Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sandra Day O'connor resigns!
Sandra Day O'connor resigns!
2005-07-02, 8:21 AM #41
Quote:
Originally posted by Duo Maxwell
but who will stop the Terminators from being created and Skynet ruling the world?!

Hopefully no one.

[/lolmode]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-07-02, 8:30 AM #42
Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie06
He's not pro-intergration of church and state. He's anti-alienation of the church or, rather, religion by the state.

I frankly don't think in the US there's any danger of that happening.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-07-02, 11:26 AM #43
There shouldn't be. That's why it was specifically addressed in the constitution. That doesn't seem to stop people or courts from trying though.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-07-02, 11:34 AM #44
Oh yes, to stop that constant persecution that Christians face by government!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-07-02, 5:19 PM #45
Yes, but not just Christians.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-07-02, 5:44 PM #46
Wouldn't it be great if the US had some sort of... power to combat this huge force of anti-Christian and anti-religious activity.. Wouldn't it be great if the US had like... an openly Christian president? Or.. like... 43 of them? Consecutively?

Ohh.. to dream.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-07-02, 6:01 PM #47
Wookie: 208 out of 218.

How would pushing a conservative nominee through screw the GOP?

1. The public opposes the nuclear option. The Republicans' already bruised reputation took beating the last time it was attempted, which is why they backed down. They're unlikely to try it again. If they do, the party will probably suffer in the upcoming election.

2. The public opposes overturning Roe v. Wade, and less than 15% of Americans believe abortion should always be illegal. Forcing the appointment of a judge who would appease the most conservative of Christians would alienate most Americans.

3. O'Conner has been beatified in the media recently as a moderate swing justice, and the Supreme Court venerated. To try to replace her with a hardliner would grind against the spin.

4. Conservative Christians only turn out to vote when they're hot and bothered.
2005-07-02, 6:09 PM #48
Quote:
Originally posted by Ictus

Brilliant generalization, Ictus. :rolleyes:
2005-07-02, 6:49 PM #49
:rolleyes:
2005-07-02, 8:11 PM #50
Quote:
Wookie: 208 out of 218.

Thanks. I was too lazy to look it up. I've heard the figure before and, to be honest, it seems a little deceptive to lump all of the lessor and, comparatively, minor courts in with those of the higher courts but whatever gives the impression people want to give, I guess. Also, I think there should be a distinction between an up or down vote and a minority party preventing it

Quote:
How would pushing a conservative nominee through screw the GOP?

1. The public opposes the nuclear option. The Republicans' already bruised reputation took beating the last time it was attempted, which is why they backed down. They're unlikely to try it again. If they do, the party will probably suffer in the upcoming election.

I have no idea why the public would be against the nuclear option. I suppose it's because most probably don't understand the filibuster, how it's evolved or, rather, devolved. Frist only backed down when an agreement was made but the option was never withdrawn. If the Dems start to pull the same stuff again hopefully it will be implemented.

Quote:
2. The public opposes overturning Roe v. Wade, and less than 15% of Americans believe abortion should always be illegal. Forcing the appointment of a judge who would appease the most conservative of Christians would alienate most Americans.

But nobody is talking about making abortion "always illegal". Even if the case is ever revisted it would not result in a total nation-wide ban of abortion. Some states might ban certain types of abortion.

Quote:
3. O'Conner has been beatified in the media recently as a moderate swing justice, and the Supreme Court venerated. To try to replace her with a hardliner would grind against the spin.

"Hardliner"? "Spin"? All I know is that the progressive judges are the ones in the Supreme Court that are voting against individual interests.

Quote:

?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
Wouldn't it be great if the US had some sort of... power to combat this huge force of anti-Christian and anti-religious activity.. Wouldn't it be great if the US had like... an openly Christian president? Or.. like... 43 of them? Consecutively?

Ohh.. to dream.

Which has nothing to do with the government alienating religion.

2007-11-16, 11:25 PM #51
Originally posted by Wookie06:
But you've already been born.

/revival
Lmao. Not me, my ex.
/end revival
Ferr1s b3ull3r, j00 r my h3r0!
2007-11-16, 11:35 PM #52
Originally posted by Sith_Xanatos:
/revival
Lmao. Not me, my ex.
/end revival

I should ban you...
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!