Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Van Helsing jipped 5%!!
Van Helsing jipped 5%!!
2004-05-07, 8:50 AM #1
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/VanHelsing-1132255/

Reviews counted: 80
Fresh: 16 Rotten: 64

16/64
8/32
4/16
2/8
1/4 = 25%

Right now it says 20% but it should be 25% :P

Anyway, I'm still going to see this film, and I'm going to ENJOY IT DAMN IT!

------------------
I’m not going to die, I’m going to see if I was ever alive. - Spike
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
Originally posted by Elana14: i would love a dong like that!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-05-07, 9:03 AM #2
I don't put stock into "professional" reviews, or movie critics. I'm seeing it tonight with a group of friends at 6:30 tonight.

------------------
Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent.

-R.D. Laing
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-05-07, 9:06 AM #3
Hahah, me too! I'm going to hopefully see it in a few hours. It looks r0x0rz!!

------------------
Titan A.E.

Words of wisdom:
"l33t 1s g00d 1n sm4ll d0s3s,
but 1t 1s 4 drug, 4nd drugz 4r3 3v1l!
"
Titan A.E.
2004-05-07, 9:10 AM #4
When I first saw the previews I thought it looked stupid, but now I really really want to see it. I've heard it's really fun, like Indiana Jones with vampires and werewolves.

Let me know how it is!

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-05-07, 9:21 AM #5
It is bad.

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-05-07, 10:02 AM #6
...you get the rating by dividing the number of positive reviews by the total number of reviews, not the number of negative ones. 16/80 = 20%

------------------
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

New! Fireworks T-shirts!
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2004-05-07, 10:05 AM #7
Someone failed math.

------------------
My Life.
2004-05-07, 10:06 AM #8
That seems stupid.

------------------
It's not your right to decide whether they live or die. They deserve a chance! - Vash
2004-05-07, 10:08 AM #9
So do you.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-05-07, 10:24 AM #10
On the Something Awful forums, so far its got an average score of 2.67 (with 5 being the highest). On IMDb, its score so far is 5.4 (with 10 being the highest). Personally, I dont think those scores sound very promising.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage | Cantina Cloud
2004-05-07, 10:26 AM #11
Some people said HellBoy sucked, and I loved it. It's all about your opinion.

------------------
Titan A.E.
Titan A.E.
2004-05-07, 11:05 AM #12
Im going tonight at 7:30 with some friends, it looks decent, and thats all I ask

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-05-07, 11:43 AM #13
The trailers I've seen over and over again have made me not want to see it. It looks stupid. Of course, so do 90% of all movies released these days...

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-05-07, 11:45 AM #14
I wish they'd make a werewolf movie based on the old werewolf tales, not the hollywood versions...

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-05-07, 11:59 AM #15
I like an action movie with some intelligence behind it. This doesn't look like one. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

-------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-05-07, 12:01 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
I don't put stock into "professional" reviews, or movie critics.
</font>

crtics seem to only really love and get excited about unwatchable artsy crap

everything else i think they are taking out their anger for some of the really crappy movies they have seen on the movies that are good... that and if you ask a critic to make a movie... it will most likely suck harder than a hoover

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-05-07, 1:13 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
crtics seem to only really love and get excited about unwatchable artsy crap.</font>

Case in point: Lost in Translation

The only reason i liked that was because it was so different. Past that, it was the most boring movie i've seen in a long time.

[Edit] Does 'Q.E.D.' mean 'Case in Point'? I used to know, but not any more. It's sad, too, since i used to take latin [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]

[This message has been edited by Noble Outlaw (edited May 07, 2004).]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-07, 1:19 PM #18
I did not find Lost in Translation boring at all. Personally, I think that a lot of the fast-paced movies without a lot substance that come out of Hollywood these days are really dumbing audiences down. Sometimes its nice to sit back, relax, and watch a slow paced artsy-fartsy flick.

Another movie that a lot of people seem to think was boring was "The Thin Red Line." I think this had a lot to do with the fact that it came out the same time as "Saving Private Ryan." A lot of people went to see TRL expecting something along the lines of SPR2, which is unfortunate, because TRL is a very well made movie but it is a completely different kind of movie from SPR. I made this mistake myself, the first time I tried to watch TRL, I shut it off half-way through because I couldnt get into it the same way as SPR. A few years later, after realizing that is wasnt supposed to be like SPR, I gave it another shot, and loved it.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage | Cantina Cloud

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited May 07, 2004).]
2004-05-07, 1:34 PM #19
Lost In Translation is an awesome movie. If you found it boring you just werent in the mood for it, there are so many tiny little funny bits in that movie which are so easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-07, 1:34 PM #20
Well.. hmm.. let me revise that. I did like Lost in Translation, to an extent, especially compared to my parents who though it was absolutely horrible. The main reason i liked it, like i said, was that it was so different. In a normal movies now, you'd probably end up with them forsaking thier spouses and eloping. True, you had that incident with the singer, but that seemed a little disjointed. That's one of the reasons i like Cowboy Bebop. Through the entire series, Spike stays true to Julia.

The only thing i didn't like in the movie was that it went by so slow, there was so much time when nothing was happening at all. I can appreciate a dramatic pause, or a scenic shot of the tokyo skyline every once in awhile, but it seemed to me that that was half the movie. 1/2 acting, 1/2 art shots. The acting was excellent, don't get me wrong, there was just too much empy space for me.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-07, 1:39 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cosmic Castaway:

</font>

YO TAMBIEN.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-05-07, 2:04 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Lost In Translation is an awesome movie. If you found it boring you just werent in the mood for it, there are so many tiny little funny bits in that movie which are so easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

</font>

In addition, it makes for a good date-movie.
Lip my stockings!
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-05-07, 2:16 PM #23
Hellboy did suck. Spiderman 2 looks promising though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Weird Shi** Happens.
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-05-07, 2:30 PM #24
Wow, tonight seems to be 'Van helsing' night. Going tonight with some friends, I'll let you guys know how it goes. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

P.S. Initial thoughts are that it looks like it could be one of two things: insanely good or MST3K worthy.

------------------
Tell me not in mournful numbers, Life is but an empty dream, For the soul is dead that slumbers, and things are not as they seem. Life is real, Life is ernest, the grave is not it's goal; Dust thou art, Dust thou returnest, Was not spoken of the soul.
~William Shakespeare
People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only
if there is a light from within.
-Elizabeth Kübler-Ross
2004-05-07, 4:31 PM #25
I enjoyed it. Likeable characters (aside from Dracula's brides - they were obviously hired for their breasts, not their acting), though the secret behind Van Helsing was made painfully obvious (to me) half-way through the movie, and for those that don't understand it, they fail to fully explain it.

All in all, an enjoyable flick. Nothing to rock the halls of fame, but a good action flick nonetheless.

------------------
Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent.

-R.D. Laing
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-05-07, 4:38 PM #26
I thought it was decent, certainly not the best movie, the acting was pretty abhorable, and all the scenes in which there was "story" or "plot" or "dialogue" seemed a bit awkward, but the special effects were cool, and the fight scenes were done pretty well. The only really horrible thing about it is the scene where the wolfman attacks the carriage.. how did the carriage just spontaneously burst into flame like that?

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-05-07, 5:22 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
Personally, I think that a lot of the fast-paced movies without a lot substance that come out of Hollywood these days are really dumbing audiences down.

</font>

This is the PRECISE reason I see so few movies in theaters now. They all look like fast-paced flash-bang movies with no decent plot to speak of.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-05-07, 5:24 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
how did the carriage just spontaneously burst into flame like that?</font>

Broken lamp + lamp oil + flammable material.

Or are you talking about the other one? Well, remember the glucose jelly stuff he demonstrated at the beginning?

------------------

-R.D. Laing
2004-05-07, 5:31 PM #29
Ha ha ha, Sajn can't do math!

And you wanted to be a moderator...

------------------
Flibbledy-dibbledy! Nyaaaaaaaahhh!

-The Last True Evil
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-05-07, 7:50 PM #30
I just saw it.
That movie was GREAT. It was a million times better than Hellboy. Heheh, it didn't have any stupid idiot characters that you look at and say "WHY THE HECK DID THEY HAVE TO PUT HIM IN THIS!?"

I thought they'd really ruin it by having so many monster things in one movie, but it all came together rather well.

I LOVED it...

------------------
www.tednation.tk

[This message has been edited by Axis (edited May 07, 2004).]
2004-05-07, 10:57 PM #31
Didn't like Hellboy, didn't like spider man, loved The Punisher, and really liked Van Helsing. It was an extremely fun movie to watch and I would definitely recommend it if you like fantastic action/adventure.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-05-08, 1:11 AM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
The trailers I've seen over and over again have made me not want to see it. It looks stupid. Of course, so do 90% of all movies released these days...

</font>

I completely agree. We saw a trailer in the cinema and my sister said, "That looks so cool" so I slapped her silly.

------------------
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
2004-05-08, 3:10 AM #33
It was one of the worst films I've ever seen, but one of the best popcorn flicks I've ever seen. Imagine LXG with less plot, and more action. I hated it, but at the same time I enjoyed it. If you are seeing it for a great plot, don't..It's just a good action flick nothing more.

------------------
2004-05-08, 6:05 AM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
crtics seem to only really love and get excited about unwatchable artsy crap
</font>

Your critics must suck then. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged
2004-05-08, 6:27 AM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Imagine LXG with less plot</font>

I don't think that's humanly possible.

------------------
You're entering a world of pain.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-05-08, 6:45 AM #36
It looks decent to me. Like Underworld, that movie looked bad but turned out better than I thought. Thats what Im expecting

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-05-08, 6:49 AM #37
It's not opinions, it's about taste, which people seem to lack.

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-05-08, 6:59 AM #38
It was meh. Prolly a 5 or 6 out of 10. Acting was decent, Dracula was good, Helsing was good. VERY predictable. When Q... I mean, the friar - pulls out that one item at the beginning of the movie, explains what it does, then says he's not sure what its for, I knew IMMEDIATELY how it was going to be used. Then that moving portrait - it was too predictable.
The end of the movie sucked. Hard. It built to the climax and then it was like, oh, um... credits. I just laughed. And then came the weeping.

It felt more like a video game than anything. It was like... "plot".... BOSS FIGHT!..."plot"... BOSS FIGHT! Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Also, since when is Dracula a supervampire? They didn't seem to have a hard time killing him in the book...

It was entertaining, don't get me wrong. Just not very good.

In my opinion, at least.

[This message has been edited by Charoziak (edited May 08, 2004).]
Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
2004-05-08, 7:41 AM #39
I liked Hugh Jackman. The rest of the movie was rather forgettable and entirely brainless.

The entire movie seemed like it was delivered from the end of a dangling rope. I swear, Van Helsing had more swinging cordage than Spiderman on a good day.

Did anyone else crack up when Dracula started counting how many years it was since he saw Van Helsing? [Dracula accent] 100 years! 200 years! 300 years! [/Dracula accent] ...Who does that remind you of? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-08, 8:24 AM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cosmic Castaway:

</font>

But...but....HellBoy Did suck....

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Run Away!!

[This message has been edited by BurrBoy (edited May 08, 2004).]
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.

↑ Up to the top!