Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Lord of The Rings
The Lord of The Rings
2005-04-30, 2:29 PM #1
So I'm sitting here posting threads and watching The Fellowship of The Ring on channel 4 and just wondering what people thought of the trilogy.
nope.
2005-04-30, 2:32 PM #2
hehe, i'm watching it too.

...despite having the trilogy on DVD.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-04-30, 2:35 PM #3
I have "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King" on DVD, and I've seen "Th Fellowship of the Ring" in the movies. I think they were great, as the books tend to be long. (Although I read all of them)
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-04-30, 2:36 PM #4
I've seen first two films, but never got to see the third. A while ago I also got about a quarter of the way through Return of the King before I got distracted by something (coursework, I think) and I haven't picked it back up yet. The movies I have seen were pretty good, though.
2005-04-30, 2:47 PM #5
I love all the movies, Return of the King is my favorite by far. I wish there were more movies like that. I wish the story continued, honestly, there's very few stories that I enjoyed as much as LOTR's story. And the characters, music, everything was perfect.

I cant wait for The Hobbit.
2005-04-30, 2:51 PM #6
The SA gifs are better.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-04-30, 2:58 PM #7
I love the movies and the books! I tend to lean more towards the books, but I think the movies are great in their own right. I want them to make The Hobbit! :D
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-04-30, 3:31 PM #8
I'm still waiting for my Silmarillion movie!

:(

The LOTR movies are pretty good.
2005-04-30, 3:34 PM #9
Stop posting threads about everything you watch on TV!

LotR movies are brill, but the books are better if only for Tom Bombadil. I think the Two Towers was the best of the movies.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-04-30, 3:38 PM #10
It was only 2 threads, one of a good movie, the other was Dr. Who.
nope.
2005-04-30, 3:41 PM #11
The movies are great, but I found them to be an aquired taste. They are much easier to appreciate when you've seen the entire trilogy. I have all three in their extended versions, I usually only watch them one disc at a time (making it more like six two hour movies, as opposed to three four hour ones).

Can't be arsed with the books though, it's not the sort of thing I'd like to read.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-04-30, 3:49 PM #12
They're really highly overrated.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-30, 3:51 PM #13
This is the dutch heir?

[http://x2.putfile.com/1/2921194397.gif]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-30, 6:18 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by quesadilla_red
I love the movies and the books! I tend to lean more towards the books, but I think the movies are great in their own right. I want them to make The Hobbit! :D

Ditto.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-30, 6:29 PM #15
I like how being 'overrated' is somehow the movies' fault.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-04-30, 6:38 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy

I liked that one. :D
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-04-30, 6:40 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
I like how being 'overrated' is somehow the movies' fault.

Ok, the movies are 'bad' and alot of people are 'morons' for liking it.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-30, 6:42 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill
Ok, the movies are 'bad' and alot of people are 'morons' for liking it.

Yes, they're so aparrently bad, especially since so many people like it. You know, like the people who love the books, and even those who don't. I mean something must be horrible if it can draw fans from the books and people who hated the books together.
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 6:46 PM #19
American Idol is the number 3 television show on tv right now. Followed by the second weekly showing. It is both number 3 and 4. I think it is safe to say a lot of people like American Idol. It MUST be great!

And if you look at the movies from a standpoint other than "OMG look at all the horses on screen at once!!" then you'd realize it too.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-30, 6:54 PM #20
Not really Bill. Stop saying I look at it from a certain standpoint just because I like something that, oh my, is GOOD.

The acting is great, the story is great, the presentation is amazing. It brings to life the dullness of the books, the story hidden under layer after layer after layer of soliloquoy and random/pointless hobbit and elvish history.

Just because you want to be 'cool' and 'anti-trendy' doesn't mean it works.

And despite what you and I think, American Idol is a decent show. Best? No. But then again, we're talking about CABLE TELEVISION. It's just about the best thing on at the time, and America is far from being weened off of its addiction to television.
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 6:57 PM #21
First off, it's network television.

Second, if I wanted to be 'cool' then I wouldn't be a huge star wars fan. I would also hate the Matrix sequels (I don't). The movies have a crapload of cliche type crap that we're supposed to love. I'll explain later. My date just called.
>>untie shoes
2005-04-30, 6:58 PM #22
I only noticed a few of those, but god forbid Peter Jackson try to make the series more available to the public.

I'm sorry, but as much as I hate the books, watching the Ents and Oliphaunts coming alive on the screen kept my heart in my throat. It was just a beautiful sight to behold.
D E A T H
2005-04-30, 7:02 PM #23
[http://www.tjs.oscempire.net/images/boromir25io.jpg]
2005-04-30, 7:57 PM #24
Quote:
I would also hate the Matrix sequels (I don't). The movies have a crapload of cliche type crap that we're supposed to love. I'll explain later.

[http://www.nndb.com/people/411/000045276/desiarnaz.jpg]

YOU GOT SOME S'PLAININ' TO DO!

Are you suggesting people who hate the Matrix sequels (like I do) are only trying to be cool?

If its trying to be "cool" to hate franchises, then your view of the LOTR films are just as attempting to be "cool."
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-04-30, 8:30 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Not really Bill. Stop saying I look at it from a certain standpoint just because I like something that, oh my, is GOOD.

The acting is great, the story is great, the presentation is amazing. It brings to life the dullness of the books, the story hidden under layer after layer after layer of soliloquoy and random/pointless hobbit and elvish history.

Where in LOTR is there a single soliloquy?

Edit: And Gollum doesn't count.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2005-04-30, 8:36 PM #26
Quote:

I'm hoping, and I do believe the members on BWG staff (who are making an Silmarillion based game), don't want PJ to do a Silmarillion movie. The main reason for this is so that we are able to do our version of Tolkien interpretation (otherwise art, music, videos w/ the game etc) do not come under legal implications through Tolkien Estate, and other big companies like The Saul Zaentz (one must remember, that ever since LotR hit the big screen, these two single companies have been capitalizing on everything that is related to the movies; this includes mods, and other online-based projects as well).

Also, I do believe you may be waiting a while for your "Silmarillion movie". Why? Because the rights were given to Christopher Tolkien before the Professor died, and imo, Chris is reluctant in allocating the creation of a Silmarillion movie. However, I do believe that once Chris dies, than developers / companies like TE, and TSC, will find ways to get what they want.

*sorry if this ended up in a flame* :p

And, I voted, they're OK, books are better.
Black Water Games | Project Leader and President
Historical Conquerors | The Lays of Middle Earth
www.blackwatergames.com/forums
2005-04-30, 9:35 PM #27
Nice Wolfy :)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-04-30, 10:00 PM #28
Elves in Helm's Deep! Sacrilege!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
2005-04-30, 10:05 PM #29
Quote:
Where in LOTR is there a single soliloquy?

Edit: And Gollum doesn't count.

Gollum had a lot, there was a big dialogue that was lame in the beginnnig of FotR, there was all the scenes in cities where there were parties, and there was a LOT of gollum soliloquoy, though maybe soliloquoy isn't the right word. Drab, lame, boring, dull, and slow are much better suited to it.
D E A T H
2005-05-01, 12:02 AM #30
Quote:
Second, if I wanted to be 'cool' then I wouldn't be a huge star wars fan. I would also hate the Matrix sequels (I don't). The movies have a crapload of cliche type crap that we're supposed to love. I'll explain later. My date just called.

Guys guys, listen to Bill. He's going to school for film, and his date called him. that must make him knowledgeable.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-05-01, 12:06 AM #31
Only seen the first one, they seem like good chips movies. I'll probably buy the extended boxset when it's quite cheap.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-01, 12:10 AM #32
YOur point? I study film, I am going to school for film to become a director.... But even I can realise that LOTR is one of the most important movies of our time. ANd not just based on its special FX achievements.
2005-05-01, 12:36 AM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
This is the dutch heir?

LOL!!!!

"oh man, that would be so fricking awesome!"

*SILENCE*
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-05-01, 1:25 AM #34
Quote:

Well, gimme $200 million and a decent cinematographer (Dean Semler will do nicely :D ) and i will start casting tomorrow.

Seriously - already have a script. :em321:
My blog! http://rpg-rant.blogspot.com/
2005-05-01, 1:53 AM #35
I thought it was crap. It was long, tedious and repetitive, and it just didn't interest me at all.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-05-01, 2:33 AM #36
I spent yesterday (practically all of it) by watching the whole Extended Editions trilogy with a couple of friends... Great movies. I still like the books better, but I also totally agree with quesadilla_red.

I have to say that after the immense popularity and all the acclaim like the amount of awards, it seems a bit artificial of some people to try to come up with reasons why these aren't high quality and remarkable movies. It's only natural that some people don't personally like them, but they should check their parametres if they want to become film professionals. Rare film makers could afford to laugh at the success of the LOTR trilogy.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-05-01, 2:44 AM #37
The Lord of the Rings is one of the best books ever written, and also one of the best movies ever made. If you disagree with my opinion, you're wrong, and should be slapped in the face. Good day.
2005-05-01, 4:06 AM #38
they're pretty good but i can only watch em about once a year or something.

Sgt. Peppers > LotR.
2005-05-01, 7:01 AM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Gollum had a lot, there was a big dialogue that was lame in the beginnnig of FotR, there was all the scenes in cities where there were parties, and there was a LOT of gollum soliloquoy, though maybe soliloquoy isn't the right word. Drab, lame, boring, dull, and slow are much better suited to it.

You obviously have a big problem respecting anything that doesn't offer instant gratification.
2005-05-01, 7:48 AM #40
Quote:
You obviously have a big problem respecting anything that doesn't offer instant gratification.

Not really. It's more I like to enjoy the writing style of the book I'm reading. You see I read a lot of fantasy, which includes a lot of background, and slow parts, but one of two things happens with every author I know of except for Robert Jordan and Tolkein--Either the slower parts that are going by are made much more bearable to read by the way that the author explains it, or there's so few of them it doesn't matter.

Both those authors THRIVE on the boring, lame, dull, etc. parts. I'm sorry I don't love sitting there reading about the history of hobbit #53458.

Like I said before--I love the story, but hate the author.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!