Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Revenge of the Sith reviewed by Critics...
Revenge of the Sith reviewed by Critics...
2005-05-11, 7:26 PM #1
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

And, so far it apparently has not been a let down. This is very very good. Hopefully, George won't dissapoint for the rest of us.
All your bacon are belong to me

< robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
< bawss> Right click.

http://www.bash.org/?462310
2005-05-11, 7:36 PM #2
Some of those are a little hard to stomach...

Quote:
I imagine that Revenge of the Sith is very much the film Lucas's fans want to see, but are some of them ready for an anti-Bush diatribe?"

Quote:
"Will be remembered as one of the greatest movies ever made. 'Classic' isn't kind enough a word for this gem. The best film to be unleashed onto the public in 25 years!"
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-05-11, 7:37 PM #3
Ive been saying it for 3 years now. Revenge of the Sith will be the best of the prequels, and one ofthe best star wars movies, and will rock you.
2005-05-11, 7:43 PM #4
I maintain my position.

I'll believe it all when I see it. Until such a time, I remain doubtful.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-05-11, 7:45 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_9286
I maintain my position.

I'll believe it all when I see it. Until such a time, I remain doubtful.

I stand with that position.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-11, 7:47 PM #6
It is what it is. High expectations have killed the experience. I want to go into this movie the way I went into A New Hope when I first saw it---unsure of what to expect and open-minded. This is a movie that could be truly nostalgic to anyone willing to go back to the prequel of their own lives, the prequel before they saw Star Wars.
2005-05-11, 7:57 PM #7
Quote:
For every thrilling space battle or lightsaber dual you get, you get two scenes with embarrassingly bad dialogue and line delivery."

Yep. In true Star Wars fashion.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-05-11, 7:59 PM #8
Some of the "fresh" reviews aren't that positive. This all-or-nothing system Rottentomatoes uses is a bit misleading.
2005-05-11, 8:02 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn42689
Some of the "fresh" reviews aren't that positive. This all-or-nothing system Rottentomatoes uses is a bit misleading.

A agree. It seems kind of simplistic to me to call a movie either "fresh" or "rotten", same with "two thumbs up" - its really not detailed enough.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-05-11, 9:36 PM #10
not to mention with the quotes, they just put "two thumbs up" or "great movie"... when the source may have actually said "This could have been a great movie if..." or "I would have put my two thumbs up except that..."

;)
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-05-12, 4:38 PM #11
I'm prepared to love this movie, no matter what. It would take a major catastrophe to make me dislike it.
2005-05-12, 4:40 PM #12
Considering the fact that I like the first two prequels, I don't think there's any way I'll be let down here.
>>untie shoes
2005-05-12, 4:44 PM #13
Yeah, you're right, they can't get any worse. :p
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-05-12, 5:22 PM #14
It's kinda true. AotC was exponentially better than TPM. If lucas follows the same model, then RotS should be great, because AotC was pretty damned decent.

I just really like the way the first two prequels set up the story.
>>untie shoes
2005-05-12, 5:26 PM #15
I just wish Yoda could be a puppet again. :(

Heck, I'd prefer it if they hung him from strings for the saber duels. Seriously.
2005-05-12, 5:29 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn42689
I just wish Yoda could be a puppet again. :(

Aye, at least the CGI Yoda they're using this time looks consistent from scene to scene. Not like the awful one in AOTC.
2005-05-12, 11:55 PM #17
Theres only two things I hope are completely explained in Episode 3..

1. What's this disappearing act that Yoda and Obi Wan are able to do, give more info on it

2. Who the hell is/was Sypho Dias.... If it's sidious I still dont understand how the Jedi knew of him, etc, or what it may be.....
2005-05-13, 12:10 AM #18
here's what i expect to see... DARTH VADER

i don't care about the rest of the movie... vader instanly makes the movie rock...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-05-13, 12:13 AM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Temperamental
Theres only two things I hope are completely explained in Episode 3..

1. What's this disappearing act that Yoda and Obi Wan are able to do, give more info on it

2. Who the hell is/was Sypho Dias.... If it's sidious I still dont understand how the Jedi knew of him, etc, or what it may be.....

1) They both learn this "trick" through Qui-Gon Jinn. Yoda learns it on Dagobah and Obi-Wan learns the secret while in seclusion on Tatooine.

2) Sorry if it disappoints, but Sifo-Dyas is Sifo-Dyas. He was a Jedi master that ordered the creation of a clone army and was later killed by Count Dooku (I think). But he did order the clones. I think it is explained in either Labyrinth of Evil or one of the Star Wars comics.
2005-05-13, 11:16 AM #20
Spork, there is a very, very strong anti-Bush theme to this movie, if you look closely enough.

TimeWolfofthPast, there *was* a backstory of Count Dooku and the creation of the clone army for Episode II, but Lucas chose to get rid of that for a 20 minute Mega Man video game in the droid factory cause he "really wanted to see R2-D2 fly."
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-05-13, 12:03 PM #21
The puppet Yoda in TPM was HORRIBLE. The CGI one in AotC is vastly superior.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-05-13, 1:39 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by THRAWN
Spork, there is a very, very strong anti-Bush theme to this movie, if you look closely enough.

Some times if you look hard enough, you will see things that don't exist. Besides, how do you know if you haven't seen it?

However, I am tired of seeing movies containing stupid, "Bush is teh stupidzor!!1!OMGone" themes. Instead of using any wit, they resort to the type of bashing three years old often employ. I wonder if these people realize how petty and stupid their movie will look in twenty years, if much of it is dedicated to clunky political jabs. Seriously, if you want a good movie, leave the obtuse political jabs to Fahrenheit 9/11.

This rant is about Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy rather than Episode III, which i haven't seen yet.
2005-05-13, 2:22 PM #23
Actually Obi, he's right. It's been said in reviews to keep an eye out for it.
2005-05-13, 2:29 PM #24
Obi_Kwiet, read the book. The book carries the theme of the Anti-Bush. I am not saying I support the anti-Bush in the movie, and personally it disgusts me. Hell look at the old Star Wars trilogy, it carried alot of the Vietnam War theme. The poorly equipped, vastly outnumbered and outgunned Rebel Alliance (The Vietnamese) defeats the incredibly large and powerful Galactic Empire (The American War Machine) who thinks there way of running things is the best. Again not saying I agree or disagree.

But when you watch the movie, look how they treat Chancellor Palpatine. Palpatine is supposedly played incredibly well, but every other character thinks he is too powerful politically, gaining too much influence over everyone too quickly in the name of peace and justice; taking away the rights of the citizens and personal security in order to "protect" everyone. So who does Palpatine sound like?

The formation of the Galactic Empire scene is the most sickening anti-Bush moment in the story from the book. And odds are it'll be almost identical to the movie. The movie starts off with a giant ship crashing on Coruscaunt, destroying lives and buildings and causing large amounts of devistation. The Jedi Temple looks like the WTC when the smoke is coming out of it. There really is alot of Anti-Bush stuff in the movie, and it's not "OMG TEH BUSH IS EVIL" but it's subliminal. Hell I didn't even SEE IT until a guy I know told me. I went back and looked and sure enough, it is there.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-05-13, 2:47 PM #25
Well, THRAWN, while I'm not disagreeing, I will say that I've come to two conclusions about that.

1) You won't see the resmblence unless you want to see it

or

2) You won't see it until someone tells you about it.

I really think its just how one perceives things.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-05-13, 2:59 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by THRAWN
Obi_Kwiet, read the book. The book carries the theme of the Anti-Bush. I am not saying I support the anti-Bush in the movie, and personally it disgusts me. Hell look at the old Star Wars trilogy, it carried alot of the Vietnam War theme. The poorly equipped, vastly outnumbered and outgunned Rebel Alliance (The Vietnamese) defeats the incredibly large and powerful Galactic Empire (The American War Machine) who thinks there way of running things is the best. Again not saying I agree or disagree.

But when you watch the movie, look how they treat Chancellor Palpatine. Palpatine is supposedly played incredibly well, but every other character thinks he is too powerful politically, gaining too much influence over everyone too quickly in the name of peace and justice; taking away the rights of the citizens and personal security in order to "protect" everyone. So who does Palpatine sound like?

The formation of the Galactic Empire scene is the most sickening anti-Bush moment in the story from the book. And odds are it'll be almost identical to the movie. The movie starts off with a giant ship crashing on Coruscaunt, destroying lives and buildings and causing large amounts of devistation. The Jedi Temple looks like the WTC when the smoke is coming out of it. There really is alot of Anti-Bush stuff in the movie, and it's not "OMG TEH BUSH IS EVIL" but it's subliminal. Hell I didn't even SEE IT until a guy I know told me. I went back and looked and sure enough, it is there.

It depends on what you mean by Anti-Bush. If you are convinced that Bush is an evil, empire building cooperate scum, well, you could see anti-Bush elements in any movie. I was upset about how they ruined Zapod to make a rather clumsy political jab.

I don't know what you're talking about in the books. I've read them. They were written before most people had even heard of Bush Jr.

EDIT: Whoa wait.. You were talking about the RotS book, not the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
2005-05-13, 3:02 PM #27
We have reason to believe there may be an oil field under the Jedi temple.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-05-13, 3:06 PM #28
You guys are seriously finding things that just aren't there. Stop looking for symbolism.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-05-13, 3:08 PM #29
The Star Wars movies do carry themes of what was going on in history, both past and present. The OT had elements of WWII and Vietnam, one could assume that the PT has elements that are going on in this time as well.
2005-05-13, 3:12 PM #30
There may be hidden symbolism, but you guys are just poking holes in places where there arent any symbols. ITS JUST A FREAKING MOVIE!
nope.
2005-05-13, 3:17 PM #31
I'm not poking holes, I'm just saying such a possiblity of symbolism is possible, as Lucas has said his films relate a lot to historical events. In reality, I don't care, people who overanalyze stuff need lives.
2005-05-13, 4:29 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by tinny
We have reason to believe there may be an oil field under the Jedi temple.

<3
2005-05-13, 4:43 PM #33
Fox News did a piece on EP III. And I'm sure you all are going to be SO suprised to hear this but the ENTIRE MOVIE was done in front of a green screen. They did not leave the sets. So yes folks, Episode III is 95% computer generated.

Y'all wanna buy those tickets right now?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-05-13, 4:49 PM #34
Because whether or not they used real sets will curb my enthusiasm.
nope.
2005-05-13, 6:24 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf
Fox News did a piece on EP III. And I'm sure you all are going to be SO suprised to hear this but the ENTIRE MOVIE was done in front of a green screen. They did not leave the sets. So yes folks, Episode III is 95% computer generated.

Y'all wanna buy those tickets right now?

Sin City was filmed all in front of green screen as well. I loved it. Next argument...
2005-05-13, 6:24 PM #36
I was never enthused to begin with, but that does dissapoint me. Unless, of course, it ends up looking like Sin City. At which point I'll still be dissapointed, but won't care since I can't tell.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-05-13, 7:29 PM #37
who cares man? If Lucas wants to spend his money and have all of his scenes using CGI, go ahead. i have no problems with it. In the end, he is gonna make atleast 2x the amount of money spent on CGI.
All your bacon are belong to me

< robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
< bawss> Right click.

http://www.bash.org/?462310
2005-05-13, 7:51 PM #38
Remember, what the viewer does not know about the film can't hurt him (or her.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-13, 8:04 PM #39
Palpatine's supposed to be Hitler.
I dunno, maybe I was the only person who noticed the whole "Stormtroopers", "Chancellor", "War Time Emergency Powers", "Ethnic Cleansing", "Ultimate Power", "Master Race" thing...
Maybe I missed Bush's speech where he announced he would not allow elections? Or would be rounding all persons of middle-eastern decent and having his elite guard vaporize them?

-I'm trying to be sarcastic here, but by invoking Hitler and possibly comparing Bush to him in some people's eyes (not meant in seriousness), I may have doomed this topic...
2005-05-13, 8:24 PM #40
I think your sarcasm summed up what lucas was trying to do perfectly. However, those anti-bush fanatics see evil Bush in their breakfast cereal every morning, so its only natural that they'll see him in a movie that has any form of politics in it.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.

↑ Up to the top!