Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sandra Day O'connor resigns!
Sandra Day O'connor resigns!
2005-07-01, 11:13 AM #1
Holy Crap! :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/

Didn't see that coming!
2005-07-01, 11:16 AM #2
Wow.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-07-01, 11:35 AM #3
Sweet, maybe if the right judge gets appointed some progress can be made towards getting rid of abortion.
2005-07-01, 11:39 AM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by IRG SithLord
Sweet, maybe if the right judge gets appointed some progress can be made towards getting rid of abortion.

Oh god I hope not. But she was one of my lesser favorite judges...meh.
D E A T H
2005-07-01, 11:43 AM #5
Quote:
HOLY FLAMEBAIT, BATMAN!! :p
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-07-01, 11:43 AM #6
Quote:

Stop now before people turn this neutral thread into a flame war.

It's suprising to see which one would get off of the chair first. I guess it was her. Her reason for leaving--more time to spend w/ hubby--is a good idea.
2005-07-01, 11:45 AM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
HOLY FLAMEBAIT, BATMAN!! :p

I stated my opinion, what's the problem?

JDK: Yah, I would have bet money that Rehnquist would retire first.
2005-07-01, 11:46 AM #8
Opinion or not, it sucks.

/me taps the flamethrower
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-07-01, 11:48 AM #9
This is not a debate. If one of you mentions abortion again or how each others opinions suck, I'm closing this thread.
2005-07-01, 11:48 AM #10
She looks relieved.
2005-07-01, 11:57 AM #11
Quote:
I stated my opinion, what's the problem?
Simply that it had nothing to do with the topic, that's what. ;)
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-07-01, 12:05 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
Simply that it had nothing to do with the topic, that's what. ;)

Actually, it did. There is now a court vacancy and she was in favor of original rulings on the matter.
2005-07-01, 12:11 PM #13
*cries* The only moderate is gone! Nooooooo!
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-07-01, 12:16 PM #14
Now Bush can complete his plan and put back social progress another 20 years. :rolleyes:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-07-01, 12:20 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Freelancer
Now Bush can complete his plan and put back social progress another 20 years. :rolleyes:

Uh oh, the s-word. Man, you're really playing with your civil rights and freedom, Freelancer.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-07-01, 12:26 PM #16
Okay, let's put it this way, Bush is going to use this opportunity to place one of his pawns in there, as if the government wasn't filled to the brim enough with Bush-controlled robots all ready. This will probably result in the loss of more liberties which has been the basic trend since Bush took office.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-07-01, 12:29 PM #17
I can honestly say I wouldn't mind seeing a liberal on the Supreme Court.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-07-01, 12:33 PM #18
Sara who?
You will die alone.
Snail Racing: 500 Posts Per Line
@%
guys I think my snail is stuck
2005-07-01, 12:37 PM #19
Quote:
Okay, let's put it this way, Bush is going to use this opportunity to place one of his pawns in there, as if the government wasn't filled to the brim enough with Bush-controlled robots all ready. This will probably result in the loss of more liberties which has been the basic trend since Bush took office.

Excellent. Stage three of our plan is coming into effect. This nation shall be ours.

*evil chortle*
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-07-01, 12:45 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by JediGandalf
Excellent. Stage three of our plan is coming into effect. This nation shall be ours.

Well, not *yours*
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-07-01, 12:47 PM #21
My God, Bush is going to somehow get a conservative on the bench, after which abortion and puppies will be deemed illegal, every single citizen will have a thought control device planted in their brain, the government will seize all public property and turn them into massive arms factories, and last but not least, the world as we end will cease to exist. Bush is that evil.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-07-01, 12:50 PM #22
Quote:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

Looks like Nubs beat me to the punch.
D E A T H
2005-07-01, 12:57 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine
This is not a debate. If one of you mentions abortion again or how each others opinions suck, I'm closing this thread.

I would think that it would be valid to discuss whether or not the issue might be revisted or what the outcome could be but I would agree that another annoying and insulting debate on the topic should be avoided.

Quote:

Well, I would disagree that the government is full to the brim with "Bush-controlled robots". You also realize that as far as the Supreme Court is concerned it's the liberal and "moderate" judges who are more likely to vote in a manner that results in the loss of liberties. The horrible thing is the government doesn't even have a right to infringe upon them. Our rights aren't given to us by the government.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-07-01, 12:58 PM #24
Quote:

Works that way on both sides.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-01, 1:19 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie06
I would think that it would be valid to discuss whether or not the issue might be revisted or what the outcome could be but I would agree that another annoying and insulting debate on the topic should be avoided.

There was just so much flamebait out in the open, I was worried it was going to explode.
2005-07-01, 1:22 PM #26
Appointing Supreme court justices is tricky. Both of the Justices Regan appointed were Liberal. Bush isn't exactly the most conservative guy in the world. I'm not holding my breath.
2005-07-01, 2:05 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine
There was just so much flamebait out in the open, I was worried it was going to explode.

I understand your intent. I just think totally banning the sub-topic in this thread is not the way to address it. Totally banning posters, not that I'm saying there should be any, would be more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet
Appointing Supreme court justices is tricky. Both of the Justices Regan appointed were Liberal. Bush isn't exactly the most conservative guy in the world. I'm not holding my breath.

Bush isn't the most conservative guy around but I think he understands the importance of keeping conservatives on the bench.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-07-01, 2:17 PM #28
Get ready for more talk of "nuclear options." You KNOW the Senate Democrats are going to filibuster anyone remotely conservative. You saw the bruhaha over Janice Rogers-Brown and...uhh...crap...what's her name? The other one. The Democrats are going to be brutal and fierce with the upcoming appointment.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-07-01, 3:33 PM #29
Only if Bush is an idiot and nominates some wingnut idealogue. Remember, the Democrats only had a real problem with 10 out of the several hundred appointments Bush has made. Any other administration would have been thrilled with that percentage. Only after foolishly pushing the issue did they get slapped down.

A moderately conservative appointment without controversy is about as much as this administration can hope for, now. Either that, or they go kamikaze and screw the GOP for years.
2005-07-01, 3:37 PM #30
Quote:

But... I... Kind of... Need abortion.. Right now. :o
Ferr1s b3ull3r, j00 r my h3r0!
2005-07-01, 4:28 PM #31
But you've already been born.

2005-07-01, 4:32 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by Ictus
Only if Bush is an idiot and nominates some wingnut idealogue. Remember, the Democrats only had a real problem with 10 out of the several hundred appointments Bush has made. Any other administration would have been thrilled with that percentage. Only after foolishly pushing the issue did they get slapped down.

Hundreds of appointments? Judicial appointments? And they weren't even extreme. The republicans shouldn't allow the minority party to filibuster nominees period. And I'm not sure who you are referring to being slapped down.

And how would pushing a conservative nominee through screw the GOP?

2005-07-01, 5:19 PM #33
I don't know why I should be surprised by this.
2005-07-01, 5:44 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie06
But you've already been born.

[http://www.qwantz.com/forum/images/smiles/burnsauce.gif]
2005-07-01, 10:56 PM #35
"We need commonsense judges who understand that our rights were derived from God," Bush told reporters at the Group of Eight summit meeting in Canada. "Those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench."

This may come as a shock to some, but I'm not too confident in the judges a fundamentalist president who doesn't believe in church/state separation might select.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-07-01, 11:04 PM #36
I think a neutral court is one of the most necessary things. When the Presidency, Congress, maybe the whole country, is turning into this liberal vs. conservative BS, you better have people believing there's at least one branch that isn't biased against them from the start.

Especially when that branch gets to define Justice in the country.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-07-01, 11:08 PM #37
It's Bush's 'connection to God' that scares the hell out of me. It's influenced far too many of his decisions, and not always in the best way.
D E A T H
2005-07-01, 11:13 PM #38
I think the Bush administration knows the audience a bit too well not to "have" such a connection.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-07-02, 1:02 AM #39
but who will stop the Terminators from being created and Skynet ruling the world?!
2005-07-02, 8:15 AM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenshu
"We need commonsense judges who understand that our rights were derived from God," Bush told reporters at the Group of Eight summit meeting in Canada. "Those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench."

This may come as a shock to some, but I'm not too confident in the judges a fundamentalist president who doesn't believe in church/state separation might select.

He's not pro-intergration of church and state. He's anti-alienation of the church or, rather, religion by the state. And even if you disagree that our rights come from God the important thing to agree with is that they do not come from the government.

↑ Up to the top!