Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PS3, Revolution and 360
PS3, Revolution and 360
2005-05-17, 1:51 PM #1
Which one(s) do you plan to get at this point, now that the consoles have all been shown (less the Revolution's controller)?

And what do you think of each...

I definitely want the 360, and will be VERY likely to get the revolution... the PS3... I don't know about yet.

I think the 360 has some of the best features, may wind up still being pretty big, but that wouldn't bother me, so long as I can play it.

The Revolution is, IMO sexy. It's very slick, simple, and small. Plus I've always been a big supporter of Nintendo, mostly because they focus more on the system being able to play games, with less focus on DVD playback, and other features that by now most people probably have already (like MP3 playback, or something...) They're main objective is gaming, and I respect that greatly.

The PS3... while it might be the most powerful, but I've never been a huge fan of the playstation systems... the only time I was was when all I had was the PS2, but then I finally got an XBOX, and I've been in love ever since, the biggest reason I still have a PS2 is the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts Games.

Revolution Information:
http://cube.ign.com/

XBOX360 Information
http://xbox360.ign.com/

PS3 Information
http://ps3.ign.com/
2005-05-17, 1:55 PM #2
Ps3 for me.... I'm a sony fanboy.

Although the revolution is intruiging.

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/615/615030/imgs_1.html
nope.
2005-05-17, 1:58 PM #3
Still undecided, but will probably go 360.

It all depends on the games.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-05-17, 2:17 PM #4
I have never been in any way, shape or form a fanboy for Sony, Playstation, or Microsoft. I've always been into PC gaming, and never was really blown away by any particular console. However, when the Playstation 3 is released, I'll be buying 2 for myself, and one for my dog. And I don't even have a dog.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2005-05-17, 2:54 PM #5
Revolution, mostly because I'm not loaded enough to buy 'em all and I've been one to favor Nintendo in the past. We'll have to see how it plays out.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2005-05-17, 3:08 PM #6
PS3.

I have never understood why hey way a console looks on the outside has anything to do with a person's decision to buy a console.
Pissed Off?
2005-05-17, 3:13 PM #7
Too early for me to tell.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-05-17, 3:21 PM #8
Revolution and PS3
D E A T H
2005-05-17, 3:28 PM #9
The poll isn't fair anyways. So far all we have is hype from two systems and just an idea for Revolution. We've seen nothing from Revolution except that Metroid Prime 3 shot which is unclear whether that is actually Revolution. It looks more like Gamecube.

I'm leaning towards PS3 and Revolution. X-box360 is just eh IMO
2005-05-17, 4:01 PM #10
I am gonna buy a PS3 as my first ever console cause I am a huge fan of playstation and Final Fantasy and with backwards capibilties I will be able to own every one.

And I hate XBOX!
My New Website
I AM CANADIAN! And you're not!

I'm a Ninja... A Kawaski Ninja

Get Firefox!
2005-05-17, 4:04 PM #11
All 3.

I honestly think the Xbox 360 is going to be this generation's golden boy. It has a lot of features that Xbox owners have cried for, it has hardware beefy enough to run just about anything (just a tad short of the PS3), and - and this is a total guess, since we haven't seen the Revolution's controller which is supposed to make the system special - the best controller this generation. They also have a solid commitment to HDTV support: all games will be 720p widescreen. All of them.

The PS3 is a different beast. By far and large it has the most powerful hardware this generation, which is a welcome change from the last generation. It doesn't mean a lot though. The PS2 has the slowest hardware of the current 3 but it is still the most popular.

The Revolution isn't that impressive, but we haven't seen the controllers yet. I think the most interesting thing we've seen from Revolution is the ability to download NES/SNES/N64 games and play them. If they add Gameboy games to that, and release a DS Player for the Revolution..... I'd buy it. But I'll buy it as soon as a new Metroid comes out for it anyway.

The Gameboy Micro is a pathetic addition to Nintendo's hardware lineup and they should be ashamed at how retarded they are.
2005-05-17, 4:27 PM #12
The PS2 has the slowest hardware of the current generation because it came out well before the other two. Despite that, it's still competitive because game designers know how to get the most out of what;s there.
Pissed Off?
2005-05-17, 4:39 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon`C
All 3.

I honestly think the Xbox 360 is going to be this generation's golden boy. It has a lot of features that Xbox owners have cried for, it has hardware beefy enough to run just about anything (just a tad short of the PS3), and - and this is a total guess, since we haven't seen the Revolution's controller which is supposed to make the system special - the best controller this generation. They also have a solid commitment to HDTV support: all games will be 720p widescreen. All of them.

The PS3 is a different beast. By far and large it has the most powerful hardware this generation, which is a welcome change from the last generation. It doesn't mean a lot though. The PS2 has the slowest hardware of the current 3 but it is still the most popular.

The Revolution isn't that impressive, but we haven't seen the controllers yet. I think the most interesting thing we've seen from Revolution is the ability to download NES/SNES/N64 games and play them. If they add Gameboy games to that, and release a DS Player for the Revolution..... I'd buy it. But I'll buy it as soon as a new Metroid comes out for it anyway.

The Gameboy Micro is a pathetic addition to Nintendo's hardware lineup and they should be ashamed at how retarded they are.

Uh...the PS3 spanks the X Box last I checked. Not just a hair shy, spanks. Feel free to tell me if/why I'm wrong though--because quite frankly I'm wondering how you got that it's just a hair better.

What really matters is the games anyways--with more than a year for launching the PS3, they'd better listen to the feedback on the controller and change it posthaste, and there's still a lot they can add/take away if needbe. The biggest thing is they need to get the yields on Cell processors up.
D E A T H
2005-05-17, 4:48 PM #14
Quote:
All 3.

720p is NOTHING SPECIAL with the new generation of games. PS3 will have 1080i support for every single game, just like Xbox360, plus it is the ONLY console to actually support 1080p (Progressive). That techonology hasn't even come out yet.

Also the Xbox360's hardware is a bit less than "a tad less than the PS3". While they are probably meaningless stats, i think the PS3 can give off about 4x as many GFLOPS as Xbox360. (If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. Just going off of what I saw last night in my mad refreshing of IGN)

The thing that I'm getting really pissed off at Xbox360 is that all they have is Halo 3. What game are they promoting? Halo 3, Halo 3, and did I mention Halo 3. How about Bill Gates stop talking about Halo 3? For god's sake start actually mentioning some other games. I'm never going to get a conosle just to play Halo 3. While it may be a terrific game, it's not 300 dollars. Also, it is true that they are giving Xbox fans the features that they want. But you know what, so is Sony. Sony learned a lot from Xbox Live, and they mean to correct that definitley. I don't think it will have that advantage any more. Now don't get me wrong, the Xbox360 will probably be a magnificient piece of hwardware, it's just that it really doesn't have a signifigant advantage anymore over Sony.

Personally, I'm looking at the PS3 by far the most out of any console. Revolution looks cool, but I think it will get slaughtered by both Xbox360 and PS3. Although that N64 download feature is really cool, I don't think it is really terrific. Xbox360, for the reasons above, just doesn't have the library, even with supposed 160 games that are in development. Plus, I just don't like the look :)

I go with Ps3 for the sheer power, the looks, and the games. I'm gonna love having GTA 4 , GT5, and MGS:4, AND Killzone 2 as potential launch titles (Killzone 2 and GTA4 are definitley launch titles). Those three could keep me occupied for at least a month or three until the games start chruning out. I don't want to buy Xbox360, and wait 5 months for Halo 3.

I guess this is my ranking of the consoles so far, and their initial presentations.
PS3 - 9/10 (controllers kind of pisse me off)
Xbox360 - 6.5/10 (I think that MS kind of killed themselves with their MTV Idea)
Revolution - 3
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-05-17, 4:54 PM #15
I completely agree with Dj Yoshi's sentiments. PS3 + change controller.

Although I'm a little less excited about video games these days. I've become a little disillusioned, especially with Square (Enix). The only things I'm interested in: maybe the new GTA game if it is a significant change and significantly more awesome than San Andreas, and MGS4 (hopefully, Kojima will direct, or at least has a very active role in its production, and knowing him he probably will but will have no director credited). Maybe the new Gran Turismo if it is significantly more awesome. I'll wait and see. Right now I favour Sony (although I love Nintendo a lot also). I think PS3 should have a Dual Shock 3 (I love these guys). I think I'll be looking at what games they have to offer. It has to be a significant improvement or I'm not really interested (I'd go only as far as MGS4 + PS3, unless MGS4 pulls an MGSII-2 [this is a reference to FFX-2, which I hated—I literally played it for 5 minutes, took it out, put in FFVII and started playing it again]).

I suck at 3D modelling, I can't do it at all. But seeing Knockout Kings and Killzone and whatever screenshots they released, it seems to me that the technology has suddenly exceeded the artistic abilities of the game developers (and that's just sad, because they've been whining for years that their work sucks only because the technology is weak).
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-05-17, 5:01 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Uh...the PS3 spanks the X Box last I checked. Not just a hair shy, spanks. Feel free to tell me if/why I'm wrong though--because quite frankly I'm wondering how you got that it's just a hair better.

The stats you've seen are basically useless.

The Cell processor is interesting and all, but it has a practically insignificant contribution to the PS3's overall processing power. 2 TFLOPs - 1.5 of which are provided by the NVIDIA GPU alone.

[Edit: To explain, both the Cell and the NVIDIA GPU contain specialized pathways for specialized tasks. The PS3 isn't a supercomputer - you can't tap all of that processing power toward number crunching. The bulk of it is in the rendering pipeline since it - and the Xbox - use floating point buffer and texture formats. So it really isn't useful for data unless you read back from the render target, which is a slow operation]

Meanwhile the Xbox is using a similarly advanced post-X850 ATI GPU. So it all comes down to the competition between NVIDIA and ATI which - as we know - is complete nonsense. You're going to get a killer performance no matter which card you go with.
2005-05-17, 5:04 PM #17
Quote:
The stats you've seen are basically useless.

The Cell processor is interesting and all, but it has a practically insignificant contribution to the PS3's overall processing power. 2 TFLOPs - 1.5 of which are provided by the NVIDIA GPU alone.

Meanwhile the Xbox is using a similarly advanced post-X850 ATI GPU. So it all comes down to the competition between NVIDIA and ATI which - as we know - is complete nonsense. You're going to get a killer performance no matter which card you go with.

After seeing the recent demonstration of the Cell's power, I'm quite impressed with it. Of course, I have not much else to go by on its stats except for conceptual knowledg which, as we all know, doesn't always work, but still.

Also, isn't the new nV card 2x6800U's? Conceptually speaking, that would spank the next ATi GPU I believe, seeing as how it's 24 pipelines.

Could be wrong.
D E A T H
2005-05-17, 5:14 PM #18
I'm not sure of any of the new consoles alltogether. In past times, there's always been a huge technological gap between each console, great differences. That was always my major impetus for buying a new system, all the great looking games for each one. But now, it seems all they're really doing is shoving everything that they can into metal boxes, all things that aren't that much greater then their previous consoles they are taking the place of.

Sure, it looks great, has some neat features, but would you really fork over $300+ for things you already have? Who doesn't have a DVD player, USB ports, a lot more space already on their hard drives, or even Wi-Fi for most people? While having it all together for most likely cheaper, would it be any better than those I already have? The only thing I'm really looking forward too is online gaming, and possibly Revolution's completely different controller they have yet to unviel.

I want to see if any of these consoles actually utilize the power they have, and make something completely better than any of the previous consoles, so I don't expect myself to be getting any of them until far after release.
2005-05-17, 5:18 PM #19
I'm going to get a PS3, just for the backwards compatibility. I have played so many PSX games on my PS2 that it's ridiculous. Once the PS3 starts selling and the PS2 game prices start to drop as they did with the PSX games years ago, I'll be in business.

That, and all of my favourite console games (almost) have been on Playstation consoles, with the exception of Mario games. And Starfox.
2005-05-17, 5:27 PM #20
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615414p1.html

Quote:
At the Konami press event currently in progress, Mr. Hideo Kojima announced that he has been authorized to form a development house within the greater whole of Konami. The new production Studio, aptly called Kojima Productions, will continue work on the Metal Gear Gear franchise with MGS4 on PlayStation 3, a game Kojima himself will write, direct and produce, as it was "demanded by fans and staff." Though as we reported early, the director of ZOE 2 is taking a heavy role in MGS4 development.
That's it. I'm sold. PS3 it is.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-05-17, 6:09 PM #21
360 for sure, and MAYBE the PS3. MAYBE.

I'm not buying anything right away though, I'm going to wait 6 to 12 months for libraries to build, reviews to come out, accessories to be released, and prices to drop.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-05-17, 6:21 PM #22
The PS3 controllers look FINE.

They're shaped very much like one of the older Microsoft Sidewinders, which was a GREAT controller.
2005-05-17, 6:25 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by JASRCC_Uber0010
I have never been in any way, shape or form a fanboy for Sony, Playstation, or Microsoft. I've always been into PC gaming, and never was really blown away by any particular console. However, when the Playstation 3 is released, I'll be buying 2 for myself, and one for my dog. And I don't even have a dog.

Exactly!
2005-05-17, 7:03 PM #24
i think i'll be getting a 360 first, and possibly a ps3. it all depends on what games come out on what console. there's so much speculation right now that i honestly don't see the point in making up my mind yet.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2005-05-17, 7:30 PM #25
It depends on games really. Sony's support for japanese developers will likely hook me in if I do buy any of them, but Nintendo's solid core games are enough to sucker me in, and Microsoft's announcement about Final Fantasy XI being on it may be enough to turn me to the dark side if enough third party development teams are willing to hop aboard.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-05-17, 7:58 PM #26
I just read that you can supposedly use the wired version of the 360's controller on a PC WITHOUT an adapter since it's a straight up standard USB 2.0 connector.

I like that. Should make playing something like Halo PC a tad more enjoyable. I don't exactly like using a keyboard and mouse for Halo PC. More control, yes, but I'm not getting ANY feedback from the weapons or from being hit. Both of which I find invaluable to have when I play on Xbox.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-05-17, 8:03 PM #27
Meh, I'm a PC gamer, and I can get Sony and Microsoft type games on the PC anyway. Nintendo's games are pretty darn unique, and that is why I would be getting the revolution...

But they aren't out yet. So I can't really say. However, my friends made me regret not buying a PS2, mainly because of the DMC, Onimusha, and MGS series.
2005-05-17, 9:21 PM #28
PlayStation 3.
2005-05-17, 9:23 PM #29
The ps3 controller looks like a boomerang...
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-05-17, 9:24 PM #30
PS3, if any.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-05-17, 9:33 PM #31
Im really excited for the Ps3 after that Killzone 2 video. If they fixed all of the problems from the first game, and it actually looks close to that preview, Im sold.

I also said a Nintendo Revolution due to me liking Nintendo, but all we know is that its black and a square, and such, and not much else. They havent even announced what makes it Revolutionary.
2005-05-17, 9:37 PM #32
PS3. Plain and simple.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-05-17, 9:38 PM #33
either really confy in a strange way, or really not
Attachment: 5156/ps3cont.jpg (14,821 bytes)
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-05-17, 10:33 PM #34
Quote:
After seeing the recent demonstration of the Cell's power, I'm quite impressed with it. Of course, I have not much else to go by on its stats except for conceptual knowledg which, as we all know, doesn't always work, but still.

Also, isn't the new nV card 2x6800U's? Conceptually speaking, that would spank the next ATi GPU I believe, seeing as how it's 24 pipelines.

Could be wrong.
Given the specs provided for the Xbox 360, the ATi GPU uses 48 pipelines. I'd also be skeptical of any comparison made between the two since they seem to be using different technologies for certain things.

I think I agree with Jon as far as the actual power provided by both machines. But, it's kind of difficult to tell when you're judging un-finalized systems and unfinished games, as well as an extremely short list of games. For all we know, they could be equals as far as graphics/processing performance is concerned. It seems like Sony's just doing a better job with its pre-release hype.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nubs
720p is NOTHING SPECIAL with the new generation of games. PS3 will have 1080i support for every single game, just like Xbox360, plus it is the ONLY console to actually support 1080p (Progressive). That techonology hasn't even come out yet.
Actually, they have 1080p displays already. Most of them also cost about the price of a new sedan.

If I could afford to, I'd probably be buying both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 because of the different games that'll come out for both. I also like the PS3 because of its media capabilities (SACDs, for example). As it stands, I doubt I'll be able to scrounge up the money for a single system.

[edit]I hate the look of that PS3 controller.[/edit]
2005-05-18, 2:00 AM #35
SSB Online + Backwards Compatability + Possibility of downloading games from all previous Nintendo consoles = Sold on Revolution.
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2005-05-18, 3:49 AM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Kuat
Meh, I'm a PC gamer, and I can get Sony and Microsoft type games on the PC anyway. Nintendo's games are pretty darn unique, and that is why I would be getting the revolution...

But they aren't out yet. So I can't really say. However, my friends made me regret not buying a PS2, mainly because of the DMC, Onimusha, and MGS series.

Because you can buy games like FFX, Katamari Damacy, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Gran Turismo 4 for the PC.

Oh...wait...
D E A T H
2005-05-18, 4:32 AM #37
I'll probably get a PS3 when they come down in price a bit, especially if they're backwards compatible. I'm a Tekken whore for one, and secondly I tend to prefer the PS games to nintendo and xbox's 'native' games (IE the ones that won't be multi-platform).

I'm just gonna have to come out and say this. I have never played halo. I cannot play FPS games on a console. At all. I NEED a mouse and keyboard for it. So no matter how good halo and the sequels are, I won't play them until they hit my PC.

But yeah, in general, the games on sony's machines are aimed (slightly) at an older market which appeals to me. I also couldn't care less about dvd playback, (for movies) because like almost everyone who can afford a £250 console (or whatever) I can afford a £70 dvd player too.

I want a mac mini.

<.<
2005-05-18, 4:41 AM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by Martyn
I want a mac mini.

<.<

The Revolution is the SIZE of the mac mini...

;)
D E A T H
2005-05-18, 5:46 AM #39
Quote:
Because you can buy games like FFX, Katamari Damacy, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Gran Turismo 4 for the PC.

Oh...wait...

God of War, Devil May Cry...
2005-05-18, 5:47 AM #40
But you can't download mods and custom-made levels on consoles (but probably that might change in the future).
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!