Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Longhorn to be officially named Windows Vista?
Longhorn to be officially named Windows Vista?
2005-07-21, 11:47 PM #1
http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-5799093.html?part=rss&tag=5799093&subj=news

Same s***ty deal, but with a catchy new name.

Of course, this is a rumour at this point, but it may be confirmed soon.
2005-07-21, 11:50 PM #2
Hmm... I don't like it.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-07-22, 12:57 AM #3
Somehow I have Longhorn stuck in my head. And there were enough articles in magazines about Windows Longhorn that it should be stuck in the head of many other people, too. IMHO it would be a bad marketing move to get away from this name although it has always been only a code-name.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-07-22, 3:44 AM #4
Both names suck
nope.
2005-07-22, 4:49 AM #5
What's wrong with just calling it windows 2007 or whatever?
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-07-22, 4:52 AM #6
Atleast the name doesn't have an X
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-07-22, 5:13 AM #7
i'm buying it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-07-22, 5:49 AM #8
I'm buying it without question, it will be a great replacement for XP.
2005-07-22, 8:31 AM #9
[QUOTE=Yummy Cookie]I'm buying it without question, it will be a great replacement for XP.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me that's sarcasm.
2005-07-22, 8:39 AM #10
No I always enjoy getting a new Windows version, try new games, new features, I love to explore, I think I spent weeks exploring what XP could do. Of course it get's dual booted with Fedora which is my primary OS. Linux forever. :)
2005-07-22, 8:43 AM #11
The new windows looks Eww.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-07-22, 8:47 AM #12
Originally posted by Oxyonagon:
The new windows looks Eww.

This point is stupid, seeing as how you can easily change the theme.
2005-07-22, 10:31 AM #13
OK, slashdot confirmed that it will be called Windows Vista, so it is official now.
2005-07-22, 10:35 AM #14
And here I thought Microsoft was finally trying to appeal to the redneck community.

Windows Vista is a stupid name, BTW.
2005-07-22, 10:48 AM #15
Microsoft has it on their index page of their web site too, so (for those who may have missed the post about slashdot having the news, or for those who may not have read it, and just read that they have the article, and might not believe it)
2005-07-22, 11:01 AM #16
Originally posted by Rob:
And here I thought Microsoft was finally trying to appeal to the redneck community.

Windows Vista is a stupid name, BTW.

I don't understand the connection between Vista and redneck. I would have just called it Windows 2007 or NT 7.0 personally but then again I would have just kept with the NT X.0 naming after NT 4.0 anyways.

NT 4.0
NT 5.0 (Windows 2000)
NT 6.0 (XP)
NT 7.0 (Vista)
2005-07-22, 11:04 AM #17
I think my friend put it best "Say Asta La Vista to your computer". ;)
k
N
2005-07-22, 11:25 AM #18
Originally posted by Boco:
Both names suck

2005-07-22, 11:26 AM #19
[QUOTE=Yummy Cookie]I don't understand the connection between Vista and redneck. I would have just called it Windows 2007 or NT 7.0 personally but then again I would have just kept with the NT X.0 naming after NT 4.0 anyways.

NT 4.0
NT 5.0 (Windows 2000)
NT 6.0 (XP)
NT 7.0 (Vista)[/QUOTE]

I was refering to Longhorn.
2005-07-22, 11:27 AM #20
[QUOTE=Yummy Cookie]I don't understand the connection between Vista and redneck. I would have just called it Windows 2007 or NT 7.0 personally but then again I would have just kept with the NT X.0 naming after NT 4.0 anyways.

NT 4.0
NT 5.0 (Windows 2000)
NT 6.0 (XP)
NT 7.0 (Vista)[/QUOTE]

Longhorn seems redneckish to me
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-07-22, 11:29 AM #21
Yes Longhorn does sound redneck I thought he was refering to Vista, sorry.
2005-07-22, 11:46 AM #22
[QUOTE=Yummy Cookie]I don't understand the connection between Vista and redneck. I would have just called it Windows 2006 or NT 6.0 personally but then again I would have just kept with the NT X.0 naming after NT 4.0 anyways.

NT 4.0
NT 5.0 (Windows 2000)
NT 5.1 (XP)
NT 6.0 (Vista)[/QUOTE]

Fixed :) XP is 5.1 and Vista will come out in 2006.

At least... Vista BETTER not be 5.2. It's been in dev for far too long.

2005-07-22, 11:48 AM #23
Whilst it certaintly looks snazzy, I find the whole idea of it quite sinister; it seems to be designed to restrict control of the computer, taking power away from the end user, even in home environments: for example, the idea of media files that will only open on one computer alarms me. I feel like civil rights will ultimately be violated if it continues down this route.

On the other hand, if you have nothing to hide, you should have nothing to lose by using Vista/Longhorn, right?
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2005-07-22, 11:48 AM #24
Thanks. :)

It would be 2007, considering 98 came out in 97 and 2000 came out in 99.

Oh and NHL 99 came out in 98. :D

GhostofYoda if you like an operating system with user control try a version of Linux, it'll give you complete control of everything, no if and or buts about it. But remember to keep a version of Windows on dual boot with it cause you'll need to go back for some compatablitily issues, unless you wanna try to force some programs to work in Linux but it never turns out as well as simply switching the operating system over.
2005-07-22, 12:07 PM #25
or you could keep using XP indefinitely....
2005-07-22, 12:09 PM #26
My opinion is operating system is your personal choice since you're the user. XP works great Vista will do it's job, dunno if it's great or not I haven't used it yet, and Fedora for me works great. All preference really...
2005-07-22, 12:09 PM #27
Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:
Whilst it certaintly looks snazzy, I find the whole idea of it quite sinister; it seems to be designed to restrict control of the computer, taking power away from the end user, even in home environments: for example, the idea of media files that will only open on one computer alarms me. I feel like civil rights will ultimately be violated if it continues down this route.

On the other hand, if you have nothing to hide, you should have nothing to lose by using Vista/Longhorn, right?

Wrong. The idea of network drives for music bought on itunes or movies bought on the internet (what with Netflix's new downloadable movie program in the works and iTunes gearing up to allow you to buy videos through them) will cease to exist, and that sucks because it's a very good way to share media. However, if you don't do it legally anyways, then you've got nothing to lose.
D E A T H
2005-07-22, 1:39 PM #28
Originally posted by The_Mega_ZZTer:
Fixed :) XP is 5.1 and Vista will come out in 2006.

At least... Vista BETTER not be 5.2. It's been in dev for far too long.

Windows 2003 Server is 5.2, and all the alphas I played around with of longhorn all had it as 6.0.(build number)
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-07-22, 1:41 PM #29
If Longhorn (sorry, "Vista") sucks, I'm switching to Linux. Seriously. Despite my growing hatred of anything *nix.
Stuff
2005-07-22, 1:47 PM #30
I'd use linux full time if it was any good for gaming :(
k
N
2005-07-22, 2:12 PM #31
I'm going to hold out for Windows XTREME
2005-07-22, 2:39 PM #32
LOL at it being "The Clearer Windows" but having DRM technology that blurs video intentionally.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-07-22, 3:26 PM #33
...probably because sharp images go against MS's new warm and fuzzy user friendly feel.

To be honest, as long as it doesn't prevent me from ripping lossless CDs onto my harddisk for person listening, or talking online, or compiling my games (and having them run on other computers) or anything like that, I don't care what Vista does. I don't see myself running away to *nix any time soon, not because it "doesn't play games", but because I'm kinda a windows programmer, and I don't really fancy learning everything from scratch to make something work on an operating system only used by a minority.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2005-07-22, 4:03 PM #34
Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:
...probably because sharp images go against MS's new warm and fuzzy user friendly feel.

To be honest, as long as it doesn't prevent me from ripping lossless CDs onto my harddisk for person listening, or talking online, or compiling my games (and having them run on other computers) or anything like that, I don't care what Vista does. I don't see myself running away to *nix any time soon, not because it "doesn't play games", but because I'm kinda a windows programmer, and I don't really fancy learning everything from scratch to make something work on an operating system only used by a minority.

You make it sound as if programming for *nix and on *nix is so different. It's still the same language (as long as it's not VB).
D E A T H
2005-07-22, 4:20 PM #35
I suspect all the new security and use-restriction features are optional and controllable from an admin login. In which case, they are an excellent idea. Consider public computers (ie libraries) where it could be absolutely essential to control what kind of licensed material can be accessed on them.

So, as long as they can be turned on and off, there is no reason why anybody should object to them.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-07-22, 5:00 PM #36
Originally posted by Detty:
I suspect all the new security and use-restriction features are optional and controllable from an admin login. In which case, they are an excellent idea. Consider public computers (ie libraries) where it could be absolutely essential to control what kind of licensed material can be accessed on them.

So, as long as they can be turned on and off, there is no reason why anybody should object to them.

I think they're talking about the restrictions on watching movies without a DRM compliant monitor, the things you can do without a DRM compliant processor, video processor, RAM, Hard Drive...you get the picture.
D E A T H
2005-07-22, 6:49 PM #37
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:

"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2005-07-22, 6:56 PM #38
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:

I would use linux too, but I never figured out how to set up network printing and networking in general. :(
2005-07-22, 11:35 PM #39
Windows Vista
WinVI for short
NT 6.0, VI is 6 in roman numerals, and it's coming out 2006.

Microsoft is the devil, it's official.
2005-07-23, 12:31 AM #40
Subliminal messages, they're trying to do something with the number 6 to us.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman

↑ Up to the top!