Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Things That Have Always Bothered You
Things That Have Always Bothered You
2005-05-11, 7:15 PM #1
This is a thread idea which just occurred to me, so forgive me if it is unpolished. The idea is this: state something (probably very simple and trivial) that has bothered you for a long time, like some stupid saying, or some weird text on a comercial, etc. The next person can post an "answer" but this is not essential.

For me: I never understood why you see all those car adverts of these giant SUVs driving through some desert in the middle of nowhere, and at the bottom they somehow need to put: "Professional Driver. Closed Course. Do not attempt." Well duh, he's a professional, you're paying him to be on this commercial. And how is it a closed coarse? He's driving in the middle of freaking nowhere! If people want to go offroad its their problem.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-05-11, 7:18 PM #2
What bothers me are those advertisements that are connected via a perforated edge to the Sunday comics. It bugs the heck out of me! I always have to take the time to cleanly separate the ads from the comics, and half the time I usually end up tearing a chunk out of the comics, and I can't see some of the words. Why, god? WHY?!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-11, 7:19 PM #3
bad cartoons, HOW IS THAT CRAP FUNNY TO LITTLE KIDS?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-11, 7:20 PM #4
People that don't turn right.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-05-11, 7:21 PM #5
CYA stuff? Those big SUV's must cry themselves to sleep at night because people buy them and then only drive them 5 miles, through the city, to work every day.

It irks me when people are mentioning a group that includes themselves. They'll say, "myself and soandso..." which breaks two rules: always mention the other people first, and you can't use "myself" that way in the first place. That probably sounds a bit nitpicky, but it is an irk nonetheless.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-05-11, 7:21 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Daft_Vader
For me: I never understood why you see all those car adverts of these giant SUVs driving through some desert in the middle of nowhere, and at the bottom they somehow need to put: "Professional Driver. Closed Course. Do not attempt." Well duh, he's a professional, you're paying him to be on this commercial. And how is it a closed coarse? He's driving in the middle of freaking nowhere! If people want to go offroad its their problem.

That is to protect their *** from getting sued when some soccer mom rolls their SUV offroad with no idea of how to drive a vehicle with such a high center of gravity. In this day and age I think a warning is plenty justified.

It's a 'closed course' because the conditions are controlled.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-05-11, 7:22 PM #7
wow, quick responses!
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-05-11, 7:23 PM #8
Well, we are some very irked people.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-11, 7:24 PM #9
People who don't ****ing use turn signals I CANNOT READ YOUR GODDAMNED MIND ******!!!!!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-11, 7:24 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
That is to protect their *** from getting sued. In this day and age I think it's plenty justified.

It's a 'closed course' because the conditions are controlled.

This is true, although it is at the same time sad that some human beings can be so incredibly dim as to do such an idiotic thing and then try and blame it on someone else.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-05-11, 7:26 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf
People who don't ****ing use turn signals I CANNOT READ YOUR GODDAMNED MIND ******!!!!!

Truer words have never been spoken
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-05-11, 7:27 PM #12
Haha I was thinking about this too. I agree with the responses, but saying things like "professional so and so" is still silly to me .. obviously they're getting paid to do the commercial.
一个大西瓜
2005-05-11, 7:29 PM #13
Quote:

Oh jebus yes!! And even worse are those drivers who hover right in the freaking middle of a two-lane road wavering slightly and wondering how anyone could have the audacity to come within 10 of the speed limit. PICK A ****ING LANE ALREADY YOU TOSSER!!!
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-05-11, 7:29 PM #14
Ineffeciency
Accidently scratching a rug, or other similar surface. Sends a chill up my spine
Stupid people on the road
Ignorance
Man I could go on, but I gotta go right now,
2005-05-11, 7:34 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki
bad cartoons, HOW IS THAT CRAP FUNNY TO LITTLE KIDS?

I thought "Dexter's Laboratory" was funny. :(

"DEE DEE GET OUT OF MY LA-BOR-A-TORY!"

Heehee! But yeah, the rest were crap.
2005-05-11, 7:40 PM #16
i like Dexter, but stuff like power rangers, and everything else on ABC saturday morning 'cept Kim Possible
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-05-11, 8:10 PM #17
Quote:
Accidently scratching a rug, or other similar surface. Sends a chill up my spine

*shudder* Yes. Rugs, car doors, chalk boards (not for the sound, just the feeling of it).
2005-05-11, 8:20 PM #18
People.
2005-05-11, 8:25 PM #19
Aquateenhunger force is funny, gotta love adult swim on Cartoon network
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2005-05-11, 8:43 PM #20
Perhaps, but I hate people who make that their lives and spend all day recounting what happened ont he episode last night to all the other people who watched the exact same episode. Accursed herd consciousness.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-05-11, 8:45 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by F-Body
Aquateenhunger force is funny, gotta love adult swim on Cartoon network
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-05-11, 9:00 PM #22
I liked Dexter, and the older power rangers... interest kinda died though, but I guess that's natural.

Aside from the lack of turn signals and bad drivers, which is likely the worst of all (it doesn't get any more true than how JG puts it -- we're NOT mind readers!)
  • underwear commercials
  • how so many people are completely ignorant of how a stickshift works -- you may actually have to drive one someday, so you should at least know how to do it! (This is one reason I'm sticking with stickshift, aside from having bragging rights ;) :cool: )
  • spanish glossaries in an english textbook
  • toys always break too easily (or siblings play too hard, whichever is the case)
  • When people tell me something, I go and mention it and am proven wrong, and I find that person and they say I misunderstood

probably plenty more but that's all I'll list for now
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-05-11, 9:29 PM #23
Stepping in a small puddle on the floor while wearing socks.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2005-05-11, 9:53 PM #24
I really hate the fact that in order to get a degree from college or complete high school, we must first learn a foreign language when in actuality, most of the people i know can't even speak english!!! I'm talking about all of the posers who try to act black and use slang all of the damn time. I understand the use of jargon and a bit of slang for the sake of shortening you sentences, but this is simply stupid. I'm sorry, but I've heard "Where you at?" one too many times while attending college. SPEAK ENGLISH OR DON"T SPEAK AT ALL! I would even settle if you spoke french or spanish or any other language, just for the love of God and all things good and cute and furry (like baby chipmunks) in this world, speak it correctly!!!
I'm not wearing any pants...
2005-05-11, 9:56 PM #25
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis? ;)
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-05-11, 9:58 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanchi
I really hate the fact that in order to get a degree from college or complete high school, we must first learn a foreign language when in actuality, most of the people i know can't even speak english!!! I'm talking about all of the posers who try to act black and use slang all of the damn time. I understand the use of jargon and a bit of slang for the sake of shortening you sentences, but this is simply stupid. I'm sorry, but I've heard "Where you at?" one too many times while attending college. SPEAK ENGLISH OR DON"T SPEAK AT ALL! I would even settle if you spoke french or spanish or any other language, just for the love of God and all things good and cute and furry (like baby chipmunks) in this world, speak it correctly!!!

you do realize that if you went back in time 100 years and spoke what you consider to be "correct english" people wouldn't be able to understand half of what you say.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-05-11, 10:02 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Compos Mentis
you do realize that if you went back in time 100 years and spoke what you consider to be "correct english" people wouldn't be able to understand half of what you say.

true, but that's cuz 100 years ago, we spoke more of a british dialect. At least when i speak, it reflects proper grammer of our time (like what would be found in an eglish grammer book for a class) I've never seen ebonics in my english writing handbook. I mean some people are just making up stuff.
2005-05-11, 10:05 PM #28
Quote:

QFT. Slow drivers piss me off too.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2005-05-11, 10:13 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanchi
true, but that's cuz 100 years ago, we spoke more of a british dialect. At least when i speak, it reflects proper grammer of our time (like what would be found in an eglish grammer book for a class) I've never seen ebonics in my english writing handbook. I mean some people are just making up stuff.

YOU LOSE.

Because you spelled "grammar" WRONG.
2005-05-11, 10:15 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
YOU LOSE.

The grammar b******d strikes again! :p
2005-05-11, 10:17 PM #31
i said speak, not spell. I can't spell for noth'n.
2005-05-11, 10:19 PM #32
You still lose.
2005-05-11, 10:21 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
YOU LOSE.

You lose for two reasons. First, you started a sentence with a conjunction. Second, you used an adjective to describe a verb. I believe you meant "wrongly".
2005-05-11, 10:24 PM #34
You lose because your first sentence WAS A FRAGMENT!!!!!

LOLROXERMYBOXERS!
2005-05-11, 10:25 PM #35
Stupid people.
Stupid opinions.
You.
Hypocrites.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-11, 10:25 PM #36
No it isn't. It has a subject and a predicate.
2005-05-11, 10:29 PM #37
You still lose.
2005-05-11, 10:36 PM #38
Grammar Nazis bother me...intently.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-11, 10:40 PM #39
A great man once spoke thus (regarding the English language):

"It's like jazz. Once you know all the rules, then you can break them!"
--Ryan North
2005-05-11, 10:40 PM #40
People with "Jedi" in their name bother me.

↑ Up to the top!