Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → adventures in babysitting
adventures in babysitting
2005-05-13, 9:58 AM #1
A couple of days ago, I posted a question here about loading mod levels in Outcast. When I came back to check the responses, my thread had been moved to the dead (tech) board and the only responses I got were from a couple of children joking about the moderators.

I came back today to see if anyone had helped, and my thread is GONE! I realized when I first came here that this forum is crawling with children, and thats cool, you guys need a place to hang out too, but my question is, is the boards moderated by children as well? I mean, if I can't ask a "star wars game" question here at geek central, where can I ask? Would it help if I took my mom as a date to the prom?
2005-05-13, 10:02 AM #2
Your thread is right here. It was older than 2 days, and the forum only lists 2-day old topics by default. You can change that at the bottom of the page.

For the record, I'm 21.
2005-05-13, 10:06 AM #3
Well, thats just stupid. Tech questions especially should stay where they are as a reference for others with the same problem.

All the non star wars related stuff on THIS board stays, I still have to ask, are children moderating this forum?
2005-05-13, 10:06 AM #4
Crawling with children? Umm...okay..
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-13, 10:07 AM #5
There are no other children than those-

Yeah. No children moderating this forum.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-13, 10:08 AM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by rudder1599
Well, thats just stupid. Tech questions especially should stay where they are as a reference for others with the same problem.

All the non star wars related stuff on THIS board stays, I still have to ask, are children moderating this forum?

No...maybe because these threads are more active. :rolleyes:
2005-05-13, 10:08 AM #7
Rudder - that's what the "Search" function is for.

And no, children don't moderate this forum, AFAIK. They only come here and whine about the mods. :p
2005-05-13, 10:09 AM #8
Lol, don't get your panties in a bunch. I was TRYING to get a reaction.
2005-05-13, 10:11 AM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman
No...maybe because these threads are more active. :rolleyes:

Active or not, tech questions and replies should be readily available. I looked for a thread with my problem when I came here, if I'd found an answer, you guys would've never heard from me.
2005-05-13, 10:11 AM #10
Quote:
Lol, don't get your panties in a bunch. I was TRYING to get a reaction.

From what I see, it seems that you didn't check how to search for threads before calling us and the mods children.

Looks like adventures of observation!
2005-05-13, 10:12 AM #11
Quote:
Active or not, tech questions and replies should be readily available.
Are you suggesting that we should've been waiting here to answer your question? :confused:
2005-05-13, 10:14 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman
From what I see, it seems that you didn't check how to search for threads before calling us and the mods children.

Looks like adventures of observation!

How many boards do you visit? You shouldn't have to search for a post. And if I have to search for it, so does everyone else. How can anyone else post help? It makes no sense!
2005-05-13, 10:16 AM #13
I'm active on three boards and the search function works perfectly on all three of them. Even children have been known to use it. :p
2005-05-13, 10:18 AM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
I'm active on three boards and the search function works perfectly on all three of them. Even children have been known to use it. :p

I know how to use a search function.

Explain to me the logic of hiding a thread asking for help after only a couple of days. Am I the ONLY person that thinks this is retarded?
2005-05-13, 10:21 AM #15
It saves bandwidth by keeping the pages smaller, and keeps the boards neater.

Is it that hard to bump your own thread after it falls off of the page?
2005-05-13, 10:22 AM #16
You seem confused. The moderators had nothing to do with hiding the thread. That's just how the forum functions, and it's not like you can't just change which threads are shown.
2005-05-13, 10:22 AM #17
Saves bandwidth for the brilliance posted on this board? Nice priorities.
2005-05-13, 10:27 AM #18
Just go into your "User CP" on the upper right, into your options and change the thread view to "365 days" for all I care. *****ing about a forum that hides old and inactive threads, and treating the mods and everyone else like children when they had nothing to do with your thread disappearing, is childish at best.
2005-05-13, 10:30 AM #19
The first person who responded in your thread answered your question. [edit]They may have given a vague answer, but it's right nonetheless.[/edit]

In other forums I visit, if it's a regularly asked question, most people tell you to search for it because they don't want to have to explain everything for the 50th time. Usually only important information gets "sticky-ed". The forums here also have viewing options at the bottom of the page, so you can choose to show "last 5 days", "last 10 days", etc.
2005-05-13, 10:33 AM #20
Quote:
Just go into your "User CP" on the upper right, into your options and change the thread view to "365 days" for all I care. *****ing about a forum that hides old and inactive threads, and treating the mods and everyone else like children when they had nothing to do with your thread disappearing, is childish at best.

Lol, does everyone here have thier options set like that? Right. My thread wasn't "old", it should be there for viewing. The fact that the threads ARE still here, just hidden, makes the bandwidth argument moot.

Why did I post this to begin with? In case whoever is in charge read it, they'd realize how STUPID thier system is.

For those of you who aren't children, I appologize. From the topics here and the couple of responses I got, I assumed this place was for 13 year olds.
2005-05-13, 10:36 AM #21
Quote:
The fact that the threads ARE still here, just hidden, makes the bandwidth argument moot.

Not really. The old topics aren't on the page at all, thus the page is shorter, and is smaller kb-wise.

Quote:
In case whoever is in charge read it, they'd realize how STUPID thier system is.

There's nothing quite stupid about it. If your thread went for two days without anyone posting on it, more than likely no one had anything to contribute. These forums are quite active.
2005-05-13, 10:40 AM #22
Quote:
Not really. The old topics aren't on the page at all, thus the page is shorter, and is smaller kb-wise.

There's nothing quite stupid about it. If your thread went for two days without anyone posting on it, more than likely no one had anything to contribute. These forums are quite active.

Oh, gimme a break. There are tons of people just like me who can't check thier forums everyday. Two days? You don't think thats just a little bit short? Name one other forum with this policy and I'll shut up and leave.
2005-05-13, 10:44 AM #23
BAM.
2005-05-13, 10:46 AM #24
Quote:
BAM.

Not quite. They have the pages listed at the bottom.
2005-05-13, 10:47 AM #25
So do these forums. And those pages still only show 2 days of topics. Nice try, though.
Attachment: 5077/pages.jpg (19,689 bytes)
2005-05-13, 10:52 AM #26
This is what I see on the tech page.

[largeimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/apegrill/retarded.jpg[/largeimg]
2005-05-13, 10:53 AM #27
LOL

"fuxxored my DVD drive"
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2005-05-13, 10:53 AM #28
See the drop box that says last 2 days? Click that, click the begining, then stop complaining.
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2005-05-13, 10:54 AM #29
Quote:
This is what I see on the tech page.

That's because there's quite obviously only a couple topics that are less than 2 days old.
Quote:
Originally posted by Clueless_of_Morg
See the drop box that says last 2 days? Click that, click the begining, then stop complaining.

I already told him that. :-\
2005-05-13, 10:54 AM #30
The default has been 2 days for pretty much the entire time Massassi has had real forums... so for at least the past 4-5 years or more. In all that time, no one other than yourself, not a single person out of the 10,000 plus registered members who have browsed the forums, has ever complained.

Threads dont go anywhere... they just arent displayed if they get old because this cuts down on the intesnity of queries that the database needs to run, which helps the site to run and load a lot faster for everyone. If you really want to though, you can change the number of days you want threads to be displayed from at the bottom of the page.

And your thread was moved because you posted it in the wrong forum... "how to" technology related posts belong in the tech forum.
2005-05-13, 10:56 AM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Clueless_of_Morg

No, I'd rather not. They give this POS board 70 topics and the tech board only 10? If you don't find that stupid then you have to question yourself.
2005-05-13, 10:57 AM #32
According to this page, the tech forum has 1689 topics.

(thanks, shintock :) )
2005-05-13, 10:58 AM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
The default has been 2 days for pretty much the entire time Massassi has had real forums... so for at least the past 4-5 years or more. In all that time, no one other than yourself, not a single person out of the 10,000 plus registered members who have browsed the forums, has ever complained.

Threads dont go anywhere... they just arent displayed if they get old because this cuts down on the intesnity of queries that the database needs to run, which helps the site to run and load a lot faster for everyone. If you really want to though, you can change the number of days you want threads to be displayed from at the bottom of the page.

And your thread was moved because you posted it in the wrong forum... "how to" technology related posts belong in the tech forum.

And you're wrong about that. I joined I think in '03, and the boards were completely different. More traditional.
2005-05-13, 10:59 AM #34
DS - posts, not topics. :p

Not like this guy is going to care anyways. I already told him how to change the default view in his User CP.
2005-05-13, 10:59 AM #35
DSettahr knows better than you, duh.

Hm, why is there 10 threads in Tech forum for 2 days while 70 in the discussion forum for two days? Maybe there has been only 10 topics on the Tech forum for two days... It shows 10 out of 1689 because people have responded to 10 threads out of 1689 in two days!

Oh my!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-13, 10:59 AM #36
Quote:
According to this page, the tech forum has 11163 topics.

Look at the bottom of the page, Einstein. It says "showing 10 of 10 topics."
2005-05-13, 11:01 AM #37
Haha, love the new custom title. ^^
2005-05-13, 11:06 AM #38
Look, all you have to do is click on the dropdown box at the bottom that says "show posts from" and select "the beginning." Every single thread ever posted will then be displayed for your viewing pleasure. It's not that hard.

Quote:
Look at the bottom of the page, Einstein. It says "showing 10 of 10 topics."

Read the whole line. It says, " Showing threads 1 to 10 of 10, sorted by last post time in descending order, from last 2 days."

All you have to do is use the drop down box on the right to select how far back you want threads to be displayed from.
2005-05-13, 11:09 AM #39
Quote:
Look, all you have to do is click on the dropdown box at the bottom that says "show posts from" and select "the beginning." Every single thread ever posted will then be displayed for your viewing pleasure. It's not that hard.

YES. I understand that. For the 100th time.

The point I'm trying to get across is, does ANYONE else do that when they're looking at the tech board? NO! So how can you get a question answered when the boneheads in charge only give it two days? It's just DUMB!!
2005-05-13, 11:11 AM #40
By posting in your own thread to BUMP IT. Try listening to what we say.

↑ Up to the top!