Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → RIAA = Satan
RIAA = Satan
2005-04-12, 6:28 PM #1
RIAA being more annoying that ever.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Maybe if the RIAA put all of the money they pour into legal fees into lowering the exorbitant prices they charge, people would be more willing to actually buy music. They are stuck in the past instead of adapting to new technology. I really wanna know how they got onto the college network.

Yes, I realise pirating music and movies is bad, but this story just made me rather mad.

[/rant]
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-04-12, 6:34 PM #2
Yeah, before people pirated just because music is too expensive for teens with little to no income... now its just because everyone likes pissing them off and they deserve all they get stolen now... they need to learn that its them that needs to compromise, not the people.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2005-04-12, 6:38 PM #3
Quote:
How much faster? Internet2 researchers once demonstrated they can download a DVD-quality copy of the popular movie "The Matrix" in 30 seconds over their network, a feat they said would take roughly 25 hours over the Internet.

isn't that about the speed that the RITians get?

[edit]
Quote:
The RIAA said the 18 schools include Boston University, Carnegie Mellon University, Columbia University, Drexel University, the Georgia Institute of Technology, Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Michigan State University, New York University, Ohio State University, Princeton University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of California-Berkeley, the University of California-San Diego, the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Southern California.

yep[/edit]
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-04-12, 6:55 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki
isn't that about the speed that the RITians get?

RIT's backbone can for sure, but we're all on a 100 Mbps LAN...so 30 seconds for a compressed or ripped movie, like 700 MB, is more realistic. Infact it takes more like 1-2 minutes for a full movie.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-04-12, 6:56 PM #5
not that you've tried it, of course
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-04-12, 7:02 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
RIT's backbone can for sure, but we're all on a 100 Mbps LAN...so 30 seconds for a compressed or ripped movie, like 700 MB, is more realistic. Infact it takes more like 1-2 minutes for a full movie.

Oh boo hoo :p
2005-04-12, 7:05 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki
not that you've tried it, of course

Umm... no, of course not :em321:

I only have 1-3 movies at any given time (deleted after watching), while my roommate is upwards of 60, and still climbing. Guys down the all burn everything to DVDs.

[edit]Also, I don't share squat[/edit]
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-04-12, 7:08 PM #8
RIAA once again fighting a forest fire with a bucket of water.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-04-12, 7:11 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkjedibob
[edit]Also, I don't share squat[/edit]

Why not? The I2 hub and RIT DC hubs are completely free of RIAA supoena *** rapage.
2005-04-12, 7:13 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
Why not? The I2 hub and RIT DC hubs are completely free of RIAA supoena *** rapage.

I'm on both, mainly because the DC hub is tempmental and only started letting me on a couple weeks ago, and doesn't always let me on. I also only get on if I want something, I don't sit there for hours on end like some people do. People have uploaded from me twice all year.
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-04-12, 7:15 PM #11
Quote:
We cannot let this high-speed network become a zone of lawlessness

For some reason I found that funny...

ZONE OF LAWLESSNESS
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-04-12, 7:32 PM #12
Um, I still fail to see why exactly the RIAA are being classified as Satan for this...

I've paid literally $1000's for my entire CD collection, yet these college kids (I live like 15 mins from GA Tech) can download that much in less than a week. How is that right?

Yeah, we all know the perks and negatives of the internet and music. No point to discuss that again.

Fact is it just isn't right how people feel they can take what is not legally theirs.

Gas is getting awful high in price, I think I'll just goto the gas station and fill up and drive away without paying. Gas is required for some stuff, but I could always just ride a bike for myself. Instead I will just take gas I haven't paid for.

It's not like the RIAA is targeting people downloading 1 song. They are targeting the people who have a huge number of mp3's (most they probably have not paid for).

If you don't like it - don't download and you have nothing to complain about. Music = Entertainment, not a necessity. You might not like the price, but I don't like the price on many things. However, that is your decision what you spend your money on. That does not give you a right to just take it.
2005-04-12, 9:42 PM #13
i broke off my ties with that organization a long time ago
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-04-12, 10:20 PM #14
Guys, discussion of this topic is ok, but please dont post stuff about specific servers, or stuff that you've downloaded. Thanks.
2005-04-12, 11:07 PM #15
I buy music when I can, but I still download quite a bit. Usually I only download stuff by successful bands, stuff I can't find in stores, and stuff I'm not sure I'll even like. Most of the time, if I like what I download, I'll buy it. Examples:

-Downloaded Lateralus, have since bought all Tool albums (including Lateralus, but not Salival)

-Downloaded several No Doubt songs, have since bought all No Doubt albums

I could go on, but I'm lazy. My point is, I think "piracy" helps stimulate music sales.
2005-04-12, 11:43 PM #16
mirc owns.
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-04-13, 12:09 AM #17
I use mIRC (currently running three windows) but never use it for file sharing, that's asking for spam.
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-04-13, 6:51 AM #18
Yet stores like Amazon, iTunes, and Napster allow you to preview songs completely legally - so why download the entire song?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-13, 8:06 AM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbert006

Maybe if the RIAA put all of the money they pour into legal fees into lowering the exorbitant prices they charge, people would be more willing to actually buy music.

I agree. I place the RIAA on the same level as the cartel or the mafia.

I'm happy to see them going after small-time file sharers, b/c they are wasting their time with people that use kazaa or other p2p. It just draws attention away from the real scene and all the important release groups.
2005-04-13, 11:38 AM #20
I usually check out a song before buying an album- but I check out the songs by going to the artist's webpages, which usually give out 1 or 2 for free!
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2005-04-13, 11:47 AM #21
*shrug*

I've bought several CDs that I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't downloaded songs first..
woot!
2005-04-13, 12:00 PM #22
I agree with D_N here, physical or virtual, stealing is stealing. I use iTunes, and the preview feature is nice, but it can't always preview the part of a song you might like most, especially really long techno songs, for example. So I can understand people downloading to fully preview things.

I just think the cons outweigh the pros. Just think, those 400+ students being sued, if the lawsuits are a success for the RIAA, their life is pretty much over, wether they serve actual jail time (doubtful) but even if they don't, they're going to be very much in debt, and you can bet they're definitely expelled from school.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-04-13, 12:04 PM #23
most of what i download anymore are live recordings and stuff like that... or if i have it on cassette or vinyl i might look for a good lossless rip ...before anyone says "just rip it yourself" ripping from cassette always produces weak sound quality and ripping vinyl is pointless if you don't have decent analog to digital converters on your hardware plus it's easier to download anyway...
2005-04-13, 12:26 PM #24
Quote:
Maybe if the RIAA put all of the money they pour into legal fees into lowering the exorbitant prices they charge, people would be more willing to actually buy music.[/rant]

Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
I agree. I place the RIAA on the same level as the cartel or the mafia.

They are. RIT has a partnership with Ctrax, a digital music downloading service that offers free unlimited legal downloads for the first 3000 people to sign up, and unlimited legal downloads for only $2.99 a month for everyone after those first 3000 who signs up.
2005-04-13, 12:26 PM #25
I actually kinda support the RIAA here, 400 students and 1.5million illegal songs alone between them. 1.5 MILLION. Granted, this probally won't do anything, and is just plain wrong, but 1.5 million songs among 400 students is enough to warrant a lawsuit.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-04-13, 12:52 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
They are. RIT has a partnership with Ctrax, a digital music downloading service that offers free unlimited legal downloads for the first 3000 people to sign up, and unlimited legal downloads for only $2.99 a month for everyone after those first 3000 who signs up.

What's the catch? $2.99 a month is a small price to pay if you don't make it in the first 3000, even I would pay that. There has to be some sort of catch. are these standard mp3 format files, or are they some half-a**ed DRM-enabled format?
2005-04-13, 12:57 PM #27
it would probably be 64Kbps at that price
2005-04-13, 1:21 PM #28
128 Kbps DRM I think.
2005-04-13, 1:29 PM #29
But the RIAA has to know how easy it is to convert DRM into something like MP3. Anyone with a soundcard can do it.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-13, 1:29 PM #30
I attend GA Tech and have obscenely fast internet, but 99% of the music on my computer is legally owned by me. The other 1% is stuff I would never pay for, like live stuff or random pop songs that are too catchy to not listen to.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-04-13, 1:34 PM #31
But ya... the real question is How did the RIAA get onto the campus networks?

Also, if I get slapped with a fine because my iTunes library is available to anyone on my hall's network (you cant copy the songs but you can listen to them), I will destroy the earth.
2005-04-13, 1:50 PM #32
Actually, Schming, with the program OurTunes, it is possible to obtain someone's songs shared through iTunes, or so I've been informed by my friends who wish me to drop my firewall and share my MP3s.
2005-04-13, 4:13 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
Actually, Schming, with the program OurTunes, it is possible to obtain someone's songs shared through iTunes, or so I've been informed by my friends who wish me to drop my firewall and share my MP3s.

Well.... I was talking about with JUST the iTunes software. I'm not a 3rd party plug-in kind of guy.
2005-04-13, 5:52 PM #34
If I download a song, it was because I want one or two from a whole CD. I don't wan't to buy the whole CD of a group I don't like just to hear one song I enjoy.
I heard about something like was mentioned at RIT where you can pay a small amount monthly or annually. I would gladly pay for it or just for songs that I like and want to keep. One drawback to the pay services (I haven't used any myself) I would think would have to be the selection. You can find really obscure music on P2P services - stuff that you would never find in a store.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-04-13, 6:04 PM #35
There are a few problems with Ctrax. One, it's crappy 128 Kbps MP3, if that. Two, since there's some DRM garbage, you need to use their player. Which means no EQ, no crossfeed, no fancy DSP that I like. Rubbish.
2005-04-13, 6:32 PM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
But the RIAA has to know how easy it is to convert DRM into something like MP3. Anyone with a soundcard can do it.

but that is the worst possible way to do it... unless they burned to a CD then ripped to a LOSSLESS format but that would result in a huge file that sounds like 128kbps...

lossy to lossy is bad...
2005-04-13, 6:42 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Schming

I would also like to know that.
The students in the case should bring that up.
2005-04-13, 6:42 PM #38
The best way is to just crack the DRM. The second best way is to use your line in and outs to just re-record and re-encode the song, which will result in quality loss. The last option is burning it to a CD and ripping, which is slower and has the same quality loss issues.
2005-04-13, 6:48 PM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by Schming

good question. those are heavily firewalled, right?
2005-04-13, 7:00 PM #40
Quote:
I heard about something like was mentioned at RIT where you can pay a small amount monthly or annually. I would gladly pay for it or just for songs that I like and want to keep.

I know Purdue has something like that. It's a really small fee too. But along with it, they encode everything in DRM-WMA.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"

↑ Up to the top!