Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Paranormal Activity
Paranormal Activity
2005-08-06, 2:28 PM #161
[QUOTE=IRG SithLord]I understand them very well. I've indicated where your argument goes wrong but you seem to have some wild fantasy that it doesn't apply.

Here it is plain and simple: Your argument is insufficient. Adapt it to actually be something conclusive.

Also, even if it wasn't a fallacious argument as you put it, it is no argument to reject the existence of a God because now atheists have prove that there is no other solution to the conflict.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I appear to be an idiot. Can you reitorate, in a single, structered sentence, what precisely it is the argument 'lacks'?
I don't see that adding more premeses can resolve the conflict.

Do as I have, and structure your reply in a series of short, logical steps, detailing exactly how they lead on from one another.

The only two premeses that are usually rejected are either "Evil exists" or "God exists", and they'd both work just as well in resolving the conflict. (Rejecting "God is all-powerful" or "God is all-good" results in a radically different God). However, when rejecting "Evil exists" you need to redefine what exactly 'evil' is, and this is usually done in very wooly, roundabout and generally unelegant ways. My favourite one is "Evil is atheism". But anyway, rejecting "God exists" is a whole lot simpler and resolves the conflict just as well.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-08-06, 3:15 PM #162
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I'm sorry, but I appear to be an idiot. Can you reitorate, in a single, structered sentence, what precisely it is the argument 'lacks'?
I don't see that adding more premeses can resolve the conflict.

It's not adding more premises but correcting the ones improperly structured.

In elaborating on statement 4, you made a mistake in trying to keep it so simple. The correct premise for Statement B is One God allows evil to exist in its Universe for X purpose. Because of this correction, the first God and second God can be equally good. This means there may or may not be any conflict between #1 and #7 depending on said purpose.

Quote:
The only two premeses that are usually rejected are either "Evil exists" or "God exists", and they'd both work just as well in resolving the conflict. (Rejecting "God is all-powerful" or "God is all-good" results in a radically different God). However, when rejecting "Evil exists" you need to redefine what exactly 'evil' is, and this is usually done in very wooly, roundabout and generally unelegant ways. My favourite one is "Evil is atheism". But anyway, rejecting "God exists" is a whole lot simpler and resolves the conflict just as well.

But those are not the only 2 that can be rejected.
2005-08-06, 5:34 PM #163
If you read the Bible, you will find that God is not all-powerful, all-seeing, or all-good.
I'm just a little boy.
2005-08-06, 7:15 PM #164
Quote:
In elaborating on statement 4, you made a mistake in trying to keep it so simple. The correct premise for Statement B is One God allows evil to exist in its Universe for X purpose. Because of this correction, the first God and second God can be equally good. This means there may or may not be any conflict between #1 and #7 depending on said purpose.

If he has purpose, God should have the power to see that purpose through. And if evil is part of that purpose, then he is not all-good.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2005-08-07, 4:46 AM #165
Flirb, I'm not actually trying to debate the existence of God or the existence of a God that is all-powerful, all-good, and all-knowing. I'm just not satisfied with the way argument #2 is set up. :P

Mort, can you detail that last response a bit?
2005-08-07, 2:53 PM #166
'Purpose' is only relevant if things that aren't 'God's purpose' can occur, which would make God not all-powerful, because things would be occuring against his purpose and he couldn't do anything about it. Or these things would be occuring and he deliberately wasn't doing anything, which would mean he is not all-good (because God is all-good, his purpose is all-good, anything that occurs that is not his purpose is not all-good).
2005-08-07, 3:27 PM #167
If he has purpose, God should have the power to see that purpose through. And if evil is part of that purpose, then he is not all-good.

Not necessarily.

God gave us free will, so that we could choose wether or not to love him (because, after all, if you're forced to love, or are unable to not love, then the love you give isn't sincere. Similar how if you force someone to apologize, the apology is worthless because the other party is only saying it because they have to, not because they're actually sorry.)

Man sinned (sin being a thought or act that goes against God's will), and through that brought evil into the world. God did not destroy sin, because it was a result of man's choices and actions, which leads back to the free will thing.

God didn't interfere and give us another sinless utopia, for the same reason a parent doesn't interfere when, say, a child is learning to walk. There's going to be some bumps and bruises along the way, but that doesn't make the parent "evil" for allowing it to happen. On the contrary, if the parent were to walk for the child (wether or not that would be possible is irrelevant, I mean it in a more metaphorical sense), the child would never learn how to walk by itself. Similarly, if God cleaned up after all of our mistakes, it would interfere with the whole free will, sincere love thing. Sometimes you have to experience the bad times to appreciate the good.

It was God's will to give us choice, but those choices have consequences. Sin was one of them. But for the gift of choice to be worth anything, we must also live with the consequences of those choices, which is why God did not interefere, and because of that, why evil exists in our world.
Moo.
2005-08-07, 3:54 PM #168
Mort, come on. Your argument is ridiculous. Why is it necessary for god to fit your arbitrary definition of 'all-good'?

God isn't exactly jueobdkyu either, and by jueobdkyu, I mean [insert arbitrary condition here]. Just because you've proven god to fit some arbitrary definition doesn't mean he doesn't exist.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-07, 6:12 PM #169
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Mort, come on. Your argument is ridiculous. Why is it necessary for god to fit your arbitrary definition of 'all-good'?

God isn't exactly jueobdkyu either, and by jueobdkyu, I mean [insert arbitrary condition here]. Just because you've proven god to fit some arbitrary definition doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

Yeah, and how do you define "all-good" anyways? That all depends on your subjective view of what evil and good is. A god could be all good and allow so called "evil" things to happen if they are for the greater good or whatever.
2005-08-07, 6:22 PM #170
Do i believe? of course. I use Psi energy to move stuff without touching them. I'm gonna have to look into the BMP fi- energy.
This is not the sig you are looking for. Move along.
2005-08-08, 12:25 AM #171
Absoulte free will does NOT exist.
Absolute choice does NOT exist.
The distinction 'evil' versus 'good' is a gradual and largely subjective one.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-08-08, 12:39 AM #172
Originally posted by Tenshu:
Absoulte free will does NOT exist.
Absolute choice does NOT exist.
The distinction 'evil' versus 'good' is a gradual and largely subjective one.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes :p

I seriously wonder: Could we just exchange paranormal experiences instead of degrading this thread to a pointless religious debate. I mean it should be possible without that. This has been off-topic for way too long.

Forget about god for once and let's just talk about things we have experienced.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2005-08-08, 8:42 AM #173
We've hit upon another big problem here.

If God allows evil to exist, he is not all-good.

If God does not allow evil to exist, he is not allowing free will.

'Free will' also conflicts with omniscience, in that if God knows everything we're ever going to do, we do not have the free will to choose it and free will is merely an illusion by ignorance.

Quote:

Moral relativism solves the conflict between Statements 1 and 7 by stating that Evil does not exist (and so "all-good" is just as meaningless as we've proven "all-powerful" to be).

This indeed does solve the conflict, but now that God cannot be all-powerful or all-good, what is left?

This is the set of thoughts that allows me to be a strong atheist, in that there is very little left that God can logically be.
2005-08-08, 9:24 AM #174
God only needs to be the [hypothetical] conscious mind from which existence as we know it originates.
I'm just a little boy.
2005-08-08, 9:29 AM #175
This is the set of thoughts that allows me to be a strong atheist, in that there is very little left that God can logically be.

Well, he could logically be a hypocrite.

Also: what about being pretty damn powerful and pretty damn good? Is that not possible for some reason?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-08, 9:34 AM #176
I've said this before, and I'll say it again--trying to explain God through logic is pointless. Faith is the only way you'll ever believe in him, and it's the only way he ever intended you to believe in him. And before you start going off on me, I'm not christian, or jewish, or muslim, so I do not believe in their God, so to speak.
D E A T H
2005-08-08, 9:35 AM #177
Also, if you believe god is all-powerful, an interesting nuance to that fact is that it is within god's power to cease being god. How do you know he hasn't already done it?
2005-08-08, 9:43 AM #178

If God allows evil to exist, he is not all-good.

We've addressed this already, Mort. That statement is not always true.

Quote:
And if evil is part of that purpose, then he is not all-good.

Again, not true. Depends on the purpose.
2005-08-08, 10:30 AM #179
Quote:
We've addressed this already, Mort. That statement is not always true.

No, we haven't. You've asked me to reitorate it, and I have, but you haven't provided any fallacy.

Quote:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again--trying to explain God through logic is pointless. Faith is the only way you'll ever believe in him, and it's the only way he ever intended you to believe in him. And before you start going off on me, I'm not christian, or jewish, or muslim, so I do not believe in their God, so to speak.

Bingo!

This is really the key point that strong atheists are trying to make.

There is no rational reason to believe in God.

Belief in God entirely through faith? There is no problem with that.

But as soon as you need logical or physical proof (a priori or a posteriori), that's when we have a problem.

I think that very few people are actually capable of believing anything without any physical or logical justification, and that is why religion has 'miracles' and 'priests'.
2005-08-08, 10:35 AM #180
I must say I concur.
D E A T H
2005-08-08, 11:01 AM #181
Mort, stop pretending you've made a flawless argument. I've pointed out the problem -- a false dilemma. You've yet to prove that God can't be all-good if God has a purpose that requires the existence of Evil.

You need to prove that if you want #2 to be a valid argument.
2005-08-08, 11:54 AM #182
Firstly, it's not a false dilemma.

Secondly, you've yet to prove that God can have a Purpose that requires evil and still be all-good. A God that has a Purpose that does not require evil will be more good than a God that does not require evil, because the Universe of the first God will be less evil than the second. A God that is all-good must be the God that is the most possible good.
2005-08-08, 12:02 PM #183
Originally posted by tinny:
I won't use starwars, i'll use Tolkien's world instead. In his universe, Tolkien can manipulate anything but wants good to win in the end. Why can't he state the silmarillion in one sentence saying "Morgoth goes poof and Middle earth is happy."? Simply because Tolkien uses evil to develop characters through friction doesn't detract from his ability to control anything in his universe or make Tolkien any less of a good man. This is why an All powerful and all good God can exist when there is temporary evil because He can use evil and turn it into a greater good or use evil to strengthen the good.

This is why.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-08-08, 12:06 PM #184
Firstly, it's not a false dilemma.

You've stated something like: If X is true then Y is false, or if X false then Y is true when in fact, they can both be true or false. Looks an awful lot like a false dilemma to me.

Quote:
Secondly, you've yet to prove that God can have a Purpose that requires evil and still be all-good. A God that has a Purpose that does not require evil will be more good than a God that does not require evil, because the Universe of the first God will be less evil than the second. A God that is all-good must be the God that is the most possible good.

Burden of Proof is on you. You presented logic you claimed to be flawless.

"A God that is all-good must be the God that is the most possible good."

This has no connection with a God's purpose in eliminating evil in God's universe.
2005-08-08, 12:38 PM #185
Burden of proof refers to a posteriori reasoning, not a priori reasoning.

You have to back up a claimed fallacy just as much, if not more, than you do a conjecture.
2005-08-08, 12:48 PM #186
Originally posted by tinny:
This is why.

The fairly obvious difference is that Tolkien is not creating evil.

From the view of the Elves, Dwarves and Men, they too might be irritated at Ilúvatar and the Valar and Maiar for not doing anything about Morgoth (the difference being that the Vala and Maia actually do try to combat evil, but neither are all-powerful. Ilúvatar relinquished power to shape Arda to the Vala, so he cannot combat evil either). The Vala discover that in trying to fight Morgoth, they actually mess things up even more, with Men being afraid of them.

I'm not quite sure what Orcs believe in.
2005-08-08, 1:33 PM #187
Once again Mort-Hog, give it up. You may have contradicted some words in the bible on a technical level, but you have proved nothing about the larger scheme of things.
2005-08-08, 1:33 PM #188
Ofcourse, but maybe Illuvatar is not spoon feeding the men and elves and wants to shape them in the way that he wants through a temporary evil rather than just going poof so that evil can be immediately gone.
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-08-08, 2:31 PM #189
No, Ilúvatar doesn't have any power over Arda at all. He created the Ainu, who sang and created Arda, and the Vala were sent to shape Arda. It is the Vala who have the power to shape Arda, but the Vala are not all-good (as shown by Morgoth). Ilúvatar is all-good, but he does not have the power. Hence, evil exists.

Quote:
You may have contradicted some words in the bible on a technical level, but you have proved nothing about the larger scheme of things.

Not once have I quoted the Bible.

It wouldn't take a 5 page thread just to find contradictions within the bible.

The 'larger scheme of things'? What things are larger than the supposed qualities of God? Existence being one of those very qualities.
2005-08-08, 3:42 PM #190
No, Illuvatar did intercede in Middle-Earth in atleast one occasion I can remember. He destroyed Numenor and took Valinor out of Middle-Earth. As Raoul was saying, you've yet to prove why an all powerful and all good God cannot have evil as a temporary means to shape His world.
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-08-08, 11:36 PM #191
It doesn't matter whether evil is 'temporary' or not, evil is evil. If God 'uses' evil, then he is not all-good.

A God that is all-good must use all his powers to oppose evil, or else he is not all-good. If evil still exists, it can only mean that God does not have the power.
2005-08-09, 1:08 AM #192
It doesn't matter whether evil is 'temporary' or not, evil is evil. If God 'uses' evil, then he is not all-good.

And if he HAS to use evil, he's not all-powerful.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-08-09, 1:43 AM #193
heh, the arguement of whether or not God exists falls into the thread titled "Paranormal Activity"
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-09, 5:02 AM #194

Only if he 'uses' evil to do evil.
2005-08-09, 10:11 AM #195
Who the hell cares? Nobody here, beliefs aside, can prove whether god exists or not. In fact, nobody in the world can.

You can't prove god doesn't exist.

You can't prove god does exist.

End of discussion.
2005-08-09, 10:30 AM #196
Originally posted by Temperamental:
Who the hell cares? Nobody here, beliefs aside, can prove whether god exists or not. In fact, nobody in the world can.

You can't prove god doesn't exist.

You can't prove god does exist.

End of discussion.

You obviously weren't listening when I detailed the difference between a priori and a posteriori. No-one can prove that God doesn't exist a posteriori (but I'm not so sure that proving that God does exist a posteriori is impossible...), but we're interested in a priori, where most everything is possible! (until proven otherwise)
2005-08-09, 5:27 PM #197
I actually believe anything is possible. I was just pointing out the obvious fact that neither side can undeniably be proven.
2005-08-09, 11:55 PM #198
Except it can a priori.

And if you're suggesting something is impossible to prove, you have to prove that too.
2005-08-10, 12:26 AM #199
And if you're suggesting something is impossible to prove, you have to prove that too.

Prove it.
2005-08-10, 4:19 AM #200
I don't believe in ghosts, evp, etc. I guess even if ghosts exist, it's the psuedo-science that "studies" the whole thing that I'll never believe in.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

↑ Up to the top!