Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi MMORG info Update, and consulting...
Massassi MMORG info Update, and consulting...
2005-05-04, 1:54 PM #1
Well, first things first, I'am going to be very direct:

The game is based on the times of the Sith Wars, on the moons of Yavin, and there will be a temple, called the Massassi Temple... (More information to come), and the game will have a solvable plot.
Bassically, its a mini MMORPG, and in no way shape or form ever will compete with SWG, it will be just a fun thing to play and say "Hey look, there the mmorpg of Massasi"

Any how, I have 3 issues:
1.- Graphics... I'am a basic CGI artist, although it could take me up to months to make custom graphics. I've got an idea though: for a while, at least, we can use some of the Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds images, and since the we'll be only using less than 100 frames, and not full length animations, I guess we could pull it off without them caring, otherwise we will have to wait a long time for anything to happen. This way I plan to release it this month, on May 19 :D :D :D (Hint Hint Hint, now you know why I was always saying that it will come soon)

2.- Server hosting, there is no way that I'm paying $40 a month for this hosting stuff, so, I need someone who will host the game

3.- Also, I need a flash programmer, I mean some one who can do flash. I need some one to make a flash movie for the MMORPG.

Notes:
-I did not make this game engine I'm going to use (Konfuze) as much as I'd like to, I don't have time to go making my own from the mirage source code, maybe some day this game will have its own code.

-The Force Powers will be limited at first, so don't expect big things happening

P.S.: The game need a server that can be 24/7, with atleast a 1 mbps connection, also, post your questions about this game, and be happy that some one, is atleast doing something.

Cheers!
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-05-04, 1:57 PM #2
............so no 3D graphics?
2005-05-04, 1:57 PM #3
Dude... I thought you gave up on faking a game project..
2005-05-04, 2:00 PM #4
Well, will it involve characters with the screen names of characters? Oh, and can we have a side quest called "The Massassi Temple : The Quest for Brian's Gold"?
nope.
2005-05-04, 2:02 PM #5
SOULS. The wust for Brian's SOULS.

Jesus damned jumping jimminy CHRIST sue... get your inside jokes right!
2005-05-04, 2:02 PM #6
Dude, if I don't release this game this may 19th, ban me, and 3d graphics might come later, not now atleast.

This game will not have any charcaters from the movies, although, there will be an NPC Exar Kun.
2005-05-04, 2:02 PM #7
Why don't you just release a traditional RPG? That way, you can focus more on creating content for it and working on the story and characters instead of worrying about network programming and sockets and finding a server for cheap. Plus, there will be a far greater chance that you'll actually get even close to finished with it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-04, 2:05 PM #8
Yes, yes, ban him! Ban him!
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2005-05-04, 2:05 PM #9
Well maybe because I couldn't finish for may 19th now??? (to traditional RPG question)
2005-05-04, 2:08 PM #10
And you're telling me you can finish this MMORPG by May 19th? So you're already about 98% done with it?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-04, 2:09 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Jesus damned jumping jimminy CHRIST sue... get your inside jokes right!

My thing wasn't supposed to be anything concerning the inside joke, so Bleh!
nope.
2005-05-04, 2:09 PM #12
ROBS BELLY IS SLOWLY BEING FILLED WITH LAUGHTER.

Seriously, keep it up.
2005-05-04, 2:24 PM #13
Well, I'm signing off for a few hours, got to do some home work, and going to ask a friend to see if he can host (No promises)
2005-05-04, 2:26 PM #14
This is even better than that whole Rosebud thing... :P
2005-05-04, 2:26 PM #15
Rob, he isn't you, is he? You're not him? You're not just pulling our legs?
2005-05-04, 2:29 PM #16
HA! No.

Even I'M not THAT creative.

And besides, an admin would have revealified me by now.
2005-05-04, 4:09 PM #17
using swgb graphics wouldnt be smart. If people want to make a general rpg server type thing, i reccomend looking around [url]www.otfans.net[/url] or serach for open tibia on sourceforge. Otserv is a opensource server for the Tibia client, which works quite well and would allow for some fun. Actually, now that i think about it, id be willing to help run one if we had a few people mapping and also someone good with c++. Probably not realistic though.

o.0
2005-05-04, 5:41 PM #18
I can barely understand Visual Basic, let alone write it, now how do you suppose I learn C? Although, if you can host it, I'll be gratefully thankful, and you'de be an administrator of course.

EDIT: Let me get one thing straight here: Your saying that you'll only host it if its with Otserv stuff and the tibia client?
2005-05-04, 5:48 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01
I can barely understand Visual Basic, let alone write it, now how do you suppose I learn C? Although, if you can host it, I'll be gratefully thankful, and you'de be an administrator of course.

If you can't understand it, then don't do it. Simple as that.

Oh and I wouldn't look too far forward into a coding career if I were you. There are a LOT more complicated languages than VB.
D E A T H
2005-05-04, 5:49 PM #20
They're all pretty similar, to me at least.

You can't even write in C? And you expect to have some sort of working netcode?
2005-05-04, 5:58 PM #21
Like I said, I didn't make the code, some one else did.
2005-05-04, 6:01 PM #22
Then what *did* you do, exactly?
2005-05-04, 6:31 PM #23
Freelancer: He stole some graphics and animations from SWG, wrote a simple storyline (probably using a simple editor), and called it a full MMO.

I would host it, but:

A. Illegal materials will never see my server's hard drive. Ditch the SWG stuff, make your own. Just because you don't have the time doesn't make it any less illegal.
B. I know this will never happen. And if the game is coming out the 19th like you say it is, it's going to look like utter crap.
C. You've yet to give us any concrete evidence of this game. Maybe a screenshot to wet our tastebuds? (As much as not releasing details does to marketing a game, no game ever stays quiet 15 days before launch)
D. The Konfuze engine? That thing is so whack right now, with the developers fighting amongst eachother, and buggy betas being released all the time, I'm sure this game will be juuust greeeeat.
2005-05-04, 7:20 PM #24
First of all, I didn't steal anything from SWG, because I don't even have it, second of all, people like me just use modding tools, 3rd of all, never said it was a full MMO its just a small desktop stress releiver that will try to be fun. That simple.
2005-05-04, 7:28 PM #25
Yes, I agree the game will look crappy, and I haven't posted screen shots because I don't want to. But the game WILL improve, Rome was not built in one night. All I can say is, you people speak fine of one individual who is doing everything himself alone, with no cooperation. Konfuze is screwed up at the moment, thats is why I'm begging to learn Visual Basic, to make my own game engine starting from the Mirage Source code, and you people should not attack some one or make fun of one just because there not doing what you want them to do. I'd like to see just one of you, who will step forward, and try to help...
2005-05-04, 7:31 PM #26
Oh and Cool Matty, I did a lot more than that cheap trick of yours to disencourage people. I will release this, but some of you, will not be able to join the game, since I will ban the IPs that I can, of those who bugged me to death.
2005-05-04, 7:35 PM #27
Not that it matters, but... "discourage" :).

Hey, if you can do this, then WERD UP G.
2005-05-04, 7:41 PM #28
Quote:
I haven't posted screen shots because I don't want to.

This is so unreasonable I have no choice but to assume that you're lying.
2005-05-04, 7:43 PM #29
No one is discouraging you.

We're dishing out REALITY.

You don't have any code.

You don't have any project.

There is no (try) game.

Pretending is something that makes a person UNCOOL.
2005-05-04, 7:43 PM #30
So wait, you're asking for hosting for a crappy half-assed reskin of an already poorly designed engine, and are elitistically threatening to ban anyone's IP who you dislike?

I thought we already had the thread where you proved all of our points. You wouldn't want to endure that punishment twice, would you? Which, by the way, you probably haven't even began developing, and more than likelly don't have the skills or ability to have a final product by the 19th. Even those of us who are skilled programmers (GoY?) couldn't accomplish what you've claimed in 3 different threads to be able to accomplish.

Honestly, I think we were all willing to assist you back when you had ideas and claimed to have coding knowledge. Now that you've gone superstar on us and became egotistical and self-serving, I think we're finding it easier and easier to unveil your 'MMORPG' for it's e-penis(TM) enlargement purposes. I'm not trying to put you down, but you have honestly gone from a kid with some ideas to a somewhat egotistical and defensive meany.

Try and accept that some people aren't going to see your ambitious ideas as a realistic ideal. Banning them from your game only lowers our image of you, and makes you out to be pretty immature.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-05-04, 8:01 PM #31
I said my dad had the coding knowledge, but he off on one his darn jobs again. And what punishment are you talking about? If some one wants to help me, all I need is just the graphics, I will deliver the game, that simple and straight forward. I need some one who can do some tiles, if some does it, I can bring in something worth while by may 19th, if I don't bring anything at all, ban me, I'm asking the people who run the place to do it. So some one, please help me with graphics, and I'll do plan b, which I will not discuss with any one here at the moment. So, graphics for characters is all I need. Oh and forget the flash deal, I'll fix that my self.
2005-05-04, 8:17 PM #32
Quote:
Oh and Cool Matty, I did a lot more than that cheap trick of yours to disencourage people. I will release this, but some of you, will not be able to join the game, since I will ban the IPs that I can, of those who bugged me to death.

A. What cheap trick? It's the plain truth that everyone has been preaching at you for months now. I didn't even start the stuff, I'm just breaking it down to small chunks for you to understand.

B. I'd like to see you IP ban me when you don't even know my IP in the first place, and thus will never know that I am in the game to start off with. (Unless I bother to provide this screen name)

C. Trust me, you aren't the first one to start some huge project. TCs, which were a heck of a lot simpler than this have failed miserably for years. And I won't even mention the adventures with acowner13.

D. Don't consider it bugging, consider it constructive criticism. We're telling you that from what you've told us so far, we cannot possibly believe you're doing what you say you are doing, or be able to finish it in the way you are describing.

E. The fact that you will not provide any sort of evidence to the contrary that this MMO exists doesn't help your argument any. Post a screenshot, and end all the bickering in one shot. That's all it would take. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.
2005-05-04, 8:58 PM #33
Quote:

EDIT: Let me get one thing straight here: Your saying that you'll only host it if its with Otserv stuff and the tibia client?

I wouldnt host anything, cause my pc sucks, along with my connection. Also, if you cant even understand VB.. this project = moot.

o.0
2005-05-04, 8:59 PM #34
I don't doubt that he will have his "game" ready by May 19th, because Konfuze is a very simple program and there isn't much to it. Considering he most likely isn't creating any original art or sounds, he could probably create a fairly large Konfuze game in a week.

But I doubt that anybody could produce a fun Konfuze game if they put their lives into it.
2005-05-04, 9:25 PM #35
If you haven't made a game before, I wouldn't suggest starting with an MMO. If you don't have a good deal of programming experience, I wouldn't suggest attempting a game. If you have trouble with VB, I wouldn't suggest tackling C++.

Yes, the idea of making an MMO is somewhat fascinating and nice to think about. But if you all can do is put together a storyline, throw some design ideas together, and bark orders, it is simply not realistic, especially in an independant development situation, to expect your game to be done within the next twenty years, let alone by the 19th.

As for picking up a programming book and being ready to code a game immediately, this is not realistic either. Learning a programming language is sort of like learning english. Just because you can write a few words on a piece of paper does not mean you can write a best-selling novel. However, the nice thing is, once you can write in one language, your work can be translated into other languages while maintaining it's integrity. In other words, ever seen one of those two-inch thick C++ books? After reading that, you will still not have a clue as to how to do something as simple as opening a window. You will be able to write the language, but without knowing how to use it or the theories to write code efficiently, you still only have the building blocks.

Right now, server hosting, getting a flash programmer, and ripping graphics from another game are the very least of your worries. My advice: learn how to do something, and learn how to do it well. It doesn't have to be programming. You say you are basic CGI artist, so I'd probably go farther with that. But learn how to do something, or you'll just be another, "HEY GUYS, I WANT TO MAKE A GAME" kiddie.
2005-05-05, 12:11 AM #36
Feel the hate.
2005-05-05, 12:26 AM #37
Everyone stop your whining and get off his back! He's giving it a go. All this negative attitude doesn't help his cause. Fair enough give him some constructive comments, but all this talk about "it's gonna be crappy" and "you'll never finish by the 19th" doesn't make his effort any easier. How about a bit of encouragement instead? We'll find out for sure about these claims on the 19th.

To be honest, I'm interested to see what will happen.
2005-05-05, 12:30 AM #38
He's not giving it a go... he's making stuff up.

Theres a difference.
2005-05-05, 12:34 AM #39
Maybe you're right. We'll see on the 19th.
2005-05-05, 3:55 AM #40
Quote:
I said my dad had the coding knowledge,

What, so your dad is making this thing now? How old are you kid?
nope.

↑ Up to the top!