Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jesus Christ!
Jesus Christ!
2005-07-28, 4:06 PM #1
It's a funny little exclamation. Time to time, I blurt "Jesus Christ" or, sometimes just "Christ," in moments that I'm really surprised, annoyed or suddenly shocked. I'm not really Catholic or anything, I just say it impulsively. It doesn't make sense to cry out a name, but I just do it. Funny enough, I even have a Jewish friend who says "Jesus Christ!" as an exclamation.

As I said above, I'm not really sure why I "call out" for Jesus. Prehaps, the two words comes out so nicely. Maybe, I'm just too fond of saying it. Who else blurts out "Jesus Christ!" in certain moments of surprise, even when they aren't aren't religious?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-07-28, 4:08 PM #2
Ummm....mmkay.

No offence but is there a point to this thread?

[EDIT:] I don't blurt it out, but someone at work does each time I kill him in Gunz or he gets off the phone with a :mad: customer.
2005-07-28, 4:10 PM #3
I don't so much anymore, but whne people blurt it out, I'll reply with "Where?" or something like that.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-28, 4:12 PM #4
What about "Yes?"
2005-07-28, 4:13 PM #5
At the moment I tend to say 'Sweet Jesus' or 'Woah woah woah woah woah sweet child o mine'

I oft sayer ruder things, but I don't fancy the bannination associated with disclosing those.
2005-07-28, 4:14 PM #6
Never done that, but it's the same boat.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-28, 4:29 PM #7
i say dirty words... in the wrong places..
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-07-28, 4:36 PM #8
It always annoys the hell out of me when people use Jesus's name in vain like that. Not only because it's clearly stated in the Bible that saying his name in vain is a sin but its also extremely disrespectful.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-07-28, 4:37 PM #9
I used to often say it, then stopped.

Originally posted by Martyn:
I oft sayer ruder things, but I don't fancy the bannination associated with disclosing those.
nope.
2005-07-28, 5:01 PM #10
My dad says it all the time.
I usually just curse unless something really big happens then I might blurt out a slow "jesus...."
2005-07-28, 5:02 PM #11
I used to, but I started to catch myself and say 'jesum crow' about a year ago instead, so now I can say 'jesum crow' without even thinking about it.

YAY for kicking bad habits!
2005-07-28, 5:05 PM #12
It's blasphemy to me. If I work closely and often with someone I ask them not to say it, but if someone around me says it, I generally don't care as to them, it isn't blaspheming anything.
2005-07-28, 5:06 PM #13
I usually just dont say anything at all, maybe an underthebreath **** but that's about it.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-07-28, 5:17 PM #14
Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
What about "Yes?"

I was totally going to say that. :(
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-07-28, 5:28 PM #15
Originally posted by SavageX378:
It always annoys the hell out of me when people use Jesus's name in vain like that. Not only because it's clearly stated in the Bible that saying his name in vain is a sin but its also extremely disrespectful.

Well it shouldn't considering that not everyone believes in God. Just something to keep in mind.

I say it all the time.
D E A T H
2005-07-28, 5:29 PM #16
I grew up hearing it used so to me it's just the same as involunarily saying oh my god for crying out loud.

I actually cringe when I accidently use it or oh my god though, it just doesn't mix with my apatheism.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-07-28, 6:29 PM #17
(Well here's what most Christians Believe, just so everyone knows)

The Bible teaches against using the Lord's name in vain(Oh my god, Jesus Christ!, ect.) and it is generally frowned upon but I find a lot of Christians dismiss it or don't think about it or whatever, which makes no sense to me, it being a commandment and all, I don't see why people would do it but it's probally because most people dismiss it as being "OK" because it's "not hurting anyone" which I fell is a bunch of crap but anyway...

This is why I personally don't use the Lord's name as an exclamation. Personally it seems stupid for people to use it, especially non-christians. Alright just my two cents worth don't be bashing me or anything. ;)
2005-07-28, 7:07 PM #18
Of course, if you don't beleive that, Jesus was just a guy who lived a long time ago.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-28, 7:15 PM #19
by the name hey-zeus and stole hubcaps from cars, oh hey-zeus can I borrow your crowbar...
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-07-28, 7:20 PM #20
I often say "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" Or...if I feel Italian, "Jesu, Maria, y Giuseppe!"
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-07-28, 7:37 PM #21
"Don't **** with the Jesus."
Pissed Off?
2005-07-28, 7:37 PM #22
Yup, pretty much everyone I know says it all the time, even some christian friends.
2005-07-28, 7:59 PM #23
God: Jesus Christ!

Jesus: What?!

God: Get the Escalade, we're outta here!
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-07-28, 8:10 PM #24
Wow nice feed back SavageX and ReT (two very respectable members of the community). I agree. Being a Christian it hurts when people say that. I don't mind regular swears, they don't affect me, but using God's name in vain.......... :(

-KnightRider2000
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2005-07-28, 8:19 PM #25
I usually say "Jeeez!!" or "Jesus!" or "oh my god", and I find that I regret it, as I often use it at the wrong moment around the wrong people, and it ofends them, which I don't want to do. But it's such an instinct to say "jeez" or "oh my god" that it's hard to stop.
2005-07-28, 8:42 PM #26
Quote:
It was because of my father that from the ages of seven to fifteen, I thought that my name was Jesus Christ and my brother, Russell, thought that his name was Dammit. "Dammit, will you stop all that noise?" And, "Jesus Christ, sit down!" One day, I'm out playing in the rain, and my father yelled, "Dammit will you get back in here!" I said, "Dad, I'm Jesus Christ!"

the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-07-28, 8:43 PM #27
<3 Bill Cosby.
2005-07-28, 8:43 PM #28
Cosby \m/
2005-07-28, 9:02 PM #29
I try to avoid saying "Jesus Christ!" as much as I can, but I find it hilarious when Mr. Slave says it on South Park.......am I a bad person?
2005-07-28, 9:07 PM #30
Yes.
2005-07-28, 9:10 PM #31
just wanted to add somehting in here, for the benifit of the chrisitians in here who say the commandment says you can't say 'Jesus Christ!', etc. The Commandment actually says, "Thou shalt not use my name in vain' or some such in the dumbed down translation, but in the actual translation, this becomes considerably more specific. i forget exactly what the wording in, but basically it says that one should not use the lord's name in an oath and break it. that is what is actually meant by 'in vain', not as an exclamtion. if you were to swear on the bible, or swear by the lord on high, etc, and then break your oath or promise, that would be breaking the commandment. it doesn't really have naything to do with random explitives.

Oh, and btw, i got this from my religion class, which was taught by an ordained roman catholic priest. i'm not jsut pulling this out of my ***.

Secondly, in my opinion (no loner from the religion class, this is), when one says 'Jesus Christ!' or 'Oh God!" i consider it a prayer, at least if they're catholic. Like if something horrible happens, and they a person says "oh my god!" itsthe shorted version of something along the lines of "oh, god, don't let this be happening!", etc etc etc.
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2005-07-28, 9:43 PM #32
[QUOTE=Noble Outlaw]just wanted to add somehting in here, for the benifit of the chrisitians in here who say the commandment says you can't say 'Jesus Christ!', etc. The Commandment actually says, "Thou shalt not use my name in vain' or some such in the dumbed down translation, but in the actual translation, this becomes considerably more specific. i forget exactly what the wording in, but basically it says that one should not use the lord's name in an oath and break it. that is what is actually meant by 'in vain', not as an exclamtion. if you were to swear on the bible, or swear by the lord on high, etc, and then break your oath or promise, that would be breaking the commandment. it doesn't really have naything to do with random explitives.

Oh, and btw, i got this from my religion class, which was taught by an ordained roman catholic priest. i'm not jsut pulling this out of my ***..[/QUOTE]
Well personally I think that what one particular Roman Catholic Priest believes does not represent all of Christianity, and I think that(You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.) in no way is limited to breaking of promises, oaths, ect, just because a particular person translates it down to that for themself.

I don't think that "benefits" Christians in any way, it's just another interpretation of the Third Commandment.
[QUOTE=Noble Outlaw]
...but in the actual translation, this becomes considerably more specific. i forget exactly what the wording in, but basically it says that one should not use the lord's name in an oath and break it. that is what is actually meant by 'in vain', not as an exclamtion.[/QUOTE]
What actual translation is this? One you have heard being discussed or what you personally translate the Third Commandment down to?

[QUOTE=Noble Outlaw]Secondly, in my opinion (no loner from the religion class, this is), when one says 'Jesus Christ!' or 'Oh God!" i consider it a prayer, at least if they're catholic. Like if something horrible happens, and they a person says "oh my god!" itsthe shorted version of something along the lines of "oh, god, don't let this be happening!", etc etc etc.[/QUOTE]
If the Lord's name is used in actual prayer, then that is of course in no way violating the Third Commandment. But using the Lord's name without actually meaning("Oh my god", for example), is using the Lord's name in vain.

I really believe ''You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'' breaks down to using the Lord's name in an unsuccessful manner(I.E., exclamations and yes, oaths made using God's name without the intention of fullfilling the said oath).

See, it's like saying "Oh my Brian!" or "Brian Lozier!" if my car is stolen. Am I referring to Brian himself? No, of course not. That would be silly. ;)

ReT
2005-07-28, 10:10 PM #33
Originally posted by ReT:
(Well here's what most Christians Believe, just so everyone knows)

Originally posted by ReT:
Well personally I think that what one particular Roman Catholic Priest believes does not represent all of Christianity, and I think that(You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.) in no way is limited to breaking of promises, oaths, ect, just because a particular person translates it down to that for themself.

I don't think that "benefits" Christians in any way, it's just another interpretation of the Third Commandment.

Jesus Christ! What makes you think you represent all of Christianity? Don't claim to know what most Christians believe. For Christ's sake, take your own advice.

Dear God.
2005-07-28, 10:15 PM #34
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Jesus Christ! What makes you think you represent all of Christianity? Don't claim to know what most Christians believe. For Christ's sake, take your own advice.

Dear God.

I laughed at that. Does that make me a bad person?
2005-07-28, 10:18 PM #35
Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
I laughed at that. Does that make me a bad person?

Yes.
D E A T H
2005-07-28, 10:36 PM #36
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:

Dear God.

What are you talking about? I stated what was my opinion. :rolleyes:

And yes, most Christians believe/act in the way I stated in my first post.

You don't agree? Fine, tell me what most of them do believe.

Don't just disagree with me because I tell you what certain people believe.

Me: Serial Killers are bad, and most people think that too
You: What makes you think you represent most people? Don't claim to know what most people think.
Me: Um...ok
2005-07-28, 10:37 PM #37
God: Jesus Christ, what in the hell is that?

JC: Dont take my name in vain, dad.

God: Jeezy Chreezy, what in the hell is that?

JC: And DONT call me Jeezy Chreezy!

...I think I'm going to have to go with Noble Outlaw. Scripture written in Aramaic/Hebrew/Greek is A LOT more specific than the English translation. Such as the translation of the names of God. For example, if you notice the word lord is always printed as LORD in a weird lowercase/uppercase oxymoron. The actual word is YHWH (also known as Yahweh or Jehovah depending on how you want to pronounce it).

So in effect, unless you go around yelling something involving YHWH, you're not really invoking the LORD's name in the first place.

Of course, I dont represent anyone but myself because I refuse to align myself with the moral Borg.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-07-28, 10:43 PM #38
Originally posted by Schming:
...I think I'm going to have to go with Noble Outlaw. Scripture written in Aramaic/Hebrew/Greek is A LOT more specific than the English translation. Such as the translation of the names of God. For example, if you notice the word lord is always printed as LORD in a weird lowercase/uppercase oxymoron. The actual word is YHWH (also known as Yahweh or Jehovah depending on how you want to pronounce it).

Um...you can't get much more specific than "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain." I don't think that differs a whole lot in other translations, but by all means, tell me a few others. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Schming:
So in effect, unless you go around yelling something involving YHWH, you're not really invoking the LORD's name in the first place.

What? It still means the same thing.

ReT
2005-07-28, 10:54 PM #39
I say "Sweet Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick"
2005-07-28, 10:58 PM #40
Originally posted by Overlord:
I say "Sweet Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick"

He can walk on water, but he needs a pogo stick to jump higher?

↑ Up to the top!