threatened (i.e. - intention is theft, not murder) you should be held responsible for your actions even if it is in defense of your property.

Life, even that of a criminal > stuff

As I said before, in the case of your life being threatened, I agree with the shoot first ask questions later. However, I'm against having an armed populace at all. But since that's not going to change anytime soon, I'd rather let the good guys have more guns than the bad guys.

Criminal Life < Innocent Life

This law isn't changing the proper application of deadly force; it's saying that you don't need to attempt to run from someone who's threatening you. Under the old law, unless you were at home (or in your car, IIRC), you'd have to try and evade your assailant before the use of deadly force was permitted. Under the new law, if someone pulls a knife on me, I can shoot him. I don't have to run. That's the way it should be.

Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Florida already has a law in place that allows residents to "shoot to kill" any unknown people who invade their homes. IMO, that law is sensible enough already. This new bill may be a bit over the top.

Again..this isn't expanding the situations in which deadly force may be used..it's expanding the area. If anything, it will reduce crime.

+1 for Florida..not quite as good as Arizona yet (open carry without a permit is legal), but it's getting there. :)
woot!
2005-04-07, 1:05 PM #22
I am moving to Florida.
2005-04-07, 1:07 PM #23
*sees Rob, feels threatened, and shoots him*
2005-04-07, 1:07 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Z@NARDI
I'm moving to florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
I am moving to Florida.

Man..I'm ahead of the game this time.. ;)

PARTY!
woot!
2005-04-07, 1:08 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
*sees Rob, feels threatened, and shoots him*

*sigh*

Read my post..please..many people are going to blow this way out of proportion.
woot!
2005-04-07, 1:24 PM #26
I guess we have to see what happens. But pretty much any issue involving guns forces some people to worry too much.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-04-07, 1:32 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by CadetLee
*sigh*

Read my post..please..many people are going to blow this way out of proportion.

Dude, don't you think I know that? I was only joking.

*sigh*
2005-04-07, 2:16 PM #28
Quote:
Dude, don't you think I know that? I was only joking.

*sigh*

You never can tell around these parts.. ;)
woot!
2005-04-07, 2:19 PM #29
I still feel like moving to Florida, though. :p
2005-04-07, 2:24 PM #30
Quote:
I still feel like moving to Florida, though. :p

Now if everybody would just /do/ it, we'd have an army.. ;)
woot!
2005-04-07, 2:40 PM #31
I wish they had this in colorado :p
2005-04-07, 2:49 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by CadetLee
Again..this isn't expanding the situations in which deadly force may be used..it's expanding the area. If anything, it will reduce crime.

Good point.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-07, 4:24 PM #33
If someone does threaten you, the sensible thing is to run away. The only thing this will do is to encourance people to stand and fight, which is dangerous and stupid for all involved.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-04-07, 4:27 PM #34
I think it's great. Make some dip****s in this world think twice about messing with your stuff.
2005-04-07, 4:30 PM #35
Is your stuff really worth killing someone over?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-04-07, 4:38 PM #36
Depends what they wanna steal
nope.
2005-04-07, 4:44 PM #37
For some reason, I'm reminded of the fight scene in Anchorman.

Even though that was Cali.

:confused:
D E A T H
2005-04-07, 4:47 PM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by Schming
That's stupid. If someone's in my house that I didn't allow or invite in, I'm using a gun (or at least a baseball bat). Tell me, how do you plan to know the intentions of the person? They could be there to steal your plasma tv, or rape your daughter, and by the time you figure it out, it could be too late. What are you going to do, as them politely not to track any mud on the carpet? :rolleyes:
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-04-07, 5:01 PM #39
It's a stupid law. If you're able to avoid shooting someone by simply, you know, trying to get away, there's no rational reason to legally protect you if you decide you'd rather kill your assailant.
2005-04-07, 5:19 PM #40
right, until they stab you in the back when you turn away.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.

↑ Up to the top!