Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → XBox 360 Final design
XBox 360 Final design
2005-04-28, 12:34 PM #41
Embedded DRAM for the 360

http://gear.ign.com/articles/608/608124p1.html
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-04-28, 1:45 PM #42
Quote:
Originally posted by Naythn
Yeah, who puts a PowerPC processor in a console anyway? And coupled with ATi graphics to boot. Completely unprecedented!

Microsoft is clearly ripping off apple by making a console containing an IBM chip. As any apple owner will tell you, the primary draw for them was the RISC processor.

And Microsoft owns apple stock? Impossible! Next you'll be telling me that Intel owns AMD stock!

Har.

It is unprecedented, but that's not my point. I find it ironic that they're using something that was previously 100% apple hardware, in one of their consoles.

And iirc, it's not just SOME stake. It's quite significant. They even have their own apple branch.
D E A T H
2005-04-28, 2:17 PM #43
That's because they make quite a bit of money on Apple versions of Microsoft Office.

There's something you people don't realize, and that something is the .NET Framework. .NET is designed for cross-platform portability. It's very possible that we'll see ports of Windows Longhorn (or its successor) for the Mac, Playstation 2 and various toaster ovens like BSD and Linux.
2005-04-28, 2:22 PM #44
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Har.

It is unprecedented, but that's not my point. I find it ironic that they're using something that was previously 100% apple hardware, in one of their consoles.

And iirc, it's not just SOME stake. It's quite significant. They even have their own apple branch.

FYI, there's a PowerPC processor in the Gamecube.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2005-04-28, 3:11 PM #45
Quote:
Originally posted by Naythn
FYI, there's a PowerPC processor in the Gamecube.

I had no idea. I don't pay much attention to the 'cube's specs.
D E A T H
2005-04-28, 3:15 PM #46
It says IBM on the box.

It's actually a modified PowerPC processor that includes embedded memory, called Gecko.

The Playstation 3 will use a Sony/IBM cooperatively developed processor (as most of you know), which means all 3 of the next consoles will include an IBM processor.
2005-04-28, 3:18 PM #47
Has nintendo confirmed that they're going with the IBM processor or are you just making an educated guess.
D E A T H
2005-04-28, 3:32 PM #48
Quote:
Originally posted by Iwata
"With IBM, we are creating Revolution's core processor, which we have codenamed Broadway because Broadway is the capital of live entertainment," he said. "With ATI, we are developing the graphics chipset, codenamed Hollywood because Hollywood is the capital of movie entertainment. With Revolution, we are determined to create the new capital of interactive entertainment."

And if Microsoft is going with the ATI video card, it also means 2 of the 3 consoles will use ATI graphics.

It looks like Nintendo's hardware partners are NEC, IBM and ATI. NEC is designing the mainboard or something like that, but they'll probably bring integrated memory technologies to the table again. And then the disc technology, which should be somewhat comparable to the original Gamecube since the formats are compatable. Personally I expect the same, only a slightly larger disc. Maybe a multi-layered format, although that would fill me with the burning rage of a million stars.

↑ Up to the top!