Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What styles do YOU consider "gay"
What styles do YOU consider "gay"
2005-04-21, 12:14 PM #1
When u see a guy walking down the street, some people immediately think "oh, he's gay", based upon his actions and his dress sense and haircut/haircolour..

i need your thoughts

Article #1 : T-shirts

I'm not exactly a chunky person, so I dont like wearing baggy clothes, i tend to wear small sizes, but sometimes they're quite tight. This can lead to "gay" responses.

I like a mixture of black and grey in the winter, but in summer I wear more colourful extravagant clothes that may be a bit more camp.

Gay or nay?

Article #1 : Hair styles and colours

I have what is referred to as "prince charming hair", needless to say, its very similar to prince charming from Shrek II, cept light brown with strands of blonde and orange.
Next week I get it shortened at the back and dyed more blonde with highlights.

Since its the summer, i dont wear a beanie hat as its too hot, so I have my hair washed few times a week, bouncy and semi long....

Gay or nay?

Article #1 : Jewellery

Until recently I have been wearing goth accessories, an ankh necklace, leather straps and the odd spike on the wrist.

But now its summer, I'm wearing an amethyst necklace, a silver coral necklace, and loads of friendship bracelets and coral accessories on my left wrist.

No rings.

Gay or nay?

Article #1 : Trousers

not a fan of baggy trousers, i have a mixture of low shorts and close fitting dyed stylish jeans, mostly light blue, no black jeans.

Gay or nay?

Article #1 : Behavior

Walking around town, I always have a concerned pouty grim demeaner, low eyebrows and jaw bone prominent, never smiling etc.
However, when i'm out, and more likely to be drunk, my arm movements become more flamboyent, and possibly camp.

You'll usually see me smoking a cigarette as well.

So at the end of this little speach, if u saw me walking around in YOUR neighbourhood in summer time, would you shout "HEY GAY PERSON!" ???

This is an odd thread i know, but i'm very self concious about how i'm percieved my strangers, since all my friends know i'm straight with a few attractive women behind my belt.

Discuss, make speech, not flame.

:cool:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-04-21, 12:21 PM #2
...If I were you, I'd become less concerned about how others perceive me and just do what you like.

BUT, here's my thoughts:

T-shirts: Tight fitting where your nipples poke out is "gay". Form-fitting where you can sometimes make out your physique is not.

Hair: Gay men usually dont do the long hair thing, at least around here. Colored hair for guys is usually just a sign of the repressed punky side. From the way you describe it, you are more of a punkified Favio than gay.

Jewelry: From what I've seen with gay men, less is more. They're not into leather studs, at least the metro gays that live around here, and will usually only have simple leather cuffs or slim thongs (not THONGS) around their wrists.

Pants: Gay men are all about designer jeans and slim fitting canvas pants. So, in that sense you are gay.

Behavior: Most gay men I see are mean faced but are quick to laugh. Not really flambouyant, at least in public. It's more of a wannabe gay thing to be overly flambouyant, like drama kids.

So, in summary.... WHO THE **** CARES?
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-04-21, 12:25 PM #3
Nothing, you can only be homosexual sexualwise.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-04-21, 12:27 PM #4
None of the gay guys I know fit the stereotype of a gy guy.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-21, 12:28 PM #5
Those "muscle shirts," especially popular in the 80s, where they pretty much show everything on the upper torso. You see a couple of guys in the movie "Falling Down" wearing them.

Other than that...nothing, really.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-21, 12:28 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by FastGamerr
Nothing, you can only be homosexual personalitywise.

No... you can only be homosexual sexualwise. You can be camp personalitywise, and also dresswise.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-04-21, 12:30 PM #7
all gay.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-04-21, 12:30 PM #8
Yeah, you can be so camp.

And, you have to be quite an idiot to think someone's gay by the way they dress.
2005-04-21, 12:33 PM #9
Quote:

And, you have to be quite an idiot to think someone's gay by the way they dress.

....no, you definitely can judge people on how they dress. Maybe not to the finer points of their personality, but in general you can usually tell their temperament.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-04-21, 12:34 PM #10
Or then you can be wrong.
2005-04-21, 12:41 PM #11
Yay for stereotypes!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-04-21, 12:54 PM #12
Quote:
Or then you can be wrong.

Burgerboy.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-21, 1:05 PM #13
Quote:

Obviously it's not an exact method, but there are a lot of gay people who dress like stereotypical gay people. The stereotype exists for a reason.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-04-21, 1:15 PM #14
sounds more emo than anything else
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-04-21, 1:19 PM #15
This is... sad. Wear what you're comfortable in, and what you look good in.
2005-04-21, 1:22 PM #16
This thread is gay.
2005-04-21, 1:30 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
This thread is gay.

<3
2005-04-21, 1:44 PM #18
Its not what you wear, its how you wear it apparently.
2005-04-21, 1:54 PM #19
clothes are for faggits. real men go nekkid
2005-04-21, 2:12 PM #20
Meh, I'm not greatly disimilar from the man in question and I used to get the odd sideways look. One of my friends thought I was gay for months, and most of my mates know I'm a little bit camp.

Does it matter?

Nope.

Would any of my friends care if I was gay?

Nope.

Would they be supportive and treat me exactly the same as they always have?

Yep.

So in conclusion Aaron, wear a thong. The can't see that.
2005-04-21, 2:42 PM #21
WTH is "camp"?
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-04-21, 2:44 PM #22
Um I fail to see how clothing of any kind is a sexual preference I know alot of people who don't dress stereotypical that are gay... just because you are gay doesn't mean you have to start wearing pink tight shirts or something like that... it's not like they have to identify themselves by law with "gay" clothing.
2005-04-21, 2:49 PM #23
If you wear pink around here, it probably means Daddy bought you a yacht for your birthday. And you are a BADWORD that I can't say here or I'll get banned...

<.<
2005-04-21, 2:53 PM #24
Yeah but that's just the point if I say I'm straight and poor which I am and I decide to wear a pink shirt that doesn't make me gay or prepy to me it just means I like the colour pink... which I don't unless it's on black but that's not the point... society is so caught up in stereotypes that alot of people miss a good opertunity to meet new an interesting people because they shy away from the stereotype.
2005-04-21, 3:04 PM #25
I see the point you're getting at Dizzy (and welcome by the way, I'm not sure I've seen you before today), but often stereotypes are true, and people hide behind them, or use them as a brash front. In an ideal world I'm with you, that stereotyping is bad. The sad fact is that stereotyping does happen, and that if you wear a pink shirt in Durham you are making a statement that you are one of society's "elite".

Sad but true.

What's both sadder and truer is the fact that the batteries in my mouse just died, and I can't get replacements until the morning.
2005-04-21, 3:07 PM #26
dude. stop pushing your agenda. (directed at dizzy, not Martyn)

No one's saying that what you wear makes you gay or not. What's being said is that what you wear has an effect on how people perceive you.

And Ruth, your style sounds very much like mine (except my hair is short, and I don't wear bracelets or anything). And yes, people think I'm gay all the time. It's annoying. But I wear what I like, and I am who I am.

On another note, my boss who is gay was making fun of my form-fitting, pastel green, collared tee shirt today. It was very disturbing for a gay person to make fun of me for dressing gay.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-04-21, 3:37 PM #27
From that description, Ruthven, you would not set off my Gaydar. Unless your shirt is skintight, you spoke with a lisp, and called me 'honey', I probably wouldn't guess that you were gay. I would, however, find you to be what is known as a "girly man."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-04-21, 3:47 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by KOP_Snake
I would, however, find you to be what is known as a "girly man."

And thats something I cannot escape, I was born girly looking, and it SUCKS!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-04-21, 3:49 PM #29
I feel your pain, sir. (why do you think I keep that thin scruff on my face? :p)

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-04-21, 4:22 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill
dude. stop pushing your agenda. (directed at dizzy, not Martyn)

No one's saying that what you wear makes you gay or not. What's being said is that what you wear has an effect on how people perceive you.

And Ruth, your style sounds very much like mine (except my hair is short, and I don't wear bracelets or anything). And yes, people think I'm gay all the time. It's annoying. But I wear what I like, and I am who I am.

On another note, my boss who is gay was making fun of my form-fitting, pastel green, collared tee shirt today. It was very disturbing for a gay person to make fun of me for dressing gay.

I really didn't think I was pushing an agenda cause I have no agenda to push I was simply adding a diffrent view to the conversation... but if I overstepped my bounds I'm sorry, please forgive me.
2005-04-21, 4:34 PM #31
well.. that sounded a bit meaner than I'd intended. I apologize. I'm just saying that you're going on about how what we wear doesn't define who we are, but no one's arguing that it does.

2005-04-21, 4:40 PM #32
Men who say that other men who consciously try to look good are gay are gay themselves. I'm only half-kidding, too.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-04-21, 4:44 PM #33
I'm sorry, did I just see a post from Sine, or are the admins playing dirty minds tricks on us again..?

<.<
>.>
2005-04-21, 4:47 PM #34
Any "style" that goes beyond looking presentable and feeling comfortable.
2005-04-21, 5:14 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by MentatMM
Any "style" that goes beyond looking presentable and feeling comfortable.

So like, tuxedos?
2005-04-21, 5:20 PM #36
Anyone who associates pink with homosexuality has a lot of Cuban men to speak to.
2005-04-21, 5:40 PM #37
We work hard, we play hard.

*DUN, DUN, DUN-DUN-DUN*

EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!

*DUN, DUN, DUN-DUN-DUN*
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-04-21, 6:25 PM #38
I would so revel at your gayness! But that's actually a compliment because most gay guys dress pretty nice I suppose.
2005-04-21, 6:36 PM #39
Dammit, will someone please tell me what "camp" means? I'm losing it here! [http://img252.echo.cx/img252/3599/twitch2do.gif]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-04-21, 6:40 PM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by -Monoxide-
I would so revel at your gayness! But that's actually a compliment because most gay guys dress pretty nice I suppose.

Actually most of them are... I find you have to set limits though if you want to become close friends with them because just like as straight guys get closer to girls they want the relationship to evolve it's only natural a gay guy will want his relationship with you to evolve and you just have to set the limit that there is no chance of that happening... that's what I do anyways.

↑ Up to the top!