Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Technology Advancement
New Technology Advancement
2005-05-01, 9:47 AM #1
With all the new advances in technology over the past few years (and the years to come), do you think it'd be probably to see workable TIEs being produced? And what about real X-Wings? :P

That'd be sweet to form the USA into the Empire. :o Conquer the world. Turn it into Coruscant. :P :p ;)
Black Water Games | Project Leader and President
Historical Conquerors | The Lays of Middle Earth
www.blackwatergames.com/forums
2005-05-01, 9:49 AM #2
U.S would form the suckiest Empire ever in style. ... Yeah.

Flamendeavour!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-01, 9:54 AM #3
US is the Empire, Britain is the Republic.... we will you destroy in the end and reclaim our OWN Empire.... MUAHAHAH

imbeciles!!!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-05-01, 9:56 AM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackWaterGames
With all the new advances in technology over the past few years (and the years to come), do you think it'd be probably to see workable TIEs being produced?

You must be joking. No real engineer would draw a fighter that blocks most of the pilot's fov with ridiculous solar panels like that.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-05-01, 10:12 AM #5
Bush would be much easier to take seriously in a Darth Vader suit.

And Blair would surely win the election in that gold bikini.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-05-01, 10:14 AM #6
Colin Powell in Darth Vader suit.

He does SORTA remind me of James Earl Jones...
2005-05-01, 10:20 AM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by AKPiggott

Great, now I have to whipe coffee off of my keyboard.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-05-01, 10:33 AM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruthven
US is the Empire, Britain is the Republic.... we will you destroy in the end and reclaim our OWN Empire.... MUAHAHAH

imbeciles!!!

I guess that makes us Wookies. We speak really weird, we do whatever the US tells us, yet we are strangely loyal to the UK. Plus there's usually a token Aussie around.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-05-01, 10:43 AM #9
[http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99jun/uf000747.gif]

Random! :o
2005-05-01, 10:50 AM #10
Quote:

And Blair would surely win the election in that gold bikini.

LOL! Everyone move aside for Mexico and India. Hindi Mexicanos bhai bhai!!!
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-01, 10:57 AM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruthven

imbeciles!!!

Yeah! Well we have Darth Bush and a whole clone army! (USMC)
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-01, 12:23 PM #12
And Bin Laden wears a white dress just like Mon Mothma.

And Saddam Hussein has a moustache just like Bail Organa.

Oh, the allegory!!
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-05-01, 2:24 PM #13
Quote:
With all the new advances in technology over the past few years (and the years to come), do you think it'd be probably to see workable TIEs being produced? And what about real X-Wings? :P

X-wings are mostly possible, they're actually flight capable as-is. Of course, shields, repulsors, and some other systems aren't possible, but the basics can be done.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-05-01, 2:39 PM #14
Z-95 headhunters are, maybe, flight-capable. I don't see how you can say X-Wings are, though.
2005-05-01, 2:41 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkjedibob
X-wings are mostly possible, they're actually flight capable as-is. Of course, shields, repulsors, and some other systems aren't possible, but the basics can be done.

Hahahahahaha...hahaha...haha..hah...
2005-05-01, 2:44 PM #16
i think the first step would be to have outer space travel with-out having inches of ceramic tile to protect from the atmosphere and if it didn't take so much fuel to break out of said atmosphere
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-05-01, 2:48 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by 7
i think the first step would be to have outer space travel with-out having inches of ceramic tile to protect from the atmosphere and if it didn't take so much fuel to break out of said atmosphere
IIRC, Spaceship One doesn't use heat tiles for re-entry.
The fuel, however, is an issue. In Star Wars they have the benefit of repulsors, which seem to act with some sort of antigravity properties. It's possible that we'll develop a quantum theory for gravitation that can be experimentally demonstrated, and - as an extension - learn how to either inverse a gravitational field or shield an object from it.

In the short term it's more or less a requirement that we construct some other form of energy-efficient bulk lifting mechanism, or more efficient nuclear engines (and, actually, fusial thrust engines are what the X-Wing uses for main propulsion anyway).
2005-05-01, 3:43 PM #18
So are the Scots sorta like the Jedi then? We hang on to old customs and so forth, want balance to things, run around with swordly like things too.
nope.
2005-05-01, 4:24 PM #19
I think I saw on discovery back in 1998 something about massive hovering troops craft, that were like the droid ones in Episode I, you know, at the gungan battle.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-05-01, 4:30 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon`C
Z-95 headhunters are, maybe, flight-capable. I don't see how you can say X-Wings are, though.

Wind tunnel tests and mock-ups reveal all ;)
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-05-01, 4:31 PM #21
I think that Jedis will exist. We are actually using half of our brain's capabilities. At full functioning, telekynesis will be possible.

Oh and...

I'M A JEDI! FEAR ME!

</off-topic>
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-05-01, 4:49 PM #22
Quote:
That'd be sweet to form the USA into the Empire. :o Conquer the world. Turn it into Coruscant. :P :p ;)

I think Americans are trying to resist the stereotype that we are invaders or "conquerors."

Also, to turn the world into Coruscant would mean to destroy almost every square meter of natural landscape and replace it with a building. A much difficult, dirty, and harmful task, eh?

No, bud. Won't happen.
2005-05-01, 4:57 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon`C
IIRC, Spaceship One doesn't use heat tiles for re-entry.
The fuel, however, is an issue. In Star Wars they have the benefit of repulsors, which seem to act with some sort of antigravity properties. It's possible that we'll develop a quantum theory for gravitation that can be experimentally demonstrated, and - as an extension - learn how to either inverse a gravitational field or shield an object from it.

In the short term it's more or less a requirement that we construct some other form of energy-efficient bulk lifting mechanism, or more efficient nuclear engines (and, actually, fusial thrust engines are what the X-Wing uses for main propulsion anyway).

Space Ship One doesn't go very far into space at all, so at reentry, it's not screaming towards the earth. There's a difference.

But yeah, we need better propulsion, flight stations on the moon, and various other things. The atmosphere is just way too...lame. Or something.
D E A T H
2005-05-01, 5:53 PM #24
I don't think TIE fighters will be possible. Ion engines are already in use, but they produce far too little thrust to be any good for a space fighter. And if you run them off solar panels (like Deep Space 2 or whatever it was called) then they are only good close to stars. I'll admit that TIE fighters look pretty cool though.
Stuff
2005-05-01, 5:59 PM #25
Yeah but in space there is no drag. You probably wouldn't need tons of thrust to fly around out there.
>>untie shoes
2005-05-01, 6:09 PM #26
Yeah, you wouldnt need much thrust at all to give momentum to a spacecraft.

A TIE fighter would never be able to stop though, because it has a single thruster pointing backwards. It's also need some other thrusters on the wings to be able to steer. (or have the main thruster on a pivot).
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-05-01, 6:12 PM #27
Well, it's really a trade-off between thrust and time. Europe's Smart-1 probe has an ion engine, but it took years to build up enough speed to break Earth's orbit and get to the moon (actually it didn't really break from Earth orbit, it just moved to a higher one). In any case, an ion engine is still impractical if you want to make any sort of manoevers.
Stuff
2005-05-01, 6:24 PM #28
Quote:
At full functioning, telekynesis will be possible.

How do you deduct that?
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-05-01, 6:42 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
How do you deduct that?

My deduction:

Instincts and reflexes are the beginning of telekynesis. With further brain support, those will develop, to finally become telekynesis, and then we will be capable of read or change minds, pull or push objects and levitate.
Skateboarding is not a crime.
2005-05-01, 7:04 PM #30
Lol, I love these threads that I make up. :D And Bush would the emperor, Cheney would be Darth (more of the War mongerish type dude, hehehe). Emperor woul (SWWWOOSSSHHH ZAAPPP) leaders like Saddam Hussein (Organa) and Mon Mothma (Bin Laden ehhehehehehe). I'll be rewarded by Bush one day if this comes to reality. :p Maybe I get me own SSD!!! :D ;)
Black Water Games | Project Leader and President
Historical Conquerors | The Lays of Middle Earth
www.blackwatergames.com/forums
2005-05-01, 7:05 PM #31
Umm. Okay.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-01, 8:16 PM #32
This thread just made my day. :p
yay.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2005-05-02, 5:29 AM #33
Small thing,if you could make a working tie that was the right size with one thruster, as it was exiting the atmosphere, wouldnt the wings snap off, the (atmosphereic pressure I think) would probably snap them off like twigs at the wee connector things.
nope.
2005-05-02, 6:48 AM #34
Quote:
Bush would be much easier to take seriously in a Darth Vader suit

Dude, if I were president I would wear a Darth Vader suit every day. I would especially love foreign affairs. "I have changed the nature of our agreement Kim Jong, pray that I change it no more" *Breaths* Yes, that would be the most awesome thing ever. Any president who dresses up in a Darth Vader suit gets my vote by default.
2005-05-02, 6:59 AM #35
I'd like to see a clean and efficient power source that put off no bad waste and could be used to power cars. Oh, it would put the gas stations out of buisness.
2005-05-02, 7:10 AM #36
Im thinking more along the lines of:
If Star Wars is so advaced, why do all of the stormies use crappy guns? A 19th century rifle would be better and do more damage than strifles.
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2005-05-02, 7:16 AM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi
Yeah, you wouldnt need much thrust at all to give momentum to a spacecraft.

A TIE fighter would never be able to stop though, because it has a single thruster pointing backwards. It's also need some other thrusters on the wings to be able to steer. (or have the main thruster on a pivot).

Yes it could. A TIE fighter has two thrusters in the back, thus being called "Twin Ion Engines". Although maneuverability up and down would be damn near impossible without some directional fins or thruster control on the back, it could easily turn by increasing output to one engine and lessening output to the other.
2005-05-02, 9:07 AM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by F-Body
Im thinking more along the lines of:
If Star Wars is so advaced, why do all of the stormies use crappy guns? A 19th century rifle would be better and do more damage than strifles.

Their purpose is to bypass energy shields I think.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-02, 9:15 AM #39
Quote:
why do all of the stormies use crappy guns?

I think that's because GL wanted to make them look silly and stupid when compared to rebels. :mad:
2005-05-02, 9:31 AM #40
Quote:

Maybe those E-11 blasters were cheap to manufacture in large quatities.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!