Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Things That Have Always Bothered You
Things That Have Always Bothered You
2005-05-11, 11:02 PM #41
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanchi
I really hate the fact that in order to get a degree from college or complete high school, we must first learn a foreign language when in actuality, most of the people i know can't even speak english!!! I'm talking about all of the posers who try to act black and use slang all of the damn time. I understand the use of jargon and a bit of slang for the sake of shortening you sentences, but this is simply stupid. I'm sorry, but I've heard "Where you at?" one too many times while attending college. SPEAK ENGLISH OR DON"T SPEAK AT ALL! I would even settle if you spoke french or spanish or any other language, just for the love of God and all things good and cute and furry (like baby chipmunks) in this world, speak it correctly!!!

Ummmm. Colloquial conversation? Like you said, it's not a requirement to speak absolute perfect english every speaking moment.

Where you at isn't ebonic .. it's just convenient. Most of the time it's even correct, being "where're you at" slurred together.
一个大西瓜
2005-05-11, 11:05 PM #42
Strictly speaking, "Where are you at" isn't quite proper because it ends with a preposition. "Where are you" is more clear anyway.

Speaking of prepositions, there's a PBF comic for everything. ;)

Prepositions
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-05-11, 11:44 PM #43
sure it's not required to speak perfect english all of the time. And in my defense, it's not required to spell correctly all of the time either. I am trying to make two points.

1: A lot of this slang becomes popular because people think it's cool and not because it actually helps to improve understanding or because it's a matter of convenience.

2: I don't really have a problem with improper pronounceation or misspelling as long as i can still understand what they are trying to say (except in the case of heavily overused sayings such as "where you at?" simply cuz after the millionth time, it's anoying). But when it gets to the point that you cannot understand anything, it gets to be a problem. It would be different if this was a matter of regional dialect such as the difference between northerners and southerners, but i hear it all over the place.

And btw, i realize that i misspelled a lot and i lose at spelling and i admit i couldn't have passes english without spellcheck, so lemme be would ya?
I'm not wearing any pants...
2005-05-12, 12:43 AM #44
It bothers me when I go poop and the water splashes back up.

Thats why if the water aint clean, I aint going poop.
2005-05-12, 12:54 AM #45
The cold water splash is kind of refreshing if it's the middle of summer and your *** is sweating like crazy.
2005-05-12, 2:41 AM #46
Oh! I also hate it when I pour out a big bowl of cereal, and then I open the fridge only to find like one freakin' drop of milk in the bottle.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2005-05-12, 3:15 AM #47
COULDN'T.

that is all.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-05-12, 3:58 AM #48
When people say "Can I ask a question?" Well geez, I don't really have a choice there, do I? YOU JUST DID!

When people say "Life is short". Life is the longest thing you'll ever ******* do!
2005-05-12, 4:03 AM #49
I'm also really annoyed by people who, instead of asking direct interrogative questions ('did you wash the dishes?), say indicative statements and then ask if they're right. ('you washed the dishes. ...right?')
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-05-12, 4:27 AM #50
I hate those Bloody eSure "Calm down dear, it's only a commercial" crap with Michael Winner in them. Oh, and when people state the obvious (which I have a habit of doing myself) and when people type lk ths n mss t vry vwl. (This miss out every vowel)
nope.
2005-05-12, 5:14 AM #51
wait.. the english language has rules?
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-05-12, 5:17 AM #52
Yes, they're known as grammar.
nope.
2005-05-12, 5:40 AM #53
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
I hate those Bloody eSure "Calm down dear, it's only a commercial"

silence fool
2005-05-12, 5:43 AM #54
What bothers me?

Anytime anyone uses the contraction (or acronym, or whatever you'd consider it), "lol". That pisses me off to no end. I'm starting to make it a point to ask people if they *actually* laughed out loud before they typed that.

Also, stupid people. And ignorant people who pretend that they actually know something, and if you try to correct them they act all offended.

And ****ty computers, such as this one I'm on right now. HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO WORK WITH THE SCREEN SET AT BLOODY 800*600?!! I mean, as if the 1 Ghz processor, 128 megs of RAM, and the 20 gig hard drive weren't bad enough, they had to go set the screen at such a goddamned low resolution and then lock it so you can't change it... and to add insult to injury, they're running Windows 98. I've only been working here for 4 days and I've gotten a BSOD twice....

That is all.
Stuff
2005-05-12, 8:01 AM #55
What tends to get on my nerves is crappy music songs that some people listen to on their mobile-phones (I blame TRENDIES as they always do it on a regular basis. GRAAAH it gets on my goat! :mad:

Sorry.
'Its worth it all in the end when We Are On The Other Side Of The Moon and thats good enoguh for me"
2005-05-12, 8:17 AM #56
Like Mort.

People who say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" should be herded together and SHOT IN THE FACE WITH A SHOTGUN.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-05-12, 8:19 AM #57
Detty, along with the people responsible for those god-awful ringtones... Jamster.

I feel like tearing off chunks of their flesh and rubbing rock salt and TCP into the open wounds every time I hear that ****ing crazy frog.
2005-05-12, 9:15 AM #58
Can you still buy TCP? I haven't seen that stuff in years. Ahhh memories of pain.
nope.
2005-05-12, 9:21 AM #59
I have a serious problem with excessively negative people. They need to all die!! DIE!! DIE!!! (laughs in sarcasm and contradiction....)
2005-05-12, 9:34 AM #60
PEOPLE UNPLUGGING THE POWERCABLE TO MY LAPTOP!!!!! ahhh my brother did this last night, ARHG.
2005-05-12, 9:40 AM #61
Any person who adds "izzle" to anything...
The top ten times in history when using the "F" word
was appropriate.....
10) "What the *&%# was that?" -Mayor of Hiroshima - August 1945
9) "Where did all these *&%#ing Indians come from?" - Custer 1877
8) "Any *&%#ing idiot could understand that." - Einstein 1938
7) "It does SO *&%#ing look like her!" - Picasso 1926
6) "How the *&%# did you work that out?" - Pythagoras 126 BC
5) "You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo 1566
4) "I don't suppose it's gonna *&%#ing rain." - Joan of Arc 1434
3) "Scattered *&%#ing showers...my a$$!" - Noah 2114 BC
2) "I need this parade like I need a *&%#ing hole in my head!" -
JFK 1963
1) "Aw c'mon, who the *&%# is going to find out?" - Bill Clinton 1997
2005-05-12, 12:47 PM #62
Quote:
Originally posted by kyle90
What bothers me?

Anytime anyone uses the contraction (or acronym, or whatever you'd consider it), "lol". That pisses me off to no end. I'm starting to make it a point to ask people if they *actually* laughed out loud before they typed that.

Also, stupid people. And ignorant people who pretend that they actually know something, and if you try to correct them they act all offended.

And ****ty computers, such as this one I'm on right now. HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO WORK WITH THE SCREEN SET AT BLOODY 800*600?!! I mean, as if the 1 Ghz processor, 128 megs of RAM, and the 20 gig hard drive weren't bad enough, they had to go set the screen at such a goddamned low resolution and then lock it so you can't change it... and to add insult to injury, they're running Windows 98. I've only been working here for 4 days and I've gotten a BSOD twice....

That is all.

LOL!
2005-05-12, 7:38 PM #63
Something else that occurred to me today: It really "bothers" me when I pick up a 1/2 gallon of some Minute Maid grape juice, and on the side it says something along the lines of: "Now made with real Fruit Juice!"

Really? Well, this brings two questions to mind: 1) What the heck else would it be made with? and 2) What on earth was it made with before? 0_o
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-05-12, 7:39 PM #64
Something I hate is the "chicken and/or turkey sandwiches" they sell in the school cafeteria.

TELL ME WHAT THE **** AM I EATING???!!!!!
2005-05-12, 7:40 PM #65
Stupid people
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-05-12, 8:29 PM #66
Quote:
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
People who say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" should be herded together and SHOT IN THE FACE WITH A SHOTGUN.
Maybe they do mean they could care less. That's a worse "insult" type thing than not being able to care less, if you think about it... :)

Also, when church makes an announcement to turn off cell phones and pagers before mass, then during mass a cell phone goes off... YOU IDIOT! :mad:

Once, during the Christmas mass, it happened TWICE to the SAME PERSON!
It can't get any more rediculous or embarrassing than that!

One time the phone went off and the pink panther theme played... that was pretty funny :)
but otherwise it's a pain to have your attention totally stolen from the front because someone is too damn lazy to follow a simple request -- I have a hard enough time paying attention as it is!

[edit] Oh, the latest one! Microsoft. Particularly their help files, which often reference menu "buttons" that are not even there! :mad:
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-05-12, 9:54 PM #67
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
When people say "Life is short". Life is the longest thing you'll ever ******* do!
That is an unfounded assumption. STFU.

I don't like a lot of things. I hate Family Guy. I hate American Dad. I hate Shawn Desman. I hate all these ****ing Emo bastards thinking they are all original but they are just copying those Monkees-period bands. I hate Mudvayne. I hate "common sense." I hate Canadian pride. I hate people whose idea of freedom is being able to choose to be less free (this is not freedom). I hate it when girls can't STFU—most of you are not THAT cute. I hate people who point out how many Goth kids shop at Hot Topic. I hate Goth kids. I hate that most "intellectuals" are pretentious morons (and I am referring particularly to high stool intellectuals, that is to say, many of you). I hate anyone who tries to prove that "God does not exist," etc., using "logic" (all of these people need to STFU). I hate people who disagree on how to be stupid.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-05-13, 12:31 AM #68
  • People who chew with their mouth open (*smack-smack-GLONF!*)
  • People who talk with their mouth full ("Myeea-GLONF-y'see-GLONF-'ts'like this")
  • People who don't finish their sentences, and then expect you to give a response
  • People who think it's obvious what they're talking about but are incredibly vague (take this thing from there, move it over there on top of that other thing, be sure to watch for that though)
  • Fanatical xenophobic nationalists who have never even had the privilige of being abroad, let alone living somewhere where they speak another language, have a different currency, culture, history, ethnic majority, or even just even being best friends for your entire childhood with someone who comes from the other side of the world.
  • "OH EMM GEEE! WE SINGLEHANDEDLY SAVED U IN DUBBLE-YEW-DUBBLE-YEW TWO! U R UNGRATEFUL! U WUD BE EATING BRATWURST/SUSHI (omg! raw fish! eeeew!) IF MYYYY GRANDPAPPY HADN'T BEEN THERE! WE ARE MOLOCH! WE DEMAND UR CHILDREN AS SACRIFICE AND UR ETERNAL FEALTY TO COMPENSATE FOR YOUR LACK OF RESPECT TO TEH 1 REMAINING SOOPERPOWER! WRAAA!"
  • Sensationalists.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-05-13, 1:44 AM #69
should of | could of | would of
2005-05-13, 10:41 AM #70
Double negatives:

I never said nothin'.
I never did nothin'.
I didnt do nothin'.
etc...

SHUT UP! People sound like red-neck hillbillies when they talk like that, and I just want to get up and punch their teeth out.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2005-05-13, 10:44 AM #71
Oh...and...

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Tonberry

...I hate Family Guy. I hate American Dad... I hate Goth kids...I hate anyone who tries to prove that "God does not exist," etc., using "logic" (all of these people need to STFU)...

Agreed.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2005-05-13, 11:01 AM #72
Quote:
Originally posted by HAcKSaw
I have a serious problem with excessively negative people. They need to all die!! DIE!! DIE!!! (laughs in sarcasm and contradiction....)

Yea that pisses me off, especially girls who make constant references/complaints to/about their weight even though they don't have a weight problem at all. Its like they're fishing for compliments and then if you just agree with them they get all pissed off :D

Oh and people who walk like they're putting their hips out of joint cos they swagger so much. ****in' pull up your trousers and stop swinging down 45 degrees at each step.
/fluffle
2005-05-13, 11:06 AM #73
You know whats bothered me lately? The idiots that try to defend Michael Jackson. It's so freaking obvious that he's a homosexual pedophile and people still say, "No, he's not."

It makes me want to strangle someone.

↑ Up to the top!